Trumpet Blues

PDA

View Full Version : Trumpet Blues

chocolateman900
03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Basically I'm taking my grade 6 trumpet exam and one of my pieces is a bluesey trumpet solo and my teacher wanted me to try to listen to some blues music to get the feel right and things, but I have no idea where to start

I'm looking for mainly trumpet based stuff but things with vocals or sax or whatever would work as well, it's just a sort of moderately fast, slinky swung blues piece

Thanks if anyone can actually help me here

imgooley
03-08-2008, 02:11 AM
Miles Davis- Kind of Blue (the whole album)

Most of Louis Armstrong

Dizzy Gillespie- Salt Peanuts (and you get to say Salt Peanut in the middle of the song too)

sirbiznatch007
03-08-2008, 03:55 AM
A standard for blues and jazz trumpet playing is "Cornet Chop Suey" by Louis Armstrong. I don't know if you have heard it or not but check that out, there are tons of places to get sheet music for it, and it is not that hard to get the hang of. Learning that song taught me many classic licks on the trumpet. The trumpet solo in it is the definition of a Louis Armstrong solo, so it gives a you a good idea of the basics that Louis used to achieve his amazing style.

This site has sheet music of it and a midi of it.

http://pubcs.free.fr/jg/jazz_trumpet_transcriptions_jacques_gilbert_english.html#armstrong

Actually, that whole site is fantastic for blues and jazz trumpet.