Do cables affect the tone?

PDA

View Full Version : Do cables affect the tone?

Kidfadetoblack
03-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I have an extra $25 in my pocket. I don't know if i should spend it on movies and stuff or buy another monster cable. My question is do cables even affect the tone of the guitar or just the noise? I have a monster cable from my guitar to my pedal and a cheap ass cable from my pedal to the amp.

Highwaytohell
03-07-2008, 08:09 PM
a cable can affect tone if the quality is poor enough. a nice cable can only make the sound quality more pristine. do what you want, but a new cable would not be a terrible investment

Kivarenn82
03-07-2008, 08:10 PM
they can if you chaining up all sorts of equipment with ****ty 2$ bargain bin cords..

i think the biggest difference would be if you're using about 10-15 cords at once and then replaced them all with higher quality cords.

if its just the once cord.. i think it'd be tough to tell really, any difference might just be in your head.

apak
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
get some good gold plate monsters if your cables suck. They have a lifetime warranty so buy once, never buy again. good investment.

Kid_Thorazine
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
yeah, but it's really minuscule and probably not noticeable unless you use a whole bunch of patching (i.e. a big effects chain) and/or really bad cables.

wannabe_punk
03-07-2008, 08:13 PM
what i've heard is that an engineer will tell you no, the cable does not affect the tone, but a dedicated guitarist (aka tone freak) will tell you yes.
i guess i'm not dedicated enough to care about the cable.

no_thing101
03-07-2008, 08:14 PM
some people say there is a difference and some people say there isnt.

personally i dont think the differene is noticable.

i would reccomend u try it yourself to see if you can tell the difference.

mafropetee
03-07-2008, 08:15 PM
I'd say go ahead and get a new Monster cable. Can't argue with a lifetime warranty, and that cheapo cable will eventually die so may as well correct the problem before it arises instead of waiting and then rushing to the local music store because you're suddenly breaking up every two seconds.

Kivarenn82
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
there ya go, even if it doesn't affect your tone, the cables are garanteed for life, so you won't have to worry about buying more at least :D

stangconv
03-07-2008, 08:20 PM
no difference in tone

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

however you dont want a cable to fail at a bad time...

Planet waves cables have lifetime warrantys..

Reildeal
03-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I notice differences based on cable quality..... But shouldn't be anything to be too concerned about unless you're recording and trying to lay down some really tight and clean tracks...

For just jammin any reasonable cable is perfectly acceptable

elchico04
03-07-2008, 08:42 PM
make your own cables!

giternator
03-07-2008, 08:43 PM
this is like saying if different picks or strings make a significant enough difference in your tone. it may be there but no one is gonna care.

i say get something with lifetime warantee just b/c its free cables for life but as far as justifying the 50 bucks for a monster, the tone wont be different.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Horizon-Standard-Guitar-Cable?sku=336010 i suggest these for being cheap yet have lifetime warranties. if anything goes wrong with them, just solder it up and go. its not that hard.

dont worry too much about it. what you should worry about tone wise is your amp and guitar/pickups, thats about it.

mason092
03-07-2008, 08:48 PM
It only affects the tone if they are really ****ty.

jj1565
03-07-2008, 09:08 PM
^^well actually, imo picks and strings make a huge difference.

and no you dont need a "gold" monster cable. the gold doesnt do anything.

But you do want a good cable. planet waves, dimarzio to name a couple.

a cheap cable can add tons of noise. and a thin or faulty speaker cable can fail and do harm to a head.

elchico04
03-07-2008, 09:09 PM
a cheap cable can make you go insane when you are trying to play metal with a country radio station in the background...god I want my cables to arrive already...

jcopello
03-07-2008, 10:41 PM
YES, cables DO make a difference. i used to work for monster cable, i was into the company and their products for over 2 years, i know what im talking about. my whole rig is wired with studio pro 1000 cables, before i used crap like anyone else, and i was pleased of course because i didnt know how much tone the cables were taking from me.

once i switched to studio pro's my tone is SO much warmer and SO much more full its unbelievable. im not saying you need to go out and spend $500 on cabling, but atleast spend 30-40 on a decent monster gold rock guitar cable

stangconv
03-07-2008, 10:59 PM
YES, cables DO make a difference. i used to work for monster cable, i was into the company and their products for over 2 years, i know what im talking about. my whole rig is wired with studio pro 1000 cables, before i used crap like anyone else, and i was pleased of course because i didnt know how much tone the cables were taking from me.

once i switched to studio pro's my tone is SO much warmer and SO much more full its unbelievable. im not saying you need to go out and spend $500 on cabling, but atleast spend 30-40 on a decent monster gold rock guitar cable

So what do you say to the websites that claim that people cant tell the difference between Monster Cable and Coat Hangers?

ac/dc_freak91
03-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't get Monster Cables because they improve my tone, I get them because they reject EFI noise and are built tough.

no_thing101
03-07-2008, 11:26 PM

a cheap cable can add tons of noise. and a thin or faulty speaker cable can fail and do harm to a head.

i really do agree that picks change tone. i use two picks mainly. dunlop gator grip and ultex of the same thickness. The gator grip pick sounds pretty regular but the ultex pick adds a glassy quality to the attack of the note. i use ultex 90% of the time but thats mainly cause i use the ultex wears less.

elchico04
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
i also use ultex. I use the jazz IIIs. I feel like I get a nice crispy sharp tone from them compared to the normal jazz IIIs.

Kivarenn82
03-07-2008, 11:57 PM
picks and strings DEFINITELY make a difference in tone.. compare a standard jim dunlop nylon to a Jazz III. definitely different type of noise and texture. especially in leads. felt picks sure sound different. some people use metal.

and strings. it might be less noticeable, but compare a set of Ernie ball Stainless steels to a set of d'addario pure nickels. VERY different tones.

elchico04
03-07-2008, 11:58 PM
i have never noticed that much of a change in tone from strings. maybe there is more of a difference with different gauges?

giternator
03-08-2008, 12:01 AM
my point with the picks and strings was that its such a subtle difference that unless ur comparing them immediately you prolly wont tell or care. can you people seriously be such tone freaks that strings are part of your tone concern? im only worried about my amp and guitar and im done. whatever strings feel the best and last the longest is what ill use. d'addarios and DR strings do it for me.

i have yet to notice any difference in tone with my strings or picks and i have used tons of different picks and strings. so :p:

giternator
03-08-2008, 12:02 AM
i have never noticed that much of a change in tone from strings. maybe there is more of a difference with different gauges?

that i would agree. different gauges sound brighter, chunkier and louder or duller , thin and zero sustain.

Molsons Golden
03-08-2008, 12:14 AM
I have a whole assortment of picks that use to coax different tones out of my guitars. I like to use under powered Pups and the pick's properties and compositions dramaticly effect the tone.

I use Brossard Picks for my accoustics mostly and Dunlop Ultex .66's or Tortex .60's fpr electrics. But I use one of the top more rounded corners to strike the strings, it gives me a warmer tone. I do like to use ythe Brossard Bone pick for plating slide work, it really gives you a nice bight.

ECistheBest
03-08-2008, 12:17 AM

yea picks and strings make big difference. but can't change strings everyday due to funding issue. i use fender celluloid premium heavy.

cheap cables add noise. crappy cable sound dull. crap but short cables are okay. crappy long cables are horrible.

monster is just a crap company. iono how they have such reputation tho. same goes to mogami.

i made my own cables and its wonderful. they're 20' and its better than my 6ft livewire i had. :)

elchico04
03-08-2008, 12:19 AM
^ill soon be joining you. my order has been delayed because the jacks I ordered were out of stock :(

stratman_13
03-08-2008, 12:23 AM

+1

IbanezPsycho
03-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Like stated above only thing that would effect quality is porely made cables with bad solder connections or hair thin wire size. Also the type of surrounding material can make a difference in keeping noise out. A cheap set Guitar Center gave me makes a loud static noise when it rubs accross the carpet or if something is rubbed against the carpet. That set is now my guitar repair test set needless to say lol

jcopello
03-08-2008, 12:42 AM
So what do you say to the websites that claim that people cant tell the difference between Monster Cable and Coat Hangers?
nothing really to say, people have their opinions. there is a reason monsters been around for over 20 years making top notch ****, and just because recently a few snobs that state theres no difference between a coat hanger and a top quality cable, doesnt mean its true. they want to go to walmart and load up on coat hangers to connect their precious 20k studio or theater, be my guest. if youve met the owner of the company and see how everythings made you would have no question that monsters the real deal. when i start seeing coat hangers starting to cost $150 with connectors soldered onto them, then maybe we'll talk.

as of now, im sticking with my studio pro's for life, end of story.

PiperDawnsGate
03-08-2008, 12:59 AM
It really depends, if you have a lot of cable from your guitar to your amp then changing will effect tone. But if it's only cabled by about 10-20 feet, then there wont be a noticeable difference. And to the person who said gold doesn't effect anything, actually it does. Signal passes though gold much easier and faster than say copper, or some other metal. I say TS for your setup, you shouldn't be changing cables yet, but you should always have a backup so yeah...

jj1565
03-08-2008, 01:07 AM
^nah, the gold isnt going to improve ur tone. it'll help against corrosion provided you have gold to gold contact. most people dont anyway.

PiperDawnsGate
03-08-2008, 01:24 AM
^nah, the gold isnt going to improve ur tone. it'll help against corrosion provided you have gold to gold contact. most people dont anyway.

You're right gold wont improve tone, what i meant to say is that it'll help send the full signal, so you won't get as much noise. See signal passes through some metals better than others. If i can remember correctly from my physics class days it goes gold->copper->silver, in order of resistance. Longer the cable the more the signal will degrade. Same with metals the signal passes through.

elchico04
03-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Gold corrodes much slower than copper.

all metals corrode. some in seconds and most, over many years.

ECistheBest
03-08-2008, 01:43 AM
gold has better conductivity than nickel. but then gold is only used at the tip. imo, the tip is like 3 inches and then you get copper. it won't change tone. only if the whole cable was gold, it'd conduct better, but that'd be really fragile, won't even bend, and it'd be super expensive.

elchico04
03-08-2008, 01:47 AM
im about to get solid gold cables...when im rich. who knows maybe it will become a new rap trend for rappers to wear cables around their necks instead of big chains.

Cool55155
03-08-2008, 02:40 AM
Yes there is a difference because gold conducts electricity or w/e better so it will sound crisper. less fuzz, not a huge amount but it will.

angeldef
03-08-2008, 03:06 AM
I'm not sure about tone per say but i notice with a cheap cable AKA the one that comes with the guitar, they tend to make buzzing noise when combine with the amp or hum which one can say worsen the tone. So i guess if you look at it this way, it does affect the tone. :)

Tackleberry
03-08-2008, 03:18 AM
The free cables that come with a new guitar go from the box to the trash. They dont even make good test cables as the last one I got was bad when brand new. Good cables are worth investing in. Funny to see someone with a 2k amp and 2k guitar with the cheapest cable at the store connecting them. Higher quality will last longer and carry a better signal. The cheaper ones will use smaller wire which doesnt flow as good as larger wire. Will it make tone better maybe wont choke it so much so more signal. More signal more gain. Ask car stereo guys there is good speaker wire and not so good.

Washburnd Fretz
03-08-2008, 04:37 AM

BINGO!! ...try using active pups with some el cheapo non-shielded cables....
Cables are highly overrated...but man..a good cable makes a huge difference.
The cables are carrying your signal. Poor conduction will chip away at your
sound. Poor cables wont carry the entire signal of your sound to the amp.
The same way poor cables can effect the speed of your internet connection.

kiefermatot
03-08-2008, 04:47 AM
To me, tone varies a little bit with different patch cords. I have a Planet Waves patch cord right now, and it sounds a little more muddy than any other patch cord I've played with.

OldNo[7]Brand(
03-08-2008, 05:56 AM
IMO cables dont affect the tone I´ve got some really old ones and just bought new high quality cables and there´s no difference, but the lifetime argument is pretty nice;) I think there´s nothing like that in germany-_-

beckyjc
03-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Well cheap calbes = crappy sheilding & bad reliability.

Basically dont go out and spend £20 on 2 15cm patch cables, but dont buy them in a pack of 6 for a fiver either. Find something in the middle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-2-x-GUITAR-EFFECTS-PEDAL-PATCH-CABLES-cgg2_W0QQitemZ120227339690QQihZ002QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thick cable and good metal jacks will do it.

guitarcrazy1991
03-08-2008, 07:15 AM
OR make your own with switchcraft jacks. :)

whoismilan
03-08-2008, 08:06 AM
TBH, I think that the only reason why people think Monster cables are any better than a lot of the cheaper 10-20 EUR/USD cables are because of price. "They cost more so they must be better!" I'm not saying that cables don't matter, but a lot of the stuff out there is ridiculously overpriced. I'd take a few meters of decent cable and some Neutrik connectors over any Monster product.

I fail to see why that example is used when we're discussing instrument cables...

I have no idea what kind of resistance the coat hangers have, but I would be most worried that they might cause damage to the amplifier. Instrument cables on the other hand are completely different. Here, the resistance would not matter unless it's in the thousands, but what would matter is the poor capacitance/shielding of the coat hanger. It would both cause the tone to change, especially through loss of high frequencies, and more easily allow interferences in the weak signal which comes from the guitar.

Liam.
03-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I used some thin crappy cables for awhile, they definately clip the signal...made my headphones vibrate, thick and good cables corrected this.

no_thing101
03-08-2008, 08:59 AM
well if you want overpriced cables....

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72793

marvelboy_04
03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
i tried using a cheap cable the other day, instead of my monster, and i think it had alot of buzz and lost high end. monster cables are great. i spent a 50 buck gift card on 2.

elchico04
03-08-2008, 07:31 PM
those silver cables will sound like crap compared to the gold ones im going to get :p:

I'm making my own cables. Anyone know where I can find that tangle-resistant mesh they put over cables so that they don't twist up?

ECistheBest
03-08-2008, 07:51 PM
OR make your own with switchcraft jacks. :)
psh. neutrik ftw!

chea_man
03-08-2008, 07:56 PM
yes it effects it big time. if youve never used good ones then you dont really notice, but once you go from good to bad or bad to good you notice.
as soon as i get my tax refund (in a week or so) im ordering quality cable in bulk along with the ends and making my own custom cables.

twistudriffer
03-15-2008, 04:48 AM
I agree with a lot of people here and disagree with a lot of people here. Personally, I do think monsters give you a little more tone but they are not the best cable out there. My rig is completely "monstered" up but I am starting to switch to Mogami elites for 3 reasons: they sound just as good, they are cheaper and built better. I have snapped off the ends on monsters countless times and even talked to people at GC who said they get returns daily on them and do you know how many times I have returned (yes they have the lifetime warrenty too) my new Mogami cables? none. I rest my case. thank you ladies and genitalmen and good night.

Schneiderman
04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
This is from an interview with Cesar Diaz, who knew everything about tone.

"Anyway, I sent messages to both Lenny Kravitz and Eric Johnson that part of the secret to getting great tone was using weaker pickups and coil cables. The coil cables add a lot of capacitance and inductance to your signal chain, therefore, when you’re playing through a Marshall, you’re cutting back on the high frequencies. When we were doing the In Step album with Stevie, I had an endorsement with Monster Cables. They would send me all of this free stuff and I was very excited because I could manage these things for a guy like Stevie, who really didn’t even know how to wash dishes. All he knew how to do was play the guitar, but God bless him for that, because he really did something with what he knew. Anyway, I took these cables we got to Stevie and he said, 'I hate these things.' I asked him, 'Why, man, they’re the best cables in the world?' He said, 'They pass to much electricity.' Those were his exact words, and I’ll never forget it as long as I live. 'They pass too much electricity.'"

"They were too efficient?"

"Yeah, so he sent me out to the local Radio Shack and told me to buy every gray coil cord they had – not the black ones, only the gray ones. And I thought, 'Hhmm, this freakin’ hick from Dallas is telling me this?' I got them and ran them through my capacitance meter and found out that they added like almost .05 mfd to the signal chain. That made it sound solid – it was like having a tone control, and the brightness and harshness that the Marshalls had was eliminated. There isn’t a single picture of Hendrix… back then they already had high-end cables, but there isn’t a single picture of Hendrix where you see him playing with a straight cable."

BAoxymoron
04-06-2008, 02:01 PM
depends
if you have a **** amp it'll sound like **** even if it's delivered absolutely lossless
iow if you don't have good speakers and a tube amp the only benefit is the NO QUESTIONS asked return policy

beckyjc
04-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Old thread is old.

Im sure the TS has grandkids by now. :p:

BAoxymoron
04-06-2008, 02:09 PM
i have grand nephews

MrCarrot
04-06-2008, 02:12 PM
my point with the picks and strings was that its such a subtle difference that unless ur comparing them immediately you prolly wont tell or care. can you people seriously be such tone freaks that strings are part of your tone concern? im only worried about my amp and guitar and im done. whatever strings feel the best and last the longest is what ill use. d'addarios and DR strings do it for me.

i have yet to notice any difference in tone with my strings or picks and i have used tons of different picks and strings. so :p:I use Pure Nickel exclusively, huge difference over the vast majority of other strings.

And picks do make a subtle difference, although I find it's mostly dynamics.

Cables DO make a difference. This is fact. A very cheap cable will be flimsy and easy to break, and also have incomplete outer shielding (one of my Squier cables has only 50% outer braid) making it very very noisy. Also, cheap cable has a far higher capacitance than expensive cable. The capacitance is what affects tone - its why patch leads make much less difference than a 50ft lead. The longer a cable gets, the higher the capacitance. This capacitance will suck predominantly treble, but also a little bit of bass. High quality cable can get to something like 50pF/m, wheras cheap stuff can get to something like 150pF/metre. The higher it is, the more capacitance there is and the more suckage occurs.

Also, gold plating. It does have an affect, but it's only subtle. It increases connectivity. Basically, if you have a Frontman then don't expect it so make much of a difference, but if you have a good tube rig, then changing all your jacks to gold plated will make a difference.

whoismilan
04-06-2008, 05:01 PM
This is from an interview with Cesar Diaz, who knew everything about tone.
That's an excellent example on how opinions on good tone and how to get it differs from person to person. Long coords of less than optimal quality gives the effect that some would not want, as much as it's called "tone sucking", yet it has been an part of many famous guitarists tones. :cheers:

nickbob00
04-06-2008, 06:42 PM
The cable wont affect the tone, unless it is ridiculously long/terrible quality

HOWEVER It is worth getting good cables so they are strong and have good connectors

Its all about quality and reliability

EDIT: I assume your current cable is properly sheilded

litus
04-06-2008, 08:09 PM
cheap cables make a lot of noise and cut some frequencys in the sound as far as i know

when i started with a cheap guitar and a really cheap cable, after some months of use the cable make superloudnoise wich i consider were part of the distorion i used but when i change my cable it was awesome

Ventor
04-07-2008, 07:39 AM
I used to buy cheap cables when I was a student ($5-10 for 5m cable) and they broke down every 2 or 3 months. If you step on them you could be sure they'd break.
A while later I bought $25 planet waves cables and never had to replace them (have them for 2 years now). One of them suddenly didn't work anymore, but you can easily repair them by cutting the faulty section and re-attaching the plug.
Also good quality cables prevent electrical interference by better shielding.
Not to mention the required quality for speaker cables if you use tube amps.

Also remember the quality of the sound can only be as good as the source (ie guitar or amp).

peterk505
01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I've been doing some modifications to a guitar on and off for about a year. The guitar has Lace Sensor pickups, which I've heard some people claim "compress" the sound. One of the problems I have had with the guitar is getting enough pick attack at certain settings, and I've been playing through a nicely built tube amp - a Rivera Pubster 25. So, to remedy the tone problem I found out about things like switching to a harder pick, which made a difference. For the guitar, I heard about switching from 250K pots to 500K or even 1 meg for a brighter tone. I've read "hot" wound pickups (like the Lace Sensors I have) can open up more in the high frequencies when you do this because the higher Z pots bleed less high frequencies to ground. Indeed, the sound was brighter when I switched from 250K to 1 meg on my tone pot. But... today, I made a very startling discovery that made me just want to kick myself.

For the longest time I've been using a "Groove Plugs" 20 foot cable (I think I got it at Sam Ash). After reading recently in several guitar repair books that the tone of your guitar can, in some cases, be drastically altered if you have too much capacitance in the cable I decided to do a small listening test. Before I sold it, I had a preamp that only had an unbalanced output, and I had bought a nice 3 foot Mogami cable to connect it. I had never thought of trying this cable with the guitar because it's so short. Today, I did a quick A and B test with the two cables, and I even made a recording of the results. It was like night and day. Using the 20 foot cable, I had almost no pick attack and the tone carried a lot more mud compared to the Mogami cable. With less capacitance in the cable there was more sparkle and definition available that was probably always coming through from the Lace pickups, but my cable was blocking it. The sound DEFINATELY lost what someone might have called a "compressed" sound.

I confess I too was on my way to blaming the design of the pickups, but what I really needed to do was use a better guitar cable to improve the tone. Unless you're using active pickups, NEVER underestimate the effect your guitar cable may be having on your tone.

It's true there's two factors here: the length of the cable and the manufacturer. I won't know if the tone sucking capacitance goes to acceptable levels if I shorten the old cable to maybe 8 feet. Worth a try. Either way, I'll be getting another Mogami cable. :D

If you want to read something a bit more technical on the subject, see this:
http://www.aqdi.com/cablecap.htm

peterk505
01-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I got a hold of a 12 foot Mogami Silver Series Instrument cable, and I was able to compare it with the 3 foot Mogami cable I have. It's the same cable except for the connectors. The 3 foot cable has less high frequencies being lost. It's very audible. So, even among Mogami cables (at least in the Silver Series) cable capacitance can still be a problem. I just can't believe how open, dynamic, and responsive the guitar sounds when you can minimize the capacitance in the cable. If it wasn't so awkward I would keep using the 3 foot cable!

ToneMonster
07-04-2010, 07:30 PM
I was a little surprised (but not really) in reading this thread on proper cables.
Sometimes I think the inexperienced are fed a bunch of crap to keep them from evolving in knowledge.

A little issue here: using your ears as a judge of what sounds better against something else...hardly always a proper reference for things and issues beyond the capability of the human ear, the loss of range or limitations in a person's individual hearing, or trying to judge sound quality outside or beyond the limited range and discerning ability of the limited human ear.

The ear cannot detect sub sonic or hyper sonic frequencies, and a difference within the range of hearing has to be pretty gross to be an immediate comparision. Imagine a guitar tuner with a gross or fine cent accuracy. Does it make a difference? Everything makes a difference.

The issue of human hearing "opinon" is eactly why we have different guitars, different amp circuits, and an infinite range of guitar pedal manufacturers. We all hear differently and we all like different tonal "sounds".

Is is propossed the human ear can detect the hundredths, or thousandths, of a low percent in the THD level in a circuit or cable? Or the amount of capacitence loading, the over all bandwidth frequency spectrum of a cable or signal, when these levels are way below and beyond the threshold of gross human hearing???

Why does one think we use frequency analyzer equipment and pink noise generators to accurantely meaure and divide the frequency range spectrum to accurately adjust proper equalization on a sound system? Imagine going to an arena concert where a soundman has set the EQ balance and frequency spectrum to suit his personal hearing verses one that has been properly EQ'ed via spectrum analyzer and pink noise balance to cut and boost what is really being produced to an accurate sound balance??? Think there is no difference?

It's like saying your tuning is "close enough". Does being off tune "just a little" effect the quality, feel and performance of the music? Imagine a sound system pushing hundreds of watts of sub sonic low frequency or wasting watts pushing upper hyper frequencies you really cannot hear? Can the ear really detect when there is a overt peak at 400hz and not enough at 3hz? Example being, ears are not always a great judge of should you buy and use quality cables. I can guarantee the 12 yr old beginner cannot hear what Eric Johnson hears in the difference in batteries, cables or different boxes, is there something there beyond his imagination? You would have to hook up some sound engineering meaurement equipment to really meaure and tell AND that my guitar friends IS THE point entirely. Otis down the street may not be able to hear a good cable on his amp, but I can tell the difference on mine with my pedal board gear.

Quality cables make a difference, gold makes a difference over stainless steel, the size and conductivity, capacitence loading and bandwidth transfer capability of cables makes a difference. Can you immediately "hear" it, probably not, but the overall quality of the sound system or pedal chain is improved which effects how it "feels" how it "responds to your touch", and how "the overall quality and presence of the sound" turns out.

Plumbing your system with good high quality, insulated cables with gold jacks will improve it and it will improve it beyond your limited range of hearing.

The noise floor (the hiss under the sound when you are not playing), and the response of your system to the pickup signal through the cable.

Yes, it makes a difference AND I might add it is not all about MONSTER cable or what cost the most. Check the specs on the cable, the size of it, the quality of the shielding and insulation. You do not always have to pay alot for a good cable, look for sales. I got a complete set of Core X2 thick gold, heavy shield HD transfer cables for like $5 a 1ft patch and $10 a 10-15ft cable line. Better than a lot of Monster hype. Do not get stuck too much in name brands as you are playing more for that name than perhaps the materials being used!

Just offering some decades of experience in sound engineering and guitar pedal addictions for those who will "hear".

jj1565
07-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I was a little surprised (but not really) in reading this thread on proper cables.
Sometimes I think the inexperienced are fed a bunch of crap to keep them from evolving in knowledge.

and i think guys that post in old threads just to puff themselves up, come across as arrogant.

but that's just me.

ToneMonster
07-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Oh I see, you mean like you just did???

Smell that? It's called irony.

Dreadfully sorry, I did not look that it was an "old thread". I was just looking for discussions and issues as I have not been here before. I didn't realize it was all just to insult people. I thought someone might actually look on a site like this for info.

I see your one of those "arrogant" posters who really has nothing to be arrogant about. I will try to pay attention to the dates from now on, lest I comment on something that would be no longer of concern like quality cables or claiming not to "hear" a difference.

Cathbard
07-07-2010, 01:49 AM
An anecdote from the king of tone, Carlos Santana.
Carlos bought a wireless system and found that his tone suddenly turned to crap. He replaced the short patch lead between receiver and amp with the normal cable he always used and suddenly all his tone came back.
Cables DO make a difference.

Roc8995
07-07-2010, 02:05 AM
I see your one of those "arrogant" posters who really has nothing to be arrogant about.
Perhaps a reading of the rules, and an attitude adjustment, would help in your case.

Don't come into this forum, break the rules, and then insult members who have been giving good advice here for years just because you couldn't handle the blow to your ego.