Texas Special Pickups

PDA

View Full Version : Texas Special Pickups

GD_GC
03-08-2008, 01:49 PM
So if this needs to go into Guitar G&A just move it, but I want answers from some of the blues players here. I'm thinking about buying the Fender Custom Shop Texas Special pickups and putting them into my Classic Player's 50s Strat. They are quite expensive though, and my question is will they make a real noticeable tone difference? I still just have the stock pickups in there, and if these pickups really will make me sound better, I'm gonna go for it. But if it won't change my sound that much, I'm going to save the money I have for a new amp. So what do you guys think?

Dimebag22
03-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Do it man. I know that your style is Texas blues like SRV and such and it would be amazing to your tone. I would like to get some of those but I'm broke as hell right now. It makes your tone a lot hotter and just overall it makes a great sound for your style. I don't own them but I've tried them out and I really like them.

Blurry 505
03-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Do it. I dunno if youve been in the Show Your Axe thread, but ive got the tele with the tex mex pickups. The alignment goes (Tele) Tex Mex, (Strat) Tex Mex, (Tele) Tex Mex. If anyone is interested in the texas blues i would recommend them these pickups (Strat or Tele).

Definitely a noticeable tone. The ONLY downside is that the volume on the guitar itself is very very ... how do i say it ... absent? Like, its hard to hear the playing if the pickup volumes arent almost all the way up or at least 3/4. But it sounds so good to the point where thats not a problem.

As for the final, these pickups in your guitar will sound good through almost any amp. No joke. I would get the pickups, save up for a while then get the amp. You'll be very happy you did.

Hope that helps, an lemme know if you have any other questions about em!

Firebread
03-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Ya I love those things. When I make my own guitar in a little while I'll be using tex mex pickups. I suggest going to like a guitar center finding a normal strat then a tex mex strat and play em both and see the difference yourself.

Jimmy94
03-08-2008, 02:41 PM
I haven't played the tex mex's, but I have dimarzio area '58 and '61's in my strat and I love them to death! completely noiseless also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwubC7G0NZM

GD_GC
03-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey thanks for the responses guys. Yeah I think I'm gonna go for it, but I'll try to get over to my local music store first and see if they have any advice. I think I'm gonna get them though!

:cheers:

gopherthegreat
03-08-2008, 06:21 PM
those sound damn good

TUMFP
03-08-2008, 06:26 PM
My GC has some Tex Special loaded strats, good to try. It seems though, I am a dissenting opinion. I have these neck and mid, in my strat. It is a custom strat, with a poplar body, so it is possible it could be wired wrong, because I did it myself. They sound real good, but I get a thin high end from them. Kind of brittle, but as of recent I have acquired a taste for low output pups so I my ears are in a different direction. But don't rule them out because of me, I would definitely try them if you can. And through my Peavey Classic 30 the cleans are surprisingly pleasant.

dr_john
03-10-2008, 09:07 AM
i put texas specials in my MIA standard strat, i guarantee you will get a noticable improvement in tone. they are much louder and the cleans are superb. they are noiseless with the bridge/middle and neck/middle combinations selected as the middle pickup is reverse wound with respect to the other two.

go for it!

Ze0_85
04-14-2010, 04:56 AM
i put texas special on my am std strat.. i love it, nice warm and punchy sound compare to the stock am std pickup..

You have to set the texas special pickup quite low (about 3.6mm bass side and 2.5mm treble side) to get the nice, warm, sparkle sound.. when i first install it, i set the pickup high and get that harsh and middy sound, then i lower the pickup and i love the sound so much, well balanced, warm and punch but still have that vintage straty sound

cheers,
Ze0

ze monsta
04-14-2010, 06:15 PM
i put texas special on my am std strat.. i love it, nice warm and punchy sound compare to the stock am std pickup..

You have to set the texas special pickup quite low (about 3.6mm bass side and 2.5mm treble side) to get the nice, warm, sparkle sound.. when i first install it, i set the pickup high and get that harsh and middy sound, then i lower the pickup and i love the sound so much, well balanced, warm and punch but still have that vintage straty sound

cheers,
Ze0
Wow, blast from the ****ing past this is. :haha:
Eric stopped posting on UG yonks ago... and all the blues and jazz regs migrated to other parts of the forums or don't post on UG much (if at all in most cases).

dr_john
04-15-2010, 03:52 AM
some of the posts above are talking about tex mex pickups as if they are the same thing as texas specials. they are not.

i don't know off hand the technical difference, but texas specials are the more expensive and better product.