Whats the point?

PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point?

manmanster
03-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Alright. Let me give you guys a little background story as to the nation of my predicament.

So I've been playing guitar for about three years now. For the first year I was mainly into rock, and focused on that. But by my second year, I joined my High School's jazz band and started to like jazz a great deal. I started taking private lessons, specifically for jazz, and jazz only. I've been focused on that for about 2 years, I practice every day, I'm an extremely skilled improviser, I sing what I play, I know a great deal of chord theory and voicings, I play a hollowbody, I listen to a good deal of jazz, although I am not the greatest sight reader in the world (I still nail all my charts though).

This leads me to my principle point of contention.

I went to competition today, one of several I've already gone to. The judicator's taped judication and comments still don't remark upon anything that I do. I have two solos, I'm clearly audible (but not blaring), I had other members of my jazz band who never really comment on my playing, and said my solos' and changing were tight, that for one tune we did, my note choice was perfect. And still, AGAIN. THE ****ING JUDICATORS IGNORE MY EXISTENCE. One is a jazz ****ing guitar player for christ's sake!

Its bad enough that studying jazz guitar in the academic world is almost impossible. Its bad enough my director doesn't know what comping is. Its bad enough that my director wants me to turn down my volume to nothing. Its bad enough that as an instrument, (sans solo artists whos focus is guitar) it contributes NOTHING to a jazz band, but now I am not even presented with the means to improve myself via a third party talking of my mistakes and merits.

What the hell am I supposed to do? This is the most frustrating field of study I can imagine. I play a good deal of rock still, and I'm seriously considering dropping jazz guitar forever at this point in favor of studying rock. At least my skills as a musician will be acknowledged and respected in that setting.

Firebread
03-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Well if you want to drop jazz but your good at it then I suggest doing rock with a lot of Jazz influence in your solos, add some arpeggios and such instead of the same old Blues Scales you usually hear. You'll sound damn good and your jazz studies won't go to waste.

Punk Poser
03-09-2008, 12:09 AM
You might as well drop jazz if you have the warped idea that jazz guitar contributes nothing to a jazz band.

aetherspear
03-09-2008, 12:18 AM
School jazz bands are not good representations of actual jazz bands. The guitar is usually typecast into the rhythm section, since the horns and winds dominate the melody. I'm sure the pianist is just as mad as you for being placed in the back all the time. Start up a smaller combo so you can be heard.

Jimmy94
03-09-2008, 01:36 AM
if recognition is what you want you'll definitely have to play with small combos like aether says

Mr.Cuddles
03-09-2008, 09:59 AM
yah it's school band, don't stop if you still have fun playin, i played bass iin a school band and i had to play root notes the whole time :(
(im a guitarist anyways but wanted to play som basslines...)

do what aether says and join a smaller group so you can really shine...

meh!
03-09-2008, 10:34 AM
You're not a primary instrument in a jazz band... you might have solos, but for the rest of the time except to be ignored.

Wait till you're out of school, then find some like minded people who you can play with.

Andrewbiles
03-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Find a group of people that you can form a smaller group with and determine your own direction. If you know all the theory and are as good an improviser as you claim you should have no problems getting with a bunch of people and playing music for the love of music rather than competition.

Slash 602
03-09-2008, 12:40 PM
You can't expect to be the star in a jazz band, lol. I'm sure there are some other good players in your jazz band (bass, drums, piano, sax, etc.). Try getting some guys together and forming a smaller ensemble. What types of jazz specificaly do you like to play?

gopherthegreat
03-09-2008, 01:05 PM
well, its a school jazz band......

manmanster
03-09-2008, 08:05 PM
You might as well drop jazz if you have the warped idea that jazz guitar contributes nothing to a jazz band.

Warped? The "great" freddie green said it best, "Jazz guitar should be felt, not heard".

Im glad the style contributes nothing sonically in a jazz band, because, you know, who needs that?