Short of Guitarists

PDA

View Full Version : Short of Guitarists

Dimster Ds
03-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Ok, I might be starting a band soon with some friends because they want to make a band (Also, they are dead serious, it scares me sometimes)

One problem, I know where to find heaps of drummers and bass players, but there are no decent guitarists around my age (I'm 14), I think i might have problems because the limitations (No harmonic riffs, no backing guitar parts for solos, not much covers I'd like to do that have one guitar)

I know a lot of bands that have had only one guitarist but sometimes, without a backing guitarist, it sound a bit empty

And I can't really go advertising because I'm not sure how I'm going to get this band going at the moment and no one would want to join a band when there might ot be a stable band

How can I get over these hurdles?

Also, I live in a small town in australia with only 5000 people and most of them are into techno and stuff

flincher74
03-09-2008, 05:03 AM
well to be truthfully honest, its not so hard to play guitar. so... teach someone whos interested. it always works, as long as you deal with the lead parts, the rhythm parts wont be so hard to learn.

aaron6890
03-09-2008, 05:04 AM
when you record do double tracks, when you play live and practice have your bass uses distortion it will make it sound fuller. as for you, just mix the rythem and lead in songs until you get something you like or you get a new guitarist.

Dimster Ds
03-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Well, if i got a rhythm guitarist, or a second guitarist, I'd want them to be decent enough so they can play pretty good rhythms, not crazy shredding, but just a bit more difficult than begginer, also i want to make some songs with complex structures, and I'm not sure who i would get to learn it, I don't know much people who would want to learn it

And to the other dude, I'm going to get my bassist to use distortion, the bass is my 17 month younger brother and he is pretty good, I was also thinking of getting another bass play so i can get one bass to keep the rhythm while my bro goes crazy on his bass

SlackerBabbath
03-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Guys! You heard him, there's heaps of drummers and bassists in Australia
*stands back out of the way of the stampede* :D

Just carry on and try your best at covering any quiet spots you notice due to a lack of another guitarist. Eventualy, either you'll become one damn good all round guitarist or you'll find another guitarist to add to your band.
Either way, you win.

DanielQ
03-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Just continue as planned with one guitarist, but keep looking for backing guitar. Let him join once you find someone you're satisfied with.

Souls United
03-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Well, if i got a rhythm guitarist, or a second guitarist, I'd want them to be decent enough so they can play pretty good rhythms, not crazy shredding, but just a bit more difficult than begginer, also i want to make some songs with complex structures, and I'm not sure who i would get to learn it, I don't know much people who would want to learn it

And to the other dude, I'm going to get my bassist to use distortion, the bass is my 17 month younger brother and he is pretty good, I was also thinking of getting another bass play so i can get one bass to keep the rhythm while my bro goes crazy on his bass
I did a double take there for a second... I thought you mean 17 months old not 17 months younger than you

:D

Footzyrama
03-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I did a double take there for a second... I thought you mean 17 months old not 17 months younger than you

lol

just play with the set-up you got going. But keep an eye out for a new guy!

Dimster Ds
03-09-2008, 08:04 PM

He's just turned 13 at the moment, and we are looking for a bass to buy him because he hates the school's bass he is hiring

dullsilver_mike
03-10-2008, 03:10 AM
where in the hell do you live that the bass players and drumers outnumber the guitar players!?!?! Is it a magic pixie world full of rhythm and groove.... I want to live there. WHy don't you pick out your bass player and drummer (so you know where you're going with the band, and can get some stability) then advertise for a guitar player. Sounds like an obvious approach.

Dimster Ds
03-10-2008, 04:36 AM
I'm not sure about the number of basses and drummers, it's just out of my school, I know who the drummer is and bass, and I don't want to advertise, as i said, I'm sure if this thing is going to be stable and up and running yet, at the moment, the band is only a mere thought

Again, I'm only 14, I don't know any good guitar players that have any interest in metal that are my age

binkythefurious
03-10-2008, 04:52 AM
....and most of them are into techno and stuff

Dear God. Everytime I read something like that, I think to myself, maybe a nuclear war wouldn't be such a terrible thing.....

dullsilver_mike
03-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure about the number of basses and drummers, it's just out of my school, I know who the drummer is and bass, and I don't want to advertise, as i said, I'm sure if this thing is going to be stable and up and running yet, at the moment, the band is only a mere thought

Again, I'm only 14, I don't know any good guitar players that have any interest in metal that are my age

I meant it would be stable and up and running if you secured the bass player and drummer, then you could get over your apprehension and adverstise.... If you have already chosen a drummer and bass player and they are all for it, then I don't see why you are hesitent to put up an ad at all.

Dimster Ds
03-11-2008, 04:18 AM
I meant it would be stable and up and running if you secured the bass player and drummer, then you could get over your apprehension and adverstise.... If you have already chosen a drummer and bass player and they are all for it, then I don't see why you are hesitent to put up an ad at all.
I have the drummer, the issue is I'm not really getting told what is happening, you see, these two girls are trying to organize it, they are my bro's friends, and I'm not sure if it will happen at all, haven't heard about rehearsals or nothing :rolleyes:

I'm asking this incase we get this actually happening and how to fill in those empty spots, plus I wouldn't comfitable if I didn't know the guitarist that well, so I would have to know them if they were going to go in our band

I'll just fill in for the moment an be an only guitarist till something good comes up, I should be coping with it

Teh1337Hax0rz
03-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Go to a local guitar shop and just sit there and watch people play, if you like what they play, walk up to them and ask them if they're in a band or if they want to jam.

Dimster Ds
03-12-2008, 04:05 AM
Go to a local guitar shop and just sit there and watch people play, if you like what they play, walk up to them and ask them if they're in a band or if they want to jam.
I would love to do that but one prob, the nearest music store is half an hour away and I never see people my age there when i do go, sometimes it sucks where I live :(

En_zed
03-12-2008, 05:11 AM
I feel sorry for you dude - I have fifteen guitarists in my music class alone...

Dunjma
03-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Guys! You heard him, there's heaps of drummers and bassists in Australia
*stands back out of the way of the stampede* :D

bahaha he almost has it right. we have more bassists than you can poke a stick at but unfortunately drummers (or good ones at least) are still impossible to come by. fortunatley for me i have come by one and he is in my band :D

to TS, dude guitarists grow on trees anywhere you go. im sure you could find someone. :rolleyes: