First Show...Yes or No?

PDA

View Full Version : First Show...Yes or No?

Metaphysics
03-10-2008, 01:51 AM
recently my band signed up on a website that runs battle of the bands, promotion type stuff for lesser-known groups. recently this website contacted me about opening up for a band at a club in town. this would be the first show for us as a band, and i'm not sure whether or not we should take it.

My largest concern is that we only have 2 originals, and one of them is pretty shaky right now. the show is in a month and a bit, and as of right now we only have a half hour- forty minute set that is mostly covers. I believe we'd be the first band on. Would a mostly cover set be acceptable at a halfway respectable show?

insideac
03-10-2008, 01:56 AM
If you work your ass off for the whole month, you can pull it off. I have a show on Easter and I only have 2 members right now, and we have to practice with backing tracks for live shows, I have to learn the lyrics to all songs, and they are all originals. Plus we are recording a demo, and it has to be all done by the first show. We are able to meet this deadline though cuz we are working non stop day and night. It all depends on how much you guys work

david_highland
03-10-2008, 01:58 AM
If you work your ass off for the whole month, you can pull it off. I have a show on Easter and I only have 2 members right now, and we have to practice with backing tracks for live shows, I have to learn the lyrics to all songs, and they are all originals. Plus we are recording a demo, and it has to be all done by the first show. We are able to meet this deadline though cuz we are working non stop day and night. It all depends on how much you guys work

agreed...

rush5757
03-10-2008, 02:13 AM
you should talk to your band about it. see if they're willing to put forth the effort.

Anywho, I say do it. Worst situation possible: you guys play like crap but learn from it.

Either way it will be a good experience. Do it or you'll regret it.

jaypooner
03-10-2008, 02:15 AM
whats the site?

HethaHORRIFIC
03-10-2008, 02:39 AM
doubt it. just wait, use the time to get some songs written and rehersed. sorry to be the spoil sport. but playing a lame gig cause you had to get it all together real quickly sucks. therere wll be more, so just get ready quickly for when they come up, like how this one did. (out of the blue)

FuzzyBear
03-10-2008, 08:26 AM
i personally only endorse accepting gigs if your 100% ready to play

bad first impressions will probably mean you wont get invited back to play any more gigs

axemanchris
03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
There is a big difference between *learning* more originals in time for the show, and actually *writing and learning* more originals in time for the show. I would NOT place my bets on being able to write half a dozen more half-decent originals and have them tight in a month. Never. If you play the covers and play them well, you're much better off.

The audience would rather hear a tight set of six covers and two decent originals than two decent originals done well, and six crappy ones performed like they were thrown together in less than a month. Guaranteed.

CT

Dream Pin
03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
i personally only endorse accepting gigs if your 100% ready to play

bad first impressions will probably mean you wont get invited back to play any more gigs

+1

You want to blow them away at your first gig. The headline band AND the audience. S'what we did, waited until we were ready, played a support gig and got asked to play gigs with the other bands, got invited back for regular gigs at that venue and the owner of the club is promoting us.

Don't play a gig just cos you've been offered it. People say "it doesn't matter if you **** up your first gig," and it's partially true, but why waste the time if you're not sure it's gonna be gravy? Your first gig can do great things for you, don't **** it up yo.

gald
03-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I would say no.

I completly understand the desire to get out there and play. But you don't want to get up there with a "shaky" set and be mediocore. That will leave a bad taste in the mouths of the people in the audience and the guy who booked you.

Be patient and wait until you have a nice solid set that you play well. Hell, currently my band has about an hour set finished (few songs need to be tightened up a bit) and we started playing again (we were a band in High School, went on hiatus while we all where in college) last fall and have turned down a few shows because we didn't feel ready.

Ask yourself this: When your set finishes do you want to get some half-hearted pity applause, or do you want to hear people clapping thier asses off and telling you they liked your stuff.

Metaphysics
03-10-2008, 07:54 PM
thanks for all the great advice.
we've decided to turn it down by the way because one of the members is too busy with a school play.

Gurgle!Argh!
03-10-2008, 08:11 PM
There is a big difference between *learning* more originals in time for the show, and actually *writing and learning* more originals in time for the show. I would NOT place my bets on being able to write half a dozen more half-decent originals and have them tight in a month. Never. If you play the covers and play them well, you're much better off.

The audience would rather hear a tight set of six covers and two decent originals than two decent originals done well, and six crappy ones performed like they were thrown together in less than a month. Guaranteed.

CT

theres a lot of truth here. honestly, it depends on your band. if you have a songwriter with a lot of material written that you can just arrange, then you can probably do it. if you write material as a band, not a chance imo.

furthemore, unless you can make the covers a minority of your set, i wouldnt do it. i don't know about the specifics of the gig, but round here, the first band on usually gets about half an hour, and covers aren't expected. if you can do that much time and only have two covers tops, do it, but be sure you can do it well and that you will be able to do it.