I Got Me A Problem

PDA

View Full Version : I Got Me A Problem

fattypumbaa
03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
So here it is. I dig playing my guitar but, I'm not very good. The main reason is well because I just don't know any songs because well I never know what to learn and when I find a song I like I tend to listen to the song to hear how it goes then I end up listening to the whole record the songs on then I end up leaving and going out. I dig blues and blues-rock and a bit of jazz but my favorite in that department would have to me Tom Waits but anyways Can you guys suggest songs to me so I can learn them and play them and not suck. I don't know any turnaround really and I can lay a variety of 12 bar but I feel I need to learn things to get ideas so I can play lead **** and rhythm so will you guys throw some songs out there for me to learn

Thanks

nimrod_hahahaha
03-10-2008, 07:08 PM
stevie ray vaughan isn't half bad IMO. good to jam along to and you can pick up bluesy ideas along the way.

fattypumbaa
03-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I think SRV is a bit advanced for me. I was thinking maybe something a bit easier.

theneildeal
03-11-2008, 04:39 PM
try some john mayer. songs from his album continuum are bluesy and easy enough to play. if you want a good place to start, i tabbed out his song "Who Did You Think I Was". Its pretty easy to play, and its got a great blues vibe. There's also room to solo twice, or just play along with what i tabbed. Here's the tab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/john_mayer/who_did_you_think_i_was_guitar_pro.htm

If you're not a John Mayer fan, try some Hendrix or Led Zep

Hope it helps!

Neil

MrBlues
03-12-2008, 03:28 AM
^yer John Mayer is a good place to start, but i suggest you go and download some backing tracks (blues of course) and Jam along to them. :)

theneildeal
03-12-2008, 10:03 AM
well, i started with mayer, moved onto srv, and when i feel comfortable, ill start with the backing tracks. This is because mayer and srv, along with many other bluesmen will give me good ideas when im improvising. I find that it also helps to develop your own style of blues.

nightraven
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
there are some great phrases in hendrix's version of 'hey joe'. that's where i started.

theneildeal
03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
yeah, if you practice songs from Hendrix, SRV, Page etc, youŽll pick up ideas that will improve your playing. You canŽt just improv blues without practice and "studying"!

ze monsta
03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I started with people like Charley Patton and worked forward...but I guess you could try learning bottleneck, it's great fun.