How far ahead should you book gigs?

PDA

View Full Version : How far ahead should you book gigs?

Bradexman
03-11-2008, 12:30 AM
How far ahead should you book them. Me and my friend are going to be driving across the country to find a great band, and on the way back it would probably be a good idea to play some gigs just to make 100% sure we're compatible. Should we call ahead and try to book them before we're even near the city, or should we just pull into the city and see what we can get?

Kid_Thorazine
03-11-2008, 03:31 AM
usually two weeks is good for small bars and stuff if it's a concert hall or something you usually need to book at least a month in advance.

SlackerBabbath
03-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Depends on the places you want to play.
Many venues start recieving bookings at the beginning of the year and quickly fill the venue's diary for the rest of year, so depending on what time of year you ring, they may have dates available after the next couple of weeks or after the next couple of months or maybe not until the other end of the year.
F'instance, January is generaly a mad scramble among bands to get all the best available bookings on the national circuit. Any bookings that you take after around May can quite often be due to somebody else cancelling a gig.

Kid_Thorazine
03-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Depends on the places you want to play.
Many venues start recieving bookings at the beginning of the year and quickly fill the venue's diary for the rest of year, so depending on what time of year you ring, they may have dates available after the next couple of weeks or after the next couple of months or maybe not until the other end of the year.
F'instance, January is generaly a mad scramble among bands to get all the best available bookings on the national circuit. Any bookings that you take after around May can quite often be due to somebody else cancelling a gig.

From my experience thats only in like 5,000+ concert halls. Unless things work very differently in the UK than they do in North America (which at this point I'm assuming is the case)

SlackerBabbath
03-11-2008, 07:18 AM
From my experience thats only in like 5,000+ concert halls. Unless things work very differently in the UK than they do in North America (which at this point I'm assuming is the case)
That's generaly how it works here in my experience with most venues, even bar venues.
They all seem to be obsessed with having a website with a bloody great list of gigs that they have coming up in the future too, generaly at least a couple of months in advance anyway.
Eg. There's a place in Leeds called the New Roscoe. http://www.newroscoe.co.uk/home.asp
It's a typical small to mid sized bar and music venue (and a damn good one too I might add, we've always been made very welcome there and it's always a pleasure to play) that has something going on almost every night of the week, but have a look at their gig guide, their diary is practicaly filled up until the end of June.

RichieJovie
03-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Owning a booking agent covering 20+ venues in the UK We book 6-9 months in advance.

For premium nights my agency and my bands are booked up to 2 years in advance.

FuzzyBear
03-11-2008, 08:46 AM
i just generally grab any gig we get offered and hustle all over the place to play anyplace anytime

valennic
03-11-2008, 12:01 PM
just grab a gig whenever your band feels ready.

skagitup
03-12-2008, 09:48 AM
For pubs and stuff, I'd say at least a month or so.