Age a factor?

PDA

View Full Version : Age a factor?

Charlatan_001
03-11-2008, 02:43 AM
So I'm going to audition for a local band next week, and the people in the band have quite a bit of experience in other somewhat-well-known local bands - and are a lot older than me. I'm 19 (almost 20), and the people are probably in their late 20's, even early 30's.

I've been turned down at other auditions before, not because of my skill, but because the band felt that the my age denoted a lack of experience.

So what I'm trying to ask is - do you think that a big age difference (~8-10 years) can determine whether or not you're going to make the audition?

emr_steelmech
03-11-2008, 02:47 AM
unfortunately, yes. I think it makes it harder for everyone if there's a huge age gap...hard to hang out and bond beyond playing shows.

Shinozoku
03-11-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm 18, my fellow guitarist is early 20s, drummer and bass player are in their 40s, and we're about to get a singer in his late 40s. But we all met at college, so that's probably different.

Charlatan_001
03-11-2008, 03:03 AM
unfortunately, yes. I think it makes it harder for everyone if there's a huge age gap...hard to hang out and bond beyond playing shows.

Yeah, that's true. It's like you've got different lives, so it's hard to connect.

I'm 18, my fellow guitarist is early 20s, drummer and bass player are in their 40s, and we're about to get a singer in his late 40s. But we all met at college, so that's probably different.

How long have you guys been playing together?

SlackerBabbath
03-11-2008, 06:52 AM
It's never been an issue for me, when I was 20 I was in a band with a 40 year old, when I was 38 I was in a band with an 18 year old, but I must admit that the band I'm in now are all around the same age. There's a little bit of difference between our youngest member, the bassist, and our oldest, the guitarist, but me and the drummer are both kinda inbetween, the drummer being a bit younger than me, so we are all pretty evenly spaced out age wise, but it's actualy probably more to do with how long we've all known one another, because we all started playing at around the same time and kinda hit the scene with our respective bands at the same time.
I suppose to start with, a band where everyone is of a similar age can relate to one another better, but as you progress, age makes less and less difference and is replaced by playing ability. If someone can play well and you get along with them, then an age difference doesn't really matter.

chillbeast
03-11-2008, 10:33 AM
I think with the situation you are in, you should be able to do well with them as long as you don't give them the impression that you are still a "kid", and also they can't be predisposed to viewing you that way.

Basically if both parties are pretty mature, I don't see any reason why you can't work well together.

But, as others have stated, many people feel certain ways about younger folk and not much will change their mind in many cases.

FYI, when I was 17 I was hanging out with 29-32 year olds from work, most didn't even know I was under 21 until they tried to get me to go drinking with them one night. I didn't hide my age either they all just kind of forgot because I was able to keep up in conversation with them, and I think I've always been a bit older & wiser than my actual age would suggest.

Good luck bro

Eirien
03-11-2008, 02:31 PM
I think the most important thing is how comfortable you feel around each other. If you can get on with them all and have a laugh, your age shouldn't be an issue.

Footzyrama
03-11-2008, 02:34 PM
It can become an issue if you guys dont try and actually bond.
However if you guys seem to get along well i dont see what it would change anything.

Child In Time
03-12-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't think it's a factor at all. I'm 20 and play in a quartet in which the bassist and guitarist are in their 40s and the drummer is 55 and it all works fine.

skagitup
03-12-2008, 09:46 AM

+1

Philbigtime
03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
The first real (gigging) band I was in, I was the drummer and I was 20. Rest of the guys were at least 30.
One of the bands I play in now (I'm 22 now), the singer is 33, bassist 45, drummer mid-40's, trumpet mid-50's, percussion early-30's, backup singer just turned 18 (she's the bassist's daughter).
Another band I play in has an 18-yr-old sax player, me, same bassist, 38-yr-old keys, mid 30's singer, and guitarist is early 60's (and damn fine, I must say).
And the OTHER band I play in, singer/guitarist is 27, bassist 26, and drummer (me) 22.

I don't think it makes a huge difference as long as you are on the same page musically and you get along with the other people in the band. That said, I almost always enjoy hanging out with the dudes that are closer to my age; the afterparties are ROCKIN as opposed to nonexistant.

sus4th
03-12-2008, 04:12 PM
One of the big problems you might run into is because of your age, it might limit where you play. In my state, if you are under 21, it doesn’t matter if you are in the band or not, you are not getting into the bar. So if the band wants to play out a lot, you being 19/20 could hamper what they want to do.

Vol=11
03-12-2008, 07:14 PM
age shouldnt matter, but i guess it does to some people. my friend's band's member's range from 14 to 19. they obviously dont mind, you just gotta find some mates that dont care about you as a person(sounds kinda mean), but you as a musician. or just go in there with a fake beard or something. fake like your in your 30's or so.