How much do they earn?

PDA

View Full Version : How much do they earn?

Emil_Gorecki
03-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Hay guys, I was wondering if anybody had any idea how much some bands are making? I mean, for example, how much money would each individual make in the Chili Peppers? Would Kiedis make more than Frusciante? How much does frusciante earn? Anybody know? How about Foo Fighters? Or Led Zep back in the day, or Pink Floyd. Does anybody know how much money these bands AND people (individually) have made, or make??

Sorry if its in the wrong section!

Peace out!

Polak
03-11-2008, 08:09 PM
A lot.

JBizzle Da Truf
03-11-2008, 08:10 PM
more then i'm making

rush5757
03-11-2008, 08:10 PM
more than they need.

EDIT: Whoa! 3 unhelpful responses back to back in a minute! Good job guys :golfclap:

funky_c
03-11-2008, 08:11 PM
I can't give any real numbers, but you hafta remember that one of the reasons musicians make ****loads of money when they're famous is because they won't really make much money outside of that. Bar shows pay 500bux -ish and you need to split that amongst the band. Assuming your band gets famous, its not like your going to be famous forever. Really, in the long run, bajillionaire musicians don't make that retarded of an amount of money (although they can still make alot).

Trellis
03-11-2008, 08:13 PM
sharron osbourne said that ozzfest was paying system of a down 350.000 dollars a show in 2006, and they did whole tour with them, and also iron maiden got 150.000 dollars for co headlining the ozzfest in 2005

guitaruboy
03-11-2008, 08:13 PM
endorsements help pay the bills

WCS_Is_Worse1
03-11-2008, 08:14 PM
A lot.
:stickpoke :bonk: :killaxe: :finger:

You couldn't state the obvious anymore than that!

(Hey I didn't use caps!)

:idea:

funky_c
03-11-2008, 08:14 PM
sharron osbourne said that ozzfest was paying system of a down 350.000 dollars a show in 2006, and they did whole tour with them, and also iron maiden got 150.000 dollars for co headlining the ozzfest in 2005

you sure that wasn't pounds? Or Euros, or whatever it is those crazy english use.

Trellis
03-11-2008, 08:15 PM
you sure that wasn't pounds? Or Euros, or whatever it is those crazy english use.

no...

Andrewbiles
03-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Probably not as much as you'd be lead to believe.
The biggest groups will get a decent contract from a record label, possibly saying they can have a couple of million for their next album, but with that money they'll have to split it between them, pay any staff they (as a band or person) employ, pay for the recording costs and many other expenses on top of that.
There would no doubt be some money left over for themselves, but as they're not going to get a huge amount (relatively) from the royalties they are expected to live off that advance for a while.

If they then tour then some might be subsidised by their label, but they will end up taking a big chunk of the door money. So if you're filling up a 30,000 standing arena for five nights, each ticket costing £25. I'm sure you can do the maths, but again, there are a hell of a lot more people that need to be paid and the money soon goes down.

RHCP were reported to be taking home £2,000,000 ($4mil) each for the dates at Hyde Park a few years back so obviously some shows are worth their while.

Emil_Gorecki
03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah... Well I wasn't really led to believe how much money they are making, I actually had absolutely no idea how much they where making. So its good to hear that, yes, they in fact do make a fair decent amount of money. Ah well, I'm gonna get back to my practicing, hehe, I just wanted to know what kind of money there is in music!
Thanks heaps, Peace!

Zycho
03-11-2008, 11:18 PM
The odds of you filling up stadiums like the Chili Peppers are pretty slim, what a large famous band and your average band make are drastically different.

Emil_Gorecki
03-12-2008, 02:53 AM
The odds of you filling up stadiums like the Chili Peppers are pretty slim, what a large famous band and your average band make are drastically different.

Sure are, but what was the point of stating the obvious?

Andrewbiles
03-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I think the point is you should play for the love of playing music rather than the hope of earning £££millions.

Emil_Gorecki
03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
I think the point is you should play for the love of playing music rather than the hope of earning £££millions.

I've been doing so for almost 4 years, and I earn almost 120,000 (US) a year.

I just thought that I was going good, but then I realized that some people are earning 5 Million!! Wow, thats a lot.

I am a session guitarist, all I do is play a few guitar parts for people who are recording their albums. Its funny because their guitarists play some good riffs and chords, but when it comes to recording time, they cant even keep a steady beat the the click. So thats when I am called in...

But I am sick of playing other peoples music and filling in for their bands, I want to play my own band, an original band, you know.

I know its pretty much impossible, but who knows. I have the faith and dedication to being able to make more money from what I do. I want to start a band, and if that doesn't work, then back to the session recordings (which I make more then enough to live off anyway)...

Peace!

Emil_Gorecki
03-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Sorry to break the news to you buddy, but bands that are trying to make it big ALWAYS think about the money. Thats why they hire managers, lawyers and all that crap. Its not like this.

"I love music for what it is, I don't care about money, I'm just going to make money out of my music that I love so much, and its all a bonus!".

Or what ever.

The only way to make it in the music business is if you have all the prerequisites to do it.
You cant live your WHOLE life thinking "man I am so good, nobody has heard me, but when they do, I will be the next big thing". You cant think that being able to play over 200 songs written by other people (covers) will get you anywhere..

Thats where I started, but I didn't get anywhere! So I started learning theory and history and I began to understand music as it is.

It doesn't really matter if you are trying to make money from music, or playing it just for the sake that you are a music loving person, you will always need another job (like me), to live happily...

Yes, If I could get the crowds RHCP do, then, MY GOD, I wouldn't even be writing this, but the fact is, I AM NOT. But I am still making a good living out of what I do (session guitarist), and I am only 19, earning about 120,000 US, which isnt bad!

Sublime Stylee
03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
I love making music, and I also happen to love buying sweet new stuff. What's wrong with having both? Sure making music just for the sake of it sounds noble in theory, but it doesn't work so well when you are dirt poor and have no money for food.

Emil_Gorecki
03-12-2008, 11:41 PM
I love making music, and I also happen to love buying sweet new stuff. What's wrong with having both? Sure making music just for the sake of it sounds noble in theory, but it doesn't work so well when you are dirt poor and have no money for food.

Right on man, its true. Just find a way to make money from the music you make. Its easier than you think.

I have a VERY GOOD FRIEND who's name is M.KING, he is the drummer for 6 (unknown to you) bands and makes $150-300 a night. He plays 5 nights a week. Do the maths. Its enough to live off while you're only his age (17).

Maybe some people wont be making MILLIONS, but unlike 'Zycho', you will be able to make enough money to live off and have a job out of music.

Who wants to be famous to the point you can't even walk in public and not be disturbed! I sure don't. Zycho obviously has the wrong idea of what making money from music is.

killbox2490
03-13-2008, 02:55 AM
I remember reading that Radiohead made like $40 million off their latest cd and they're independent so all five of them got most of that money

Andrewbiles
03-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Sorry to break the news to you buddy, but bands that are trying to make it big ALWAYS think about the money. Thats why they hire managers, lawyers and all that crap. Its not like this.

"I love music for what it is, I don't care about money, I'm just going to make money out of my music that I love so much, and its all a bonus!".

Or what ever.

The only way to make it in the music business is if you have all the prerequisites to do it.
You cant live your WHOLE life thinking "man I am so good, nobody has heard me, but when they do, I will be the next big thing". You cant think that being able to play over 200 songs written by other people (covers) will get you anywhere..

Thats where I started, but I didn't get anywhere! So I started learning theory and history and I began to understand music as it is.

It doesn't really matter if you are trying to make money from music, or playing it just for the sake that you are a music loving person, you will always need another job (like me), to live happily...

Yes, If I could get the crowds RHCP do, then, MY GOD, I wouldn't even be writing this, but the fact is, I AM NOT. But I am still making a good living out of what I do (session guitarist), and I am only 19, earning about 120,000 US, which isnt bad!

Of course there are bands that hire the right managers and end up with multi-million pound contracts, but a lot of bands originally start playing music because they love music not because they want to make money.
RHCP is the perfect example of this as it was originally a one off show to enjoy the music, people got interested and they carried on because they enjoyed performing it. Granted the money interest probably took over only a year or two later but the premise for the band was not to cash in on a big money market, and that is obvious listening to their early releases.

Cover bands can make a mint. One of my old lecturers was in a relatively big cover band in the 80s/90s and was making about £30,000 a night at one point (obviously not every night). If you are good and go the corporate route (functions for companies rather than gigs) you can earn a lot.

And there are bands that earn a living from making music and travelling with it but aren't exactly mainstream top40 stuff. MV & EE is a perfect example, making their dugged-up folky drones. Probably not making a huge amount from their music but they're putting out enough releases and doing enough to earn a nice little bit on the side if nothing else.
I would feel much more accomplished if by the age of 40 I had realised I was playing music I enjoyed rather than trying to serve a bunch of kiddies crappy music just to line my pockets. But then I guess it depends on what kind of mentality you have.

Session musician isn't a bad route to go down if you're getting the jobs. You should receive some royalties along the way if you've signed the right contracts.

Edward VIII
03-16-2008, 08:02 AM
An AWFUL lot! RCHP is big...