Help with genre?

PDA

View Full Version : Help with genre?

Fool's Paradise
03-11-2008, 09:24 PM
It's mostly a personal thing, but it's affecting my writing and in turn, my band's songs. I'm mostly into any kind of metal music, and that's what I want to write. I'm definitely not trying to copy anyone else, but my problem is that I don't know what to do. I want to write heavy, fast and melodic death metal (like Arsis), but at the same time, I want to write music like Opeth's. I've been toying with the idea of a "technical prog metal", but I don't know how that could work, or how I could blend my influences like that. I mean.. Opeth + Arsis?

Does anyone have help or tricks for mixing their influences together into a final song/genre you ended up loving?

StealthyHayze
03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Yea i do the same thing....and just let it flow DONT force it or you will sound bad...

pandora_grunt
03-12-2008, 03:07 AM
Well Opeth seems to use a lot of different stuff in one song. Maybe you should try switching from a blasting melody part, to the dissonance and octaves opeth use. Ofcourse throw in a little clean hear and there.

All I can say is brainwash yourself with bands that play the music you want to make. Learn certain patterns -like playing with octaves, certain forms of dissonance, melodic licks and stuff like that.

Then start to write a song. Just take your time. A song isn't usually born overnight.

Yea i do the same thing....and just let it flow DONT force it or you will sound bad...

and indeed, don't force it.

Cheers

Colohue
03-12-2008, 10:26 AM
I disagree when it comes to the brainwashing ideal. Wanting to make music that sounds like your favourite bands is all well and good, but you're not going to get anywhere like that. If you want to be anything other than an 'Opeth cover band' you have to stand out.

You don't have to write about twenty parts in one song when you can have twenty tracks on an album. I would suggest, to develop your own style, you play a song that comes to you and work on your own sound as well.

Concerning genre don't pick it at all, ultimately a critic or just generally other people will decide what you are, not you.

Berlioz97
03-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Just make up stuff you think sounds good and arrange it into a song using the formula of your choice (or none at all) and write lyrics to it. Your influences will shine through.

FuzzyBear
03-13-2008, 06:17 AM
why not just write mad choon's that you like and then let other people worry about what genre it is