Effects of Punk Rock on youth

PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Punk Rock on youth

PCbassist
03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm writing a paper for school about the effects of punk rock music on young people. I'm going for all sides of it (positive, negative, neutral). Some main points I have so far are rebellion (negative), standing up for what you believe in (kind of like rebellion, but in a positive light), and a few other topics. Anybody got any ideas they are willing to contribute?

Thanks.

EDIT: SEE LAST PAGE FOR NEW POST

original=punk
03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
If rebelling is negative, George Washington is a bad influence.

I'd substitute not thinking for yourself as a negative. AKA: casualties fans.

PCbassist
03-11-2008, 10:02 PM
I was thinking rebellion in a destructive way (young punks just breaking something to break something, hit someone just to hit someone etc.), but that is a good point.

Dozza
03-11-2008, 10:05 PM
A positive is that it opened up music to the bored youth. Before punk you had prog bands (that had connections with late 60s pschedelia) that involved really good musicians playing expensive gear. Punk was like a "grab a guitar, learn to play, play a show in a month or so".

DIY attitude to music and a lot of other areas aswell - which is good, promoting independance in youth.

StreetLight3989
03-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Rebellion definitely isn't a bad thing, people who rebel just to rebel are stupid, but rebellion for a cause is not bad but good.

coquet
03-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Write about the damn kids with their skateboards on the sidewalks.

lolmnt
03-11-2008, 10:08 PM
No non punk forum regulars are allowed to post.

Starting now

PCbassist
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
No non punk forum regulars are allowed to post.

Starting now
hey shut up, I don't care who answers this, I just want some input.

vIsIbleNoIsE
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
i think that it still boils down to whether the listening individual is intelligent or not. nothing good will come out of a lifelong idiot listening to punk rock. but punk rock can enrich people who are already sensible and smart.

original=punk
03-11-2008, 10:11 PM
hey shut up, I don't care who answers this, I just want some input.

You may not care. But we care, cause you'll end up getting sh*tty information.

And what you described isn't rebellion. Thats stupidity.

StreetLight3989
03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
That means everyone except visiblenoise and coquet have to leave. Let's all be going and leave the punx alone. punkrockfan66 can stay too.

lolmnt
03-11-2008, 10:15 PM
hey shut up, I don't care who answers this, I just want some input.You should hope they do leave, if you want good information

PCbassist
03-11-2008, 10:15 PM
You may not care. But we care, cause you'll end up getting sh*tty information.

And what you described isn't rebellion. Thats stupidity.
alright, whatever you want lol

To me, it's placed under the rebellion category. At least, that's how I've heard it described. It is the mindless form of rebellion, but I still think it falls into that category.

StreetLight3989
03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
^It's kind of rebelling for the purpose of rebelling which is stupid. That's got nothing to do with punk either. More drunk jocks destroy property than punks actually.

IlikeTheSKA
03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Positive: They won't be listening to Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd
Negative: They'll probably be listening to Rancid and the Casualties
More Negative: They might want a stupid mohawk
Neutral: Milk Hotel

PCbassist
03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I like mohawks... :(

freshtunes
03-11-2008, 10:56 PM
How is rebellion negative?

crustyreed
03-11-2008, 10:58 PM
their are only negative effects from punk rawk.
everyone wants to get their hair like pete ......

ok ok seriously
political awareness (well some people), vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, alternative lifestyle, A PLACE TO BELONG, something to do, killer tunes (yep killer), and peacock hair.

element you onwed this thread BTW

axeslash
03-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Negative:
Acting angry towards everything is cool.
Violence is kewl.
Misogyny is teh coolzorz.
Music elitism.
An unwarranted sense of self-importance.
People declaring themselves "punk rock experts."
Hardline. FSU, and sXe in general
Wearing a punk rawk uniform while making fun of fashion.
Copious amounts of drugs

Positive:
All real punk music
Political Activism
Slam-dancing
Mohawks (mohawks look awesome and you all know it)
Acceptance of minorities and them darn queers
Scaring normal people
The DIY network
Power chords
Yummy yummy punk rock girls
I love Hardcore boys, I love boys hardcore
Cheap shows
Cheap beer
Cheap Sex (tee hee)

recklessnick
03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
it really depends on what an individual decipher from the term 'punk' and the term 'rebellion'
boycotting capitalist corporations such as mcdonalds, nike, etc. (which i dont do) is rebellion
beating up your teacher because he gave you detention for not handing in homework in time is also rebellion

to personal experience, what punk rock really had effect on me is opening my eyes wider and take a look around the world. wars, corrupted government, violent authority, sheeple societies, etc. and its not brainwashing because its music and its a choice whether you want to walk that road or not
true punks (mohawk or no mohawk, spikes or no spikes) rebel with a cause, a cause that he/she thinks its right and is something he/she stands up for. and it wont have a thing to do with violence or oppression

sargasm
03-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Punk is positive because it helped me embrace Jesus Christ as my personal lord and savior.

mike2
03-12-2008, 03:09 AM
ha, i am writing a paper for composition two on persuading god's non existance...

Berlioz97
03-12-2008, 05:01 AM
ha, i am writing a paper for composition two on persuading god's non existance...
good luck. you will never be able to prove the non-existance of god.
silly atheists.

BrianApocalypse
03-12-2008, 07:17 AM
God does exist, because scientists have a radio with an increased frequency range, and they can actually hear mysterious chatter from outer space, which sounds like an old man dictating the bible

Sadly, this option isn't there on commerical radios yet.

sargasm
03-12-2008, 11:02 AM
good luck. you will never be able to prove the non-existance of god.
silly atheists.

You can, however, argue the negligible probability of god's existence, and the arbitrariness of the very idea of god.

Nobody is 100% certain of god's nonexistence but being 99% certain is enough to separate one's-self as an atheist rather than an agnostic.

Lethal Dosage
03-12-2008, 11:04 AM
People always say that rock and metal is so bad but I actually think rap and pop are worse. Music where money and degrading women are the main points of the music is just teaching people bad morals.

sargasm
03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
People always say that rock and metal is so bad but I actually think rap and pop are worse. Music where money and degrading women are the main points of the music is just teaching people bad morals.

Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin to fuck with.

wirehigh
03-12-2008, 11:08 AM
If rebelling is negative, George Washington is a bad influence.

I'd substitute not thinking for yourself as a negative. AKA: casualties fans.

haha :cheers:

SuperBlob
03-12-2008, 11:25 AM
*points at Motley Crue*
*leaves*

And this is a punk thing, just so you know. So don't mention metal. It angers me.

Lethal Dosage
03-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Sorry just making a point that rock isnt as bad as people always say it is

axeslash
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Punk rock tried to kill the metal, and it was thrown to the ground!

recklessnick
03-12-2008, 12:43 PM
^ hahaha! tenacious d!

if punk rock has negative effects on someone, then that person isnt taking in the music and lyrics correctly. punk allows kids to live their life and not waste their youth on education, textbooks and television.

mike2
03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Punk rock tried to kill the metal, and it was thrown to the ground!

i always wondered about that line...how did we try and kill the metal?

mike2
03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
You can, however, argue the negligible probability of god's existence, and the arbitrariness of the very idea of god.

Nobody is 100% certain of god's nonexistence but being 99% certain is enough to separate one's-self as an atheist rather than an agnostic.

that is what i am going for, i am not gonna prove his non existance 100%, just give enough evidence to persuade...

does anyone know of any books i could use?

lavazza
03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
positive:
the will to create a better world
punks are politicaly educated (thatīs true)
the punk community is for everybody and weīre still elitist
we donīt insult people for looking like a member of Finntroll
throw stones on the police :peace:
throw stones on nazis
we are pacifist
everbody can dance pogo

negative:
throw stones on the police

RizzoWashburn
03-12-2008, 04:01 PM
i always wondered about that line...how did we try and kill the metal?
By influencing ****ty hardcore bands :p:

PCbassist
03-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know of any books or movies on this topic? I need to cite some sources. I might cite UG as a source, just for ****s and giggles.

BostonLacrosse
03-12-2008, 04:47 PM
SLC Punk...that movie is the greatest representation of the punk lifestyle, the good and the bad
Steve-O was a tRo0 PaWnxzer

PCbassist
03-12-2008, 04:54 PM
SLC Punk...that movie is the greatest representation of the punk lifestyle, the good and the bad
Steve-O was a tRo0 PaWnxzer
already had that in mind. It's a great movie. I'm thinking about using that more for quotes than information since it is fictional.

BostonLacrosse
03-12-2008, 05:02 PM
it is very fictional and alot of people would argue that it does a horrible job representing punk youth in todays culture, so good call on the "just quotes" thing

original=punk
03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
It was lossely based on something with the writer.

mike2
03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
it's a ****ty movie, don't use it. just ask me questions, i will reply, and you quote me...and refer to me as the "punk rock guru" or "Mohawked master" in your paper...

reminds me once i was reading someone's paper because he didn't understand on how he got a bad grade cause he thought it was so good, and asked me to read it, and i did...it was so sad. it was all one paragraph, no works cited or bibliography, only like 5 periods, and he quoted himself, one of the quotes he said was "this ****s' good"

ugh...

StreetLight3989
03-12-2008, 06:35 PM
How can punk have tried to kill metal when it was created before metal? I never got that line, I mean the most influential metal bands(Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc..) were hugely influenced by punk. Whatever, it's a stupid joke song anyway.

European Son
03-12-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm pretty sure punk rock has a negative effect on youth.

hooligan07
03-12-2008, 06:44 PM
jack black is repulsive

gopherthegreat
03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
jack black is repulsive
jack black is awesome

SuperBlob
03-12-2008, 07:34 PM
jack black is alright

Sorry, I had to :p:

Yeah, I don't like him though. He reminds me of this ginger twat who appears to want to look like a pirate.

BostonLacrosse
03-12-2008, 07:35 PM

how so?

gopherthegreat
03-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I don't like him though. He reminds me of this ginger twat who appears to want to look like a pirate.
:haha

mike2
03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
jack black is awesome

He is not funny, tenasious d is not funny...ugh...stupid..

crustyreed
03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
i think tenacious d have a sick solo, the one in their version of devil went to georgia and he just hums it or something quite funny IMO.

uhm i know their is a ponxz book named 'hairstyle of the damned'' which is apparently the goodz its about some homie from the southside. their is a new book named 'Tacquacore' google and select the 'did you mean ____' option, which is about some Islamic punk house. These guys went on tour to promote it and all the bands were muslim and a bunch of muslim kids came to a sweaty DIY basment to see them, oh yeah rolling stone and like 2 papers were there from the uk taking pictures, of crusties and kids in sandals dancing together!!

neidnarb11890
03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
It all depends on the type of punk and the listener.
Personally, I enjoy some Choking Vicitim and Leftover Crack here and there. But listening to them never made me start drinking 40's, smoking crack, killing cops, burning churches, shooting kids at schools, or killing myself.

Plenty of punk bands promote, IMO, positive ideas. Bands like Crass, Dead Kennedys, Operation Ivy or X-Ray Spex have intelligent lyrics that encourage the listener to question the world around them and think for themselves.

And then of course, there's bands like The Damned, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, The Heartbreakers, Dead Boys, etc. etc. These bands haven't had much effect on my outlook on life, but they're amazing and fun to listen to.

I'd say that ultimately, the effect punk has on the listener depends on the listener.

hooligan07
03-12-2008, 08:19 PM
jack black seems to play the same guy in every movie.
it got old

he is a less effective ben stiller

European Son
03-12-2008, 08:25 PM
how so?
It all depends on the type of punk and the listener.
Personally, I enjoy some Choking Vicitim and Leftover Crack here and there. But listening to them never made me start drinking 40's, smoking crack, killing cops, burning churches, shooting kids at schools, or killing myself.

Plenty of punk bands promote, IMO, positive ideas. Bands like Crass, Dead Kennedys, Operation Ivy or X-Ray Spex have intelligent lyrics that encourage the listener to question the world around them and think for themselves.

And then of course, there's bands like The Damned, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, The Heartbreakers, Dead Boys, etc. etc. These bands haven't had much effect on my outlook on life, but they're amazing and fun to listen to.

I'd say that ultimately, the effect punk has on the listener depends on the listener.
Pfft, everybody knows that punk is devil's music, just as jazz, blues, rock and hard rock is. It should be prohibited. All forms of it. I say ban popular music from the face of earth. At least we'll get rid of all those crack smokers, cop killers, church burners, school shootings and suicides. You know it's true.

neidnarb11890
03-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Pfft, everybody knows that punk is devil's music, just as jazz, blues, rock and hard rock is. It should be prohibited. All forms of it. I say ban popular music from the face of earth. At least we'll get rid of all those crack smokers, cop killers, church burners, school shootings and suicides. You know it's true.
:p:

hooligan07
03-12-2008, 08:56 PM
i think ben stiller is much better in his deliveries and the guy seems more likeable in general than jack black. i dig school of rock and maybe a few more of jack's movies but in general ben stiller comedies always seem to be pretty good.
he is consistently good as are his movies
maybe thats why he's one of the highest paid actors,because he produces

opivy21
03-12-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Bob Jones University, but if you don't I'll just tell you that it's a hardcore conservative Christian college here and it's had some controversies in the past because of its policies. They're extremely strict about boy/girl interaction, dress codes, and other sorts of silly things. I heard that a girl got kicked out of school because one of her teachers saw her doing yard work in short shorts. Anyway, the point is that at Region Band (sit-down concert band) some of the music had jazzy passages and the kids from BJU weren't allowed to play them because jazz is sinful. It's sort of funny, but also nuts at the same time.

BostonLacrosse
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM

...damn i didnt catch the sarcasm in your first post...i fail :(

Iluvpowerchords
03-12-2008, 09:46 PM
How can punk have tried to kill metal when it was created before metal? I never got that line, I mean the most influential metal bands(Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc..) were hugely influenced by punk. Whatever, it's a stupid joke song anyway.

eh.

Sabbath were doing it in the 60's. 'Round the same time as the Stooges.

And Metal records were a harder sell when Punk was at its peak. "New Wave" bands were much more likely to be signed and to sell than Metal acts for a while. Which is probably what that line refers to.

But yeah. Metal borrowed liberally from Punk.

RockThe40oz
03-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Punk rock raped my mother and slaughtered my dog

Ze_Metal
03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Positives:

Metalcore.

RockThe40oz
03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Positives:

Metalcore.

Eww

recklessnick
03-12-2008, 09:58 PM
steve-o was just a dumb poseur who did nothing. it was a good movie but not a good movie to represent what the good side of punk is all about.

and i know no one can disprove the existence of god, but isnt is automatic that anything that cant be proven to exist doesnt? like the lochness monster or steve-o. but it doesnt matter because no matter how many people worship god or even if god could be seen and touched and i wont worship it because im living this life for myself with the faith given by the people i love, friends and family

sargasm
03-12-2008, 09:59 PM
that is what i am going for, i am not gonna prove his non existance 100%, just give enough evidence to persuade...

does anyone know of any books i could use?

Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion
Christopher Hedges - god Is Not Great (How Religion Poisons Everything)

And there are a couple essays by Douglas Adams that can be found in The Salmon of Doubt, but they're a bit more rhetorical.

BostonLacrosse
03-12-2008, 10:02 PM

And there are a couple essays by Douglas Adams that can be found in The Salmon of Doubt, but they're a bit more rhetorical.

i heart Douglas Adams

Ze_Metal
03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Eww

Metalcore...like War of ages metalcore that is.

RockThe40oz
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Metalcore...like War of ages metalcore that is.

I know what metalcore is.... eww..

Berlioz97
03-13-2008, 01:11 AM
metalcore ruined punk shows in central california. therefore i hate it by default.

recklessnick
03-13-2008, 02:02 AM
i like metalcore. as long as it aint tough guy or deathcore.

and isnt richard dawkins a stand-up comedian?

SandyPilgrim
03-13-2008, 03:05 AM
and isnt richard dawkins a stand-up comedian?

Nah, he's an evolutionary biologist.

... although he was parodied on South Park...

mike2
03-13-2008, 03:22 AM

i got the god delusion and some book about evolution.

mike2
03-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Positives:

Metalcore.

really? you see that as a positive?

SuperBlob
03-13-2008, 06:06 AM
Sabbath were doing it in the 60's. 'Round the same time as the Stooges.

I checked it up on Wiki, and MC5 were around before Sabbath.

lavazza
03-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Positives:

Metalcore.

Really brash for someone who is here for 2 months

sargasm
03-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Nah, he's an evolutionary biologist.

... although he was parodied on South Park...

That episode was awesome.

PCbassist
03-13-2008, 06:30 PM
I picked up Punk by Stephen Colegrave and Chris Sullivan. It's mostly a history of punk, but there are a lot of good examples in it that I can use.

StreetLight3989
03-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Make sure you tell us your grade when you finish.

opivy21
03-13-2008, 08:28 PM
That episode was awesome.
The new one sucked last night. That show needs to hang it up.

RizzoWashburn
03-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Make sure you tell us your grade when you finish.
He's gonna get a P. For p0nx. :)

or an A. Because then, when the teacher circles the grade, he can be all "ANARKEEE!!!!"

lolmnt
03-13-2008, 09:14 PM
The new one sucked last night. That show needs to hang it up.I did like when they gave Kartman the ice cream and he's all like "Fuck your ice cream, you gave me aids"

opivy21
03-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Don't get me wrong, it still has its moments, but overall it just feels like they are losing the touch.

lavazza
03-15-2008, 06:49 AM
metalcore ruined punk shows in central california. therefore i hate it by default.

Metalcore is that kind of music lots of punks here like, they listen to Hatebreed, Heaven shall burn, As I lay dying or KSE.......Itīs not that I hate these bands, but they sound the same in every song, and lots of young people like Metalcore rather than listen to Punk thatīs a pity

ss311
03-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Independent thinking.

Fuzzbox91
03-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Negative:
Acting angry towards everything is cool.
Violence is kewl.
Misogyny is teh coolzorz.
Music elitism.
An unwarranted sense of self-importance.
People declaring themselves "punk rock experts."
Hardline. FSU, and sXe in general
Wearing a punk rawk uniform while making fun of fashion.
Copious amounts of drugs

Positive:
All real punk music
Political Activism
Slam-dancing
Mohawks (mohawks look awesome and you all know it)
Acceptance of minorities and them darn queers
Scaring normal people
The DIY network
Power chords
Yummy yummy punk rock girls
I love Hardcore boys, I love boys hardcore
Cheap shows
Cheap beer
Cheap Sex (tee hee)
agreed.

negative:
acting like a selfish prick
abandoning people/bands if they do something you dont agree with
ostracizing people for not wearing mohawks

basically punk can either make you think for yourself or be a mindless zombie.

DanRev
03-15-2008, 09:55 AM
punk rock makes kids shoot up schools like videogames. that is scientific FACT

untitled039
03-15-2008, 10:00 AM
What really annoys me about some punks (most of the time, teenage ones) is that they are terribly close minded about music, they pretty much despise every other genre of music and everyone who doesn't listen just punk. However, I think punk has the opposite effect on a lot of people too.

neidnarb11890
03-15-2008, 11:10 AM
What really annoys me about some punks (most of the time, teenage ones) is that they are terribly close minded about music, they pretty much despise every other genre of music and everyone who doesn't listen just punk. However, I think punk has the opposite effect on a lot of people too.
Listening to The Clash introduced me to a whole bunch of new genres.

werty22
03-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Listening to The Clash introduced me to a whole bunch of new genres.
+1

StreetLight3989
03-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Don't get me wrong, it still has its moments, but overall it just feels like they are losing the touch.
Eh, I think it's still pretty good. There were some pretty good episodes last season and I didn't think the AIDS one was bad.

crustyreed
03-15-2008, 11:54 AM

quit whining and play faster.

:p:

Fuzzbox91
03-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Eh, I think it's still pretty good. There were some pretty good episodes last season and I didn't think the AIDS one was bad.
my guess is your talking about south park. latley its been up and down, its either amazing or ****ty. The Guitar Queero, Tourretes, and Bono episodes were ****ing brilliant. the AIDS one was boring, i dont think i laughed once, same with the list episode, just not funny at all

lolmnt
03-15-2008, 01:32 PM
my guess is your talking about south park. latley its been up and down, its either amazing or ****ty. The Guitar Queero, Tourretes, and Bono episodes were ****ing brilliant. the AIDS one was boring, i dont think i laughed once, same with the list episode, just not funny at allI liked the Guitar Queero, but Bono an Tourretes weren't funny at all.

original=punk
03-15-2008, 01:48 PM
I think they are all funny, but Not the older episodes, I dunno why. Always liek the newer ones best.

I didn't like the lice one, though.

axeslash
03-15-2008, 02:00 PM
The first 4 seasons of South Park were the best.

SuperBlob
03-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I prefer Father Ted to South Park. I don't think there's a character as clueless as Dougal :p:

sargasm
03-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Feck! Drink! Arse! Girls!

Father Jack and Shane MacGowan are the same person.

original=punk
03-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Metalcore is that kind of music lots of punks here like, they listen to Hatebreed, Heaven shall burn, As I lay dying or KSE.......Itīs not that I hate these bands, but they sound the same in every song, and lots of young people like Metalcore rather than listen to Punk thatīs a pity

Hey, I know you're german, and this thread is already wayyyy off topic, but i'm trying to find my dad's hometown in Germany, but i haven't a clue on how to spell it.

it's prnounced cry-berg.
But i know it's somethign like Krieburg or something.

StreetLight3989
03-15-2008, 04:18 PM
I think they are all funny, but Not the older episodes, I dunno why. Always liek the newer ones best.

I didn't like the lice one, though.
The lice one sucked, I don't like the ones that don't center around the boys, except some Randy episodes are good.

original=punk
03-15-2008, 04:19 PM
oh my god, i love the ones that center around randy.

StreetLight3989
03-15-2008, 04:27 PM
oh my god, i love the ones that center around randy.
Yeah Randy's one of my favorite characters. I hate ones like the Oprah one.

StreetLight3989
03-15-2008, 04:56 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x224/hamandcheeseUK/1101_missing_letter.jpg

This one brought the lulz.
That was one of the better new episodes. "We don't take kindly to racial discrimination around here".

werty22
03-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah Randy's one of my favorite characters. I hate ones like the Oprah one.
That one sucked so much.

lavazza
03-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Hey, I know you're german, and this thread is already wayyyy off topic, but i'm trying to find my dad's hometown in Germany, but i haven't a clue on how to spell it.

it's prnounced cry-berg.
But i know it's somethign like Krieburg or something.

If itīs pronounced Cry-berg, itīs either Kreiberg or Kraiberg or Kreiburg or Kraiburg......but there are some towns with names like that (as map24 told me).
If itīs "Krieburg" itīs pronounced like this Creeburg (for the "U" there is no simile expression in eglish I think).

One town I found was close to the Austrian border

PCbassist
03-18-2008, 02:01 PM
thanks for all of your help. we're still doing all sorts of pre-writing bull**** like notes and outlines so it will be a while before I turn in this paper, but I'll let you know how it went when I get it back.

CLIFF_BURTON
03-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Im doing a paper on the British Invasion and this thread helped A LOT with a part that talks about punk. Thanks for making this thread from one bassist to another.

PCbassist
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
no problem, glad this helped out more people than me.

lavazza
03-20-2008, 05:47 AM
You have 666 posts......so thereīs a reason for your babbling.......but if you do it one more time Sargasm will throw you out

devourthekitten
03-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Punk Rock is destroying the Youth!

but seriously, Punk started as a giant scam, then the only people who were serious about it were crazy and it seemed they were just like brainwashing people to be like them or you are an evil war mongering fascist
(crass)

think of it this way, If followers of crass were the leaders of the country.... would it be any different?

yeah it'd be different, it'd be full of non-violent hippies and every town would be overflowing with immigrants and starvation would only get worse. Drugs would be a major problem, because life would obviously suck.

And what would they do with the non believers? If a bunch of republicans said "**** THAT!" and fought back with there guns, are all the hippies just going to stand there and die??? No, there would be a civil war and if the left won, they would be exactly like the Right.

And USA, Britain, whatever, would turn exactly like Africa.

So yeah, in a wider perspective, the effects of Punk Rock is NOT good on the youth.

there I said it.
You're dumb, can I punch you?

Mav-16
03-20-2008, 02:09 PM
You have 666 posts......so thereīs a reason for your babbling.......but if you do it one more time Sargasm will throw you out

I deleted my post because I felt it wasn't relevant to the kid's paper

I don't think I should get thrown out for voicing my opinion.

PCbassist
03-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Turning it in tomorrow!

GreenAC/DC123
03-28-2008, 11:04 PM
ok ok seriously
political awareness (well some people), vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, alternative lifestyle, A PLACE TO BELONG, something to do, killer tunes (yep killer), and peacock hair.

Not only those things, but also you could throw in the fact that there haven't been many (if any) violent incidents related to punk music on the news lately...

sargasm
03-29-2008, 11:26 AM
The only violent incidents related to punk music that I've seen on the news have been riots for no reason at lame mainstreem street punk shows, and we won't count those.

I remember when I was 14, and I wanted to go to a punk show. There had recently been a riot in Montreal after an Exploited show because the band canceled, and my mom was kind of iffy about me going. I was like "But mooooom, people who listen to The Exploited are idiots!"

neidnarb11890
03-29-2008, 11:30 AM
:haha :haha

molly bee
03-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Since listening to punk I've become a dirty, godless thief. Who also happens to be more politically aware, more intelligent, confident, empowered, I have a wide spectrum of interests, I listen to good music, and I have somewhere that no matter what I will feel I always belong.

So basically what crustyreed said.

lolmnt
03-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I think that's how it is for most of us.

molly bee
03-29-2008, 09:52 PM
yaaay!

axeslash
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Once I became a punk I stopped doing drugs and got a job. 0_o

lolmnt
03-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Molly, aXe

Why are you not in the chat?

axeslash
03-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Molly, aXe

Why are you not in the chat?
Good question.

RaNciDalLdaY
03-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Yoo this is wat punk is
just because u ride a skateboard doesnt mean dat u A punnk
Also you gotta listen to punk/ska and you dont have a play an instrument i do but i just like it so get your facts straight! :peace:

devourthekitten
03-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Yoo this is wat punk is
Also you gotta listen to punk/ska and you dont have a play an instrument i do but i just like it so get your facts straight! :peace:
up da ponx.

original=punk
03-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Yoo this is wat punk is

tRo0 p0nX
cAn YoU tEaCh Me To Be MoRe PuNk RaWk LiEk Yu?

devourthekitten
03-30-2008, 01:33 PM
tRo0 p0nX
cAn YoU tEaCh Me To Be MoRe PuNk RaWk LiEk Yu?
**** you, I did it first.

SuperBlob
03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Yoo this is wat punk is
OI OI OI! Tr00 p0nX uNi--bugger too late

misfitsdisciple
03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
I believe punk rock influences the youth the most. As influential young people, they are more open to new ideas than older minds which are set in their ways. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, the youth shaped the Punk movement and chiseled out most of the ideals. Kids are the ones who are most effected by this. As one Circle Jerks' song says "Question Authority," many other bands have similar messages. This questioning of authority was a way of breaking away from the neo-conservatism that was happening in the 1980s. As it was stated, the punk and hardcore movements were everything against that, shaping their OWN music and their OWN culture. As time progressed onward, the first wave punks grew older and influenced new generations of bands. The ideals stay similar but many have become mainstream. The "Rock against Bush" campaign was one of the numerous punk-inspired rallies, which brought many liberal or moderate people against the devout right wing. In essence, punk isn't all about the music, but more the people who make it and how they influence the culture they are born from.

edit: Hmm, can anyone tell me if this was helpful at all, or if this was just a pointless wall of text?

edit2: sorry, i just realized the original thread.

I believe that punk rock can be a positive influence. It teaches you to think for yourself, not put up with bull****, and to be an individual in certain terms.

But if you were to argue differently, you could argue that punk is morally corrupting and that it pits parents against children, further breaking down the institution of family. Drugs that pervade the culture of punk (as well as other music genres) can also be detrimental. They do allow for creative expression but with misuse can be fatal.

Rebellion is not necessarily the seed of evil, quite possibly the seed of light that will shine through that evil. Think back to when we were colonists, England was all up in our **** and we didn't want that, so we formed up and started a revolution. With all odds against us we were able to win the battle of Saratoga and gain French, Spanish, and Dutch favor against the English. As Britain saw the tides turning against them, they realized that it was at their fault to sustain such a war. They ceded all lands to the newly born United States, and took their losses.

PCbassist
04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
I got the paper back. I got a B, mostly because of issues like having 1 less source than necessary and all that bull****. Let me know if you want to see it, I can scan it.

lolmnt
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Scan dat ****.