Goo goo dolls songs & tunings

PDA

View Full Version : Goo goo dolls songs & tunings

mlfarrell
03-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Okay so while a slight few of my favorite goo goo dolls songs can be played in standard tuning, most can't. Almost all of them require tuning up at least a couple strings (usually the thin ones) and that sucks for me cause my strings on my acoustic just won't take it. I tried once, almost broke a string on the way up, and said 'screw this' and tuned back down. I've also read other ppls stories of trying to do it and breaking strings. Yet my best friend on his crappy sams club acoustic can tune up no problem.

The two big songs I really want to play are black balloon (Db Ab Db Ab Db Db), and name (D-A-E-A-E-E).

So how the heck does johnny rzeznik do it without breaking his strings. Does he just use ultra light gauge on his acoustics or what.

Its my only guitar so I really don't want to mess it up by playing too much with strings (currently got 12's) or having to change the setup because I made drastic changes to string gauges.

r1pp3z
03-12-2008, 12:46 PM
It can be done. It has to be possible if people are writing songs in it right? So just do it. The strings may creak or make a popping sound but thats okay. Just turn the tuner VERY SLOW. Let the string stretch out and take it easy. Also, if your strings are brand new I would wear them in a bit before tuning up and if they're very old (read: Rusty) they're more likely to break.

mlfarrell
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
yea but my guitar tech at my local guitar shop said I should never tune up on an acoustic cause it could break the saddle (rip it off)

i mean I suppose its not as drastic since i'd only be tuning the d, g and b strings up but still

and also for D-A-E-A-E-E, I have to tune the B string all the way up to E! thats madness. I don't see how it wouldn't break doing that.

furph
03-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Hey man used to have this problem when playinthese two songs i actually lower the tunings accordingly and put capos on to get them in the right pitch! If you want to tune to the right tuning and note break strings then heres the answer!

Name-BGDGDD/Capo 2nd Fret

Black Balloon-BGbBGbBB/Capo 3rd Fret

Enjoy :)

Shinoda_Ex
03-13-2008, 12:09 PM
You can tune them 2 semitones down.

For Black Balloon, you can use CGCGCC and CGDGDD for Name. Unless you plan on singing in the key of Db or A like John, I don't see why you would need to tune them up like that.

B -> E is possible; I've done it on a 0.10 gauge set though. B is probably one of your strongest strings since it's rather thick without being wound. G -> A is the biggest problem for me.

mlfarrell
03-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Thats good advice. I actually played yesterday in an alternate tuning for name (D-A-D-A-A-E) and tuned my G up to A. I was scared as hell that my G was gonna break but it made it (elixer strings are more durable I guess).

Lord-O-Donuts
03-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Replace the strings that are supposed to be tuned up, with strings that can be tuned higher in pitch.

Ex. Instead of tuning the B-string up to E, replace it with an E-string.

Kid_Thorazine
03-13-2008, 03:55 PM
I would use thinner gauge strings.

axemanchris
03-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else wish that, despite their more sophisticated writing they have demonstrated over the past 10 years, that they would go back to crank it up and rock out like Boy Named Goo and Superstar Car Wash?

Man, those were damn fine albums. The new stuff is mostly just kinda boring.

I saw them on the Boy Named Goo tour when they still played as a 3-piece. Wow! Were they ever good. And they sounded HUGE for just three guys!

CT

Hobolad
03-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Use a capo?

Flying Couch
03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
yea but my guitar tech at my local guitar shop said I should never tune up on an acoustic cause it could break the saddle (rip it off)Bullshit. Not that it could rip the saddle off, that's correct, but it's bullshit that you should never do it. Has he ever heard of open E?Is it just me, or does anyone else wish that, despite their more sophisticated writing they have demonstrated over the past 10 years, that they would go back to crank it up and rock out like Boy Named Goo and Superstar Car Wash?:cheers:

mlfarrell
03-14-2008, 06:18 PM
axemanchris. I agree with you partly. What about big machine though? thats a pretty awesome upbeat song. I'm not that crazy about the recently released album but its still decent. I've always considered GGD to be a soft rock band though personally

axemanchris
03-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Big Machine is a good song. They've come to include what feels to be a single 'token rock tune' on each album. Back in the old days, they had tons of great songs. The two albums cited above were fantastic from start to finish. Funny, each had a token ballad or two on them. Two Days in February from Hold Me Up, and Name, of course.

We are the Normal was a really early nod to what they were going to ultimately become. Great song, but they also played it with a lot of heart.
CT

Chad48309
03-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Bullshit. Not that it could rip the saddle off, that's correct, but it's bullshit that you should never do it. Has he ever heard of open E?:cheers:
It won't rip the saddle off, it'll rip the bridge off, and in actuality, your strings will break before you reach enough tension to pull the bridge anywhere.

Also, yes, using lighter gauge strings is an option. Look at Nashville tuning: http://www.wikihow.com/Tune-Your-Guitar-to-Nashville-Tuning

axemanchris
03-15-2008, 10:07 AM
I've seen bridges come right off due to too much tension. Mind you, that was someone putting steel strings on a classical guitar.

CT