troublesome band member

PDA

View Full Version : troublesome band member

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Okay, now I've had this sorta thing before. There's tensions in a band, and rightly so.

This post is almost like a letter to the band mate annoying everyone at the moment, and is also a user on this forum.

See...now this one member I feel is starting to get on everyones nerves for the following reasons:

1) Refusal of classification/Put down of others material
Sure, we all want to be unique, but when you find a niche you stick to it. After a few practice sessions my band started to give of this experimental rock/metal vibe (CKY and others). However, this said member believes we are more alternative than experimental. This is a "3 against 1" situation. This also leads to him putting down other peoples riffs and drum beats, saying they "need work". To be honest, they don't. They really don't. It sounds great as it is, and would sound better if you let others do their job....leading to point 2.

2) "You do your job, and we can do ours!"
This is totally believe in. Our drummer created an okay drum beat...this member just takes the sticks and has this "Play this instead" moment. Okay, so it sounds good...but dude, you're a guitarist (with little influences in experimental rock)...do your job, not others. That way we won't feel like a covers band.

3) Always wanting to out do others
He recently upgraded his guitar with a Motherbucker...all fine and dandy but when it sends your clean channel into a saturated crunch, it's a bit messed up. He also shows off about his new Line 6 Uber Metal and the like. It gets a bit too annoying if you ask me. All this me, me, me crap is far too irritating...

4) "That tuning semi-cripples my writing style"
Okay...I prefer to write in a single tuning (DGCFAD). Helps the music flow a little for me, as well as our bassist. This said member wants to keep messing around with Drop C. Okay, to each their own, but Drop C totally cripples my writing style. Scales go out the window. It's just too god damn fiddly during a gig and feels way too sloppy for me....it may semi-cripple you to tune to DGCFAD dude...but it totally cripples my style!!!

5) Bullsh*t pressure
Yes, we have a gig coming up. But suggesting "we teach the bassist all the songs again in Drop C" is just pointless. If we stuck to a single tuning, we wouldnt have to. Taking over other peoples jobs would ease the pressure a lot too.

EDIT: And what's more is...I don't think he realises he's doing this...

Okay, rant over. Opinions? We are having a band meeting tonight, and this felt like a good way to vent and at least remember my points.

HeavenlyVirus
03-12-2008, 11:39 AM
kick him out. Guitarists are dime-o-dozen

EDIT: Drop C totally cripples my writing style. Scales go out the window. It's just too god damn fiddly during a gig and feels way too sloppy for me

Yea, had to say this? How the **** does it send scales out the window? you're changing 1 STRINGS TUNING!!!! And for the sloppy feel part, once again, YOU'RE CHANGING 1 STRING!!! It's barely gonna feel different.

guitaristben
03-12-2008, 11:41 AM
just kick the **** out!

Footzyrama
03-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Kick him out!
find someone knew who seems to know what the **** there talking about.

<the_last>
03-12-2008, 11:48 AM
i am sorry man!!! if i only knew how bad i was ****ing up i would have stopped!

SA215OL
03-12-2008, 11:48 AM
yea dude, it really wouldnt be that hard to find some one else to play for you if not, just add some reverb to your amp and play with a one guitar band for the moment. just have your bassist play more of a guitar role during solos or whatever.

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
kick him out. Guitarists are dime-o-dozen

EDIT:

Yea, had to say this? How the **** does it send scales out the window? you're changing 1 STRINGS TUNING!!!! And for the sloppy feel part, once again, YOU'RE CHANGING 1 STRING!!! It's barely gonna feel different.

I just feel more comfortable with DGCFAD...Its also that if he kept writing in Drop C, the gig would most likely involve tuning up, then down, then up and down again

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
i am sorry man!!! if i only knew how bad i was ****ing up i would have stopped!

its not you dude LOL

postmortem2006
03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Don't just kick him out, thats the last hting you wanna resort to. Sit his ass down and say 'listen, you're pissing us off with *insert list of negativities here* please sort it out or we're gonna have to drop you'.

Never EVER fire someone right off the bat, that makes you even worse than they are. Give the guy a chance, if he keeps ****ing you around then fire his one eyed ass and hire me instead XD

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Don't just kick him out, thats the last hting you wanna resort to. Sit his ass down and say 'listen, you're pissing us off with *insert list of negativities here* please sort it out or we're gonna have to drop you'.

Never EVER fire someone right off the bat, that makes you even worse than they are. Give the guy a chance, if he keeps ****ing you around then fire his one eyed ass and hire me instead XD

thats what I'mn thinking..I'm all for second chances, but if he does mess up then its his own fault for being a megalomaniac

Tdevil333
03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Kick him out or beat him up.

-Collapse-
03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
He sounds like a complete ass-hat who isn't suited for a band situation...or life. :p:
I agree with your decision completely.

Edit:

Tot he above suggestion of a second chance.
When it comes to someone who has a big ego and a controlling personality, he's just not going to change and sit quiet.
And if he did start acting normally, you'd know he's brooding inside wants to kill you all.

rizo299
03-12-2008, 11:57 AM
I just feel more comfortable with DGCFAD...Its also that if he kept writing in Drop C, the gig would most likely involve tuning up, then down, then up and down again
My band just tends to order the set list so that it involves as little retuning as possible.

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 11:57 AM
My band just tends to order the set list so that it involves as little retuning as possible.

true...maybe DGCFAD is my comfort zone? lol

rizo299
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
true...maybe DGCFAD is my comfort zone? lol
Gotta step out of your comfort zone sometime :p:

If you never stop playing in D standard you'll never get comfortable with Drop C

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Gotta step out of your comfort zone sometime :p:

If you never stop playing in D standard you'll never get comfortable with Drop C

True...I do fiddle with it but nothign really sounds good when I try it out. I recently rewrote a riff in D Standard and it sounded much better then its Drop C original..this rewrite was shot down by the member being an ass

seedmole
03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
What's the issue if he is in drop C and you are in D standard? Just because one member of the band changes their tuning doesn't mean that you need to do so also.

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 12:10 PM
What's the issue if he is in drop C and you are in D standard? Just because one member of the band changes their tuning doesn't mean that you need to do so also.

its not a major issue....but when he's starting to dictate how **** should sound, thats the time when either its talked out or sudden life-threatening violence occurs.

seedmole
03-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Wait, when you write a song for your band, do you write his guitar part, in addition to yours?

jeowy
03-12-2008, 12:19 PM
get jimmy_lim in here!

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 12:21 PM
To clear it all up. I don't write his parts. He has attempted to write mine, as with the bassist and drummer.

Thanks for all the advice, peeps.

We, as a band, are gonna have words with him tonight.

seedmole
03-12-2008, 12:22 PM
To clear it all up. I don't write his parts. He has attempted to write mine, as with the bassist and drummer.

Oh, okay, I see now. He keeps trying to tell you to use drop C tuning, even though you would much rather use D standard, right?

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Oh, okay, I see now. He keeps trying to tell you to use drop C tuning, even though you would much rather use D standard, right?

practically, yes. He is willing to tune to D Standard, but never ever keeps it that way. Either way tuning is not the issue or the problem. It's everything else.

JoshCrawford
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Poor kid sounds like hes better and more single minded than you all.

hellview_666
03-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Poor kid sounds like hes better and more single minded than you all.

And whats that supposed to mean?! That his "uniqueness" is better than ours, just because myself, bassist and drumemr agree with eachother? What you have just said was completely ****in' stupid in every way, shape and form.

EDIT: Also, I've let him write stuff...but he isnt willing let us write ours! Taking over someones roles is not being single minded..tis being a megalomaniac and selfish!