Band Idea (Melodic Death Metal idea...)

PDA

View Full Version : Band Idea (Melodic Death Metal idea...)

Slaytanic1993
03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Okay, I posted this in the Metal forum first, to be safe as it was the "metal" forum, but it got closed :( .

Okay, idea here is .

-Melodic guitar along the lines of Opeth, Amon Amarth, and Post-Symbolic Death
-Growling vocals like Opeth, AA, and Vader
-Clean vocals like Dream Theater (lower range), Porcupine Tree (lower range) and Opeth
-Lyrics that follow a Viking/Pagan/Folk vein. I just shine with these lyrics.
-Jazz drumming with death metal influence.\
-Strange instruments for metal. Such as a trumpet, organ, and saxophone (all courtesy of myself :D )

Would anyone here listen to this type of music. I know most you would laugh hearing this type of music, or say it was **** or something along those lines. Just give me an honest opinion.

Deagle-Eyes
03-12-2008, 05:52 PM
don't, metal sucks

Punks|Not|Dead
03-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm not a metal fan but I don't think you could realistically make a Metal-ish song work if you introduced a Sax or Trumpet.

Perhaps try some other instruments, more string based. Violin or cello for example. That could work better.

the_wiz
03-12-2008, 05:53 PM
lol

Slaytanic1993
03-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm not a metal fan but I don't think you could realistically make a Metal-ish song work if you introduced a Sax or Trumpet.

Perhaps try some other instruments, more string based. Violin or cello for example. That could work better.

Well, I like those instruments, but they've been done a lot. And I wanna try and breath some new life into metal (even though people are doing that as we speak [type I guess], you get my point).

Punks|Not|Dead
03-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Well, I like those instruments, but they've been done a lot. And I wanna try and breath some new life into metal (even though people are doing that as we speak [type I guess], you get my point).
Hmmm depending on how you used these instruments though.

I mean something like an organ could work very well. I think a trumpet would make it sound too light hearted and just totally take away the whole effect of being a metal band

misfitsweare138
03-12-2008, 05:56 PM
I would probably listen to it if it's good.

MuffinMan
03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I would love this. Do want. As long as it's executed well, of course.

diminishedtobme
03-12-2008, 05:59 PM
So its Jazzy Pagan Viking Metal? :confused: Idk, write some songs and see if they work, its hard to decide if you don't hear anything.

impeachpedro10
03-12-2008, 05:59 PM
hell, could be good. idk about brass instruments in metal, but maybe you could be the first to make some true ska-metal :P

emr_steelmech
03-12-2008, 06:02 PM
organ could easily work. Sax could work if you did it right. Trumpet, not so much I think but I'd have to hear what you come up with first.

I love prog/death metalz.

SideshowRaven24
03-12-2008, 06:03 PM
sounds br00tal haha. really, sounds good.

Slaytanic1993
03-12-2008, 06:05 PM
So its Jazzy Pagan Viking Metal? :confused: Idk, write some songs and see if they work, its hard to decide if you don't hear anything.

Exactly, I've tried writing some stuff.
It works pretty nicely. The trumpet had to be worked on a bit more than guitars but it sounded nice when put together.
I was thinking of many replacing certain guitar solos with trumpet, organ, etc solos.

impeachpedro10
03-12-2008, 06:10 PM
tape emgs to the trumpet to get a brootal horn tone

Slaytanic1993
03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
tape emgs to the trumpet to get a brootal horn tone

Better yet, pump the trumpet through a Framus Dragon :headbang:

:haha

Armagedn
03-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, I hate Death Metal, and this isn't exactly death metal, but listen to "A Little Piece of Heaven" by Avenged Sevenfold. It uses brass instruments a lot.

Here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qvLjZLWdTeU

Slaytanic1993
03-12-2008, 10:11 PM
^
I've heard it, I hate A7X, but yeah they're really diverse I'll give em that. I mean country-ish song and then that.

FeiRei
03-13-2008, 12:05 AM
http://www.myspace.com/midnightbomberwhatbombsatmidnight

These guys make Metal and Sax work, though I have to agree on the trumpet thing, unless you can get a nice blues style trumpet player who knows how to get dark tones from a trumpet.

pandora_grunt
03-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Disclaimer: I just got out of bed so didn't read everything...

Organs or something similar is more often used in metal then you might think. But thats mostly power metal and stuff. But my point is: The lower tones of an organ can be really spooky. Maybe a ghost tale or something for the lyrics?

Saxophone. Well A cool instrument, but you'll have to experiment.

Trumpets: perhaps they could be used for the folk aspects of a songs, but it's a long shot if you ask me.

MadassAlex
03-13-2008, 04:13 AM

Sigh.

binkythefurious
03-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Use a tuba, nice low end brass, and a claironet could be handy too

But yeah do it, no one ever got anywhere playing it safe

FuzzyBear
03-13-2008, 06:21 AM
to continue the viking them ditch the trumpet and use the horn of gondor instead

.fallen
03-17-2008, 12:38 AM
so why does everyone think trumpet would be the least competant instrument here? i mean, after the organ it still beats the sax by a long shot.

think wagner, epic melodies, give it a symphonic sound.

sax, completely unsure of.

Avedas
03-17-2008, 01:39 AM
to continue the viking them ditch the trumpet and use the horn of gondor instead

Or bring one of these (http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/acatalog/DX614GClose.jpg) on stage.

As for Akerfeldt vocals, good luck :rolleyes:

5150addict
03-18-2008, 10:35 AM
youve obviously never listened to kayo dot or sleep terror. get with it. thats not really an original idea lol.

CanCan
03-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I ****ing would.

Zycho
03-18-2008, 02:48 PM
**** everyone else, play what you want. It's YOUR music make it the way YOU want. If you just play for everyone else and never for yourself you're just going to feel ****ty about your music.

Slaytanic1993
03-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Or bring one of these (http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/acatalog/DX614GClose.jpg) on stage.

As for Akerfeldt vocals, good luck :rolleyes:

Yeah, I said like Akerfeldt, as in my range is similar to his, as he can hit pretty deep notes and go rather high too, which I can do rather nicely too (If I may say so myself).

I can do the PT and DT lows better than his vocals, though...he just has an epicstacular voice that no one can really replicate