need some help with my band!!!

PDA

View Full Version : need some help with my band!!!

andrebranco
03-12-2008, 06:36 PM
hi. i recently started a band with some friends and want to cover some songs before starting to create our own stuff. we're very young (drummer is 12 and the rest of us are 14/15)and we are not very good on music. our band is composed by:Lead guitar, rythm guitar, bass, keyboard, singer and drummer. we like just about anything, from pop/rock to metal. i have 2 questions:
1) do you think the band is too big?
2)what songs should we cover? we've tried smells like teen spirit by nirvana and it worked for us

Fight The Foo!
03-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Dont cover Teen Spirit, its kinda taboo lol try The Doors they have all the instruments in your band or try some Foo Fighters songs.

Fight The Foo!
03-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Or any songs with two guitars in really. You cant really ask UGers about what covers to do as you have to work out what songs you like or dislike wiht your band.

schecter_r0cker
03-12-2008, 06:46 PM
As much as I HATE dragon force, if ur any good at tremolo picking and ur keyboard player can move his fingers Cover one of their songs, but Dragon force sucks, so that might make u guys Auto-Fail if u play anything by them

Fight The Foo!
03-12-2008, 06:48 PM
As much as I HATE dragon force, if ur any good at tremolo picking and ur keyboard player can move his fingers Cover one of their songs, but Dragon force sucks, so that might make u guys Auto-Fail if u play anything by them

Lol! +1

octopig
03-12-2008, 06:49 PM
your bands fine, slipknot has all these random people that practically do nothing in their band and it has like 9 peopele

My band started about 2 years back and im turning 15 in june, we started off learning songs like,

all these things i hate - bullet for my valentine
accidents - alexisonfire
my heroine - silverstein
this is how it goes - billy talent

their not crazy easy songs, but they are easy but will also impress

good luck on gettin started!

Mr E
03-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Smells like teen spirit always tends to work, as everybody knows it, but if you can avoid it, just because everybody plays it! I would recommend Some Chili Peppers, as you could use keyboard for the extra instruments, and The Arcade Fire might be fun, but you might want something heavier?!

octopig
03-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Or any songs with two guitars in really. You cant really ask UGers about what covers to do as you have to work out what songs you like or dislike wiht your band.

this is also extremely true, who kinda have to do songs that you find exciting and enjoy based on your influences

Damascus
03-12-2008, 06:57 PM
A great deal of Pink Floyd songs have exactly your set-up: Mason's Drums, Wright's Keyboards, Water's Bass, Gilmour's Guitar and an extra Guitar overdub of Lead/Rhythm.

Their stuff isn't particularly difficult, but certainly most will be too difficult for beginners. Nevertheless, have a look at something like "Money" - simple main riff, you can simplify the guitar solo down to what your lead can handle...

Armagedn
03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
The Final Countdown. Or something by Lynyrd Skynyrd. The Doors didn't hae a bass. You could try some Ozzy, maybe Mr. Crowley. It really all depends on what YOU want, though.

FeiRei
03-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Roland by Interpol is super easy and cool sounding.

stratkat
03-13-2008, 10:42 AM
The junior varsity, crash romeo, all american rejects, and hellogoodbye. all four have pretty close to your set up, and are fairly easy

hayz_182
03-13-2008, 10:50 AM
go for some motion city soundtrack - "my favourite accident", or something corporate - "space" or "i woke up in a car"... new found glory "failures not flattering" pretty much anything off their album "catalyst"

Arca301
03-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Try some Deep Purple songs, like SOTW (the full song is actually at fairly intermediate level, despite a simple main riff), or Burn. Burn is just an awesome song period.

guitaruboy
03-13-2008, 09:10 PM
whatever you like to listen or can play really well