Well. i'm a vocalist.

PDA

View Full Version : Well. i'm a vocalist.

wonderluster310
03-13-2008, 06:44 PM
and i'm looking for a decent PA system so i can be heard over the drums and guitars!!!

what type of wattage should i be looking at for my PA system? our guitarists are on one line 6 spider 3 75W and one crate 60W. and our bassist is on a 15W behringer thunderbird. i was looking at phonic 200W and kustom 100W packages.

any suggestions?

gallagher2006
03-13-2008, 06:55 PM
If you're going to invest in a PA system, get a decent one that can last throughout gigs. 600w should be sufficent for just about any venue, and even then you could mic amps into it aswell.

HH_Emo_666
03-13-2008, 06:58 PM
im not sure exactly .. but my friend bought a PA system for maybe like 200- 250$ and it was pretty good. It looks something like this.

http://www.music123.com/Audio-Choice-C100A-Portable-PA-System-630260-i1372191.Music123

I mean it looks small, but its pretty damn loud .

He plays drums, I play guitar on my Spider III 120W amp, and my other friend plays on his Crate 100W and it sounds really good

So i was just letting one musician to a fellow one on some good cheap gear

Retro Rocker
03-13-2008, 07:31 PM
and i'm looking for a decent PA system so i can be heard over the drums and guitars!!!

what type of wattage should i be looking at for my PA system? our guitarists are on one line 6 spider 3 75W and one crate 60W. and our bassist is on a 15W behringer thunderbird. i was looking at phonic 200W and kustom 100W packages.

any suggestions?
You should sort that out first.

wonderluster310
03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
yeah. lol we're trying to raise money at the moment for a crash cymbal, bass amp, and PA package. we're just trying to get some figures on how much everything should cost.

shortyafter
03-13-2008, 08:31 PM
I think every band should have a PA, even if it's just for practice. But how much you should invest depends on where you plan on playing. A lot of venues will have a house PA system. If you're not sure that they have one, just ask before you book a show. If you go to parties or cafes/bars you'll usually need your own system.

How much you should spend depends on where you plan on playing.

100+ Watts - Suitable for small indoor gigs and practice. My band just played indoors for about 30 people and we use a 100 watt PA. The vocals were actually too loud in some parts, and that was over drums, 2 guitars, and bass. No trouble being heard.

200+ Watts - A little louder, you can probably use it for small outdoor gigs in addition to the stuff above.

300+ Watts - Probably good for larger indoor gigs and small/mid-sized outdoor gigs.

500/600+ Watts - All you'll ever need. But it's expensive.

Where I live, the main venues all have house PA systems. We just need our PA for practice and for the occasional indoor gig at a cafe or a party. All of our larger gigs will be played at venues that will provide the PA for us. That's why we went cheap and only got 100 watts. If you know of a lot of venues with house systems and plan on playing most of your shows there, then don't make a huge investment towards your own PA.

If you don't plan on playing most of your shows at venues with house PA's, then invest a little more and get more wattage. I'd say probably 300+ watts. 200 might work too, but 300+ would be your best bet.

If you want your PA to work for pretty much anything, go with 500 or 600+ watts. That's real expensive though. If you know you aren't going to need that much power, then don't buy it. A lot of people will make you think that you have to buy the highest end system. It's just not practical. But don't be too cheap, because it's better to have too much power than too little.

Also remember you will need mics, mics cables, mic stands, and various other accessories. So don't blow all your money on a system and have nothing left for accessories!

Basically what I'm saying is that you should buy the system that's right for you. Don't blow all your money on a 600 watt system that you will never use. But if you actually are planning to use your PA a lot, then the 600 watts may be a good investment.

Hope that helps.

FeiRei
03-13-2008, 11:34 PM
^+1

SlackerBabbath
03-14-2008, 07:09 AM
I think every band should have a PA, even if it's just for practice. But how much you should invest depends on where you plan on playing. A lot of venues will have a house PA system. If you're not sure that they have one, just ask before you book a show. If you go to parties or cafes/bars you'll usually need your own system.

How much you should spend depends on where you plan on playing.

100+ Watts - Suitable for small indoor gigs and practice. My band just played indoors for about 30 people and we use a 100 watt PA. The vocals were actually too loud in some parts, and that was over drums, 2 guitars, and bass. No trouble being heard.

200+ Watts - A little louder, you can probably use it for small outdoor gigs in addition to the stuff above.

300+ Watts - Probably good for larger indoor gigs and small/mid-sized outdoor gigs.

500/600+ Watts - All you'll ever need. But it's expensive.

Where I live, the main venues all have house PA systems. We just need our PA for practice and for the occasional indoor gig at a cafe or a party. All of our larger gigs will be played at venues that will provide the PA for us. That's why we went cheap and only got 100 watts. If you know of a lot of venues with house systems and plan on playing most of your shows there, then don't make a huge investment towards your own PA.

If you don't plan on playing most of your shows at venues with house PA's, then invest a little more and get more wattage. I'd say probably 300+ watts. 200 might work too, but 300+ would be your best bet.

If you want your PA to work for pretty much anything, go with 500 or 600+ watts. That's real expensive though. If you know you aren't going to need that much power, then don't buy it. A lot of people will make you think that you have to buy the highest end system. It's just not practical. But don't be too cheap, because it's better to have too much power than too little.

Also remember you will need mics, mics cables, mic stands, and various other accessories. So don't blow all your money on a system and have nothing left for accessories!

Basically what I'm saying is that you should buy the system that's right for you. Don't blow all your money on a 600 watt system that you will never use. But if you actually are planning to use your PA a lot, then the 600 watts may be a good investment.

Hope that helps.
Agreed.
My own band has a 5000 watt PA (5k) but we very rarely use all of it together. We can strip it down and use components to make smaller, more managable systems, based on the size of the venue we're using it in.
Sounds expensive I know, but when we started, we played loads of gigs at venues with in house PAs for as much money as we could get, then paid ourselves a very small amount from that money and put the rest into a PA fund. Eventualy we had enough cash to buy a pretty decent second hand 1000 watt (1k) rig and have been adding to it ever since.
A decent PA system is usualy an ongoing project.