Breaching into other music

PDA

View Full Version : Breaching into other music

ImAFukingZombee
03-14-2008, 05:47 AM
So I know this sounds revolutionary and stuff.... but how do you people breach into other genres of music?

anyone go a bit crazy for Drum and Bass? or love the riddims of hardcore Ragga?

let us what other music you listen to.... or if you don't give a few bands here a try.

My most recent dabblings (over the past year or so) are heavy Dub (which quite a ffew british punk bands are exploring too, Inner terrestrials, Suicide Bid, P.A.I.N, etc) and some crazy Ragga. Check out a bit of Capleton, or Sizzla..... They make some mega Bass-heavy reggae and rhyme over the top... MINT

radio_schizo
03-14-2008, 06:05 AM
I listen to all sorts of music. At the moment I am listening to Jonathan Richman...not exactly very punk.

I also like dub, reggae, ska, folk, jazz, blues, indie, hardcore, grindcore, thrash, drum&bass, dubstep, psychedelic, glam rock, classical. Pretty much any genre, but punk stands as the core of my music taste.

ImAFukingZombee
03-14-2008, 06:06 AM
namedrops???

come on i wanna hear some of this

radio_schizo
03-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Well as far as drum& Bass goes I like Noisia, Apex, Spor, Vicious Circle.

Dub reggae, I love the old stuff like King Tubby, King Jammy, Lee Perry, Augustus Pablo. I'm also getting into lover's rock

Folk -It doesn't get but better than Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen.

New indie bands I really like are The Veils, Hatcham Social and Vampire Weekend.

The no.1 grindcore band of all time is Discordance Axis :headbang:

The Kinks are my most favourite band ever.

BrianApocalypse
03-14-2008, 07:37 AM
I like Psychedelic Rock, some prog, and lately I've been listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain, and Mudhoney.

FuzzyBear
03-14-2008, 07:40 AM
i love abit of melodic death metal an nwobhm

also alot of 90's hiphop

and some random stuff like the eels, they indie maybe?

radio_schizo
03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
I like Psychedelic Rock, some prog, and lately I've been listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain, and Mudhoney.
Jesus and Mary Chain are wicked. Listening to Psychocandy is what I imagine it is like to listen to the Ramones through a really bad cd player whilst high on loads of ketamine.

recklessnick
03-14-2008, 08:39 AM
i like alot of new school and melodic hardcore. melodic death metal, some melodic metalcore. some old school hip hop (mc hammer!), stuff by john lennon and the beatles (im not sure what genre is this under).

lavazza
03-14-2008, 09:09 AM
There is a threat like this......I think itīs 1 month old.......but ok:
If you liek names: The Doors, The Who, Tom Waits, Jimi Hendrix, Sepultura, Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt, Iggy Pop, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley......

RockThe40oz
03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Jesus and Mary Chain are wicked. Listening to Psychocandy is what I imagine it is like to listen to the Ramones through a really bad cd player whilst high on loads of ketamine.
Hmmm. do we have any takers for testing this theory?

werty22
03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm not including any ska, post-punk, proto-punk, or new wave bands.

British invasion:
I like The Beatles, The Yardbirds, and The Who, as well as a few more.

Rockabilly:
Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochrin, The Stray Cats

Pop-punk (the kind that aren't allowed to be discussed in this forum):
Green Day. Lately, I've gotten into Blink 182 a little bit. And just yesterday, I realized that Bowling For Soup aren't as bad as I thought.

Reggae and Dub:
I would really like to listen to more of this because I love The Clash's dubbish stuff, but right now I don't have much of it. I've only heard one Bob Marley song I like. I'm probably going to get some albums by King Tubby, Mikey Dread, and Lee Perry sometime fairly soon.

Folk:
Johnny Cash. Bob Dylan is OK too.

Surf:
Dick Dale, The Ventures

Other various bands:
The Doors, My Chemical Romance, Pink Floyd, The Mars Volta, Modest Mouse, Queen, The Raconteurs, The White Stripes, early U2