oh......dang, we're a band in trouble here

PDA

View Full Version : oh......dang, we're a band in trouble here

guitar_hero543
03-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Ok, here's the deal, I'm a drummer in a band, me and my lead guitarist who's been my best friend since we were 6 both decided that instead of playing a more Chevelle/3 doors down ish style, that we would start to go back to the roots of true hard rock, I grew up on bands like The Guess Who and Deep Purple because I live on a farm and we never had high speed and so I never really downloaded a whole lot of music, and my 3 older brothers all, even though we had our favorite newer stuff, we also shared our dad's music taste's all the way and thus my brothers who are now all in university, have Peter Frampton and Neil Young and Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin and all those greats in their cd collections...I've been the only guy at home for awhile and so I kinda started listening to that mainstream crap a little bit I'm sad to say, so the band me and my friend formed started playing your average everyday alternative "metal"...
this year while on a couple hockey trips with my dad playing some Hendrix in the car I realized that this was what our band needed to be like, we needed to go back to what made rock what it is today, something that alot of people sadly have forgotten..so I brought up the idea with my co-founder/lead guitarist/best friend and he thought it was a great idea to start putting a little more skill into the riffs and a little less distortion, and he also bought a wah...but we're in trouble, our singer who's kinda a metalhead, decided that we weren't playing "hard" enough crap in the first place and to turn it down to a classic rock level would mean that he'd quit and look for a "true" metal band (and by "metal" he meant screamo...i mean like, emo/screamo...i know, he's a douchebag) and then our bassist, who isn't that great to begin with, looked at some of the more tougher riffs of the songs we'd be covering rather than the easy riffs from sh*tty bands like 3 days grace, and he quit, also cause he didn't like the plain "boringness" of the 70's....rather shocked, me and my lead tried to reason with him but he's not a very reasonable kid so we booted him out...
so now we're just 2 teenagers who have a taste for true rock and like rocking out to it in our garage's and experimenting with his crybaby wah wah pedal, and I know a bassist in a town about 45 minutes away (our town has about 4500 people....5000 when its friday and the natives come into town with their paychecks, the other town has about the same) I'm good friends with this kid and he's a good bassist...he's kind of a emo/screamo music liker but he's open to all kinds of music and likes indy and classic rock too so he's a good prospect...only he lives that far away,
would you recommend going for this bassist even though it'd be tougher to organize practice's? and were me and my friend wrong in proposing that idea and booting the bassist? personally I think they both overreacted way to bad and should've considered that they probably wont find another drummer in this town who's as comfortable on a kit than me (i've been going since i was 7) or with my skill level, and they probably wont find a better guitarist than my friend (he's fer sure the best teen-aged guitarist in town), I can play bass and a little guitar, but only enough to write down stuff (with alot of difficulty) that i can give to my guitarist, and I'm not all that great at bass either, at least not better than I am on drums so I don't want to be bassist, if we can't land the bassist should we go for a guitarist and see if he can learn bass? and for a singer, I was thinking of looking through some churches, it seems there's always some guy our age who can sing in a church..although it'd be hard to find a ROCK voice cause they usually have that over perfect and polite sounding singing voice...

Archeo Avis
03-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Oh...sweet...Jesus.
Use paragraphs man!

Was that...was that all one sentence? I don't see any periods in there.

Mud Martian
03-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Opening this topic was the equivalent of a brick wall popping up in front of me on the highway. Learn to structure your posts.

druz15_UG
wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text
wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text

... oh and yes they overreacted and you should try the bassist. And get a good singer, they are HARD motherf_ckers to find.

Yeah, i read it all

Nathan Milley
lol what is that... fewer words in the bible then this

acerst
03-17-2008, 01:32 AM
our lead guitarist lives 30 minutes away, and still makes it to practice. id say go for it, better one far away than nothing at all.

Fallenblood
03-17-2008, 01:36 AM
On the contrary, I didn't find it at all hard to read.
How come anyone could live 45 minutes away in a town of 5000?

Archeo Avis
03-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Let me get this straight: You're trying to recapture the spirit of 70's rock (innovation) by copying 70's rock?

Fail.

binkythefurious
03-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Let me get this straight: You're trying to recapture the spirit of 70's rock (innovation) by copying 70's rock?

Fail.

He's right man, don't do old school for the sake of old school. You run the risk of becoming a revivalist band like airbourne or something, and then you will fit nicely in to the cubby of "self-parody"

It's cool if you don't want to do alt/ metal but you've got to make it your own. Find out what makes you unique and emphasise the hell out of it.

Plus definitely get the bassist, because if he does travel that far it means he's dedicated as **** and you can't go wrong with him. And definitely get the church singer, vocals that clean can really work. Listen to some heavier Jethro Tull or something and you'll see you don't always need a dirty gravelly voice for rock

SlackerBabbath
03-17-2008, 07:37 AM

Fail.He's right man, don't do old school for the sake of old school. You run the risk of becoming a revivalist band like airbourne or something, and then you will fit nicely in to the cubby of "self-parody"
It doesn't matter what they play or what their reasons are for doing it, it's their choice. If that's what they want to play, then that should be cool with both of you as musicians that play what you want to play.

It's cool if you don't want to do alt/ metal but you've got to make it your own. Find out what makes you unique and emphasise the hell out of it.

Plus definitely get the bassist, because if he does travel that far it means he's dedicated as **** and you can't go wrong with him. And definitely get the church singer, vocals that clean can really work. Listen to some heavier Jethro Tull or something and you'll see you don't always need a dirty gravelly voice for rock
Agreed.

Archeo Avis
03-17-2008, 07:54 AM
It doesn't matter what they play or what their reasons are for doing it, it's their choice. If that's what they want to play, then that should be cool with both of you as musicians that play what you want to play.

Is anyone stopping them?

SlackerBabbath
03-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Is anyone stopping them?
No, but then I'm not saying that anyone is, just that it's not really anyone's place to criticise another's choice of music that they wish to play.

dullsilver_mike
03-17-2008, 12:07 PM
No, but then I'm not saying that anyone is, just that it's not really anyone's place to criticise another's choice of music that they wish to play.

unless that anyone is a music critic ;)

guitar_hero543
03-17-2008, 03:28 PM
sorry bout the big paragraph, I organized it in the box and stuff and for some reason it still came out like a piece of crap so I said what the hell and just went with it. It's hard to explain what I mean about what style we're aiming for, I just meant that we'd be almost experimental with our sound, and instead of writing really serious lyrics with serious sounding riffs like alot of bands do nowdays we'd go for a more bright and hard rocking sound. Not old school for the sake of old school, this is the type of music I've preferred since I was little and this is the music we feel like playing.

ThomasLantern
03-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Do whatever it takes to make your band work.
If that means 45 minute trips to jam with your bassist, so be it (see if you can alternate, or maybe he's willing to make the trek to your place each time!)
Look anywhere and everywhere there's an option to find a singer. There's no harm in trying someone out. If they don't work, you part ways with them politely, no real harm done there.

guitar_hero543
03-17-2008, 05:12 PM
On the contrary, I didn't find it at all hard to read.
How come anyone could live 45 minutes away in a town of 5000?

you've never been to saskatchewan have you? get a map of saskatchewan out and look at the nipawin, melfort, tisdale region, tisdale's the town with the bassist and nipawin's my town...the towns in sask are really close knit, like there's a town called zenon park about 30 minutes away from nipawin and it has about 300 people maybe and its about 3 minutes away from another town called arborfield with about 400 (maybe) people in it, then there's a town with about 200-300 people called codette thats about 3 minutes from nipawin....

and there's lots of farmers in saskatchewan and some have to go about 10 minutes to go to the nearest town just to get milk or something..i live 5 minutes out of nipawin and my friend lives 6 minutes out....its a sweet province, we don't have to worry about running into gay pride parades on our way to work or school cause the few gays in saskatchewan are too scared of getting egged or something (they probably would get egged)...and the lesbians don't want to have parade's because then all the men in saskatchewan would come watch and start jacking off cause lesbians are just so damn sexy :liplick:

but you get what i'm talking about with the distance thing?

guitar_hero543
03-17-2008, 05:17 PM
He's right man, don't do old school for the sake of old school. You run the risk of becoming a revivalist band like airbourne or something, and then you will fit nicely in to the cubby of "self-parody"

true, true, not to mention that we're all still young and their voices could develop to be even better than they already are..

SlackerBabbath
03-18-2008, 07:04 AM
unless that anyone is a music critic ;)

:haha

Yeah, but they don't count... being sub-human scourges of all that is good and decent that only become critics because they can't play an instrument themselves. :D

Sublime Stylee
03-18-2008, 04:56 PM
I know a bassist in a town about 45 minutes away (our town has about 4500 people....5000 when its friday and the natives come into town with their paychecks, the other town has about the same

When I read this part I instantly knew you lived in saskatchewan without even looking at your location.