Best Starter Bass under $250?

PDA

View Full Version : Best Starter Bass under $250?

Dilweed
03-17-2008, 03:25 AM
I've played guitar for like 2 years now. I always liked the sound of bass, and lately I've had the urge just to get one. I've played it and I really like it and I'm into some bass driven bands (RHCP, Primus, Dream Theater, etc.). So, I decided I'd get a cheap bass, but I want it to last for at least 2 years. I play ANY type of music with the exception of country (including rap, blues, and jazz). So I want a versatile bass that will last a long time. My choices so far have been the following:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Jazz-Bass-V-5String?sku=512619
A Squier Affinity Jazz Bass (5 string too!)

http://www.rondomusic.com/spjash.html
An SX bass (I hear these are really good for the value)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-BXP-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=511370
This one is the most acclaimed and sexy imo. Courtesy of Deliriumbassist for the 5 string model :)

I'd want a 5/6 string if possible, but I wouldn't be very upset if I had to get a 4 string. If you have any other recommendations, I would very much appreciate if you told me, seeing that I've only eye'd these 3. :mad1:

Thanks for reading/posting.

micro cuts
03-17-2008, 03:42 AM
that peavey looks hawt.

Dilweed
03-17-2008, 03:53 AM
yeah...the blue and the sunburst... :liplick:

Bass First
03-17-2008, 04:17 AM
I'd go for a 4 stringer for a first bass.

Although that peavy looks sexayyy, I'd personally reccomend the SX. Always liked mine, although mine's a presicion copy, they have a really good tone and the jazz one your looking at is supposed to be even better.

rexherring
03-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I have the 5 string SX now for leaving in our practice room. It's good for the money but the Peavey, which I also used to have, is better. It's more expensive but is better quality action and sound. Check e-bay, I got my Peavey used for $200. Also, check e-bay for a Dean Edge 5 string as they can be picked up for $250 or less at times and they are better than the Peavey. I now own 2 Dean 5 string basses and love them.

Deliriumbassist
03-17-2008, 10:38 AM
The Peavey is fantastic, it also comes in a five string, and the active version has itself some soapbars, if that's your thing.

However, try 'em out.

Dilweed
03-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Ah, thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll wait for a 5 string Peavey in blue to come on Ebay and then buy it there, but any other suggestions are still appreciated, does anyone know how versatile the Peavey is?

Captain Insano
03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
The SX looks great, I hear they play great as well.

t3hrav3n
03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
The Peavey will do just about anything you want it to, I can vouch for that. A bass is only as versatile as it's amp, though, so be sure to get a decent one. My rig is a pretty versatile one. I'll probably own that bass 'till the day I die, and not just because of the sentimental value (first bass, Christmas present).

Dilweed
03-17-2008, 06:29 PM
I can't find any 5 string SXs though...Not that I NEED one, but I've heard about the same amount of replies about the Peavey as the SX, and if both are very good, I'll go with the Peavey for the extra string. And to T3, if it helps I'm getting an Orange 35B from what I've heard about it. Subject to change...but most likely not. :peace:

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/orcr35bbaamp.html

t3hrav3n
03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't think it would be the most versatile of amps, but it's definitely a good one. From my experience, it's a good amp with good tone, but I've not had enough time to tell whether or not it's very versatile.

Dilweed
03-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Versatility > Tone for what I play...:(

rexherring
03-17-2008, 06:55 PM
http://www.rondomusic.com/bg205ash.html

Your41Plague12
03-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I'd have to say wait for the peavey. For the price, can't beat peavey gear; everything I've ever played on or through that said "Peavey" on it has been built like a tank, and never fails to work. That's something I look for in gear, I don't want something that constantly breaks down on me.

whack-a-bass
03-17-2008, 07:13 PM
that jazz should do it

qotsa1998
03-17-2008, 07:14 PM
I would stretch to $280 and get a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz bass. Its only a four-string, but it seems to be the best bass under $300, according to alot of reviews and such. Your amp is pretty important too, so dont skimp on that.

Dilweed
03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.rondomusic.com/bg205ash.html

Thank you. THAT was what I was lookin for. And for the guy above my post I said I'd prolly get an Orange 35B, but I may post an amp thread later, only worried about a bass now. :p:

zamok
03-18-2008, 07:35 PM
id go for a 4 string squire jazz p special or something

83lespaulstudio
03-18-2008, 07:59 PM
out of the choices listed, i would also choose the Peavey. more bang for the buck, in this price range. you should check out the Ibanez GSR200 also. good luck!
:cool:

anarkee
03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Thank you. THAT was what I was lookin for. And for the guy above my post I said I'd prolly get an Orange 35B, but I may post an amp thread later, only worried about a bass now. :p:

The Peavey is a great choice.

The orange crush 35 amp. If you can possibly find a dealer locally to try one out, do so. I think the tone is great on these little guys, but some people find them kinda "meh". I almost bought one myself, btw.

kranoscorp
03-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Please do not get SX, they are easily the worse basses I have ever played, I shall now give you my extremely used rant to describe them to you.
My friend owns a sunburst P-bass from SX, so I have had some exposure to them. I have to say that SX basses are the worst basses I have ever played. The neck feels cheap, the body is unusually light, I despised the sound, and my friend raised the action to a ridiculous level so that it is painful to play. TheFitz may crucify me for this, but I would rather own a Thunderbird, or an SG, rather than the pile of fecal matter that is SX.

In short, I hate SX.

I know many of you do not understand this, but I hate SX to extreme levels. They bring a notion of disgust, and I cannot even think of the brand without an immediate mood change to the worse.