Oh. no.

PDA

View Full Version : Oh. no.

smokin_joe
03-17-2008, 06:30 AM
My band has a slight problem. We had been searching for a good guitarist to replace the bad one we got rid of a few weeks ago. We finally found this kid in the grade below us, and he's really good.

But this is where the porblem strikes. He KNOWS he's good, so whenever we play, he breaks out into ten minute solos, School of Rock style, and acts like... well, acts like Slash after too much smack. He's really starting to piss the sh*t out of us, especially me and the singer, because I used to play lead, but the first time we played, he overrode me and played lead himself, so I was relegated to play rythmn. This was bad, especially since I did the lazy thing and didn't practice the rythmn like I should.

Also, he tends to do the singers job of announcing songs, the bands name, and all that crap.

We cant kick him out coz he's just too good to get rid of. He can learn a full song (intro to solo to bridge to outro... and improv as well) in half an hour and in an hour he can play it behind his head, with his feet, and his nuts on fire.

So yeah. Kick him out, try to shrink his head... What should I do?

GnRLies
03-17-2008, 06:34 AM
tell him to stop making solos.
or if he doesnt.. then tell him to get the f**k out of here.

thats my idea.
i am the Lead Guitarist in our band, and my solos are MAX 30 seconds.

Taoistic_Beer
03-17-2008, 06:34 AM
You need to beat him in a guitar battle.

GnRLies
03-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Beer... your wierdo... what if joe doesnt play Guitar..

duhhh--

chillrock
03-17-2008, 06:36 AM
have a chat with him, but dont close in on him. for a band to play well together you need to communicate, which means tell people if theyre too greedy, or if something sucks.

if hes a flashy player on stage, and your audience seems to like it, then id leave him to ponce around. but the singer should introduce the songs.

how old is he? maybe hell realise one day that his "act" is retarded, and just concentrate on playing. maybe hes the next Angus Young.......

smokin_joe
03-17-2008, 06:37 AM
lmao. Guitar hero 3 style.

and to GnRLies, I try, but he gets caught up in the heat of the moment (or so he says) and he can't help himself. I personally think thats bullsh*t. I might take the guitar battle suggestion. lol.

EDIT: we play at schools and pubs. soloing like your jimi hendrix just makes everyone think "asshole". and hes 14.

consecutive e
03-17-2008, 06:39 AM
Just talk to him.
But.
Also, he tends to do the singers job of announcing songs, the bands name, and all that crap.
I don't agree thats the singers job. so what you sing the song theres other people in the band to they deserve a chance to connect. talk to the audience if they want.

CortFan1
03-17-2008, 06:40 AM
My band has a slight problem. We had been searching for a good guitarist to replace the bad one we got rid of a few weeks ago. We finally found this kid in the grade below us, and he's really good.

But this is where the porblem strikes. He KNOWS he's good, so whenever we play, he breaks out into ten minute solos, School of Rock style, and acts like... well, acts like Slash after too much smack. He's really starting to piss the sh*t out of us, especially me and the singer, because I used to play lead, but the first time we played, he overrode me and played lead himself, so I was relegated to play rythmn. This was bad, especially since I did the lazy thing and didn't practice the rythmn like I should.

We cant kick him out coz he's just too good to get rid of. He can learn a full song (intro to solo to bridge to outro... and improv as well) in half an hour and in an hour he can play it behind his head, with his feet, and his nuts on fire.

So yeah. Kick him out, try to shrink his head... What should I do?

Just lay down the dang law. And tas him when he gets out of hand hehe.

druz15_UG
03-17-2008, 06:44 AM
tell him to stop making solos.
or if he doesnt.. then tell him to get the f**k out of here.

thats my idea.
i am the Lead Guitarist in our band, and my solos are MAX 30 seconds.

Same... i mean i love to solo, but i know when it goes too far. Recordings, 30sec-1min, maybe up to 2min live, but tthats it

Taoistic_Beer
03-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Ever seen Crossroads, boy? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=VAC9mLQ16Ag)

Colohue
03-17-2008, 06:48 AM
If you leave somebody like that in the band sooner or later he will become the band.

Get him out.

leafy
03-17-2008, 06:49 AM
ive had the exact same problem
tell him (not in front of everyone else in the band) to pull his head in
but be prepared for him to take a while to stop doing ridiculous solos in practise

if he's really that good, then don't write him off just yet

Burning Star 4
03-17-2008, 06:58 AM
rape him

EDIT: if my plan doesn't work definantly try out leafy's it seems really good.

SlackerBabbath
03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Confront him as a band. (if only one person confronts him, he'll just think that that person has a problem with him, and that everyone else actualy likes him so much that it cannot possibly be him that's at fault)
Tell him that you are all concerned with his behaviour and tell him what exactly your problem is with his behaviour (it may help to get together with the other guys and make a list)
Then tell him that the reason he was allowed to join the band in the first place was because of his talent, then explain the importance of everyone getting along well in a band. Then tell him his annoying behaviour is slowly eating away at you all so much, that, talented as he is, he's putting himself in jepardy of losing his position.

dullsilver_mike
03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah, maybe he just hasn't figured out that extra long solos and jams sound absolutely boring and horrible to the average audience that isn't stoned into oblivion. Make him understand this little fact. If he's willing to change, you can play approachable universally enjoyable music, if not, drop him or start playing his style of music and limit yourselves to a much smaller fan base.

Or maybe he knows how to make good music live, but he gets really bored in practice. If that's the case, explain to him that you need him to play normal parts during practice so that everyone else can practice properly and "catch up with his level."

the-90s-kid
03-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Smash his guitar?

You have to be harsh and to the point sometimes xD

trey-col89
03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, maybe he just hasn't figured out that extra long solos and jams sound absolutely boring and horrible to the average audience that isn't stoned into oblivion. Make him understand this little fact. If he's willing to change, you can play approachable universally enjoyable music, if not, drop him or start playing his style of music and limit yourselves to a much smaller fan base.

Or maybe he knows how to make good music live, but he gets really bored in practice. If that's the case, explain to him that you need him to play normal parts during practice so that everyone else can practice properly and "catch up with his level."
Not true buddy. Theres a difference between a long guitar wank where all of the other instruments are relegated to root notes, and collective improvisation where all the members are contributing.

If the former describes you guys (thread starter), just sit him down say something like... "Look, you're very good and everyone here knows it, but showboating for 10 minutes while we just stand there and play root notes and power chords is not what we had in mind. Please tone it down." Simple as that, theres pleanty of good guitar players, this kid is just another fish in the sea, its a matter of finding the RIGHT guitar player.

Dunjma
03-18-2008, 04:00 AM
If the former describes you guys (thread starter), just sit him down say something like... "Look, you're very good and everyone here knows it, but showboating for 10 minutes while we just stand there and play root notes and power chords is not what we had in mind. Please tone it down." Simple as that, theres pleanty of good guitar players, this kid is just another fish in the sea, its a matter of finding the RIGHT guitar player.

thats right. just remember guitarists grow on trees. even good guitarists, though that is usually a more special kind of tree.

Archeo Avis
03-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Song comes first. Put him in his place and tell him to play the song properly or get out.

Zycho
03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Confront him as a band. If he doesn't shape up tell him he's out if he doesn't get his act together.

dullsilver_mike
03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Not true buddy. Theres a difference between a long guitar wank where all of the other instruments are relegated to root notes, and collective improvisation where all the members are contributing.

Hey, I clearly said "average audience" and universally approachable. I'm not saying you or I or other musicians, fans of jazz and jam rock, or a few other groups don't love it. But most audiences don't care for more than a few minutes a set of "collective improvisation," that's all I meant. Agree with you whole heartedly about the rootnote thing too, no member of a band should force the others into that.

smokin_joe
03-20-2008, 01:35 AM
Thanks for your tips everyone, but we ended up booting him, because not only did he not accept it when we told him as a band, he started telling everyone how to do their jobs, and trying to override my lead playing.

It just ended up being easier to boot him and get a friend of mine who started learning guitar a few months ago, and hes getting really good. I told him I hoped he found another band, but he told me to go f#ck myself. So thats the end of that, lol.

AwesomeDrummer
03-20-2008, 06:15 AM
i recommend against you saying something to him, because he probably wont listen and would say that your just jealous he replaced you as lead. get the singer/drummer to tell him

smokin_joe
03-20-2008, 06:19 AM
lol, thanks dude, but too late.

SlackerBabbath
03-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for your tips everyone, but we ended up booting him, because not only did he not accept it when we told him as a band, he started telling everyone how to do their jobs, and trying to override my lead playing.

It just ended up being easier to boot him and get a friend of mine who started learning guitar a few months ago, and hes getting really good. I told him I hoped he found another band, but he told me to go f#ck myself. So thats the end of that, lol.
:haha :haha
He sounds priceless!
I think you're probably well rid there mate.

Strati
03-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh I got the same situation, tbh. But for me it's a question of leaving the band or not >_<

I would probably kick him out.

smokin_joe
03-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Lmao!!

He played a solo act at the school talent show thingy, and him jumping around and stuff pulled his lead out, which surprised him, which made him drop his guitar (which he was holding behind his head). Its a Steve Vai ibanez. Neck snapped in two. Usually i'd feel sorry for him, but I only feel sorry for the guitar. It wasnt its fault hes a ****.

:-D
03-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Lmao!!

He played a solo act at the school talent show thingy, and him jumping around and stuff pulled his lead out, which surprised him, which made him drop his guitar (which he was holding behind his head). Its a Steve Vai ibanez. Neck snapped in two. Usually i'd feel sorry for him, but I only feel sorry for the guitar. It wasnt its fault hes a ****.

'tis karma. You'll be much better off without him, it was a good idea to boot him.

SlackerBabbath
03-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Lmao!!

I shouldn't really laugh at someone's misfortune but.....
Mwahahahahahah. :haha

Just imagine if he did that onstage with you guys, looks like you had a lucky escape.

RichieJovie
03-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Sounds like he has a small ego issue.

Bands are a team effort.

It isn't about having the best players it';s about having players that are all working for the same aim.

I recommend getting a good looking female to tell him that solos bore her and she'd thinks you are better.

That usually changes band members opinions pretty quickly.

barangatang
03-22-2008, 07:52 AM
show him some video of a guitarist that he really admires explaining the importance of not being a complete asshole.

Armagedn
03-22-2008, 05:28 PM
show him some video of a guitarist that he really admires explaining the importance of not being a complete asshole.
Victor Wooten's sort of like this. He is the most insane bassist ever, but he acts like he sucks.

smokin_joe
03-23-2008, 03:22 AM
I recommend getting a good looking female to tell him that solos bore her and she'd thinks you are better.

That usually changes band members opinions pretty quickly.

hahaha, I might do that. He's been lusting after one of my friends for a while, I might get her to tell him (in passing of course) that 'team player' guitarists are so much hotter than solo guys.

Victor Wooten's sort of like this. He is the most insane bassist ever, but he acts like he sucks.

I know, that guy goes ape **** on a bass.

master_ofmetal
03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Well this guy sounds like an ego maniac (not like the breakfast type but the attitude type). It was good idea to kick him out before it became a big problem. I dont thinf the idea with the girl would work because he probably spin it around to make it look like she was trying to find something wrong with him or something like that.

archerygenious
03-28-2008, 01:43 PM

Good on you! he sounded like such a bastard!