Time Seller
03-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Will it work? What do you think?

HUNYeti
03-18-2008, 10:53 AM
why not?

Time Seller
03-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Well, I've always relied on a drummer to drive the rhythm. Might be hard without one. But hey, I'll try. Lol.

chillbeast
03-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Possible, though, like you said it is nice to have drums too... you can do without it but you'll have to work on a pretty specific sound to make it work right.

Definitely would work if you get a drum machine or VSTi drums and made some beats... that's what I do when I work on my solo stuff. Most of my stuff is just bass & guitar + backing drums & synths

whosamerica
03-18-2008, 11:01 AM
people do it all the time.... they never go further than hometown gigs though.

Time Seller
03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
But that's the point. I won't get a drum track or a drum machine. I might as well get a drummer. I just wanna do guitar + bass +vocals without failing epically.

chillbeast
03-18-2008, 11:55 AM
But that's the point. I won't get a drum track or a drum machine. I might as well get a drummer. I just wanna do guitar + bass +vocals without failing epically.

Cool then, as long as your bass has solid rhythm you should be good. You are just gonna have to vary from the norm as far as what you are doing.....

Planning to do original stuff i assume? what style/styles?

Time Seller
03-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Well, yea. You don't find too many guitar+bass bands to cover.

I was in a band that broke up late last year. Then I started recording separately as a solo artiste. The thing is, my former bassist and I will be meeting up to record some stuff, and we both hate the idea of using a drum machine.

I used to do everything from blues-rock to atmospheric ambience to indie garage. I think the easiest thing to stick to would either be:
1. Garage tone guitar (Like Jack White from White Blood Cells) and pounding bass that replicates a bass drum. Plus some melodic riffs.
2. Atmospheric instrumentals. Which I'm getting quite sick of.

Any suggestions?

chillbeast
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Well I am an industrial/electronic fanatic so I'm always gonna say go for the more ambient/noise based sound.

Personally if I were to do something like this(which I am considering more and more now that I think about it) I'd prolly have at least 1 if not both members have an additional keyboard/synth and kind of flip flop between playing your bass or guitar and playing keys. Not sure if you would be down for that but I think you could really make some awesome sounds like this, with a lot more variation than just having guitar & bass with effects...

speaking of that... you will definitely want a bunch of effects to bring a lot of variety to your sound, unless you try to go real "acoustic" sounding...

just read again and saw you are tired of ambient stuff... can your bassist slap well? I think that might be the key to making it work well getting that percussive slap sound mixed in with some funky groove could give the effect of a kick-snare.. he's just gotta be able to pull that off and still provide enough bottom end to round out your guitar sound..

definitely gonna have to bust out some unorthodox techniques to pull it off, let me know if you come up with anything else

Time Seller
03-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I know the electronica path is the easiest and most diverse, but I'll see what we can do with just basic bass and guitar. We'll record using a Micro BR, there's a couple of odd effects in that little thing.

I wish I could have stuff like fuzz, compression and octave pedals, but I'm stuck with just a Roland Micro Cube. :(

Well, the problem with ambient songs are that they all sound fine and well, but tend to get a bit dreary after a while. Especially once you start writing 3 or 4 of those in a row. It makes you think, "Goddamit, is this the only thing I can do?"

Still trying to figure out how we can get this to work. Ah well.

GiantRaven
03-18-2008, 12:55 PM
It could work but I would suggest leaning more towards clean/acoustic songs

chillbeast
03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Yea I think if you want to keep it simple you are going to want to listen to alot of acoustic-ish stuff... folk, country, early blues etc.

Most of that is going to have drums too but there should be a good bit of songs that have minimal or no drums as well.

I'd say just get together and see what you come up with... you'll want to change up what you are playing quite often, going from guitar rhythm with a bass melody to bass rhythm and guitar melody, etc. Probably do a lot of "question - answer" type songs...

Good luck mate, I'm sure you'll make it work.. keep us updated

pandora_grunt
03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Too lazy to read all, but It woudl be easiest to make it work with acoustic songs.

Bass can add the depth and warmth0 needed, you can play rhythm also etc, etc. It can work easily.

Zycho
03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Me and my buddy like to do guitar + bass jams all the time. Works great, no reason it shouldn't for you.

Time Seller
03-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Good call, chillbeast.

As to Zycho, I don't have a problem with guitar + bass jams. My only concern is that we turn into purely a jam band. Trying to work out how we can play as many styles as possible without resorting to drums. Thanks for all the comments. :)

trey-col89
03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Flight Of The Concords baby

chillbeast
03-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Flight Of The Concords baby

They both play guitar from what I remember... and they have backing tracks alot...

but yea even when it's just them both playing guitar one is playing a bassline all the time pretty much, if nothing else it's a great show and good inspiration :)

Time Seller
03-20-2008, 02:43 AM
Sadly, never heard of them. We're meeting up to jam this Friday, hope it goes well.

dullsilver_mike
03-20-2008, 03:27 AM
I'm not a big slap bass guy, but that's another perfect approach, I mean slap bass is a largely percussive style of playing, it can easily keep a solid beat and fun groove going on at the same time.

Time Seller
03-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Could I slap guitar? I have no idea how. Seriously.

I like the suggestion of slap bass, though. Definitely would like a groovy, funky tone to our songs.

chillbeast
03-20-2008, 10:13 AM

I like the suggestion of slap bass, though. Definitely would like a groovy, funky tone to our songs.

Some people do it.. I think if you bust out the ol' search there was a thread with some decent tips on doing it.

Flight of the Conchords is a show on HBO, they have a lot of the songs up on youtube though.

trey-col89
03-20-2008, 12:10 PM
They both play guitar from what I remember... and they have backing tracks alot...

but yea even when it's just them both playing guitar one is playing a bassline all the time pretty much, if nothing else it's a great show and good inspiration :)
Jermaine normally plays the bass.

dullsilver_mike
03-20-2008, 12:21 PM

well I did mean the bass,not the guitar :rolleyes: even if you did play slap on the guitar it wouldn't have the boom and pop to stand in for a drum set like a bass would.

chillbeast
03-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Jermaine normally plays the bass.

Cool, I know I've seen em both playing guitar before as well and just couldn't remember ever seeing em on a bass

trey-col89
03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
If you watch the show the set up is usually Jermaine playing bass and Bret playing guitar... watch the show its hysterical.

Time Seller
03-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Well, we recorded two songs. They went fine. The jam session was pretty horrible, though. None of us felt like chugging out an endless rhythm so I just pretty much wanked on my guitar while my bassist spilled out some bass notes. Then he decided to have a bass solo too, so everything flew out of sync and descended into a garbled mash of notes.

Armagedn
03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Well, there's always bluegrass. You don't have to play it, but you can take some inspiration from it. There are no drums in bluegrass, it's strings only.

Time Seller
03-22-2008, 03:42 AM
I wish I had enough skills for bluegrass. :( And the bass will have to take a backseat for those songs. Will try it out though, thanks for the suggestion.

SlackerBabbath
03-22-2008, 05:54 AM
I've seen loads of folk music duos like this, not any rock acts though.

Time Seller
03-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Ah. Folk music. XD

Mr.Cuddles
03-23-2008, 06:19 PM
yah,
tell him no bass solos without a drumset because that'll be pretty br00tal(in a bad way)...

lolmnt
03-23-2008, 06:27 PM
You'll probably need drums at some point, depending on the genre. I can't really imagine anything in the rock genre (punk, metal, alternative, ect.) with out drums. You could do something like acoustic guitar and upright bass (which would be awesome).

It never hurts to try though.

Time Seller
03-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Ah, it's a difficult task, this.

SlackerBabbath
03-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Ah, it's a difficult task, this.
Nah, it's easy, just get a backing band to back up your duo. Hey, it worked for the Everly Brothers. :haha

Honestly though, the best thing I can tell you is that I started off in a bass/guitar duo that did rock songs. We did have a drum machine though, although it wasn't a fancy one that you could pre-program. You just set the beat and off it went, but it did have a foot pedal that allowed you to put 'fills' in. We played like that for quite a while before we got a drummer.
But I've also seen a guy on stage with a guitar who had a metal plate on the floor in front of him that was miced up to the PA that he tapped on with his foot, just to provide a very basic beat. I think he probably had a seg in his shoe as well by the sound of it.
The overall sound he got was huge though. His guitar sounded like it was going through some sort of an octave divider as well as distortion.

Time Seller
03-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Nah, it's easy, just get a backing band to back up your duo. Hey, it worked for the Everly Brothers. :haha

Honestly though, the best thing I can tell you is that I started off in a bass/guitar duo that did rock songs. We did have a drum machine though, although it wasn't a fancy one that you could pre-program. You just set the beat and off it went, but it did have a foot pedal that allowed you to put 'fills' in. We played like that for quite a while before we got a drummer.
But I've also seen a guy on stage with a guitar who had a metal plate on the floor in front of him that was miced up to the PA that he tapped on with his foot, just to provide a very basic beat. I think he probably had a seg in his shoe as well by the sound of it.
The overall sound he got was huge though. His guitar sounded like it was going through some sort of an octave divider as well as distortion.

We failed and got a drummer.

But anyway, we did record two songs with purely guitars and bass. They were pretty cool. I like the fact that there were all these timing quirks where the timing jumped all over the place because no one held it together. Interesting song, though.

Who is this guy?! :eek:

SlackerBabbath
03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
We failed and got a drummer.

But anyway, we did record two songs with purely guitars and bass. They were pretty cool. I like the fact that there were all these timing quirks where the timing jumped all over the place because no one held it together. Interesting song, though.
Well there's nothing to stop you doing one or both of those two songs without a drummer live, it could help to break the set up a bit and add a spot of variation.

Who is this guy?! :eek:
Honestly? I didn't really want to mention who it was because it wasn't really a serious piece, but have you ever heard of an English folk player and comedian called Mike Harding?
I went to see one of his shows once and during it, he decided to make fun of heavy metal. He put on a leather motorbike jacket and a viking helmet, picked up a Strat, and played some of the most unbelievable soloing you could imagine. Then he played a song called 'Big Motorbike' which is when the foot tapping thing came in.

Time Seller
03-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Well there's nothing to stop you doing one or both of those two songs without a drummer live, it could help to break the set up a bit and add a spot of variation.

Honestly? I didn't really want to mention who it was because it wasn't really a serious piece, but have you ever heard of an English folk player and comedian called Mike Harding?
I went to see one of his shows once and during it, he decided to make fun of heavy metal. He put on a leather motorbike jacket and a viking helmet, picked up a Strat, and played some of the most unbelievable soloing you could imagine. Then he played a song called 'Big Motorbike' which is when the foot tapping thing came in.

Ah. No idea who he is, sadly. Folk player + viking helmet + soloing + foot tapping. WTF!

:eek:

SlackerBabbath
03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Ah. No idea who he is, sadly. Folk player + viking helmet + soloing + foot tapping. WTF!

:eek:
Yeah, I know, sounds weird doesn't it. That's why I didn't really wanna mention him. But the guy is a VERY talented musician, who can play guitars, harps and any number of strung instruments.

Time Seller
03-26-2008, 04:21 AM
I'll take your word for it, then. Got any vids/tracks of him?

SlackerBabbath
03-26-2008, 05:54 AM
I'll take your word for it, then. Got any vids/tracks of him?

Not personaly, but this is his Wikipedia page which has links to his web site, biography and also contains a discography and bibliography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Harding

Time Seller
03-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Awesome. Will check it out, mate. Thanks.