How many guitars are you gigging with?

PDA

View Full Version : How many guitars are you gigging with?

ChrisHolmes
03-18-2008, 05:15 PM
I recently joined a cover band. As we continue to add songs to our set list, I'm discovering that more and more music we want to do requires odd tunings. I'm rapidly running out of guitars to handle all of these tunings.

I'm wondering how many guitars folks are gigging with, especially those of you who are covering more contemporary rock (which seems to be where the bulk of the odd tunings is coming from).

-Chris

Sonicxlover
03-18-2008, 05:37 PM
I usually just take one, seeing as most are one or two song sets. For larger gigs I would bring one plus a backup.

bobeatsbob
03-18-2008, 05:58 PM
2-3, Depends on where i'm playing though. Use my main guitar most but use a tele for open g tunings, a strat's used as a back up for both myself and the other guitarist.

CtrlAltDel
03-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Two acoustics for me, I don't usually play songs that require distortion. A Takamine EF360SC and a crappy Yamaha backup.

RentACar
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
One, and sometimes an acoustic for backup.

blacklabelsdmf
03-18-2008, 09:10 PM
1) Epiphone Les Paul. E standard, tune to drop D when necessary on stage. EMG in the bridge. used for stoner rock/sludge songs

2) Dean ML. E standard, tune to drop D when necessary on stage. Seymour Duncan SH-13 in bridge. used for high destortion songs

thebroken
03-18-2008, 09:51 PM
I usually only take my American Deluxe Strat. But I don't gig often, and my other guitars just don't compare to my strat. Oh, and I don't use many tunings.

Ventor
03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I have 2 and take 2. I have a 6-string and a 7 string.
I use the 7 string when i need to solo on the 7th string, if not i use my 6 string, which plays better overall :)

Gurgle!Argh!
03-19-2008, 12:43 PM
i have two, partly for different sounds (though it isn't a problem really for me using either one for any song) but also in case of broken strings. i play hard.

GiantRaven
03-19-2008, 01:25 PM
I think the two guitarists in my band each have two guitars they tend to bring

Symmetry4321
03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I only bring one cos i only have one atm, but if i had the option i would have 3 guitars
One in Standard (drop d when neccesary)
One in eb (Drop C# when neccesary)
One in Standard D (Drop C when neccesary)

dissident52
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I keep my Les Paul custom in E standard, and my Carvin Bolt-T in E Flat. But it's frustrating as we have less songs in E Flat and I like my Carvin more, plus we cover Would?, which is in E Flat and uses the trem. Hopefully this will be solved after summer, once I build myself another guitar.

Philbigtime
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
The one and only time I brought one guitar to a gig, I broke a string. Go figure. If that happens when you have two guitars, I try to get a buddy in the audience who knows what he/she is doing to restring the other guitar. Works like a charm.

Generic User
03-19-2008, 05:11 PM
I only use one guitar, my Epiphone. Our setlist is mainly standard, but the last three/four songs are drop D. I just retune real quick!

scguitarking927
03-19-2008, 07:12 PM
i only bring three,

one with standard tuning
one in drop D
and then one back up in standard

yogurt_overdose
03-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I only take an acoustic and an electric. I've been pretty lucky with string breakages; the only time I've broken a string was on our last song before we took a break, so I had time to restring during the break :p:

Slaytanic1993
03-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Three.

Ibanez RG7321: 7-string Standard-D
Stealth: Standard-E or Drop-D, Eb
Ibanez RG321: Standard C# or drop B

axemanchris
03-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Usually two. Never less if I can help it.

One = main axe.
Second = drop-D; can quickly be tuned back up to E if I bust a string. Or I refret everthing using the drop-D tuning for the rest of the song if need be, and then retune.

CT

af_the_fragile
03-19-2008, 10:25 PM
My ideal would be atleast 3.
A standard/drop D tuned Gibson LP
A standard tuned Fender Telecaster
and A drop C tuned heavy sounding guitar. Probably another Gibson LP or an ESP eclipse.
and probably add an acoustic just in case!

But as i don't have the money for all of that, i'ld stick to the one guitar i've got and keep away from drop C tunings!

Freunleven
03-19-2008, 10:27 PM
I've got three guitars that I use:

1) Gibson SG, tuned 1/2 step down.
2) Dean Vendetta with Seymour Duncan pickups installed, tuned to Drop D.
3) Schecter C-7, tuned standard (BEADGBE).

Then our bassist has three basses:

1) Ibanez something or other, four string, passive pickups, in Drop D.
2) Another Ibanez thing, four string, active pickups, tuned 1/2 step down.
3) He uses my OLP MusicMan 5-string, tuned standard (BEADG).

We don't do Drop-C or Drop-B songs - that's what we have the 7-string and 5-string for.

:satan:

Tomaz24
03-20-2008, 04:21 AM
I use my American Deluxe Strat and then usually bring a Vintage VRS100 for backup. I would take my Squire Seven String because, being a strat, it suits my band's style better, but it's really damn heavy.

RichieJovie
03-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Fender USA Deluxe Strat with S1
Gibson Les Paul 1960 Classic
Parker Fly
Parker Nitefly M
Custom 6/12 Acoustic double neck.

That is my current live array of guitars.

smokin_joe
03-20-2008, 06:11 AM
PRS 513 Rosewood
Ibanez RG321MH (with EMGs and Edge Zero)
Gretsch White Falcon
Ibanez RG1520G
PRS Paul Allender Signature

I use the gretsch and 513 for solo performances and my blues band, and everything else for my metal band.

hmmm_de_hum
03-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Halo 8 in standard sometimes with a dropped D if i need it
Ibby 7 stays in standard as that is what majority of our material is in.

What_is_my_name
03-20-2008, 01:58 PM
I have 3: I use my 1/2 step down mostly because my band is like Guns N Roses.

- Gibson LP Goldtop Standard - 1/2 Step Down (Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pros)

- Gibson SG Ebony Standard - Standard (This guitar was my new gift from my cousin Sam)

- Fender Red Standard Stratocaster - Drop "D"

skagitup
03-20-2008, 07:18 PM
I take five:

Acoustic
12-String Acoustic
Telecaster in Standard
SG, whole step down.
Squier in Standard, backup.

They all fit in easy to the car and aren't really trouble to take so why not be prepared?

JagStang5246
03-21-2008, 01:41 AM
I have two. We only play in D Standard, but the squire is a back up to my Ibanez. I want to eliminate the squire from the whole thing though. It just isn't gig ready. the ibanez will become my back up once I get another (Nicer) guitar. Hopefully a jackson or LTD. Oh yea.

Sweetbabyjezuz
03-21-2008, 08:19 AM

6 String - C Standard - Carvin DC400 - Majority of our songs.
6 String - C Standard - Gibson Explorer Pro - Backup (quick switch if string breaks/some horrible goes wrong)
7 String - B Standard - Carvin 727c - Our final few songs

axemanchris
03-21-2008, 08:46 AM
It's funny how everyone is making sure we all know what guitars they have - manufacturer, model, colour....

Just a funny observation. haha

CT

I_Pwn
03-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I bring one. Fuck alternate tunings!

axemanchris
03-21-2008, 12:37 PM
I bring one. Fuck alternate tunings!

... and if I break a string, I just tough it out for the whole rest of the gig. :p:

CT

JLT73
03-22-2008, 11:15 PM
I bring 2

HethaHORRIFIC
03-23-2008, 04:50 AM
i for playing,
one for playing, when string spaps on first.

SlackerBabbath
03-23-2008, 05:22 AM
Our guitarist takes 2 Gibson SGs, one of them drop tuned.

godisasniper
03-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Main axe (epi LP) tuned E standard / Drop D.
2nd guitar (harmony) tuned drop C for SOAD mostly, though one or two origionals use it.

I don't play rough or use a trem, so I don't have much string breakage problems. The only one I run into is the high E on my epi...and I've taken care to learn how to play all parts that would be affected if that breaks some other way, so I can finish a song if it breaks. Then I can just use the Harmony and play the rest of that, if I can't borrow an axe from someone else.

Jack_hertz92
03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Well if i play in my soul band: Telecaster is Main
SG is backup
When in rock band: SG
Telecaster is backup

VIRUSDETECTED
03-25-2008, 01:54 AM
One guitar, because I'm known for my rants, so I can do one of them and tune at the same time.

Sid McCall
03-25-2008, 03:32 AM
We bring 3 guitars for two guitarists, and one bass for me. Each guitarist has their main guitar, and we throw my Tele in with everything else in case either of them needs a backup. We have a few songs in Drop D that they retune while I entertain the crowd. I'll be installing a hipshot on my bass soon, so I can spend more time talking and BSing while they retune.

rocknskate4
03-26-2008, 03:21 PM
usually 5--our sets are usually 1 hourish and we have a bunch of tunes in different tunings. Well keep the same guitar for eb to drop db or standard to drop d tho.

SlackerBabbath
03-27-2008, 12:34 PM
It's funny how everyone is making sure we all know what guitars they have - manufacturer, model, colour....

Just a funny observation. haha

CT
Yeah, I noticed that too, but it's interesting.
Some people have different guitars to get different sounds or they have them set up for different tunings, but some have more than one guitar just so that they have a spare, and what interests me is what some people take as a spare. Quite often it will be something totaly different from their main guitar, like Jack_hertz92 for example with his Telecaster and SG.
But it's also interesting to see what people are choosing as spare guitars that although they are completely different makes and models, would sound very similar to their main guitar.

ice09
03-29-2008, 07:15 PM
About 1-2, which are usually a Gibson les paul studio, and a Ibanez Jem

Jason Bodson
03-29-2008, 08:03 PM
2, a Les Paul-style Fernandez & a Washburn acoustic, 'cause some songs sound better acoustic...

If I break a string, I just finish the song & take a break to fix it :)

captain_jack
03-30-2008, 11:05 AM
I only take one, my Schecter C-1 plus. My band plays everything in drop D, so retuning isn't a problem, and I almost never break strings(even though I play really rough). Usually our lead guitarist brings his Fender strat as a backup, so if I was to break a string I'd use that 'till my Dad (or someone else there who plays guitar) could change it.

skater dan0
03-30-2008, 11:06 AM
at the moment just the one, my jazz bass, as of next week 2 with the addition of another jazz bass

Bradexman
03-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Well I take 15 minuites out of every show to try and promote my new music type: Loudcore. I play 5 guitars all set up on stands during it. Then I also have 2 acoustics that I keep backstage if I need to play them.

Shadr Rizzo
03-31-2008, 02:58 AM
6 Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Custom Zakk Wylde (C standard) 11-70
Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst (Drop C) 11-70
Gibson Flying V Cherry (D standard) 11-54
Gibson Explorer Classic White (standard) 10-52
Dean Hard Tail Select Trans Purple (Drop D) 11-50
Jackson Soloist Flame Top Red (Drop D) 11-50

Capos are good for the purpose of changing tunings quickly, try the Greg Bennett Glider capo, it attaches around the neck and can be moved by rolling it to different frets and when you want to play the guitar open, just roll it to the nut of the guitar.

Unherolike
03-31-2008, 03:16 AM
I take 2 My Bc Rich Warlock drop d tuned and a crappy Yamaha (Strat mimic) also tuned to d incase the strings on the Warlock break. My band always plays with a nother band and they usually have a couple backups.

Sonic Blast
03-31-2008, 10:51 AM
I just bring my hotrodded Epi SG. and if i have trouble, I have friends that gig with us that have guitars i can use if i need to.

AdamDK
03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Considering all my bands gigs have been at school, I only bring one as there school has back-ups. However if we start to gig outside school, I'll bring a back-up.

Retro Rocker
03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
6 Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Custom Zakk Wylde (C standard) 11-70
Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst (Drop C) 11-70
Gibson Flying V Cherry (D standard) 11-54
Gibson Explorer Classic White (standard) 10-52
Dean Hard Tail Select Trans Purple (Drop D) 11-50
Jackson Soloist Flame Top Red (Drop D) 11-50

Capos are good for the purpose of changing tunings quickly, try the Greg Bennett Glider capo, it attaches around the neck and can be moved by rolling it to different frets and when you want to play the guitar open, just roll it to the nut of the guitar.
Pics. Mainly of that Jackson. I heart Jacksons.

Womage
03-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Two at the moment, My Strat as my main Guitar and an Epi Les Paul tuned drop D or standard depending on what we're playing.

guitarman6486
06-23-2008, 10:25 PM
i bring about 2 and it could never hurt to bring a back up amp (maybe a small) unless you getting rocking too hard and get the balls to CRANK IT UP!!! no time for repairs in a show lol

guitarman6486
06-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I only take one, my Schecter C-1 plus. My band plays everything in drop D, so retuning isn't a problem, and I almost never break strings(even though I play really rough). Usually our lead guitarist brings his Fender strat as a backup, so if I was to break a string I'd use that 'till my Dad (or someone else there who plays guitar) could change it.

what you cant change a string?

Retribution
06-23-2008, 10:33 PM
what you cant change a string?

Why waste your set time changing a string?

You said yourself, "No time for repairs during a show." ;)

Roxor_Mc0wnage
06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
1 in D standard (Schecter Exotic Star)
1 in E standard (Strat)
1 Acoustic in D or E Standard/Drop D (depending on set) (Takamine EAN10C)
1 Acoustic in E Standard (Takamine EF340)

I'd like to have 1 more guitar ideally on the electric front because playing lead I think makes me a little more susceptible to string breakage. Though I use Dean Markley Blue Steel's and I have never broken a string ever while playing or practicing or tuning since I started using them, and I give em a pretty thorough SRV type thrashing. I also play heavy gauges so that may be why. I cant imagine playing without a backup handy...

Also we have a guitar tech/roadie that travels with us and he pretty much takes care of things if strings break or jacks or cables give out or amps blow up (yes all of those things have happened).

Kid_Thorazine
06-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Gibson SG (main guitar)
Epihone strat copy from the 80's (for a few songs that are all clean)
Epi G-400 soon (hopefully) to be replaced with a Gibson SG (backup guitar)
Ovation Acoustic (in case of power failure, or acoustic version of a song, also works as last ditch backup for strat copy)

I usually bring my bass as well.

Everythings tuned to eb, if we play a cover that was written in standard or in a lower tuning we play it in eb tuning anyway, most people won't notice unless it was originally a death metal song written for G standard or something.

For any drop tunings or other weird tunings like that I just use my pedal tuner and tune onstage, or get the gimp to do it.

messiah01
06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I usually bring 2 guitars with me. For my last gig, I brought

Fender 52' Reissue Tele - Standard tuning
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Back up and my bass player would use it for the killswitch solo on "Bulls On Parade"

My two previous gigs, I brought

Fender MIM Standard Strat - Standard Tuning (Drop D when Necessary)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Back up

I at my upcoming gig, I think I'm going to bring all 3, just to see what I like better.

Souls United
06-25-2008, 09:50 PM
I recently joined a cover band. As we continue to add songs to our set list, I'm discovering that more and more music we want to do requires odd tunings. I'm rapidly running out of guitars to handle all of these tunings.

I'm wondering how many guitars folks are gigging with, especially those of you who are covering more contemporary rock (which seems to be where the bulk of the odd tunings is coming from).

-Chris
I use 3.

I have my SG (main guitar), my Ovation Acoustic-Electric (main acoustic guitar), and my Epiphone Special II (for use in extreme emergencies because its not that great).

But, we try to only do songs in Standard E, or drop D