Girls in a band

PDA

View Full Version : Girls in a band

The Con
03-18-2008, 05:32 PM
This is a question for males who belong to all-male bands.

If you needed a new bandmember, and a female auditioned for your band, and she was excellent, would you consider her for the position?

Why or why not? Would you only accept her if she was auditioning for a certain position?

rageagainst64
03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
not for vocals, but if she could kick the **** outta drums, bass, guitar or keys, sure.

dylanfromearth
i am not in an all male band but i breaks rules, and i used to be in a band with a girl drummer and it reallly doesn't matter if you are a girl, if you are good. ( quite possibly could add uniqueness)

impeachpedro10
yah. almost just cause shes a girl. unless it was grindcore and she was planning on doing vocals......

it would separate you from almost every other band out there.

Vampire 255
03-18-2008, 05:40 PM
well if she is good take her

just dont have 2 girls in ur band u never get anything done trust me my bands has that problem

Mettliccaa
Well if they were good maybe. But if it's possible a relationship can develop I'd say not because it could tear apart the whole band.

crazymanbigman
YES !! Damn right :)

There should be more ladies Making music :)
:peace:

Sonicxlover
03-18-2008, 05:41 PM
yah. almost just cause shes a girl. unless it was grindcore and she was planning on doing vocals......

Look at Arch Enemy.

rock_and_blues
03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
I say no, and here's why. While I admit that if the girl was good enough she would be an excellent addition, however whenever you deal with the opposite sex there is always going to be some kind of attraction between the girl and one or more male members of the band. This would completely rip a band in two. So in the long run the cons outweigh the pros in my opinon

Archeo Avis
03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
If you needed a new bandmember, and a female auditioned for your band, and she was excellent, would you consider her for the position?

Why wouldn't I?

The Con
03-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Why wouldn't I?
Maybe you'd feel how rock_and_blues feels about a female being in a predominantly male band. That's why I'm asking.

bobeatsbob
03-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Probably not as i rarely like female vocals for some reason. If she sounded perfect and not like a stereotypical female voice then i guess yes as long as she was cool n' could get along with rest of us. Some girls look weird playing guitar or bass though so she'd have to have suit the instrument she was playing but i'd think the same with any possible male member (very vein i know but just my opinion). She'd also have to have similar music taste to the rest of us.

I think everything i just said could apply to any one wanting to join my band though. Saying that in my area at the moment and the lack of talent in my band i guess i'd probably take just about anyone regardless of gender or their appearence...

Archeo Avis
03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I say no, and here's why. While I admit that if the girl was good enough she would be an excellent addition, however whenever you deal with the opposite sex there is always going to be some kind of attraction between the girl and one or more male members of the band. This would completely rip a band in two. So in the long run the cons outweigh the pros in my opinon

A band is a business (yes, it is), and as long as you have set standards for the behavior of the members, there should be no problems. If what you say is true, businesses across the country would be falling apart due to sexual tension.

SlackerBabbath
03-18-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm in an all male band, but I've worked with women in bands too in the past without any problems.
The only problem I've ever really seen with having both men and women in bands is that occasionaly, personal relationships can start between band members, and then when they split up, it really f*cks the band up.
But if people can stay away from personal relationships within the band, (and this goes for both gays and lesbians too) that's not really a problem.

z4twenny
03-18-2008, 06:35 PM
if she can play good or sing well (regardless of the style of music, personally to me a chick that can scream good is the s3x) then hell yeah. why limit yourself ?

af_the_fragile
03-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes for everything but the vocals.
That position belongs to me!!! XD

But i'ld also have a strict rule of no internal relationships in the band.
We'ld all hafta be like brothers and sisters.

And more than 1 girl in a 4pc band would become a little too much for me... Maybe 2 girls...
But i can't see myself being the only guy in an all girl band!

Damascus
03-18-2008, 10:40 PM
But i can't see myself being the only guy in an all girl band!

Yeah, getting the undivided attention of 100% of the straight female groupies after a gig would be so tiresome.

lolmnt
03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
If they are creative and talented, why not?

The Arch Enemy
03-18-2008, 11:29 PM
No, Becuase everyone is going to label you the band with a female whatever and all the attention is going towards her.When we are on tour you can do stuff with a girl in the band then a all guy band.

Yes, I know my name is going to make this ironic...

Hair Banger!
03-18-2008, 11:42 PM
If she's talented, then why not? Of course, no kind of personal relationships could evolve, though. It does seem likely that a male band member would be attracted to the female, so yes, it could cause a problem. I'd go for it, but if I saw anything personal going on, then I'd tell one of them to hit the road. If it became to personal, I'd tell them both to leave, get a room, and never come back.

garrett5
03-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Yeah, chicks in bands are cool.

the_poison125
03-19-2008, 01:42 AM
If she was the sister or girlfreind of one of the band mates then i wouldnt...

The last thing you want is dating issues to become more important than the band

Time Seller
03-19-2008, 01:51 AM
If she's Hayley Williams, yes

af_the_fragile
03-19-2008, 02:04 AM
Yeah, getting the undivided attention of 100% of the straight female groupies after a gig would be so tiresome.
Nah, they'ld just be too much estrogen to deal with...!

AngusX
03-19-2008, 02:24 AM
Yep, done it before, and I'd do it again. My girlfriend is actually singing for an all-male band right now.

I don't know why people are so worried about who they have in their band. I'm all for taking whoever sounds good to me, regardless of what they are (unless they are like a mongoloid or something, then I'd take them even if they didn't sound that good).

dkm
03-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Bass guitar? hell yeah. i dunno why but that just strikes me as awesome. Backup vocals? sure. lead vocals kinda sets the mood for the whole band... itd suck having an awesome rock song turn hannah montana. unless she was more like... that chick from waynes world. drums? drums seem too masculine, thatd just be wierd. rythm guitar and lead guitar are inbetween, dont really care.

Kivarenn82
03-19-2008, 03:22 AM
sure.. as long as the person can play the material and contribute to writing new material.. the sex, colour, whatever doesn't matter.

pandora_grunt
03-19-2008, 04:32 AM
I laugh at the people that use the attraction part as an argument, completely ignoring the fact op male territorial feelings. They're there to you you know?

Anyway I'm with Archeo on this one. A set of standards is all you need.

Wiirdo
03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I think it's bad to have a female vocalist,because if she's a girl the rest of the band will take a back seat. Look at Paramore, and Evanescance. Having something like a female bassist wouldn't be too bad though.

ChrisN
03-19-2008, 10:53 AM
As someone has already said... as long as it's not for any kind of vocal duties, yes. Without a doubt.

sanchezero
03-19-2008, 11:15 AM
i'm all for female vox. osme of my favorite bands have girls up front.

paramore, flyleaf and otep for example.

then look at bands where the vocals are shared like lacuna coil or shiny toy guns. it gives alot of tonal range.

plus, be honest, a hot chick in the band can totally increase the bands marketability.

and finally, if you get a bit bent outta shape, you can always bang her and break up the band...

af_the_fragile
03-19-2008, 11:24 AM
^I'ld like to do an electronic project with a female vocalist.
Do something like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Frou Frou, Garbage and all....

And i love Yeah Yeah Yeahs!
I wouldn't mind having a female vocalist if i was in an indie-punk band.
But as i'm more punk/post-hardcore/rock/metal, and i'm the vocalist, there's no place for a female vocalist in my band. Atleast not my main band.

GiantRaven
03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Yes. For any position.

I'm not a stupid sexist fool.

Gurgle!Argh!
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM

www.myspace.com/rolotomassi

chillbeast
03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
sure why not, as long as the aforementioned issues(relationships or whatever) don't become a problem i'm all for having any gender/race/religion/etc in my band

Retro Rocker
03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm considering whether or not to plough the singer in my band. I doubt it would cause any problems.

My life is full of hard choices.

Damascus
03-19-2008, 01:49 PM
I think it's bad to have a female vocalist,because if she's a girl the rest of the band will take a back seat. Look at Paramore, and Evanescance. Having something like a female bassist wouldn't be too bad though.

I swear there was a similar thread about 2 weeks ago and someone said almost exactly the same thing. I'm not going to make the same (long) list that I did then - the bottom line is, if your band is percieved as the backing outfit of a female lead singer, then you are to blame, not her.

You. Your lack of talent and creativity puts you in the shadows. Not her.

chillbeast
03-19-2008, 01:51 PM
I swear there was a similar thread about 2 weeks ago and someone said almost exactly the same thing. I'm not going to make the same (long) list that I did then - the bottom line is, if your band is percieved as the backing outfit of a female lead singer, then you are to blame, not her.

+1000

and really if she is a good frontwoman, and you are playing hella gigs...who cares? If you are a badass guitarist or whatever you will still shine

af_the_fragile
03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
^Like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, they rock in their own awesome way!

Symmetry4321
03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
How good is she?

If she is worth her salt and your best option, take her in, whatever the position

Wiirdo
03-19-2008, 06:27 PM

Of course. I agree 100%. It's just a lot of bands that are are simply mediocre have a female vocalist simply to try and stand out.

Freunleven
03-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Yes, I would. As for the "why," look no further than Tal Wilkenfeld.

nt1440
03-19-2008, 10:26 PM
no offense, but if shes excellent as you stated, then how does it matter at all what gender she is?

litus
03-19-2008, 10:44 PM
yeah but only if she is good
but most singer chicks have like really thin girly voices

metalanarchist
03-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Depends on who the chick is. If the band can't get along with her, I'd kick her out like any other band member.

rg321mh
03-20-2008, 07:24 AM
If The band was just for fun, I would but If the band wanted to be growing up as a professional band , Then I wouldn't

maybe it could be just a bias but I cannot help myself but admit that It would be really tough to grow up as a professional band if there are any girls in the band

Damascus
03-20-2008, 09:49 AM
If [t]he band was just for fun, I would[,] but [i]f the band wanted to be growing up as a professional ban[ ], [t]hen I wouldn't[.]

[M]aybe it could be just a bias[,] but I cannot help myself [sic] but admit that [i]t would be really tough to grow up as a professional band if there are any girls in the band[.]

...why?

Peaceful Rocker
03-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Not on the vocals.

Junior#1
03-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I would at least give her a chance to prove herself in a live gig with us. There's a big difference between performing in front of 5 people and performing in front of 500 (or 50000 if we get big). I actually have a girl that is going to be taking over the vocals for my band in the summer.

trey-col89
03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Alright well I'm going to say it, I don't really care... I wouldn't really want to work with a woman in most situations. In certain circumstances, whatever, Donna Jean Godchxeu anyone? Not a big deal... but if she is lead vox and the rest of the band (all men) don't sing, I don't care how good or bad the band is, the girl WILL get all of the attention simply cause she has tits, its just a fact. Uh oh, I'm a sexist pig! Plus, women just cause trouble and aren't good for anything, except vagina.

trey-col89
03-20-2008, 12:25 PM
...why?
Dude, are you his english teacher? Its just a message board.

Taoistic_Beer
03-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Yes, I would have a girl in the band.
Yes, we do have a girl in the band.
Yes, she does play the bass.
Yes, she's not a teetotaler.

She fits in just nicely.

Ktool The Girth
03-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Im in 2 bands with girl singers right now. One of them the guitarist started dating her and as soon as they break up(which looks like soon), we are going to need a new one, which he will probably end up dating or scaring off.

The other band is great though. Its just us 4 of us. Myself, the singer/bassist, drummer, and pianist. The singer and drummer are brother/sister and the pianist is gay, so it works out just fine.

managarm
03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah sure provided she could play and write music and out play any of the others

smokin_joe
03-21-2008, 04:38 AM

Dude, have you heard Arch Enemy?

Avedas
03-21-2008, 04:58 AM
yeah but only if she is good
but most singer chicks have like really thin girly voices

To add:

Maybe it's just me, but I find female voices to have less dynamics than guys. Sure, they can do operatic voices, powerful voices, and nice cleans. Just look at Nightwish. Tarja and Anette have different styles, but it just furthers the example. Girls can do (some) gutturals. Arch Enemy is the predominant example in this department.

Anyways, I'm sure you all know. I don't need to add to that.

However, I find guys' voices to be a bit more dynamic in most cases. Some can do any range; even highs. Look at King Diamond, Geddy Lee. A lot of the older metal guys from bands like Hammerfall, Edguy, Helloween, Iron Maiden. I really like Steve Wilson's voice from Porcupine Tree. His vocals have their own tone, with a bit of an accent thrown in. Again, there's no need to expand on examples. There's heavier singing, defined cleans, death growls, etc etc. I just find male voices can do a lot more than female voices.

Singer chicks really do have girls voices, and many of them can't go any farther than that.

david_john
03-21-2008, 11:11 AM
man, of course!! and if she's pretty and sexy! if ya'll know what i mean;)

david_john
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
lol!!! *doh*

mrwaffles
03-21-2008, 11:29 AM
I do actually have a female singer for one of my bands. In fact, it's just me and her. Still looking around for the rest of the band...:( In my eyes, gender does not matter. :)

Damascus
03-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Dude, are you his english teacher? Its just a message board.

I tend to get over-corrective of terrible spelling and grammar (and his was terrible) when the post is also stupid.

You hold and similarly ridiculous position. Nothing should ever have anything to do with the gender of any of the band members. Ever. Period.

Every example of 'some band' with a femlae vocalist that got all the attention or split the group up is not the fault of the vocalist being female. It's the fault of the character of her and the rest of the band, or lack of creative talent on the part of the rest of the band.

Like I said, there's a lot of examples of bands who easily got past the silly conception of female singers, but for just one, have a look at Jefferson Airplane. Marty Balin, the other, generally secondary, vocalist wrote tons of material, dominating early band songwriting and his compositions are lauded as beuatiful folky rock. Jorma Jorma Kaukonen is regarded as one of the best guitarists of all time - his composition 'Embryonic Journey' is a famous example of fingerpicking virtuosity. Paul Katner, the rhythm guitarist, similarly composed vast reams of material, writing virtually all of the mid-transition-period Airplane stuff. Jack Cassady is regarded as one of the greatest classic rock bassists...go look at his playing on White Rabbit...

Most of you probably know this anyway, so I'm sorry to go on, I'm just stressing how little the attention female vocalists has to do with anything inherent in their gender - a lot of idiots will fancy them if they're half-way hot, but people who appreciate music in any way, shape or form will only latch onto a female lead vocalist if your lack of talent and creativity allows them to.

Kear Bear
03-21-2008, 04:32 PM
there've been a couple of songs ive wrote where i was like "this could use a cello" (they were acoustic songs) and girls seem to have more interests in string instruments like that. as for vocals , probably not.

trey-col89
03-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I tend to get over-corrective of terrible spelling and grammar (and his was terrible) when the post is also stupid.

You hold and similarly ridiculous position. Nothing should ever have anything to do with the gender of any of the band members. Ever. Period.

Every example of 'some band' with a femlae vocalist that got all the attention or split the group up is not the fault of the vocalist being female. It's the fault of the character of her and the rest of the band, or lack of creative talent on the part of the rest of the band.

Like I said, there's a lot of examples of bands who easily got past the silly conception of female singers, but for just one, have a look at Jefferson Airplane. Marty Balin, the other, generally secondary, vocalist wrote tons of material, dominating early band songwriting and his compositions are lauded as beuatiful folky rock. Jorma Jorma Kaukonen is regarded as one of the best guitarists of all time - his composition 'Embryonic Journey' is a famous example of fingerpicking virtuosity. Paul Katner, the rhythm guitarist, similarly composed vast reams of material, writing virtually all of the mid-transition-period Airplane stuff. Jack Cassady is regarded as one of the greatest classic rock bassists...go look at his playing on White Rabbit...

Most of you probably know this anyway, so I'm sorry to go on, I'm just stressing how little the attention female vocalists has to do with anything inherent in their gender - a lot of idiots will fancy them if they're half-way hot, but people who appreciate music in any way, shape or form will only latch onto a female lead vocalist if your lack of talent and creativity allows them to.
I'm not denying what you're saying man, I completely understand. However, your example of the Airplane is irrelevant. That was a COMPLETELY different time in music and it was acceptable for a female to be the lead vocalist of a predominantly male band. Things are different now. Theres way more emphasis on the "Oh look... a girl is singing for this band, shes pretty hot/not hot" thats honestly what goes through most people's heads regardless if the guitarist can shred or not, I've seen it and experienced it.

On a side note as well, another reason I don't really have any desire to work with females is because when you're in a band with your mates, its a lot of fun and games. You can dick around and do whatever and be comfortable and happy, but once the girl enters the picture its just a little bit awkward all the time. And also the relationship thing, but thats been said.

Damascus
03-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm not denying what you're saying man, I completely understand. However, your example of the Airplane is irrelevant. That was a COMPLETELY different time in music and it was acceptable for a female to be the lead vocalist of a predominantly male band.

Are you seriously suggesting that we live in a less permissive age now than we did 40 years ago?

On a side note as well, another reason I don't really have any desire to work with females is because when you're in a band with your mates, its a lot of fun and games. You can dick around and do whatever and be comfortable and happy, but once the girl enters the picture its just a little bit awkward all the time. And also the relationship thing, but thats been said.

So it's her fault that you can't be comfortable around women the same way you are comfortable around men?

Look, I've said my piece and it's quite clear to anyone who looks at any of these situations that it is not because the lead vocalists or whoever is female - that's an excuse, not a reason. I don't want to argue any more about this. It is your fault, not the fact that they have tits.

GiantRaven
03-21-2008, 07:11 PM

What?! O.o

I dick around with girls all the time...

Dimster Ds
03-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Not for vocals

But if she is awesome for what she does, then yes

SlackerBabbath
03-22-2008, 06:23 AM
It seems strange that a lot of the people on here that have a problem with female vocalists have a problem with image and how much of the spotlight a female vocalist would take more than anything else.
But seeing as how most lead vocalists are the front person for the band, isn't it their job to have a lot of the spotlight?
How shallow is it to say that you don't want the audience to be looking at the singer when they should be watching ME ME ME?
This is a business folks, individual members should be picked for what they bring to a band. First and formost the most important factor should be musical ability, and if you have a member, whether they are male or female who happens to be good looking and attracts attention for it, all the better.
This business, on a gigging level, is all about selling tickets. If a member of your band helps to sell tickets from their looks, and also brings genuine musical talent to the band, then that's surely a good thing.

Jack_hertz92
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Should it matter, male or female? It's only about fun, and if there good enough why not?

maggot9779
03-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I voted Yes

Mainly because i've got nothing against girls in bands, my own band had a girl for a bassist but she quit lol.

The only thing i'm not too keen on are girls vocals, there are a few bands that have made it work but most of the time I don't like it. Nothing to do with image, its the music. Personal opinion.

I wouldn't say No so a girl in the band unless she was REALLY bad at whatever we had her do, but that goes for anyone, male or female.

trey-col89
03-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Are you seriously suggesting that we live in a less permissive age now than we did 40 years ago?

So it's her fault that you can't be comfortable around women the same way you are comfortable around men?

Look, I've said my piece and it's quite clear to anyone who looks at any of these situations that it is not because the lead vocalists or whoever is female - that's an excuse, not a reason. I don't want to argue any more about this. It is your fault, not the fact that they have tits.
Well, its not really my fault... I'm not in a band with a female so saying shit is my fault doesnt really mean anything. And yes, in the 60s it was not weird for a female to be the lead vocalist of a male band. It has nothing to do with women's rights, this is strictly just music we are talking about, and today, if a female is the lead vocalist of a male band, its something people notice and think about... thats just the way it is. And its not an excuse, for me it isn't anyway, its a preference.

Natzo
03-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Of course i would unless its vocals

Gwynnell
03-24-2008, 01:01 PM
No, because i couldn't stand being in the Paramore situation, anyone know anyone else apart from Hayley Williams?

chillbeast
03-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, its not really my fault... I'm not in a band with a female so saying shit is my fault doesnt really mean anything. And yes, in the 60s it was not weird for a female to be the lead vocalist of a male band. It has nothing to do with women's rights, this is strictly just music we are talking about, and today, if a female is the lead vocalist of a male band, its something people notice and think about... thats just the way it is. And its not an excuse, for me it isn't anyway, its a preference.

He wasn't saying you personally, he's saying "you" as a member of a female fronted band.

And he's right, if all the attention goes to your frontlady, it's not her fault it's the fault of the other band members, for whatever reasons that may be, either not talented/created enough, or what the real "problem" is with female fronts these days: They are all manufactured bands for the most part, built from the ground up to promote that one lead vocalist. The rest of the musicians in em are disposable because that's how the label has set that up. If you are in a female fronted band and end up in a situation like that it's going to be your fault for allowing that to happen.

thewho65
03-24-2008, 09:13 PM
I would let a girl into my band fo' sho', instrumentally-wise. I would consider a female frontwoman, but only if the band stayed a band, not turn into a singer and a backing band.

Fletcher092
03-24-2008, 09:41 PM
uhh if there good enough y the hell not? also if there hot it could help with getting noticed

Avedas
03-25-2008, 02:23 AM
No, because i couldn't stand being in the Paramore situation, anyone know anyone else apart from Hayley Williams?

What's the "Paramore situation"?

It seems strange that a lot of the people on here that have a problem with female vocalists have a problem with image and how much of the spotlight a female vocalist would take more than anything else.
But seeing as how most lead vocalists are the front person for the band, isn't it their job to have a lot of the spotlight?
How shallow is it to say that you don't want the audience to be looking at the singer when they should be watching ME ME ME?
This is a business folks, individual members should be picked for what they bring to a band. First and formost the most important factor should be musical ability, and if you have a member, whether they are male or female who happens to be good looking and attracts attention for it, all the better.
This business, on a gigging level, is all about selling tickets. If a member of your band helps to sell tickets from their looks, and also brings genuine musical talent to the band, then that's surely a good thing.

Because it really is true. I don't want to be a part of a band where the female singer is the only one recognized. The type of band where it turns into the "*insert name here* Band". The type of band where nobody knows anybody in the actual band's name and everyone else gets shoved back in the mix to the point where we're just accompaniment and we can't take a solo or instrumental at all. That kind of band would suck, and if I were in one, I'd be doing it 100% for the money. Lead vocalists/frontman aren't supposed to have the spotlight the entire time.

Ktool The Girth
03-25-2008, 02:56 AM
josh and zac farro, and the bassist is hunter something.

SlackerBabbath
03-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Because it really is true. I don't want to be a part of a band where the female singer is the only one recognized. The type of band where it turns into the "*insert name here* Band". The type of band where nobody knows anybody in the actual band's name and everyone else gets shoved back in the mix to the point where we're just accompaniment and we can't take a solo or instrumental at all. That kind of band would suck, and if I were in one, I'd be doing it 100% for the money. Lead vocalists/frontman aren't supposed to have the spotlight the entire time.
But surely that's down to yourself and how you arrange your performance? It's up to you and the rest of the band if you want to do solo spots.
Act like you're an equal membered band on stage and that's how you should come across.
If your roadies shove someone up in the mix too much or shine a spotlight on one person too much, tell not to do it again, or sack 'em.

Retro Rocker
03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
After having a pretty good girl sing with us for a couple of rehersals my band has decided to just stick as a trio.

She had a great singing voice, but it simply didn't have that 'oomph' and manliness to it that we need. Plus her attitude was just plain retarded, she had that 'I'm gonna act I don't know what I'm doing' thing going on.She didn't know how to set up her mic, even after being shown several times. And it wasn't a complex system, just plug in your damn mic and flick the switch :no:
And on top of that she wouldn't sing without me or the bassist singing along, and even then we were always louder, which defeats the point of having a pure vocalist. And she was always being giggly and girly.

Gawd. Luckilly me and the bassist can sing and play at the same time pretty well already, so it's all good.

And Slacker, since you're a vocalist, have you got any good tips?
I'm off to read that huge sticky in the Musicians forum, but I'd appreciate some suggestions from someone who's been doing it for a while.

Cheers :cheers:

SlackerBabbath
03-25-2008, 11:07 AM
And Slacker, since you're a vocalist, have you got any good tips?
I'm off to read that huge sticky in the Musicians forum, but I'd appreciate some suggestions from someone who's been doing it for a while.

Cheers :cheers:
Sure, whaddayawanna know?

FuzzyBear
03-25-2008, 11:14 AM
my band has a girl on bass and backing vox, works pretty well, though she can be a bit moodier/tempramental than the other guys. I think guys can take criticism alot better than chicks.

give us a listen if you want to see how it works out

http://www.myspace.com/ourescapeuk

Retro Rocker
03-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Sure, whaddayawanna know?
Well, everything would be nice :p:
But I suppose the main thing would be increasing lung capacity and sustaining notes (clearly) for longer.

SlackerBabbath
03-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Well, everything would be nice :p:
But I suppose the main thing would be increasing lung capacity and sustaining notes (clearly) for longer.
I've sent you a message with the advice you wanted as this isn't really a 'vocal' thread.
;)

Missingno476
03-26-2008, 04:28 PM
The only reason I wouldn't let a girl join a band solely on account of her sex would be if she was trying out for lead vocals and we were trying to do a style of music (e.g. a Metallica tribute band) that a female voice really wouldn't work for, and even then I'd still let her try out to see if she did something interesting with it. Of course, if she couldn't play for ****, I'd still kick her out, and I think that bands with girls probably are more prone to drama than all-male bands (at least the ones I've been in), but while I would kick her out if she was causing drama that stopped the band from functioning, I wouldn't preemptively let her in just because she might cause drama.

Wiirdo
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I am the biggest hypocrite ever. I said I would never have a female vocalist, and guess what? I asked one today and she was jumping up and down saying yes.

She's awesome.

ControlledExperiment
03-27-2008, 08:54 PM
in my band, i have a female bass player and also does backup vocals and i personally think it sounds good. so i really don't mind. so i say yes

look at +44 with "baby, come on" it sounds good

Mikeizzle
03-28-2008, 12:34 AM
86% of people who answered this question are gay.

archerygenious
03-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't have have a girl for vocals, but if she was really good at drums or bass or something, I'd think about it.
But of course if it was previously an all male band then it would change things, like you wouldn't be able to talk about certain stuff while practicing, because of a girl being there, and one of the other band members might be stupid enough to ask her out and get rejected, so that would make things awkward.
I can think of plenty of things, but if you instantly hit it off with her and she's cool and everything, yeah I would definately have her in the band

archerygenious
03-28-2008, 01:09 PM

OMG thank you for describing what I've been trying to explain about bands with female leads and then all male to my sister for ages!
She's become obsessed with paramore and since I don't share her enthusiasm she keeps asking me why, I say I don't like many bands with female lead singers, and then she calls me a sexist bastard, it gets so annoying, but now you've put it in the best way possible! That's what I feel about it as well, I just haven't thought of the best way of putting it!

af_the_fragile
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
^its just sorta hard to take bands with female singers seriously.
Like you hardly find a dark, serious band with a female lead singer.
Like say what would Tool or NIN sound like if the lead vocalist was female...?
Yeah, they wouldn't get 1/10th as popular as they're now.

Saying that bands with female vocalists have their own place.
See Nightwish, Evanescence, Paramore and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
They're all really good at what they do.
But you just can't see them crossing over into the Tool, NIN, side of music...

Wiirdo
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
It depends on who you get and what your style is. If she sounds like a typical female singer, no matter how good she is, she's nothing special. Our singer sings in the same octave as guys and in a bluesy tone, and it sounds amazing.

isaac_bandits
03-29-2008, 07:31 PM
86% of people who answered this question are gay.
86 percent have no problems with girls. That means we are able to control our sexual feelings, and are able to be in a band with a girl, and treat her no differently because of her gender. If you think that straight guys can't have females in their band, you are quite mistaken. If I misunderstood what you were saying I apologize.

I personally do not care a person's gender. It only makes a difference with the singer, but if she has a good voice for the band its all good. If her voice doesn't fit the band, then no, but a guy whose voice doesn't fit the band couldn't be our singer either.

....And the poll never specified whether this girl even looked good....

RedMoonMan
03-29-2008, 08:41 PM
everyband i have ever been in its like a brotherhood and you can talk about everything, i think that having a girl would restrain the brotherhood part of it all and the relationship would be less great unless you were in love with the girl.

Wiirdo
03-30-2008, 07:07 AM
everyband i have ever been in its like a brotherhood and you can talk about everything, i think that having a girl would restrain the brotherhood part of it all and the relationship would be less great unless you were in love with the girl.

I agree in a way. With the guy members of my band, I can just joke around :) , but when the singer's there, I have to watch my words.

Also, singer= :liplick:

xScarfx
03-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Don't do it, they bring "chick" problems into a band. I.E. They are always late, for dumb reasons... ya know.. chick **** that a group of dudes has no time to deal with.

chinese_jazz
03-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Well, I'm a girl, so I didn't vote in the poll. However...

Honestly, most of the girl musicians I know are not rock/metal-oriented ("EWWW, I hate Led Zeppelin!!" or "Who's Pink Floyd?"), which pisses me off when I try and listen to anything except pop/rock around them. Which means, I can't share good conversations about music with anyone but guys. Most of them are also mostly classically trained, which is good, but doesn't come in handy when I need another guitar. ("What's that thing called? An amp?")

And lastly, a lot don't have the drive to be committed to a band, because of either relationship problems, or just fooling around and never getting anything done. I'm working on a side project with a (girl) friend of mine, and everytime she comes over to record/jam/whatever, usually she ends up Youtubing for an hour while I sit in the corner and practice, not getting anything done. She's remarkably talented at keys and guitar, but...personality-wise, it's SO ANNOYING. I'd much rather work with guys.

So. If you've got a GOOD female musician who is COMMITTED to being a part of your band, by all means add her to the lineup. But...I don't know of many myself, so good luck trying to find one.

</rant>

Again, I am a girl.

kthxbi
03-30-2008, 10:11 AM
This has just happened to me. A friend and I both play guitar and were going to both sing in the band we're in. Now we can both sing okay, but when we found out that a girl we know was a singer who had a real passion for music, we just went up and asked her to join. She's happy, we're happy.

Besides, Karen O fucking rocks.

Of_Wolves
03-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Seriously, I laughed when I saw someone say that a girl playing drums wouldn't work. My band has a female drummer, and let me tell you would would seriously get no where in practice with out her, its nice to have a sort of organising force. (I'm not being sexist or anything here, its true)

After a recent gig I've realised another (somewhat vain-er pro) of having a female drummer. Can you say unique selling point? Oh and in future we may be adding a female singer as well, just because I adore the sound of male/female mixed vocals and two voices taking the lead. (Look at bands like High And Mighty Color, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil)

But hey, each to there own right. If it works it works :)

Music should be unisex. Whatever genre. Then again I'm probably getting very idealistic again huh? :p:

_DeX_
03-30-2008, 08:58 PM
guitars + chicks = win

Mikeizzle
03-30-2008, 09:08 PM

thats a great point that i completely agree with.

axemanchris
03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Female drummer - Prince tours and records regularly with Sheila E, and Lenny Kravitz has had a female drummer for a while now. Seems to work out fine. And then there is Jennifer Batten who shredded like crazy on tour with Michael Jackson. (sure, laugh all ya want, but with his money and stature in the '80's, he could have afforded *anybody*).

For female vox, (actually more than just female vox... ) not working for metal and stuff, check out Canadian band Kitty. She's pretty intense and not 'girly' at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PbmSSuxV9E

For alt-rock, check out Die Mannequin. She's got lots of edge and oomph in her vocals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12hLB0Mz2rg

Of course, and I'm dating myself here, there was always the original "Metal Queen" Lee Aaron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n6WjXWc-Fw

Darby Mills of Headpins was a great, as was Chrissy Steele (also Canadian, but totally overlooked)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JaH2WD9Rws

I'd gladly play in a band fronted by any of these.

CT

isaac_bandits
03-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Female drummer - Prince tours and records regularly with Sheila E, and Lenny Kravitz has had a female drummer for a while now. Seems to work out fine. And then there is Jennifer Batten who shredded like crazy on tour with Michael Jackson. (sure, laugh all ya want, but with his money and stature in the '80's, he could have afforded *anybody*).

For female vox, (actually more than just female vox... ) not working for metal and stuff, check out Canadian band Kitty. She's pretty intense and not 'girly' at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PbmSSuxV9E

For alt-rock, check out Die Mannequin. She's got lots of edge and oomph in her vocals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12hLB0Mz2rg

Of course, and I'm dating myself here, there was always the original "Metal Queen" Lee Aaron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n6WjXWc-Fw

Darby Mills of Headpins was a great, as was Chrissy Steele (also Canadian, but totally overlooked)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JaH2WD9Rws

I'd gladly play in a band fronted by any of these.

CT

Check out the Human Equation by Ayreon. It's got some amazing female vocalists, and is such a good album.

Junior#1
03-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Check out the Human Equation by Ayreon. It's got some amazing female vocalists, and is such a good album.

For the record, that is possibly my favorite album of all time. But then again, I am the biggest James LaBrie fan in the world.

Well, I'm a girl, so I didn't vote in the poll. However...

Honestly, most of the girl musicians I know are not rock/metal-oriented ("EWWW, I hate Led Zeppelin!!" or "Who's Pink Floyd?"), which pisses me off when I try and listen to anything except pop/rock around them. Which means, I can't share good conversations about music with anyone but guys. Most of them are also mostly classically trained, which is good, but doesn't come in handy when I need another guitar. ("What's that thing called? An amp?")

And lastly, a lot don't have the drive to be committed to a band, because of either relationship problems, or just fooling around and never getting anything done. I'm working on a side project with a (girl) friend of mine, and everytime she comes over to record/jam/whatever, usually she ends up Youtubing for an hour while I sit in the corner and practice, not getting anything done. She's remarkably talented at keys and guitar, but...personality-wise, it's SO ANNOYING. I'd much rather work with guys.

So. If you've got a GOOD female musician who is COMMITTED to being a part of your band, by all means add her to the lineup. But...I don't know of many myself, so good luck trying to find one.

</rant>

Again, I am a girl.

Well that's a challenge of every band, not just one with both male and female members. Everyone has a different style of music, and part of being a band is to learn to be more open to other styles. For example, I am more into progressive metal than anything, and I have a keyboard player who for the past 10 years has played nothing but classical music. You just have to learn to like different genres of music.

Don't do it, they bring "chick" problems into a band. I.E. They are always late, for dumb reasons... ya know.. chick **** that a group of dudes has no time to deal with.

Am I the only one on this site that finds this a little bit sexist? If the chick doesn't have a legitimate reason for being late, they shouldn't be in a band. But you can't label all females like that. I know a few that care more about music than anything else. I know for a fact that they would not be late for a "dumb reason" as you said.

Damascus
03-31-2008, 10:22 AM
y halo thar guyz im movin hous bt im nt goin to let any1 who iz undr 6 ft tall halp me cos thyll obv be 2 weak lol.

af_the_fragile
03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Check out this Canadian Band Jakalope.
Its an industrial/pop band of musician/producer Dave Ogilvie who worked with Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson and David Bowie.
He collaborated with vocalist Katie B to form Jakalope.
Its a really cool band with a female vocalist.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=X8J7vf32IR4
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=qtv-yo6l8xI

And she's hot too!!

But again, female vocalist = band gets a little popish...

Gunpowder
03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
All that I really care about is the sound. It doesn't matter who's making it, their gender, race, looks, or anything else.

Though I would probably get tired of playing with a total asshole.

M Power
03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm on the fence with this one because of my experiances with it. I dated a girl for a while who played with four other guys and I hated it because I knew everyone of them wanted to **** her and they were all heavily involved with drugs. Just a bad scene for a naive girl. However she is a fantastic musician who can play everything so I always wanted to start a project with her because of her theory knowledge and writing ability. Thats the problem I have dated her...hell she lost her virginity to me. So basically nothing will stop that ship from going down sooner or later due to personal problems which sucks because she is the best overall musician I know.

SlackerBabbath
04-01-2008, 06:30 AM
I'm on the fence with this one because of my experiances with it. I dated a girl for a while who played with four other guys and I hated it because I knew everyone of them wanted to **** her and they were all heavily involved with drugs. Just a bad scene for a naive girl. However she is a fantastic musician who can play everything so I always wanted to start a project with her because of her theory knowledge and writing ability. Thats the problem I have dated her...hell she lost her virginity to me. So basically nothing will stop that ship from going down sooner or later due to personal problems which sucks because she is the best overall musician I know.
I can't see you having a problem putting a side project together with her, just don't get involved in a full time band with her.

Winter Solstice
04-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Hell yeah I would, a band is good without any girls, but it feels incomplete!

fortysix&2
04-02-2008, 03:58 PM

So you wouldn't accept a gay member either?

axemanchris
04-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Uh-oh.... NOW watch the sparks fly!!

CT

SlackerBabbath
04-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Uh-oh.... NOW watch the sparks fly!!

CT

:haha

Of course, the simple answer is, employ anyone of any sex or sexual orientation, but make sure everyone follows the golden rule of 'No intimate relations with other band members!'
This is equality. ;)

Liger02
04-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Of course, the simple answer is, employ anyone of any sex or sexual orientation, but make sure everyone follows the golden rule of 'No intimate relations with other band members!'
This is equality.

Why? are there any good reasons why not?

SlackerBabbath
04-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Why? are there any good reasons why not?
Do you mean 'Why not have intimate relations within the band'?

Liger02
04-03-2008, 08:07 AM
yeah why not?

SlackerBabbath
04-03-2008, 08:36 AM
yeah why not?
Well what usualy happens, (and I'm talking from experience here, not just once, but quite a few times) is that two people in the same band are attracted to each other. At first you can't get on with any work in the rehearsal studio because they're all over each other and giggling like school girls in the corner.
Then, once they start going steady, one will often simply back up the other's opinion rather than give their own opinion when the band is discussing business, this is annoying and can cause tension within the band. They can become over protective of each other which can either isolate them from the rest of the band or again cause tension within the band.
If they move in together, the honeymoon is over. All couples argue and if they are having an argument at home, the argument generaly comes to rehearsals, gigs and recording sessions with them.
Worst of all is when they split. That can kill a band stone dead. And does this happen often? Hell yes it does, because these people are musicians, they have artistic temprements and firey dispositions. They are BOUND to split at some point.
So from beginning to end, it's a pain in the arse for everyone else in the band.
At best, they are a distraction, at worst they are like a bomb going off in the band.
Best just to avoid the whole thing really, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't employ women and homosexuals, just that a ground rule should be made.
Many businesses and companies do the same thing for exactly the same reasons.

Liger02
04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Oh ok it's pretty sad story but thanks anyway It's ok I'm just 13 I'm not allowed to work

kumamilesbear
04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
my band used to be all male, but then we lost our singer and drummer, and we got a new drummer, but still needed a singer. so we got my friend, who is an excellent singer, and has great stage presence. she really belts out the vocals, has a great range, and she takes the band very seriously. and we're all happy with having her on vocals. our old singer was good, but his tone was a bit flat. his pitch was fine though.
and he also had some timing problems. he was always like a quarter-note behind the rest of the song.
but he was a great lead guitarist.
oh well. evan's better. more feeling.
but em is an amazing vocalist, and really adds a unique sound to our band. at one point, we were playing "beast and the harlot" by a7x, and it sounded great. it was actually her idea to play the song!
same thing with "crazy train".
that was fun.

Am I the only one on this site that finds this a little bit sexist? If the chick doesn't have a legitimate reason for being late, they shouldn't be in a band. But you can't label all females like that. I know a few that care more about music than anything else. I know for a fact that they would not be late for a "dumb reason" as you said.

no, your not the only one who finds that sexist. in fact, its very sexist.
like i said, our singer, emma, is extremely committed to the music. i often just sit with her, playing my guitar or a piano or something, and she just listens, and then i play a song that we both know, and she'll start singing randomly.
its really fun.
and she's never late to practice.
she's always early, actually. i'm the lazy bastard who wakes up late and gets there about 5 minutes late.

The_Rooster
04-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I'd love to have a female vocalist. As part of her vocal training she could give BJ's to me during my solos.

FeiRei
04-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I'd love to have a female vocalist. As part of her vocal training she could give BJ's to me during my solos.

You my friend are a sexist jerk.

DigUpHerBones
04-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Well I'd be annoyed if anyone wouldn't be in a band with me because I'm female.

paul_s
04-06-2008, 07:01 AM
I'd let a girl in the band, if I was in one, in a heartbeat.

If she can play, I can't think of any reason not to give her the gig.

Girls are cool. I'd like to see more in bands.

SlackerBabbath
04-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah, it can be bad enough finding band members already without limiting yourself by instantly rejecting half the population of the earth. :D

Strati
04-06-2008, 07:27 AM
I hate girls in bands, It seems to me in 9/10 of the cases they bring unnecesarry drama and tension to a band where all othe rmembers are horny boys. Yes, I know, I am a terrible sexist, but I'm fine with that. I just speak the truth fro my point of view. Aslo, I absolutely HATE female frontwomen, because it seems like a cheap way to get more audience and recogniton . That's my point of view. There is nothing wrong with getting recognition, but doing it via recruiting a female just sucks accordning to me. That's the way it is like around here, and it's the way people look at it.

My band id discussing al this **** about "getting a girl singer because "THEY ARE SO GOOD", but i'm prety sure I will leave the band if they do, and they will look at me as stupid because of that reason. I just hate teenage drama, that's all.

st4m
04-06-2008, 07:59 AM
I'd only accept her for a groupie in the band.Nothin more.Anyway it's really rare to find a girl with the right musical direction-even harder than findin a guy.

breakstuff
04-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I don't mind at all, as long as she will be a true member and by that I mean, she has to be in it for the music and to deliver a message through it. So promptness is vital and so is commitment and determination.

kyrreca
04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Of course I would. If she was the most talented applicant, it would be stupid to turn her down. The bass player in my current band is female, and she's great.

Flying Couch
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
In the case of your hypothetical, I'd be a little reluctant, but I'd do it.

In reality, though, I'm currently looking for a female singer, preferably one who can also play guitar or bass.

warlockking
04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
anything but vocals.

WillaimC
04-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Let me say this. I play in a band 5-piece with 2 girls. Vocals and Drums. The vocalist can't be anything but Amy Lee (While she does it well 40% of the time, it's all she can do) and the Drummer is straight Jazz. We're a lot like Killswitch Engage without Screaming. Our vocalist is SOOO emotional and unmoving about everything it hinders the band. and the Drummer CANNOT play metal, along with having some of the worst timing I've ever heard. The only Reason we still have this drummer (Whos replacement by the way it the heaviest drummer I've met in person) Is because her and the vocalist go way back and they're friends. Also. Our cocky, bossy vocalist just had her 1 year anniversary with our Lead Guitarist.

shredderchick
04-08-2008, 05:55 PM
I am a girl in a band, but I would never recruit one for vocals.

Damascus
04-08-2008, 06:42 PM
anything but vocals.

See below, you idiot.

Let me say this. I play in a band 5-piece with 2 girls. Vocals and Drums. The vocalist can't be anything but Amy Lee (While she does it well 40% of the time, it's all she can do) and the Drummer is straight Jazz. We're a lot like Killswitch Engage without Screaming. Our vocalist is SOOO emotional and unmoving about everything it hinders the band. and the Drummer CANNOT play metal, along with having some of the worst timing I've ever heard. The only Reason we still have this drummer (Whos replacement by the way it the heaviest drummer I've met in person) Is because her and the vocalist go way back and they're friends. Also. Our cocky, bossy vocalist just had her 1 year anniversary with our Lead Guitarist.

If you were just talking about your band and not slating females in bands, then I apologise for the following rant, although given the thread and your post, I can't see what other angle you could be taking. So, to you, warlockking and huddled masses of brain-deficient oxygen-depleters who've posted in this mind-numbingly painful thread:

A band member can be bossy, technically poor, ill-suited to your genre etc irrespective of their gender. Yes, in general females are less suited to be in bands than males (for reasons that have been rehased to death all through the thread), but to discriminate against every female because of this would be like saying that no female could ever be taller than any male, just because they are in general less tall.

In short, it is, and I feel I must stress this, a bloody stupid position to hold.

Judge the person on how well they will fit into your band, not their gender. If you're worried about being perceived as the backing band of a talented female singer, then deflate this perception by being creative and talented yourself and stop trying to blame your obscurity on someone else. You're in their shadow because they're big and you're small. Deal. With. It. If you're worried about them dating a band member, make sure everyone understands the ban on date within the band, exactly as you would with two homo-or-bi-sexual males.

See where I'm going with this? Honestly, do we have to draw these obvious conclusions in crayon for you retards? Now shut the goddam fuck up about it.

/thread, alright?

warlockking
04-08-2008, 08:47 PM
I would consider it if she was really good and didn't just sound like Amy Lee or Britney Spears or whatever, and we were doing all originals. I just don't picture a girl singing alot of the songs i'd like to play. it has nothing to do with the fact that she's a girl. and as many problems as it might cause, i would have no problem having two band members dating, as long as it didn't interfere with band functions or turn band practice into makeout sessions...

AshleyUseless
07-08-2008, 08:35 PM
This is for guys, but whatever.

Me, being a girl YES.
But only 1 female in the band not 2.
I am a guitarist and I'm learning how to sing soon.
So guys...if you need anyone..haha

I love Hayley Williams (paramore) and Care Failure (die mannequin).
Care is amazing, singer and guitarist... her energy is awsome. check them out

Fivebretz
07-08-2008, 08:37 PM
OF COURSE! According to your question, she's "excellent". Anyone who favoured a mediocre guy over an excellent girl would just be screwing themselves

messiah01
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I had a chick singing in my band awhile back, and we kicked her out, because she was too technical when it came to original songs, and would refuse to sing my originals. I asked her about her originals, and she could only write choruses, and wanted my guitar parts to sound like Japanese Thrash metal. If she was singing, no, because I think it limits you to what songs you can play, but if she was to play bass, guitar, drums, it be really cool.

bluesrocker101
07-09-2008, 12:27 AM
It definitely depends on the personality. There are some girls I know that would be amazing to have in band personality wise, but there are some girls that I'd stay away from. I knew a guy who played played with a couple, and he told me that was hell. Just as long as the personality (that really goes for male musicians too)is good, and there is no sexual attraction between sexes, I'm all for it.

Nijyo
07-09-2008, 12:40 AM
When you think about it for a while, the problems aren't really "female" or "male" problems, they're "commitment" and "maturity" problems.

A lot of these posts center around "women introduce instability to the band" etc etc. Right, like a guy has never caused problems in a band before? If the band member, guy or girl, is always late to rehearsal, never practices, is always arguing with other members and being an ass, they get the boot. How is that any different depending on their gender?

As for the dating within the band :no: As someone said before, corporations also frequently have policies about this (that is, corporate execs can't date eachother, direct reports, etc). The reason being, it can negatively effect the business.

In a band, the band members are the senior managment. The C-levels. Your band is a business, and if you want it to succeed, you must all be working towards the best interests of the band's success. You wanna get laid? Get famous (okay, maybe just regionally popular?) and bang groupies or something. If you can't keep your dick in your pants (or, from the female side, your vagoo in your pants), that's always gonna be a problem, band or otherwise.

Oh, and to the guy who said that you have to talk differently once the girl shows up. All that means is that you've got the wrong girl for your band. Would you keep a guy around who gets all upset by your "band talk" at a rehearsal, etc? Of course not, chemistry between band-members on a personal level is important not only creatively, but I believe that the audience/fans can tell when a band truly are friends and get along, and they respond positively to that vibe. There's lots of rocker chicks who are more than happy to engage in your salty conversations, but like finding a good musician of any sort for your band, you just need to keep looking.

MetalMusicianAl
07-09-2008, 12:45 AM
no vocals. anything else sure y not.

scguitarking927
07-09-2008, 01:36 AM
not for vocals, but if she could kick the **** outta drums, bass, guitar or keys, sure.

i will agree with that. But even then it depends on what kind of music your playing a girl my be the perfect fit as your vocalist depending on the type of music you play.

Ninjamonkey767
07-09-2008, 01:53 AM
I must be one of the few here who would love to have a chick sing. And as far as instability, women can do that, simply because there's the chance for relationships to occur, or worse, break. But there are plenty of great chick singers, they just have to be in the right style of music, like anybody else.

AwesomeDrummer
07-09-2008, 01:59 AM

if your unhappy, leave.

Laces Out Danny
07-09-2008, 05:50 AM

go check out IWRESTLEDABEARONCE RIGHT NOW

http://www.myspace.com/iwrestledabearonce

female fronted grindcore with screamed vocals

samoo
07-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Yes.

I laughed when I saw the vote difference.

Parr
07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
One word... fleetwood mac... look how that turned out... GREAT MUSIC!!!

MRavioli
07-09-2008, 02:22 PM
If she's excellent at what she's doing, yes no matter the position.

Hammerzeit
07-09-2008, 03:45 PM
We have 2 female members in a band of 5, they're badass, wouldn't swap them for anyone.

RCalisto
07-09-2008, 05:40 PM
it would be very complicated to decide.
if she was very talented, and knew her theory + technique well, maybe.
but... i'm always thinking about sex -.-
and i'm not sure how that would turn out. i don't know if my head would be messed up or not.
but i do tend to think more when talking to a girl... you know, to keep a conversation going without being a moron lol.

BUT (here's the major problem) i really don't enjoy being with girls i'm not attracted to. and for me, there's really no friendship with girls. i just feel either attracted or (can't find word at the moment - very exaggerated) disgusted. it may sound weird but, hey, i AM weird xD

talent + looks is twice as rare, and + personality makes it 3x as rare. so i voted no, because it is almost impossible to find a woman to be in the same band as me, that has all that.

oh and 4x because of musical tastes.

(this would also do to men of course, without counting on the looks. that really doesn't matter lmao (well if he doesn't make me blind for looking of course (am i evil?)))

Helloween_rox
07-09-2008, 07:12 PM
It seems the overwhelming answer is yes. I have no problem with a girl being in a band I'm in (if I ever get in one), I just wouldn't want one as the lead singer, as guys can be far more aggresive on the vocals, and that's what I would want.

There's always the option of having girls in a band as dancers instead of one of the musicians. Technically they can still be in the band without actually being in it.

Tokuro1
07-09-2008, 08:28 PM
It Depends on What type of music you are playing.

Laces Out Danny
07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
There's always the option of having girls in a band as dancers instead of one of the musicians. Technically they can still be in the band without actually being in it.

haha...that was supposed to be funny right?

amazing FretMan
07-09-2008, 10:42 PM
i got a girl bassist...she is hot and plays bass...and she doesnt want a relationship..just fun

badass

Just_Matt
07-09-2008, 10:44 PM
I used to be in a power trio with two girls, its not a problem at all, the only inconvenience is that if one of them sings (this was the case) then your music gets labeled pop instantly.

BrianApocalypse
07-10-2008, 06:17 AM
I wouldn't if the average age of the band was under 21, because otherwise you'd just have a bunch of horny teenagers competing to get into her knickers.

ATXTheKiller
07-11-2008, 07:34 PM
If she was good and committed, definatly, but only if my style permitted, I.E. Metal, etc. And I probably wouldn't have a girl as a vocalist, I personally just don't like female vocals, they also sound too...pop-ish to me. I mean, if anyone can prove me wrong, by all means do.

As for the relationship shindig, I dunno, depends on the person.

DeAd-RiP
07-12-2008, 09:20 AM
i wouldnt care as long as she could play

DrowningOphelia
07-12-2008, 09:57 AM

I'm the only girl in my band and I completely disagree. It's not always like that. One of the guys in my band actually had a crush on me a while back for quite a while, before the band, but he can accept we're just friends and it's no big deal. The guys in my band are kind of like brothers to me, we grew up together and we all are there for the music and aren't going to let stupid relationship stuff screw that up.

Blind In 1 Ear
07-12-2008, 12:43 PM
This is a question for males who belong to all-male bands.

Why or why not? Would you only accept her if she was auditioning for a certain position?
yea for sure. i dont really see a reason why not.

JakdOnCrack
07-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Not for vocals, otherwise I don't care. Backing vocals I suppose are okay if they fit, and as long as she's playing an instrument

grampastumpy
07-12-2008, 07:29 PM
On an instrument, absolutely. On vocals, it depends on what kind of group. She will be absolutely unable to sing what a guy can the way a guy can, but then again, she's got the female voice and the higher register.

Dead1
07-12-2008, 07:42 PM
For vocals, not at all.

For an instrument. Possibly.

I've noticed some girls that do things that have more males than females love to carlessly draw attention to themselves. Always reminding you that they are a girl, and thus unique and deserving of more attention. Its really obnoxious and stupid. If they have that attitude, then no.

trey-col89
07-13-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm the only girl in my band and I completely disagree. It's not always like that. One of the guys in my band actually had a crush on me a while back for quite a while, before the band, but he can accept we're just friends and it's no big deal. The guys in my band are kind of like brothers to me, we grew up together and we all are there for the music and aren't going to let stupid relationship stuff screw that up.
Oh how in denial you are. :rolleyes:

Mr.Cuddles
07-13-2008, 03:38 PM
right now we have a guy and a girl singing in my band, the girl play some keys stuff while she signs, it's much like a duet.
we have no problem with it.

girls are just as capable of playing as guys are, besides...talent is hot...

Symmetry4321
07-14-2008, 03:18 AM
We have a female vocalist and someone in a pub classed us as one of the most diverse and unusual bands they had ever come across (he was drunk so i don't know how true that was) but that we definatly didn't sound lik a pop band

Not all female rock vocalists sound like pop. Look at people like Christina Scabbia, they are female, have huge voices, can have quite a bit of aggrssion in thier voice and dosen't sound in the least bit poopy

fagelamusgtr
07-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Did this for a week. She didnt match our style. She was good, but just didn't fit with us. Plus we had to change the way we behaved... :(

Starless_Eyes
07-17-2008, 04:33 PM

Sounds like someone can't get a girlfriend. xD

Anyway, being a girl vocalist/guatarist in a band, I've got to say, when you're all dedicated artists, it shouldn't matter. Look at the Smashing Pumpkins, or Mindless Self Indulgence. They both rock, with girls.

Freunleven
07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
It really depends on the persons and personalities involved. Sure, you could get a really great band member, but you could also end up with an Amy Winehouse.

On the other hand, who wants Axl Rose in their band?

Morons come in both male and female form, after all.

:satan:

T3H BLASIAN
07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Would you only accept her if she was auditioning for a certain position?
yeah for wutever posttion thats needed