Well, I'm a metal listener, and...

PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm a metal listener, and...

HelloHalo
03-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I want to get into some Jazz. I listen to a lot of blues/blues-rock, like SRV, Clapton, etc.

but, I don't know where to start with jazz, so, some reccomendations for starting to listen to and play jazz? I'm also hoping to improve my jamming skills by listening as well.

Much appreciated if you can help.

sirlimecat
03-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Me too, love metal want more insite on jazz/blues

diminishedtobme
03-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Django Reinhardt
Joe Pass
Wes Montgomery
You might also find it easier to get into Fusion in the start, so you might wanna try;

Allan Holdsworth
Scott Henderson
Frank Gamble
Brett Garsed

Highbinder
03-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Find out the jazz influences of Black Sabbath, I'd imagine that'd be a good start.

imgooley
03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Django Reinhardt
Joe Pass
Wes Montgomery
You might also find it easier to get into Fusion in the start, so you might wanna try;

Allan Holdsworth
Scott Henderson
Frank Gamble
Brett Garsed
what he said

Nick_
03-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I find that a rock/metal listener's best route into jazz is through the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtSIEkPqVgk

rush5757
03-21-2008, 01:04 AM
black sabbath soloed in the blues scale a lot, didn't they? From what I've heard of them, they seem more blues-inspired than jazz, but then again I've only heard a handful of songs, so don't quote me on that :p:

Anyways, I don't own much guitar-oriented jazz, but some of my favorite jazz is:
Charlie Parker (get a greatest hits cd)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue ('So What' is an incredible song)

they are great places to start for jazz. If I had to choose out of the two, I'd recommend Miles Davis because his stuff is easier to listen to for a beginner. Don't get me wrong, Parker is arguably the best jazz performer of all time, but Miles Davis is a great place to start if you want to get into jazz, imo.

Axegrinder#9
03-21-2008, 02:44 AM
yea start off with jazz fusion, that's the same route I took to get into core jazz.

Underjoggle
03-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Jazz Guitarists:
Django Reinhardt
Joe Pass
Charlie Christian
George Benson (Holy ****ing Crap)

Jazz in General:
Benny Goodman
Herbie Hancock
Charlie Parker
Thelonius Monk
James Moody
Charles Mingus

matt92l
03-22-2008, 07:12 PM
blues wise head for stevie ray vaughan, bb king,eric clapton,albert king and Robert Johnson

ill also throw in Jeff Beck cause i like him even though he's abit of everything

ze monsta
03-23-2008, 08:30 AM
blues wise head for stevie ray vaughan, bb king,eric clapton,albert king and Robert Johnson

ill also throw in Jeff Beck cause i like him even though he's abit of everything

Did you read the first post? He said he's looking for Jazz as he already listens to blues artists...

matt92l
03-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Did you read the first post? He said he's looking for Jazz as he already listens to blues artists...

The penny has dropped,i apologise :bonk:

TNfootballfan62
03-23-2008, 11:06 AM
My jazz cd purchase was "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis. I love it.

Nick_
03-23-2008, 11:32 AM
KoB is an incredible album to start with because it's easy to listen to at first, but the more you listen to other jazz and the more you learn how to listen to it and go back to it it delivers more and more and more. It's the ultimate repeat listen album, every single time you hear so many new things.

sre9981
03-23-2008, 12:50 PM

+1

imgooley
03-23-2008, 04:27 PM
+[really big number] My favorite Miles album.

Check out some of the stikies for some albums. There are 2 jazz album reviews up right now

Nick_
03-23-2008, 05:14 PM
While it's not my favourite Miles album, it's my favourite album from that Miles era, the first quintet + Cannonball. I prefer the second quintet and the fusion (In a Silent Way kicks my ass every time I hear it), although I must admit that the first quintet's takes of 'Round Midnight are brilliant.