Building a press kit

PDA

View Full Version : Building a press kit

blacklabelsdmf
03-18-2008, 08:57 PM
for certain gigs and other stuff for my band, companies and venues are asking for press kits. i assume that its like a demo, video, and other artist related stuff. what all does a press kit include specificly?

RentACar
03-18-2008, 09:01 PM
I have mini press kit for my band. All I did, was take about 2 songs, a biography a band picture, and aresses where to reach us.

SlackerBabbath
03-19-2008, 04:42 AM
for certain gigs and other stuff for my band, companies and venues are asking for press kits. i assume that its like a demo, video, and other artist related stuff. what all does a press kit include specificly?
That would be a 'promotional' kit with the videos and demos included, (the kinda thing that you'd send to a promoter or agent) but it's still a good idea to throw them in, and a t-shirt too if you've got any spare.
Basicaly, your press kit should have everything that you need to provide the press with the details of whatever event you wish them to promote, which invariably isn't very much, a little background info, a couple of photo's (usualy one in colour, and one in b&w) line up details, any interesting little snippets of information that could be used to fill out a write up about your act, (for example, we actualy split up for 12 months then got back together, so we told the press that it was 'Due to health reasons... we were sick of the sight of each other.' and the press had a field day with that. Every reporter we told that to wrote it in their piece about us because it was funny, it made the point that we'd split and got back together, and it helped to fill the piece out) contact number (in case they want to do a feature on you and need more details, or even interview you, ect.
So why put in the vid, demo and t-shirt? Simple really, they're a bribe.
I haven't met one reporter who doesn't like the idea of getting free stuff, and I've noticed over the years that the more goodies you include in your press pack, the bigger the piece is that's written about you, especialy reporters from in small-time local newspapers. Even to the point where we tried an experiment.
We gave a reporter (one that had written pieces about us in the past) a press pack with nothing more than the details of the gig we wanted him to write about.
We got a few lines hidden away in the 'What's On.' section of the newspaper.
A little while later, we sent the same reporter details of another gig, at the same venue, with practicaly the same information... plus a t-shirt.
The reporter rang us up, said thanks for the shirt, asked a few questions about us and what we'd been doing lately then said goodbye.
The next week, we got an entire page of the entertainments section to ourselves with a massive headline, big colour photo and a really decent write up.
Because of this, the gig had twice as many people there as we had previously had, and all for the sake of a t-shirt that cost us just 3.

axemanchris
03-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm finding fewer and fewer people really care about press kits these days. A lot of the major festivals, even (like NXNE, SXSW, CMJ stuff, etc.) don't want them. Most bars don't want them. Radio contests don't want them either.

They want either a SonicBids page, or might even be happy enough with MySpace for clubs and stuff.

Now, as far as press (as in newspaper, TV, etc.), they still like the actual package.

In any case - 8x10 photo (often b+w), CD, ONE-PAGE bio, and maybe another sheet with excerpts from other media you've gotten, reviews, quotes, accomplishments, etc.

CT