Thelonious Monk

PDA

View Full Version : Thelonious Monk

Beakwithteeth
03-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Watched a documentary about him on TV and I am pretty...intrigued. His music was really weird and idk if I like it that much but if I was to buy one of his albums which would be the best one to start with?

EDIT: SH*T! I just noticed the album of the month. Well whatever...

Jimmy94
03-19-2008, 02:21 AM
take a look at the jazz album of the month! I would recommend either that or his live album at carnegie hall with john coltrane

I personally wouldn't say his music was weird, I'd say it's brilliant! Although he was rumored to be schizophrenic, maybe that rubbed off in his playing somehow.

imgooley
03-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Good sh!t sir. I really enjoyed writing that AOTM, because it allowed me to analyze his music in a way that I had not done before. Taught me a deal of theory too. Underground is an awesome album too.

Beakwithteeth
03-19-2008, 02:24 AM
I personally wouldn't say his music was weird, I'd say it's brilliant! .

Weird and brilliant seem to be hand in hand in a lot of cases though, don't read it like it is a bad thing. Sorry I didn't notice the album of the month until after I made the thread.

imgooley
03-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Weird and brilliant seem to be hand in hand in a lot of cases though, don't read it like it is a bad thing. Sorry I didn't notice the album of the month until after I made the thread.
Too true. Just listen to Epistrophy and Monk's Mood. That shit gets me every time. I also love how he would get up and start dancing in the middle of his songs. Man was a genius, truly. My favorite pianist ever. Look at some vids of him, he plays with his elbow, and his expressions and technique are unique and awesome.

Beakwithteeth
03-19-2008, 02:30 AM
Well when I said I watched the documentary I actually meant I am watching it right now. He does have some eccentric playing. When he played concerts did he announce the titles of his pieces because I don't think I have managed to understand 3 words out of all the stuff he has said...

imgooley
03-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Well when I said I watched the documentary I actually meant I am watching it right now. He does have some eccentric playing. When he played concerts did he announce the titles of his pieces because I don't think I have managed to understand 3 words out of all the stuff he has said...
Yeah he was more of a cool cat than Miles, the King of Cool. The main reason why he isn't as big as a Coltrane or a Miles Davis is the fact that he had his cabaret license pulled and didn't perform in the regular clubs (or at all if memory serves me right) 8 years

Nick_
03-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Many people find him more difficult to listen to because of his very unique sense of timing. I love it, personally. He never wanted or sought mainstream attention and was pretty reclusive.

Of course he deserves mention for being one of the key innovators of bebop. He was way ahead of his time with his use of space and harmony too. His compositions just keep delivering, long after the fact.

Also - he has one of the best quotes in jazz: When he was asked what he thought about Ornette Coleman he replied "Man, that cat is crazy"

imgooley
03-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Also - he has one of the best quotes in jazz: When he was asked what he thought about Ornette Coleman he replied "Man, that cat is crazy"
I love it

imgooley
03-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Bumped because Monk is that awesome

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/albums/herbsnitzer/tmonk.jpg

Beakwithteeth
03-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Bumped because Monk is that awesome

]

Well at least you gave a good reason.

Bring up a topic relating to Monk and discussion will occur and bumping will be unnecessary.

EDIT:How about this? You say his cabaret license was pulled, why?

imgooley
03-28-2008, 08:06 PM
He was in a car with another musician, they ran into the police, and Monk wouldn't rat out his friend.

Beakwithteeth
03-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Hmmm, not as hardcore as I coulda hoped :p:

imgooley
03-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh they had a massive amount of narcotics in the car. Left that part out

imgooley
03-29-2008, 03:17 AM
Hmmm, not as hardcore as I coulda hoped :p:
What were you hoping for?

Beakwithteeth
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Idk what I was hoping for. The narcotics helped, it just didn't seem like a very valid reason to take away his license before.

imgooley
03-30-2008, 04:44 AM
Idk what I was hoping for. The narcotics helped, it just didn't seem like a very valid reason to take away his license before.
That is because it wasn't. He was a black bebopper in the fifties.

Also, his license was only pulled in NYC. He could have went anywhere else to play his music, but he refused to leave New York

Beakwithteeth
03-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Hmm, well it seemed he did alright for himself regardless.

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ashcanrantings/monk.jpg

I wonder what he's looking at...

ze monsta
04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
I think my dad saw Monk, I know he likes him a lot. I'm pretty sure he did.

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, my dad is black so :p:

ze monsta
04-15-2008, 02:45 PM
My dad is almost black, because he speaks like a gangster coz he teaches them.
He likes basketball, blues, teaches sports, is really quick ( was 3rd quickest in europe for under 50s or sommit) and he's strong. :p:

:confused: BAAAAYYUM! :confused:

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:48 PM
No matter how much he likes black culture, he will never be black.

Not that it's anything special. *curses the police*

ze monsta
04-15-2008, 03:13 PM
:haha

imgooley
04-19-2008, 05:05 PM
http://991.com/newGallery/Thelonious-Monk-The-Unique-Thelon-357284.jpg

So cool, he's even on a stamp

Beakwithteeth
05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Pulled out of obscurity because, this much time after making the thread, I finally got a Thelonious Monk album! :haha

I got Brilliant Corners and it is brilliant of course. I guess I kinda forgot to get some Monk for a while.

Well at any rate this thread shouldn't be in obscurity because Monk is one of the most important jazz composers so now it isn't any longer.

opivy21
05-28-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm don't listen to tons of jazz, but of what I do listen to Monk is definitely one of my favs.

Psychedelico
05-29-2008, 07:54 AM
I have a live album with him and coltrane. it's f-ing fantastic.

imgooley
05-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I love Brilliant Corners. Sonny Rollins is on that record, I believe.

Nick_
05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I have a live album with him and coltrane. it's f-ing fantastic.

It was the find of the century (this guy discovered it, pristine, in an archive).

The take of Blue Monk is just mind-blowing.

imgooley
05-29-2008, 06:01 PM
It was the find of the century (this guy discovered it, pristine, in an archive).

The take of Blue Monk is just mind-blowing.
The take of Off Minor is just as, if not more, mind blowing

Nick_
05-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Are we taking about the same album?

Monk with Coltrane at Carnegie Hall?

imgooley
05-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Are we taking about the same album?

Monk with Coltrane at Carnegie Hall?
I believe so. Off Minor is track #3 on that album, if I'm not mistaken.

GoDrex
05-29-2008, 07:27 PM
My favorite jazz artist. I have and album of him playing standards that just give chills every time. Also a Best Of Blue Note album that is also great. I have a live album of him with Cltrane but I could never get into it because the sound quality is poor. Anyway, Monk is the **** - the real deal. Listen to Monk and he'll re-arrange your brain cells.

Nick_
05-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Track 3 is Crepiscule with Nellie; at least on my screen (it's ripped in, the CD is stashed somewhere, so it's not a badly labeled download)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelonious_Monk_Quartet_with_John_Coltrane_at_Carnegie_Hall

wikipedia's track listing is the same as what I have^

GoDrex for ages the only recording of him with trane was the bad sounding one but a couple years ago they found a really good one. Highly recomended. It, B. Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard, and Mingus' CM presents CM are my favourite live albums.

Beakwithteeth
05-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I love Brilliant Corners. Sonny Rollins is on that record, I believe.

You're back! :D

Yeah, this album has been blowing my mind. I would get more of his stuff but I am a huge jazz noob so there's way too many other artists I have to get a taste of before I get more Monk I think.

imgooley
05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Track 3 is Crepiscule with Nellie; at least on my screen (it's ripped in, the CD is stashed somewhere, so it's not a badly labeled download)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelonious_Monk_Quartet_with_John_Coltrane_at_Carnegie_Hall

wikipedia's track listing is the same as what I have^

GoDrex for ages the only recording of him with trane was the bad sounding one but a couple years ago they found a really good one. Highly recomended. It, B. Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard, and Mingus' CM presents CM are my favourite live albums.
Dammit...

I guess it must be a different album.

Either that or it's with Sonny Rollins...

I really need to stop downloading stuff.

imgooley
05-29-2008, 11:11 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Thelonious-Monk-John-Coltrane/dp/B000000Y2F

It's this one, track 3. Recorded at The Five Spot.

imgooley
09-14-2008, 02:13 AM
http://www.jaywye.com/wp-images/random/monk_playing_ping_pong.jpg

ze monsta
09-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Awesome picture.

JilaX^
09-14-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm guessing he's play with his left hand :haha

ohhey9040
09-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Listening to Brilliant Corners right now. Pure awesome.

merkalos666
09-20-2008, 06:20 PM
i was learning this song by him called "straight no chaser" recently.

imgooley
09-20-2008, 07:14 PM
The Jazz Band I'm in is doing all Monk songs right now.

Well You Needn't
Blue Monk
Round Midnight.

srvflood
09-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Of Monk's Stuff I have The Genius Of Modern Music both volumes, and all four of his Complete Blue Note recordings album as well as Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall.