slide guitar

PDA

View Full Version : slide guitar

Jimbleton
03-19-2008, 05:13 PM
i love the blues and i want to move on and play slide guitar, but i have read that you need thicker strings, higher action and different tunings. none are a problem cos i have 2 guitars so enlighten me in the way of slide. cheers jimbleton

j_hunter_hkr
03-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Pick an Open tuning (G and D are my favourites for slide). Learn where the I IV V chords are in your chosen tuning. Most box shapes translate into open tunings pretty well so you can use all of your usual licks and what not in those tunings. Slide away!

ViperScale
03-19-2008, 05:18 PM
my action on my electric is as low as i can get it and i never can play a slide on it right. But i know people who play slides alot more then me and can. Higher the action the easier it will be to play a slide.

imgooley
03-19-2008, 05:22 PM
THE ONLY SLIDE GUITAR THREAD (http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425035)

ze monsta
03-20-2008, 05:53 PM
^ USE IT.

But to answer your more specific questions:

You don't need thicker strings.
You do need a slightly higher action, but it's not really an issue. I play slide on my SG that has a really low action. You just use less pressure than you would on a guitar with a higher action, to a suitable level.

That's all I'm gonna say, coz it's all been said before and I've said it before somewhere.

gopherthegreat
03-20-2008, 06:06 PM
use the slide thread, as posted above......

but ya, having a higher action helps

TeXaS_db
03-20-2008, 06:15 PM
^ USE IT.

But to answer your more specific questions:

You don't need thicker strings.
You do need a slightly higher action, but it's not really an issue. I play slide on my SG that has a really low action. You just use less pressure than you would on a guitar with a higher action, to a suitable level.

That's all I'm gonna say, coz it's all been said before and I've said it before somewhere.

^Agreed, but practice on a higher action for awhile because it will be easier and will help u figure out were your slide should be so it'll sound right. but once u get use to it, it shouldnt be a problem playing on a lower action.