question about tuning up on a 5 string.

PDA

View Full Version : question about tuning up on a 5 string.

samlocke14
03-20-2008, 02:00 AM
im a guitarist speaking on behalf of my bands bass player.

he has a 5 string and we play in drop b and he was wondering if he could tune the other strings up to the drop b tuning: B F# B E A#? or weather to drop the whole bass down to: G# B F# B E? what would you all recomend?
its a yamaha 5 string btw

AVA_Plus44_182
03-20-2008, 02:11 AM
If you play in drop B then definitely don't tune his bass up, there's no point. If anything he'll have an easier time playing in standard 5-string tuning because his strings will have more spacing of notes between each string, making certain riffs easier to play. But the main reason for not tuning up is because there's a very good chance it'll damage the neck, and possibly break the strings.

fitbband
he shouldnt have to drop anything, his lowest string will already be a low B. so he will just have find where the notes will be. So he will be playing something different while you guys play your guitars, he will be playing the same notes, it will just look different.

fitbband
he shouldnt have to drop anything, his lowest string will already be a low B. so he will just have find where the notes will be. So he will be playing something different while you guys play your guitars, he will be playing the same notes, it will just look different.

matosh.lee
03-20-2008, 02:16 AM
If you play in drop B then definitely don't tune his bass up, there's no point. If anything he'll have an easier time playing in standard 5-string tuning because his strings will have more spacing of notes between each string, making certain riffs easier to play. But the main reason for not tuning up is because there's a very good chance it'll damage the neck, and possibly break the strings.

the most he should tune the B to is prob a C maybe a Db and a that prob wont break the think B. but it will damage the neck. that is the most concern.

RockerPseudonym
03-20-2008, 02:32 AM
the most he should tune the B to is prob a C maybe a Db and a that prob wont break the think B. but it will damage the neck. that is the most concern.

I don't think you know what you're talking about...

First...If he was doing Drop B, he wouldn't have to touch the B string, and guess why...

Because it's already at B.

But more importantly, He's better off keeping it at BEADG, and so should the rest of the band, because it just sounds better than Drop B. My own opinion.

smb
03-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Stay in standard.

DeAd-RiP
03-20-2008, 05:24 AM
leave it? if he cant work out how to work a fret board its his fault

shut_up_you_***
03-20-2008, 06:46 AM
im a guitarist speaking on behalf of my bands bass player.

he has a 5 string and we play in drop b and he was wondering if he could tune the other strings up to the drop b tuning: B F# B E A#? or weather to drop the whole bass down to: G# B F# B E? what would you all recomend?
its a yamaha 5 string btw

I'm not a fan of drop tuning myself, but I do see its merits. But this post wasn't about its merits guys...

B F# B E A I think is what you're looking for (I'm not sure where you got the A# from). Makes sense to me.

t3hrav3n
03-20-2008, 12:14 PM
This is what I do for my band, I play in B Standard and transpose everything not on the B string up two frets. I'm assuming you're playing in a metal band tuning that low, so there won't be much trouble with that. Just tell him to play everything two frets up except for the B string.

It would definitely be possible to tune to G#BF#BE, but you'd need much thicker strings and a proper setup. I play in two bands, and B standard works for both of them, but if I had another bass, I'd tune it to that, so I can have more options.