How hard is it to learn to play the banjo?

PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to learn to play the banjo?

freshtunes
03-21-2008, 01:33 AM
I've been playing guitar for 5 years now, and also play sax, bass, drums, and piano. Is there a big learning curve to the banjo? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beakwithteeth
03-21-2008, 01:34 AM
I tried, I failed.

I actually gave up really early but I thik it would be really tough to get used to the finger picks. But hey, I say go for it, banjos kick too much ass.

dio_dude
03-21-2008, 01:35 AM
hard. it's such a hard switch

Straplocks
03-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Guys, explain why. I'm curious too.

XxXLuisanXxX
03-21-2008, 01:38 AM
If it it's hard because of fingerpicking, thats dumb. Everyone should be able to play not just with their thumbs, but the middle, index and ring finger. It opens a whole new world of possiblities, take Jerry's Breakdown as an example.

freshtunes
03-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Well I've been learning finger picking for a couple months now. Just working out some simple stuff, running through a few lessons and exercises.

mgetz
03-21-2008, 01:41 AM
Its easy if you're half-decent at finger-picking.

Zugunruhe
03-21-2008, 01:41 AM
If it it's hard because of fingerpicking, thats dumb. Everyone should be able to play not just with their thumbs, but the middle, index and ring finger. It opens a whole new world of possiblities, take Jerry's Breakdown as an example.winwinwinwinwinwinwin. this individual wins.

i only fingerpick nowadays. single notes arent enough of a high anymore.

clawhammer is a pretty hard technique, but its damn impressive. anyway, youre gonna learn to fingerpick. its a very cool instrument when well played.

reaper_x
03-21-2008, 01:43 AM
i can play the banjo with my teeth and both my hands tied behind my back while
having sex with Carmen Electra in the gym while doing weights.

i know, im god.

Beakwithteeth
03-21-2008, 01:43 AM
I can finger pick. It's just the fingerpicks themself were weird because you couldn't pick normally you have to pluck out kinda.

SomeoneYouKnew
03-21-2008, 01:51 AM
If it it's hard because of fingerpicking, thats dumb. Everyone should be able to play not just with their thumbs, but the middle, index and ring finger. It opens a whole new world of possiblities, take Jerry's Breakdown as an example.You obviously know nothing about it.

The fingerpicking is only a small part of the difficulty.

1 - The strings are under more tension than most guitars. The left hand works harder, too.

2 - Banjo is "percussive". It sustains for a much shorter time than a guitar. So parts written for the banjo tend to have many more notes in the same length of time.

3 - There are several different "standard" tunings for the banjo. NONE of them are the same as the tuning on a guitar.

4 - The 5th string on the banjo doesn't go all the way to the nut. That's just bloody weird.

It's a very different instrument from the guitar.
The ability to play guitar is only a small advantage when learning the banjo.

Beakwithteeth
03-21-2008, 01:53 AM
4 - The 5th string on the banjo doesn't go all the way to the nut. That's just bloody weird.

And it is the highest pitched string :wtf:

lotsofvolume
03-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Hey, banjos are awesome.
Go for it. :D

freshtunes
03-21-2008, 01:54 AM
You obviously know nothing about it.

The fingerpicking is only a small part of the difficulty.

1 - The strings are under more tension than most guitars. The left hand works harder, too.

2 - Banjo is "percussive". It sustains for a much shorter time than a guitar. So parts written for the banjo tend to have many more notes in the same length of time.

3 - There are several different "standard" tunings for the banjo. NONE of them are the same as the tuning on a guitar.

It's a very different instrument from the guitar.
The ability to play guitar is only a small advantage when learning the banjo.
I like a challenge. Where is your sense of adventure?

Beakwithteeth
03-21-2008, 01:55 AM
He never said don't do it, it is just difficult. Go for it and then bluegrass it up like a mother****er.

SomeoneYouKnew
03-21-2008, 02:03 AM
I like a challenge. Where is your sense of adventure?imho adventures are meant to be hot, wet and sticky. But to each their own. Go for it, dude.

IMABBALLPLAYER
03-21-2008, 02:05 AM
I'm trying to learn too. It's not easy. Good luck though.

freshtunes
03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks.

sheppard30
03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I think for good fingerpicking players it will be easy.
I never played banjo, but ive seen some tabs and the chords are pretty easy, its just fast constant fingerpicking. I think it will be hard to get used to banjo tunings.

blynd_snyper
03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I can play it, it's really not that bad.

Once you've got past the adjustment it really isn't hard to pick it up. There are enough tutorials on youtube to turn you into a decent player. Of course the fingerpicks are weird, as is the feeling of trying to fingerpick in a new way, but you get used to it very quickly.

Go for it, unless you have no sense of rhythm it'll be fairly easy.

thewho65
03-21-2008, 11:14 AM
You know, there are 6-string banjos in standard tuning available...

blynd_snyper
03-21-2008, 11:17 AM
You know, there are 6-string banjos in standard tuning available...
They're known as 'banjuitars' and are really not worth the time.

Time Seller
03-21-2008, 11:17 AM
If you're adapt at classical fingerpicking AND bass, then you're on a good foot. It's a hard switch though, regardless. Go for it.