solid vs. laminate top

PDA

View Full Version : solid vs. laminate top

x1gzus1x
03-23-2008, 08:59 PM
so is solid really that much better? i plan on buying my first acoustic electric tomorrow and have a few questions before i head out to the store. so solid tops are more expensive but is the difference in tone a major one or something that i can compensate for with a laminate top guitar and an EQ. I tried an Ibanez aeg10 a couple of weeks ago and liked it but it didn't blow me away. I am also considering the ael20, and the Yamaha APX500 and APX700. I have not tried the yamaha's but like what I hear from reviews and most of my favorite acoustic players using them. Of these the only solid top is the apx700. I am looking for an acoustic electric with a cutaway and a nice bassy to midrange sound. These guitars are between $300-$500 which is my range, 500 only if the guitar is THAT much better than the $300 ones. I am not familiar with other brand models such as takamine or ovation but i would appreciate any suggestions you may have. I also care about playability and aesthetics but sound is my top priority. Thank You.

Ibanez AEG10 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEG10E-AcousticElectric-Guitar-?sku=519982)

Ibanez AEL20 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEL20E-AcousticElectric-Guitar-with-Onboard-Tuner?sku=519998)

Yamaha APX500 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-APX500-Thinline-Acoustic-Electric-Cutaway-Guitar-with-Piezo?sku=512948)

Yamaha APX700 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-APX700-Thinline-Acoustic-Electric-Cutaway-Guitar?sku=512945&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=30159359)

Nacho Cheese!
03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Yamaha FG* series is really good

*I believe it is called FG any how. :p:

Nick_
03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
so is solid really that much better? i plan on buying my first acoustic electric tomorrow and have a few questions before i head out to the store. so solid tops are more expensive but is the difference in tone a major one or something that i can compensate for with a laminate top guitar and an EQ.

nope you can't compensate

I tried an Ibanez aeg10 a couple of weeks ago and liked it but it didn't blow me away. I am also considering the ael20, and the Yamaha APX500 and APX700. I have not tried the yamaha's but like what I hear from reviews and most of my favorite acoustic players using them. Of these the only solid top is the apx700. I am looking for an acoustic electric with a cutaway and a nice bassy to midrange sound. These guitars are between $300-$500 which is my range, 500 only if the guitar is THAT much better than the $300 ones. I am not familiar with other brand models such as takamine or ovation but i would appreciate any suggestions you may have. I also care about playability and aesthetics but sound is my top priority. Thank You.

if sound is your top priority please get a purely acoustic without a cutaway. Trust me, they look cooler anyway.

Unless you're actually gigging regularly (like you're on tour, not you play a coffeehouse once a month) there's not much need for an acoustic/electric.

Highbinder
03-24-2008, 02:01 AM
nope you can't compensate

if sound is your top priority please get a purely acoustic without a cutaway. Trust me, they look cooler anyway.

Unless you're actually gigging regularly (like you're on tour, not you play a coffeehouse once a month) there's not much need for an acoustic/electric.

Especially in that price range. If you're worried about higher fret access don't be. You can quite comfortably reach 15th fret, allowing you to play in E an octave up which is usually more than enough.

smokin_joe
03-24-2008, 04:13 AM
Laminate = baaaaad.

Well, thats what I think anywho.

:D

Tommy[fin]
03-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Laminate = baaaaad.

Well, thats what I think anywho.

:D

Yeah, but you should consider that he's getting his first acoustic. It's not like you can't practice, do gigs and sound great on a laminate top.

I'd only consider getting a good solid top classical if I'd be professional or doing something else that requires top notch equipment like a conservatory.

Or if I was loaded with cash and had nothing better to spend it on.

TS, there are a lot of gear whores and elitists on this forum, just go and try the guitars and decide yourself instead of listening to the biased opinions of others, myself included :p:

Anyways, I'd recommend getting a decent lam top first. And forget about the electronics. You get more guitar for the price if you do.

johnos
03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
']Yeah, but you should consider that he's getting his first acoustic. It's not like you can't practice, do gigs and sound great on a laminate top.

I'd only consider getting a good solid top classical if I'd be professional or doing something else that requires top notch equipment like a conservatory.

Or if I was loaded with cash and had nothing better to spend it on.

TS, there are a lot of gear whores and elitists on this forum, just go and try the guitars and decide yourself instead of listening to the biased opinions of others, myself included :p:

Anyways, I'd recommend getting a decent lam top first. And forget about the electronics. You get more guitar for the price if you do.

But a solid top doesn't actually cost you that much more and they do sound much better (in 99% of situations at least). For the amount you are looking at with those guitars you can get some great acoustic guitars with solid tops.
I agree with your sentiments about ditching the electronics altogether cos you will get a much better guitar for the money.
For starters check out this thread. All under $300 and all with solid tops:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337075

Also, One of the guitars you listed there is $500, you can get a good guitar with a solid top for waay under that, and a good acoustic electric WITH a solid top for under that. If your set on an acoustic electric check out the Alvarez AD60SC (Yes I have one and am a bit biased but I am genuinely very happy with it, it sounds good unplugged and in my limited testing plugged in, sound good then too) and there are a few Takamines around for similar prices and I believe Takamines come with a better pickup system than the Alvarez's.

Point is, there are much better options out there within the prices you are looking at. None of them are really fancy looking (the AD60SC does come in black if thats your thing, not mine, but neither is sunburst or anything like that on an acoustic) but they sound good and have good quality components. Can't say the same about Ibanez. Quality Control with them is pretty bad.

Second point of this post is that Laminate tops may sound OK to you at first (they did to me and many others too) but very soon you will want something more which you will get from a solid top. Now this is first hand experience here, don't waste your time/money on a laminate to start with when you can get a solid top pretty cheap and have it last you a lot longer.

Not convinced? I'm going to bed, but I'd be more than happy to come back tomorrow morning and possibly fix up any incomprehensible sentences and add some more reasons why you shouldnt make the same mistake I and many others did.

Goodluck and Goodnight

scott58
03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I've had my Dean laminate top V-Wing for about a year now and like it just as much now (if not more) then the day I got it. I don't even look at acoustic guitars that much anymore. connected to my PA with EQ it gets a great range of tone. Bottom line is if you like it buy it.

corndogggy
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Professional-Series-PD80S-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518823&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26044511

I have that one, it's very nice, and in your price range. You can easily add electrics later when they are needed, such as a soundhole pickup or under-saddle like the fishman matrix.

I got mine used, which I'd recommend if possible. I have that guitar, brand new deluxe gator ABS plastic case, and an L.R. Baggs M1 active soundhole pickup... I have $270 in the entire setup. :cool: I've yet to find a guitar under $1,800 that I would trade it for.

x1gzus1x
03-24-2008, 07:39 PM
thanx alot for the suggestions guys, i think i'm going to wait a little longer now since I'm not 100% sure on what to get. I don't want to buy something and end up regretting it so i'll try out all the guitars you have mentioned...thanx again

Guitar Hack
03-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Wood vibrates and with solid wood it is allowed to do this well because there is not impediment to the movement of the wood. With Laminate you have the grain going in two directions. This impedes the movement of the wood though it does make the wood stronger.

You can get by with a laminate back guitar but not a laminate top.

Guitar Hack
03-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Wood vibrates and with solid wood it is allowed to do this well because there is not impediment to the movement of the wood. With Laminate you have the grain going in two directions. This impedes the movement of the wood though it does make the wood stronger.

You can get by with a laminate back guitar but not a laminate top.

Your best bet is a solid wood guitar. Look at the Parkwood 310M, The Blueridge BR-140 or the Epiphone Masterbilt. All in the 300-500 range. Especially so if you can find the used.

Great guitars and much better than any laminate guitar.