just seen crossroads guitar festival, have a question

PDA

View Full Version : just seen crossroads guitar festival, have a question

Babylou
03-25-2008, 03:59 PM
hey, i was just watching the crossroads dvd (1st one) and on Doyle Bramhall's lefty strat, is it me or are his treble strings were the bass strings should be and vice versa? please could someone shed some light on this for me? much appreciated,
Lewis

ze monsta
03-25-2008, 04:01 PM
If they were, he wasn't the first. Some people just learn left handed that way.

MONSTA EDIT:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/DoyleBramhallIICrossroads2007.jpg/475px-DoyleBramhallIICrossroads2007.jpg

I think it's just how he learned.

david_highland
03-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm not to keen on that guy, he's kick ass if he's who I'm thinking of, and if he is then yes he's playing a righty guitar lefty.

Babylou
03-25-2008, 04:18 PM
right thats what i thought, is there any advantage what so ever in they way he plays because if the treble strings are on top, that means he has less access because the upper horn is further out?

ze monsta
03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Probably not in the long run. He's a world class guitarist, obviously, and it's just how he's learned. I don't think he did it to be different or anything. I wouldn't recommend it is that's what you are thinking.

TheDev01dOne
03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
No advantages, I don't think it would've been a conscious decision to play that way.. His dad is (was) a famous blues guy too so I think he probably just learned by playing his dad's guitars.

He's a pretty good player, I suppose you have to be to be Clapton's rhythm guitarist.

aetherspear
03-25-2008, 04:38 PM
a few others did this too like Albert King and Dick Dale (i think).

TheDev01dOne
03-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Hendrix could play this way aswell as regular LH stringing.

imgooley
03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Hendrix could play this way aswell as regular LH stringing.
Hendrix could play with his tongue while the guitar was between his legs, standing on one foot, while singing.

aetherspear
03-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Hendrix could play with his tongue while the guitar was between his legs, standing on one foot, while singing.

as could guitar slim, t-bone walker, and buddy guy.

imgooley
03-25-2008, 06:18 PM
as could guitar slim, t-bone walker, and buddy guy.
As well as chuck berry

TheDev01dOne
03-25-2008, 06:28 PM
I know we're getting off-topic but I think it's cool how Hendrix stole all these guys moves, especially Buddy Guys, but none of them care, it's like the ultimate compliment to them.. Imagine all the bitching that would happen if some metal player ripped off someone elses moves. It's so cool how everyone in blues is so laid back and don't have massive egos. Damn I love blues.

Mad_Rocker101
03-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Damn right, thing is metal still sounds about the same so i dont get why they make a fuss about things like moves. Another reason to prefer blues.

sLaShRoCks1314
03-26-2008, 02:44 AM
I know we're getting off-topic but I think it's cool how Hendrix stole all these guys moves, especially Buddy Guys, but none of them care, it's like the ultimate compliment to them.. Imagine all the bitching that would happen if some metal player ripped off someone elses moves. It's so cool how everyone in blues is so laid back and don't have massive egos. Damn I love blues.

thats my favorite thing about this forum too... no hate
if you watch the hendrix "hear my train comin'" DVD. some guy talks about how when he saw jimi and he was doing his move (something with feedback) and he thought it was awesome too

matt92l
03-26-2008, 12:51 PM
No advantages, I don't think it would've been a conscious decision to play that way.. His dad is (was) a famous blues guy too so I think he probably just learned by playing his dad's guitars.

He's a pretty good player, I suppose you have to be to be Clapton's rhythm guitarist.
i seen an interview with doyle and he says that one of the advantages of playing this way is that its alot easier to bend the strings allowing him to "milk them better"

just to clear it up im a massive bramhall fan :D

Beakwithteeth
03-26-2008, 08:05 PM

Amen brother. Nothing but respect in this forum.

imgooley
03-27-2008, 03:02 AM
Since we're talkin Crossroads festival, who do you want to see at the next one?