drop C 7 string tuning

PDA

View Full Version : drop C 7 string tuning

djmay71
03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
ok, so my band has decided that for all of our original stuff we're planning on using mostly drop C tuning. my only problem is i'll be getting a 7 string guitar soon enough and i was just wondering how you'd tune up a 7 string for a drop C sound. thanks UG

Kingyem0c0re
03-27-2008, 11:39 AM
It'd probably be ACGCFAd or GCGCFAd I think?

djmay71
03-27-2008, 11:41 AM
so the added 7th string would be tuned to either A or G? thanks.

webbtje
03-27-2008, 11:41 AM
It would be GCGCFAD (bottom to top).

Otherwise, you could go Devin Townsend style and tune it in Open C with a low G on the bottom; that is, GCGCGCE.

hooker72005
03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
You could go to Drop G. GCGCFAD

djmay71
03-27-2008, 11:45 AM
It would be GCGCFAD (bottom to top).

Otherwise, you could go Devin Townsend style and tune it in Open C with a low G on the bottom; that is, GCGCGCE.
so now your saying you tune it either way to G?

steven seagull
03-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Honest answer?

Stick with 6 strings - I can just tell you're going to confuse the hell out of yourself with a 7.

The whole point of a 7 string is that you don't need to drop tune becasue you've already got the lower notes, the low B is already a half step lower. If you're going to play in drop C plus a low G then there's no point getting one because you're not making any practical use of the extra string. If you need to play retards powerchords you can drop the low B to an A if you have to, but you're completely missing the point of a 7 string.

AEADGBE

webbtje
03-27-2008, 11:52 AM
so now your saying you tune it either way to G?

Yup. Tuning it to A would be silly to be honest, intervals would be messed up... this is coming from a guy who plays in an open tuning for metal.

Honest answer?

Stick with 6 strings - I can just tell you're going to confuse the hell out of yourself with a 7.

Why is it you're always right? :p:

Nightfyre
03-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Honest answer?

The whole point of a 7 string is that you don't need to drop tune becasue you've already got the lower notes, the low B is already a half step lower. If you're going to play in drop C plus a low G then there's no point getting one because you're not making any practical use of the extra string. If you need to play retards powerchords you can drop the low B to an A if you have to, but you're completely missing the point of a 7 string.

AEADGBE
Winner!
Seriously, stick to the 6 string.

z4twenny
03-27-2008, 04:58 PM
i was going to say

"if you're dead set on a 7 string, use standard tuning and capo the first fret for C standard tuning"

EZLN libertad
03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
zomg you dont have too 'cause it goes lower than a C tuned 6 string, or what z4twenny said.

Avedas
03-27-2008, 06:43 PM
:rolleyes:

^EZLN libertad: Don't steal my sig please.

isaac_bandits
03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
i was going to say

"if you're dead set on a 7 string, use standard tuning and capo the first fret for C standard tuning"

I would've said Drop A, and capo 3... Most people like Drop X for easy power chords more than lower notes.

webbtje
03-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I would've said Drop A, and capo 3... Most people like Drop X for easy power chords more than lower notes.

Most people who actually know how to play guitar do it because it opens up new intervals.

Avedas
03-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Most people who actually know how to play guitar do it because it opens up new intervals.

ie. Not metalcore people.

Opeth uses them awesomely.

webbtje
03-27-2008, 08:04 PM
How could you forget Devin Townsend (well, open tunings) and Nile?

Shame on you, sir! *glare*

Made even worse when I took a look at your avatar :p:

isaac_bandits
03-27-2008, 08:06 PM

And with him thinking there is such thing as a "drop C" sound, I have made the assumption that he wouldn't know much about how to use it other than for powerchords.

webbtje
03-27-2008, 08:08 PM
It's a fair cop :p:

Avedas
03-27-2008, 08:10 PM
How could you forget Devin Townsend (well, open tunings) and Nile?

Shame on you, sir! *glare*

Made even worse when I took a look at your avatar :p:

OPEN TUNING =/= DROP TUNING!!! :)

Nile's awesome though. Just not this. (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=KhNAwWQXkq8) :haha

webbtje
03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
The four-finger diminished thingy rules!

And I play in Open C half a step down, soooooooooo yeah.

bangoodcharlote
03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Is it that you want the low B string to be a C and then the rest of the strings confuse you?

isaac_bandits
03-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Is it that you want the low B string to be a C and then the rest of the strings confuse you?

I think that would Fxck up the tension on his high e... Or he could go an octave down and piss off the bassist.

TheShred201
03-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Various tuning possibilities:

GCGCFAD
ACGCFAD
CFA#D#G#CF
CGCFADG (adding a higher string)
CGCFA#DG (again adding a higher string).

Lots of stuff you could do.

LiquidSkies
03-28-2008, 04:58 AM
You could tune also the low B-string up to C...yes the same note as the E-string.
Which means: CCGCFAD-Tuning.

Gives you the possibility to play doubled single note riffs, I did something like this on a six string once when I attempted an DDDAAD-tuning for the fun of it.
Actually I think Wes Borland does tune his guitar similar...with the same note twice on the low strings.

isaac_bandits
03-28-2008, 11:54 PM
You could tune also the low B-string up to C...yes the same note as the E-string.
Which means: CCGCFAD-Tuning.

Gives you the possibility to play doubled single note riffs, I did something like this on a six string once when I attempted an DDDAAD-tuning for the fun of it.
Actually I think Wes Borland does tune his guitar similar...with the same note twice on the low strings.

For seconds, thirds and unisons?

To me it doesn't seem particularly useful.

xKnifekillerx
11-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I thought Drop D flat Was Drop G on a seven string?
I know thats what mike from staind uses.

Eb
Bb
Gb
Db
Ab
Db
G#

am i right?

DarkMeteora
01-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Friends in the tuning ACGCFAD will be
D|- D|-