compilations

PDA

View Full Version : compilations

barefootboy
03-28-2008, 07:45 PM
There's a kid at work (a strict pop rock fan) that asked if I would recomend a blues disk for a first timer. I gave him a copy of "Everyday I Have The Blues". He wondered if the were any other compilations that I would recomend. I like "Jukebox Hits-the Blues" but it is a 4 disc set. So my question to you is, What is your favorite blues compilation.

theneildeal
03-28-2008, 07:58 PM
i don't buy compilations. Albums tell stories, whereas compilations are just a list of someone's favourite songs.

2 words: Flood & Texas.

if you rearrange them, you'll get the name of a great album, which is perfect for blues virgins

Andrewbiles
03-28-2008, 08:07 PM
The 'Desperate man blues' soundtrack was pretty good from what I can remember. Has Robert Johnson, Son House, Blind Willie McTell... can't remember any more.

imgooley
03-28-2008, 08:11 PM
You could start him out with the soundtrack to Black Snake Moan. It would probably be easier to give him a copy of Led Zeppelin I though.

barefootboy
03-28-2008, 08:18 PM
i don't buy compilations. Albums tell stories, whereas compilations are just a list of someone's favourite songs.

2 words: Flood & Texas.

if you rearrange them, you'll get the name of a great album, which is perfect for blues virgins

As a rule I would agree (I like Texas Flood ALOT), but I am trying to broaden his musicial listening. Right now, if it doesn't have a MTV video, it is worth listening to in his eyes. So I am trying to capture a variety of styles and musicians. Then maybe he'll find something to spark a deeper interest. I have a friend that believes that the blues start and end with George Thorogood. When he finds something that interests him, I'll start to recomend albums (CD's for you youngters).

imgooley
03-28-2008, 08:21 PM
George Thorogood= Lots and Lots of cover songs. The best course of action would be to get a bunch of songs that he listens to and get the songs that they are based off(meaning that every thing comes from the blues) or you could just burn him a cd of some great ones

barefootboy
03-29-2008, 08:47 AM
^ that may be the way I have to go. Not that it would be bad. His mucsical choices make it harder. Weezer, Pink, Queen of the Stone Age, My Chemical Romance, Sammy Hagar, Franz Ferdinand, Green Day, and Collective Soul, I forgot Neil Young too. I have to admit to owning something from all of those folks but that's not all I listen to. I guess it's time to dig out the vinyl and cd's and make a compilation.

Mr.Cuddles
03-29-2008, 09:26 AM
get him into some blues rock then the blues will follow, I know thats how it happened for me...
i heard a little clapton and a Blusier skynard song, then BB and Thorogood, eventually SRV and so on...
in roughly that order...
if he figured out how much blues are the influence of his favorite bands, he'd look em up to.