Joe Bonamassa

PDA

View Full Version : Joe Bonamassa

Yahtzee
03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I love this guy, he's an amazing guitarist. Anyone else heard of him?

Dimebag22
03-30-2008, 07:13 PM
We already got a couple threads here for him, buddy.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568257&highlight=Bonamassa

webbtje
03-30-2008, 07:17 PM
What Dimebag22 said. He is awesome though.

sLaShRoCks1314
03-30-2008, 09:10 PM
my favorite song is miss you hate you
and long distance blues

gopherthegreat
03-31-2008, 01:35 PM
hes my favorite modern bluesmen, because to me he doesnt sound like hes just copying everyone else like almost everyone in the scene is right now (keyword right there is almost)

GnikNus
03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
i just picked up you and me yesterday and i like it. any suggestions on what is should pick up next?

GnikNus
04-08-2008, 05:22 PM
also, does he use a pick?

Carswell98
04-08-2008, 05:30 PM
also, does he use a pick?

yes he does

and you should get Sloe Gin, and/or A New Day Yesterday Live

imgooley
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Blues Deluxe is also good^

GnikNus
04-08-2008, 11:02 PM
all right, thanks, i'll check those out

TheDev01dOne
04-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I like him, get his 'Live at Rockpalast' DVD it's really good. He has an awesome bass player.

I think TBH he's a tiny bit 'shreddy' though but I suppose you can't blame him for having good technique.

I love his slide playing, "Down By The River" is a killer song.

Carswell98
04-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I like him, get his 'Live at Rockpalast' DVD it's really good. He has an awesome bass player.

I think TBH he's a tiny bit 'shreddy' though but I suppose you can't blame him for having good technique.

I love his slide playing, "Down By The River" is a killer song.

I like that he pushes the boundaries a little, it makes him a very interesting person to listen to.

BluesLP1990
04-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Bonamassa amazes me over and over again. Sure, he's got some speed in his pocket. He was singled out as a guitar prodigy type as a young kid. It's amazing to me that he's chose to stick to his blues, but damn is it a good thing that he did. I don't think he ever uses his speed in places it's not needed.

"Highwater Everywhere" & "One of these days" are my current favorites.

Carswell98
04-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Bonamassa amazes me over and over again. Sure, he's got some speed in his pocket. He was singled out as a guitar prodigy type as a young kid. It's amazing to me that he's chose to stick to his blues, but damn is it a good thing that he did. I don't think he ever uses his speed in places it's not needed.

"Highwater Everywhere" & "One of these days" are my current favorites.

yeah, the guy is amazing

I mean, he used to play with Danny Gatton, you gotta be a little bit quick to keep up with that guy :haha

his current style in very Eric Johnson influenced, (maybe a little too much even) but even so, he is amazing.

He has a very good philosophy for playing, and that also makes me like him, though he does seem like he has a bit of an ego :p:

imgooley
04-10-2008, 10:49 PM
The thing I like most about him is his slide playing. He mixes a Ry Cooder style with EJ licks.

Carswell98
04-10-2008, 10:51 PM
The thing I like most about him is his slide playing. He mixes a Ry Cooder style with EJ licks.

yeah, he doesn't play slide very often though :sad:

I'd say he is up there with Trucks too

ze monsta
04-11-2008, 03:34 PM
He's obviously incredible but I find generally he plays to many notes for me.

Carswell98
04-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't know that there is such a thing for myself, I think as long as the notes are played tastefully, and not just wanked, more power to you.

imgooley
04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I agree with Braedon. No matter how hard you try, you can't fake the blues. Whether or not he plays too fast is up to the interpreter, but what stands out the most is the dynamic nature of his playing.

Carswell98
04-15-2008, 04:25 AM
I agree with Braedon. No matter how hard you try, you can't fake the blues. Whether or not he plays too fast is up to the interpreter, but what stands out the most is the dynamic nature of his playing.

YEAH!

<_<

>_>

I've been listening to a ****load of JB lately

imgooley
04-15-2008, 04:27 AM
I was too, like last month. It's Monk, Mingus and Montgomery right now for me.

Carswell98
04-15-2008, 04:28 AM
I was too, like last month. It's Monk, Mingus and Montgomery right now for me.

it's been JB, Gov't Mule and right now, some lightning hopkins :)

imgooley
04-15-2008, 04:29 AM
I just bought a Lightnin Hopkins record, too.

ze monsta
04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I've been diggin Lightnin' Hopkins recently.

And I agree with you two, he's clearly an incredible talent, but I don't dig his style, because I'm a fan of Delta blues and I find his playing to aggressive for my tastes. But I can still respect skill and obviously his passion. One thing I do like about the man however, is his incredible taste in LPs. I quite like his voice, it's got a gruffness but it's also got a smooth quality to it, it reminds me off Mayer, but it's more powerful and interesting than Mayer's.

imgooley
04-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Well, I think he's classified as Texas Blues, but he sounds more akin to Juke Joint blues to me.

Wait, wasn't this the Joe Bonamassa thread? Does anyone know how to play Blues Deluxe?

ze monsta
04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Dude, you've been here long enough to know every thread in here goes off topic within a day!

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:02 PM

:wtf:

Carswell98
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, I think he's classified as Texas Blues, but he sounds more akin to Juke Joint blues to me.

Wait, wasn't this the Joe Bonamassa thread? Does anyone know how to play Blues Deluxe?

no

seriously, if anyone in this forum can play that solo I'd **** myself

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Me too. The volume swells are killer on that. I can hardly do them at all, let alone that fast.

Carswell98
04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Me too. The volume swells are killer on that. I can hardly do them at all, let alone that fast.

I've never even attempted it, because his solos are all impossible for me to replicate :(

the only JB songs I can play (so far) are Ball Peen Hammer, Bits of the live Mountain Time intro, when the sun goes down(because it doesn't have a solo)

I'm actually proud that I can play his live version of Steppin' Out by John Mayall, god that took forever to learn :(

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I've been working on If Heartaches Were Nickels for like, 6 months.

Carswell98
04-15-2008, 02:29 PM
I've been working on If Heartaches Were Nickels for like, 6 months.

haha

seriously, I'm going to find a way to extract his talent in liquid form

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:30 PM
From his penis?

Carswell98
04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
From his penis?

if need be :o

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
:haha

fenderdude06
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
joe bonamasa has had a great influence on my playing, a bit of a wanker sometimes though.

imgooley
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
how so?

Carswell98
04-15-2008, 09:59 PM
^ Yeah, what?

imgooley
06-21-2008, 04:39 AM
Bump.

And with this bump, I leave you with an awesome vid.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i2KWSG9T2M8

Axegrinder#9
06-23-2008, 12:21 AM
yeah saw JB yesterday at the RochesterJazzfest. This guy's guitar sound is so big and nasty, he made feel like Godzilla. Damn right this guy can play the blues, but there's nothing wrong than adding that extra dose of high octane rock edge to it. This guy can tear it up real mean, but what blew me away was his mastery over the acoustic guitar. He did a wicked solo spot with his acoustic guitar and laid some **** down, but never lost the groove. I'm hooked onto this guy fo sho.

eXperiment63
06-23-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm hoping to see him in October in Foxboro. He has the best tone around IMO, as far as blues/blues-rock goes. Not to mention he is just flat out amazing.

Thefallofman
06-23-2008, 05:36 PM
I saw him last night, and it got rained out after 3 or 4 songs. We were told to go to our cars and wait for the storms to pass. So we went back and the venue people said "keep your tickets, the show is going to be made up in August but he's going to play this last song" (we showed up at the end of the first song he did when they finally let him come back out).

So we get back down and Joe plays Sloe Gin... and it was ****ing incredible. Then he asks if he can do one more, so he does (I'm a noob and don't know what it was)... then he does the same thing again, and again. Finally he launched into the Just Got Paid/Dazed and Confused medley and was obviously having a blast. He was on fire, and all over the stage. The drummer was throwing sticks up in the air and the sound guy was running around trying to catch them and the band sounded incredible.

I don't know if they're that good every night, but they were noticeably more "on" after the rain and those last 3 songs were absolutely mind blowing. The performances, energy and the way the band acted were unbeatable. It's great to see a group of guys go out there and have a blast while putting on a great show. I can't wait for the makeup day.

I'm pretty new to Joe's music, but I have no doubt in my mind that he's one of the best guitarists out there today and he, along with a few others give me hope for the future of guitar, blues and rock.

imgooley
06-23-2008, 06:34 PM
^Well put sir.

mooselord
06-27-2008, 02:31 PM
I saw him last night, and it got rained out after 3 or 4 songs. We were told to go to our cars and wait for the storms to pass. So we went back and the venue people said "keep your tickets, the show is going to be made up in August but he's going to play this last song" (we showed up at the end of the first song he did when they finally let him come back out).

So we get back down and Joe plays Sloe Gin... and it was ****ing incredible. Then he asks if he can do one more, so he does (I'm a noob and don't know what it was)... then he does the same thing again, and again. Finally he launched into the Just Got Paid/Dazed and Confused medley and was obviously having a blast. He was on fire, and all over the stage. The drummer was throwing sticks up in the air and the sound guy was running around trying to catch them and the band sounded incredible.

I don't know if they're that good every night, but they were noticeably more "on" after the rain and those last 3 songs were absolutely mind blowing. The performances, energy and the way the band acted were unbeatable. It's great to see a group of guys go out there and have a blast while putting on a great show. I can't wait for the makeup day.

I'm pretty new to Joe's music, but I have no doubt in my mind that he's one of the best guitarists out there today and he, along with a few others give me hope for the future of guitar, blues and rock.

Would you happen to live in Dayton, Ohio? I was at that show as well.