The Jazz Sax Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Jazz Sax Thread

imgooley
03-31-2008, 04:14 AM
Since we are so few in this little speakeasy of ours, lets condense the Jazz sax player discussion into one thread. Why you may ask? Because I was looking for a Sonny Rollins thread, and was unable to find one. I also seriously doubt that there is an Ornette Coleman thread or even a Charlie Parker thread so let's talk about the Sax, man.

Personally I am really diggin into Sonny Rollins lately.

ze monsta
03-31-2008, 04:16 AM
I thought it said The Jazz Sex Thread. :haha

:sad:

I have several friends who play sax in the school jazz band (they are real good, and the youngest in it.) So I've always thought of having some like Blues band with em, but never really mentioned it. It was kinda apart of my Ultimate band made of my friends that played instruments...

imgooley
03-31-2008, 04:18 AM
ha

:wtf:

Carswell98
03-31-2008, 05:39 AM
I used to play sax

:sad:

nightraven
03-31-2008, 06:17 AM
dexter gordon :)

best tenor saxophonist there is :)

biased644
03-31-2008, 06:39 PM
I play Baritone sax, so go Gerry Mulligan!!!! I like his Little Big Horn album, cool beans!

theneildeal
03-31-2008, 06:42 PM
You can't get much better than "Coltrane on drugs" sax. After he kicked the habit, his experimentation just got weird. But for me, sax is the best jazz instrument. I regret stopping my sax lessons when i was younger.

GD_GC
03-31-2008, 07:38 PM
I've played sax for 5 years now, and I love it. I'm probably gonna take it to college and use it as my principle instrument when I major in music ed and composition.

And jazz is amazing. I'm not very good at it, but I'm learning. I just was at jazz band today at school actually. It is an amazing instrument.

:cheers:

Nick_
03-31-2008, 09:51 PM
dexter gordon :)

best tenor saxophonist there is :)

He was a huge influence on Coltrane - that's how most people discover him.

While Eric Dolphy is best known for his work on the bass clarinet, I dig his tenor work, as well as everything he did with the Coltrane quartet and Mingus (I disagree with an above post too - I VASTLY prefer the wild, religious, post-heroin Coltrane)

Cannonball Adderly: Call me crazy, but on Kind of Blue I prefer his playing to Coltrane's. It's just so unbelievably melodic.

MrBlues
04-06-2008, 06:00 PM
How much would you be looking to pay for a good sax, probably alto or tenor?

GD_GC
04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
A good one? At least $2500 for an alto, I'm not too familiar with Tenors.

biased644
04-06-2008, 07:47 PM
A good one? At least $2500 for an alto, I'm not too familiar with Tenors.

yah, altos $2000 and up

Tenors $2500 and up

Cannonballs are cheaper and really awesome (newer models) check em out! I have one, great intonation and action, sounds great, plus the finish on it is awesome!

MrBlues
04-07-2008, 05:25 AM
cool thanks!

wow thats alot i think ill stick with guitar.

or buy a crap one.

Resiliance
04-07-2008, 06:54 AM
You can get a good student model for 'round about $700.

Unless you're fairly advanced, that's all you'll be needing anyway.

meh!
04-07-2008, 01:28 PM
*unrelated*

I want a baritone sax for my band...

We have trumpet and tenor at the mo....BUT I WANNA BARITONE *greets*

imgooley
04-07-2008, 01:52 PM
This thread need moar Charlie Parker

MrBlues
04-08-2008, 03:19 AM
You can get a good student model for 'round about $700.

Unless you're fairly advanced, that's all you'll be needing anyway.

sounds good to me!

do you know of any good brands at that price?

Axegrinder#9
04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
You can't get much better than "Coltrane on drugs" sax. After he kicked the habit, his experimentation just got weird. But for me, sax is the best jazz instrument. I regret stopping my sax lessons when i was younger.

he kicked the harder stuff, but started dropping acid ;)

and even though for me music in general at times seems to start and end with Coltrane (and I'm not even a sax player), but here's to the new brood of jazz musicians:

Joshua Redman, ftw

Resiliance
04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
sounds good to me!

do you know of any good brands at that price?

Yamaha tends to get rave reviews more than any other brand in the low price range. The old YAS21 and now YAS-275 seem to be well liked by pretty much everyone.

You're better off having a look what this guy has to say though, he knows more about it than me: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/

Nightfyre
04-12-2008, 09:28 PM
I play Baritone sax, so go Gerry Mulligan!!!! I like his Little Big Horn album, cool beans!
Ha, my gf (a sax player, mostly bari and tenor) got me into him. Fantastic stuff.
I don't play sax, so I'm not as familiar as I should be with the jazz saxophonists... my collection basically consists of Charlie Parker (of course), Sonny Rollins, Cannonball Adderly, John Coltrane, and Gerry Mulligan. Looks like this thread is a fine place to start expanding from though!

imgooley
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Sonny Rollins is definitely my favorite.

Any suggestions on an Ornette Coleman record?

Nick_
04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Free Jazz is a standard pick, an essential (the other is Ascension) and defining article of the movement it gives a name to.

At The Golden Circle I and II are really, really brilliant; grab them if you can.

Axegrinder#9
04-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Chris Potter - he does good things too. If anyone has any of his live recordings with Chris Potter's Underground - please hit me back.

peace.

kevinm4435
04-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Free Jazz is a standard pick, an essential (the other is Ascension) and defining article of the movement it gives a name to.

Ascension is a Coltrane album, though heavily influenced by Coleman's Free Jazz.

If you like free jazz, check out Albert Ayler.

Nick_
04-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Ascension is a Coltrane album, though heavily influenced by Coleman's Free Jazz.

If you like free jazz, check out Albert Ayler.

I know - what I meant is that the two are free jazz core albums.

Also, if you have iTunes and like post-bop and free jazz, the "DI.fm modern jazz" channel plays a lot of it.

Slash 602
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I love Coltrane, Rollins, Cannonball, etc. I don't mind Parker either, but I find it hard to listen to him extensively as most of his music sound more or less the same. But I do admit that he's one beast of an improviser.

Edit: Anybody like Bob Mintzer?

Resiliance
04-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Bob Mintzer is great.

imgooley
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Who is another good tenor player?

aetherspear
05-30-2008, 12:13 PM
My favorites are George Coleman, Stan Getz, Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane, Hank Mobley, Charlie Parker, and Paul Desmond.

Resiliance
05-30-2008, 08:40 PM
^Charlie Parker, Cannonball Adderley, and Paul Desmond played alto ;)

As for my favorites that spring to mind: Ben Webster, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz, Joshua Redman, Michael Brecker, Sonny Rollins, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, Eric Dolphy, Zoot Sims, Jeff Coffin, Charles Lloyd, Stanley Turrentine, Grover Washington Jr., Sonny Stitt, Steve Tavaglione ...

imgooley
05-30-2008, 08:41 PM
^I need to get my hands on some Lester Young. I have heard some of the stuff that he did with Billie Holiday, and I really liked it.

Resiliance
05-30-2008, 08:42 PM
^I need to get my hands on some Lester Young. I have heard some of the stuff that he did with Billie Holiday, and I really liked it.

Yeah, Lester was a big influence on Stan Getz too, they sound pretty similar. Well, who wasn't he an influence on, of course... ;)

Trivia: did you know "Goodbye Porkpie Hat", Charles Mingus' beautiful jazz ballad, was written about Lester Young, when he heard about his passing? :)

imgooley
05-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Really? Kinda that more traditional New Orleans/Swing sound?

EDIT- No, I didn't know that.

Also, do you know the guitar player that played with Sonny Rollins on The Bridge album (specifically John S.)?

Resiliance
05-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Really? Kinda that more traditional New Orleans/Swing sound?

Nah... I'd say more the way they played ballads and in general... Kind of the way they both sound like they're whispering in your ear. Very velvet-like... If you get what I mean.

A very breathy, warm saxophone tone.

Edit: the guitar player on The Bridge? Isn't that Jim Hall?

imgooley
05-30-2008, 08:47 PM
I got you. Kinda the same aesthetic as Billie Holiday's voice?

and thanks for the Rollins info. That's probably my second favorite Jazz album.

Resiliance
05-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I got you. Kinda the same aesthetic as Billie Holiday's voice?

I suppose so, yes. Another player I very much feel sounds like this is Ben Webster. I thusly also think Ben Webster and Stan Getz are the two best balladeers there are in jazz.

aetherspear
05-30-2008, 10:12 PM
^Charlie Parker, Cannonball Adderley, and Paul Desmond played alto ;)
I wasn't replying, I was just saying in general that they're awesome. I forgot Lester Young too, he's great.

Joey-Tribiani
06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Saxophone is an awsome instrument, but i can barely play mine...
i really like Chris Potter, that guy is insane!
a few others i like are ofcourse coltrane, rollins, and charlie parker.
you should hear classical music played on a sax.now thats what i call awsome

imgooley
06-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I suppose so, yes. Another player I very much feel sounds like this is Ben Webster. I thusly also think Ben Webster and Stan Getz are the two best balladeers there are in jazz.
I'm listening to some Stan Getz right now. That cat can blow!

Nick_
06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_qFpB8gFjE

Some Stan for y'all