Suggestions on beggning blues songs?

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on beggning blues songs?

Breglia
03-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey there,

I have been meaning to learn how to play the blues lately, but keep putting it off. Well here I am. Does anyone have any good suggestion on what I could play to get myself started on the whole blues scene? I'm not too new to guitar, but still am learning my chops =)

My gear is a Epiphone SG and a Fender 185 amp (Pretty freaking loud!)

Thanks guys!

gopherthegreat
03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
improv over a lot of blues songs, and learn their licks so you can steal them

Dimebag22
03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I've used this quite a few times. I typed it out for a certain thread, and it seems that it could benefit you :)

Ok, first it would be a very, very good idea to learn the basic theory of the blues. Then, once you have that down, try looking at certain songs and you will find that many of these songs use the exact same theory as you just learned.

So it would be really great if you learn the basic spread rhythm that goes I, IV, V. So if you were in E, the I chord would be E obviously, the IV chord would be A, and the V chord would be B. So a basic spread rhythm in E would be:

D--------------------------2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4----------------------------------------
A----2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4
E----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-------------------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

D----2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4------------------------------------------
A----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4
E-------------------------------------------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

D----4-4-6-6-4-4-6-6--2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4------------------------4-4-6-6-4-4-6-6
A----2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4--2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2
E--------------------------------------------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---------------------

Now there are many different ways to play a 12 bar progression and this is just one of the ways. This way is Root for 1 bar, IV for 1 bar, root for 2 bars, IV for 2 bars, Root for 2 bars, V for 1 bar, IV for 1 bar, root for 1 bar, and then V for 1 bar.

You can also use this: root for 4 bars, IV for 2 bars, root for 2 bars, IV for 2 bars, than back to the root for 2 more bars. That makes 12 bars.

To get some good bass walking patterns try SRV's Pride And Joy, once you get the hang of this.

Then you should learn the blues scale and the pentatonic scale, this can be found here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/major_and_minor_pentatonic_scales.html)
and here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/blues_scales.html) Get this down! Know these scales by heart, it will help you out a lot when you jam with people or just improvising with a jam track.

Hope that helps you a little bit, I know you were asking for beginner songs to play, but once you get the hang of this you'll be smokin'!

:cheers:

bluestudent
03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Black Keys: Grown So Ugly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdMzsM2D-Co

http://www.theblackkeys.com/forum/index.php?topic=3246.0

sLaShRoCks1314
03-31-2008, 10:21 PM
+1 on the 12 bar blues, can't stress how important that is
also check out some of Jimi Hendrix's blues stuff, its pretty inspiring

imgooley
03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
If you want some blues that is easy to play but makes you want to play more and more, try some Black Keys.

Breglia
03-31-2008, 11:56 PM
Hm, I have never heard of these, "Black Keys" until now. They seem pretty popular here. I listened to them. The guitar was "alright" at best, but the lyrics......were lacking.

I hope I'm not mocking the whole blues community here. My blues would definately have to be Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, and the Pink Floyd guitarist( I can't put my finger on his name).

imgooley
04-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Well what Keys song did you listen to? I know that the guitar is simple, but lacking? In what way?

Breglia
04-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I listened to the song "Grown So Ugly".
Lacking in the way that, it didn't have any "umph" fills I enjoy listening too. It sounded like the same phrase he played over and over. It just got old, to me.

imgooley
04-01-2008, 01:11 AM
I listened to the song "Grown So Ugly".
Lacking in the way that, it didn't have any "umph" fills I enjoy listening too. It sounded like the same phrase he played over and over. It just got old, to me.
Fair enough saying that it didn't do anything for you, but to say that he lacks oomph is just wrong. On so many levels.

Listen to Leavin Trunk or Thickfreakness and tell me that it still lacks oomph

ze monsta
04-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Well, I guess you wanna play Chicago, Texas, or Blues Rock.
Kris (dimebag) already gave you the best starting point, so you could try loop that or something, and then solo over it.

gopherthegreat
04-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Hm, I have never heard of these, "Black Keys" until now. They seem pretty popular here. I listened to them. The guitar was "alright" at best, but the lyrics......were lacking.

I hope I'm not mocking the whole blues community here. My blues would definately have to be Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, and the Pink Floyd guitarist( I can't put my finger on his name).
david gilmour is amazing, but i wouldnt really call him a blues guitarist. his solos have some blues influence.

Breglia
04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
imgooley, Ill listen when I get a chance.

Ze monsta, I cant say which one of those it is, but If I would describe it, it would be moderate tempo blues, similar in style to this, http://youtube.com/watch?v=reuK2msTzec

Also, I don't want anyone thinking I think the Black Keys are a bad band. They are very talented and good for their genre of music and what they do, I just don't like the genre. Thanks for the tips so far everyone.

ze monsta
04-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Ze monsta, I cant say which one of those it is, but If I would describe it, it would be moderate tempo blues, similar in style to this, http://youtube.com/watch?v=reuK2msTzec

Also, I don't want anyone thinking I think the Black Keys are a bad band. They are very talented and good for their genre of music and what they do, I just don't like the genre. Thanks for the tips so far everyone.

Jeff Beck was apart of the British Blues Boom, so check out John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with EC, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Chicken Shack, The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Alexis Korner.

Theres probably more that I'm forgetting, but that's a good starting point. You like SRV, he's Texas Blues, BB King, Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters are Chicago Blues pioneers, and I'd say blues rock is stuff like Gary Moore (who I hate with a passion), and is in general more showy offy...

Enjoy.