Do you guys know any good amps for singing amplification ?

PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys know any good amps for singing amplification ?

The Masterplan
04-01-2008, 08:16 AM
We don't have an amp for our singer, so we hve to use a guitar amp which 1) sounds pretty bad, 2) starts feedbacking very quickly...

so we want to buy an amp exclusively for singing. first, what would be best: a PA amp + speakers, or a 'combo' specifically designed for singing (I don't know how they're called) ?

or perhaps a keyboard amp ? :confused:

then, do you have any recommendations ? I think 50 watts RMS is the bare minimum (we have a loud drummer), and our budget is pretty tight... around 300 dollars, but we're willing to go used, hell we WANT to go used.

any help is very much appreciated !!

dullsilver_mike
04-01-2008, 08:22 AM
I think most combo amps for singers are just called "portable" or "all in one" PAs. Pick whichever one is convenient for you, the full PA will be more versitile, but less mobile. A dirt cheap regular PA package is really no more expensive than a real portable PA, so I don't think price is an issue.

If you always practice in the same place I say get a real little PA, if you move around a lot get a portable.

If you get a cheap one, go for 100w rms at least, as they are pretty generously rated, and the built in equing is so limited it will be more difficult to cut through on proper equing alone (requiring some extra volume).

I say keep an eye open of craigslist, seems like here people are selling old PAs as often as they are guitars.

danielrobbyshor
04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
acoustic guitar amps are good for this kinda thing

The Masterplan
04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
I think most combo amps for singers are just called "portable" or "all in one" PAs. Pick whichever one is convenient for you, the full PA will be more versitile, but less mobile. A dirt cheap regular PA package is really no more expensive than a real portable PA, so I don't think price is an issue.

If you always practice in the same place I say get a real little PA, if you move around a lot get a portable.

If you get a cheap one, go for 100w rms at least, as they are pretty generously rated, and the built in equing is so limited it will be more difficult to cut through on proper equing alone (requiring some extra volume).

I say keep an eye open of craigslist, seems like here people are selling old PAs as often as they are guitars.
what do you mean, more versatile ?

we don't have craigslist here, so do you have any recommendations for an amp (i'll be checking ebay for it ) ?

HUNYeti
04-01-2008, 08:38 AM
I recomand an active speker, we have a behringer active speaker (EUROLIVE B215A, it is 400 watt peak an about 225w rms) it has a built in mic preamp, this thing is great if your budget is tight, and it's quality very good for the price
Heres the link
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B215A-Active-2Way-Loudspeaker?sku=600734

The Masterplan
04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I recomand an active speker, we have a behringer active speaker (EUROLIVE B215A, it is 400 watt peak an about 225w rms) it has a built in mic preamp, this thing is great if your budget is tight, and it's quality very good for the price
Heres the link
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B215A-Active-2Way-Loudspeaker?sku=600734
woah, so we don't need a separate preamp and power amp, just the mic straight into that ?

HUNYeti
04-01-2008, 08:59 AM
yes, just the mic straigt in to the Active speaker

The Masterplan
04-01-2008, 09:01 AM
ok, thank you. do you guys only have one of those or two ? if you have one, does it spread the sound well enough ?

slatsmania
04-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Look for a small PA system. Most of them will be 300W or more, which is more in line with the wattage you should be looking for. You might be able to find a used DJ set-up in your price range. Keep your eyes open. If you don't have a Craig's List, maybe you have some pawn shops nearby? Plenty of out of work DJ's by me looking to pay the rent. :p:

Good luck.

HUNYeti
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
We have only one of them, sometimes it would be good if we had 2 of them, but we dont have money, but for band practice it's more than enoug

Kendall
04-01-2008, 09:17 AM
A keyboard amp will suffice, but investing in a small PA would be preferable.

I'm currently using a Traynor K4 as both a keyboard amp and vocal monitor and it's magnificent.

The Masterplan
04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Look for a small PA system. Most of them will be 300W or more, which is more in line with the wattage you should be looking for. You might be able to find a used DJ set-up in your price range. Keep your eyes open. If you don't have a Craig's List, maybe you have some pawn shops nearby? Plenty of out of work DJ's by me looking to pay the rent. :p:

Good luck.
do you mean 50 watts minimum won't cut it, and i need something around 300 watts instead ?
with a pa system, do you mean, a preamp, poweramp, and a set of speakers ?

moody07747
04-01-2008, 12:12 PM
singing amps are referred to as a PA which is a powered mixer, passive speakers, speaker stands, mics and cables...

if you go below $500 they are not worth buying (talking about new rigs at this price range, keep an eye out on ebay)
I use the behringer XK1200 in my studio, works and sounds great, has been on for a full 24 hours once and has never given me a single problem....well it is $70 so thats a problem in my mind...

great for general PA use and works great on my e-drums (what I originally got it for).

they are not made anymore so keep an eye out on craigslist.org or ebay.
you should be able to get one for $200 or less used.

slatsmania
04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
do you mean 50 watts minimum won't cut it, and i need something around 300 watts instead ?
with a pa system, do you mean, a preamp, poweramp, and a set of speakers ?

I'm talking about a pre & power amp in one package, with a pair of speakers to go along with it.

And, yeah, 50W on the vocals will have a really hard time keeping up with a band. I was rehearsing with a 200W system that struggled up against a pair of guitar amps, drums, and bass at relatively modest volumes.

The Masterplan
04-02-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm talking about a pre & power amp in one package, with a pair of speakers to go along with it.

And, yeah, 50W on the vocals will have a really hard time keeping up with a band. I was rehearsing with a 200W system that struggled up against a pair of guitar amps, drums, and bass at relatively modest volumes.
first off, thank you everyone for the responses :)

wow, are you sure that wasn't 200 watt peak instead of rms ?

slatsmania
04-02-2008, 09:23 AM
first off, thank you everyone for the responses :)

wow, are you sure that wasn't 200 watt peak instead of rms ?

Yes.

Figure it's up against a drum kit, a couple tube amps (30-50W, but moderate on the volume) and a bass rig. It's a lot for a singer to get over. You have to realize that 200W SS is not significantly louder than a 50W tube amp at all. You need the extra wattage just to get usable sound out of the vocals (you don't want ugly SS clipping from the PA).

I mean, you can certainly get by with a lot less just for practice, but if you want something for gigs, you need a little more. Better to get at least 200W now, rather than buying something too small and have to replace it that much sooner.

Brendan.Clace
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
We use a JC-120 at our band practices...

The Masterplan
04-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes.

Figure it's up against a drum kit, a couple tube amps (30-50W, but moderate on the volume) and a bass rig. It's a lot for a singer to get over. You have to realize that 200W SS is not significantly louder than a 50W tube amp at all. You need the extra wattage just to get usable sound out of the vocals (you don't want ugly SS clipping from the PA).

I mean, you can certainly get by with a lot less just for practice, but if you want something for gigs, you need a little more. Better to get at least 200W now, rather than buying something too small and have to replace it that much sooner.
alrighty. ty ;)