Fusion jazz

PDA

View Full Version : Fusion jazz

xSBx
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey guys I enjoy plain old jazz but its not something I tend to listen to alot, but on the other hand fusion jazz is more my thing. Can you guys recommend me some really good fusion bands.

Thanks,
xSBx

qotsa1998
04-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Spiro Gyra is supposed to be good, altho i havent really heard em much. Also, i would check out some artists like Pat Metheney or Al DiMeola.

diminishedtobme
04-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Tribal Tech

Scott Jones
04-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm a fusion player. Have been for 28 years. (Check my sig')

I'd recommend:

Scott Henderson: "Well to the Bone" ...Guitar C.D. of the decade as far as I'm concerned...VERY different from his earlier Tribal Tech playing and writing, but SO unbelievably deep and the clarity of his concept is scary...this moved me like no other disc in recent memory...

Allan Holdsworth: "All Night Wrong" ...his first live C.D. with HIS complete approval and control...stunning and definitive work from this revolutionary master...

Brett Garsed and T.J. Helmerich: "Uncle Moe's Space Ranch" ...some really fantastic playing, great vibe, incredible tones...

Pat Metheny: "Trio Live" ...simply breathtaking playing...

Lost Tribe: the first one and "Soulfish" ...good luck finding either of these, but if you can, it's worth the search...Adam Rogers is an amazing guitarist...these discs have a wide range of feels and linear depth...

Tribal Tech: "Face First", "Illicit", "Tribal Tech", "Reality Check" ...some of the most profoundly excellent and thoroughly composed fusion EVER...and the playing from everyone is beyond comprehension...some of Scott Henderson's finest work....

All the best,

Scott

xSBx
04-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks guy, I'll check them all out now!

fosho
04-03-2008, 11:29 PM
cant believe these guys werent mentioned

Return To Forever
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Weather Report

unless i misunderstood the request?

HoneyFUZZ_123
04-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Some robben ford and the yellow jackets is great too

Sly Taco
04-08-2008, 10:17 AM
+2 for Weather Report

Nightfyre
04-12-2008, 09:12 PM
cant believe these guys werent mentioned

Return To Forever
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Weather Report

unless i misunderstood the request?
+3
Speaking of which... RTF tour! :D Kinda jealous of my friend though... he got second-row seats. I got some a little farther back, still good seats, but second row... That and the fact that his dad and Chick Corea are old friends... why is it always my friends that know the awesome people and not me?!? :(

EDIT: For some heavier fusion, look up Planet X. Quantum in particular is a great album, Brett Garsed does most of the guitar on that album and Allan Holdsworth guests on 2 songs. Very heavy music (think jazz-metal here), but great stuff.

dividedsky
04-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Pretty standard fusion list:

Mahavishnu Orchestra
Weather Report
Miles (Fusion era)
Return to Forever
Brand X (featuring Phil Collins, but awesome)

Also check the following which may not all be directly considered jazz fusion (Though make no mistake it is):

Frank Zappa (very cool album is Roxy and Elsewhere)
Steely Dan (Aja, listen and love it)
Dave Douglass (modern Miles style stuff)

Kwesi
04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
first group i would suggest would probably be Sixun and their album's Lunatic Taxi and Nomads' Land. They're kind of hard to describe but their music has very obvious african influence but it's not overwhelming. They, of all the bands i know, really embody the term "fusion" because that put together so many styles of music. Check out their song State Streets on youtube (it's on the Lunatic Taxi Album).

Then there's Adam Nitti and his album Evidence (he has another but i can't find it). He's a bassist (GO US!!) so a lot of the music is bass-centric but it's not like Marcus Miller type stuff where it's all bass, all the time. The music makes every instrument shine and is really good on top of that. His stuff is fusion and takes a lot from funk in terms of heavy grooves. Tthere is slapping but it's not in your face, very tastefully done.

There's Casiopea, Trix, Dimension, T-Square, and Jimsaku, who, with the exception of trix, are all japanese. Casiopea was the first fusion band i was ever into and for good reason. All of they're members are great musicians and they're music, while arguably simpler groups like Tribal Tech or Return to Forever, is much more fun and good nonetheless. They lean towards a more pop-ish side of fusion. Trix is a Korean group that i know next to nothing about but after checking out their stuff on youtube i've been hunting down an album ( that doesn't cost $30 ;x). T-Square i similar to Casiopea and they have an entire DVD of collaboration songs which is awesome. In addition to a drummer, keyboards, bassists, and guitar, they have a saxaphone/ewi player (ewi's are like synth's but likened more to the design of a wind instrument, so you have to blwo into it). I just discovered Dimension yesterday but they rock. Another good one would be Kaori Kobayashi. I don't mean to hate but i have never been a big fan of the saxophone (mainly because of my disdain for smooth jazz) but she is without a doubt one of the most tasteful sax players around.

And There's Tony Grey, another bassist (WOOT!). His music is radically different in comparison to other fusion groups. His stuff has serious east asian influence but again, it's not overwhelming. His sound is also very unique, it's unmistakably a bass but at the same time it doesn't sound like one. Check him out at his site: tonygrey.com

here are some others that i seriously reccomend:

Scott Kinsey - great keyboardist.

Russ Miller - i actually don't know what this guy plays but i listened to snippets of the album on itunes and bought it nearly instantly.

Pat Metheny - Amazing guitarist, he can go from traditional jazz to fusion to rock in a split second and own them all. His fusion arrangements of jazz standards like Summertime are pieces of art.

Mike Stern - don't listen to him very often but i've never not liked what i've heard.

John Patitucci - another bassist (WOOT!) with a very unique sound. In my opinion the single most talented improvising bassist ever, that and he practically dances when he improvises.

Hiromi Uehara - awesome keyboardist who has a thing for thinking WAAY outside the box. she's really eclectic to, she'll play a piece that osunds like classical and then break down into jazz halfway thorugh and stuff. also check out her project Hiromi's Sonicbloom.

Dennis Chambers - I'm stupid when it coems to drumming but this guy is great and his albums are to. Alot of his projects are on the edge between fusion jazz and prog rock but their really good. He plays with alot of other fusion artists as a session drummer.

Dave Weckl - another great drummer his band has a very distinctive sound due to the sax and keys often playing in tandem. It almost sounds like a totally different instrument..in a good way.

THE THRILL - a experimental jazz group that did ALL of the music for the anime series Blue Sub No. 6. If Hiromi stretches the box, these guys tear it to shreds. I'm not even gonna try to explain what they do but, know that it's good. The funny thing though, is that the music is done by a big band which sounds simple enough but it's so different sometimes taking bits from acid jazz. I don't advocate stealing music but seriously the ONLY WAY you will find these guy's stuff without spending days on google is to download the Blue sub 6 OST Torrent, which you can find quick by googling it.

Greg Howe - awesome guitarist that did a lot of hair metal and neo-classical stuff before fusion. Listening to his albums from the first one will show you the drastic evolution of his music over time.

Axegrinder#9
04-13-2008, 08:52 PM
since no one has mentioned such, I'd recommend Jazz is Dead: Billy Cobham, T. Lavitz, Jimmy Herring and Alphonso Johnson, fusion giants playing Grateful Dead covers :cool: pretty heady stuff, definitely try to get hold of a live show of theirs.

Axegrinder#9
04-13-2008, 08:54 PM
first group i would suggest would probably be Sixun and their album's Lunatic Taxi and Nomads' Land. They're kind of hard to describe but their music has very obvious african influence but it's not overwhelming. They, of all the bands i know, really embody the term "fusion" because that put together so many styles of music. Check out their song State Streets on youtube (it's on the Lunatic Taxi Album).

sounds heavy man, but I couldn't find anything anywhere :(

Kwesi
04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
sounds heavy man, but I couldn't find anything anywhere :(

just type sixun into youtube, it should give you some videos. google should get you all the other info you need.

malokopeenow
04-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Some good ones already in here, but Guthrie Govan, John Scofield, John Abercrombie, and Shawn Lane are also some good ones that I don't think were mentioned yet.

Axegrinder#9
04-17-2008, 11:07 PM
yo guys, I downloaded couple of live shows;

Jimmy Herring/Jeff Sipe/ Bernie Worrell - Live playing an all improvised set at Wetlands, NY

Jonas Hellborg/ Shawn Lane/Jeff Sipe - playing on new year's eve '96 in NYC

Axegrinder#9
04-17-2008, 11:08 PM
^ that **** is ****ing nuts!