Your Overrated Influences.

PDA

View Full Version : Your Overrated Influences.

Colgate Total
04-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes, we all have them. We all love one band that is so overrated, it's sickening. And we love that band to no end, if it wasn't for them, we would probably all be listening to 50 Cent, and colouring tattoos on our arms with sharpies. Whether that band be Led Zeppelin, Metallica, or maybe even one of the newer trendy bands. We still love them.

My question to you is who is it?

For me, it would have to be Sabbath, Zeppelin, the Tallica boys, Chilli Peppers, and multiple others.

How about you?

manb3arpig
04-05-2008, 02:42 PM
i like avenged sevenfold..... :/

P-Bass Pirate
04-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Avenged Sevenfold

EDIT:^^^it's ok man

webbtje
04-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Carcass, Death, At the Gates.

jimRH7
04-05-2008, 02:45 PM
AC/DC, but frankly, they deserve the praise they get

Thebiz
04-05-2008, 02:48 PM
System Of A Down...I love them to death, but they are quite overrated among many people lately.

I also love Fall Out Boy, but ever since MTV got to them 12 year old fangirls have ruined their reputation as an original emo/pop-punk band.

Colgate Total
04-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Death, At the Gates.

Hardly overrated.

Sound of Perseverance and Slaughter of the Soul have got to be two of the best albums in death metal to this day. If anything those two bands are well deserving.

Carcass however does get a bit too much praise for Heartwork, despite Necroticism and Symphonies of Sickness being way better.

Guitarfreak777
04-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Avenged Sevenfold

and maybe someone can explain this one to me, it's one of my friends fav bands, he praises them to hell and back. Children of Bodom everytime I try to listen to them they give me a headache. The lead singer screams the same on EVERY song, even when screaming is not needed. Can someone explain his love of them to me?

Thebiz
04-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Avenged Sevenfold

and maybe someone can explain this one to me, it's one of my friends fav bands, he praises them to hell and back. Children of Bodom everytime I try to listen to them they give me a headache. The lead singer screams the same on EVERY song, even when screaming is not needed. Can someone explain his love of them to me?

The guitar.

everythingdies
04-05-2008, 07:53 PM
The guitar.

And the keyboard.

IcePh0enix
04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
For me, it would have to be Sabbath, Zeppelin, the Tallica boys, Chilli Peppers, and multiple others.
How the hell are these bands overrated?

Colgate Total
04-05-2008, 10:18 PM
How the hell are these bands overrated?

O_o

Have you been living under a rock, or do really not know?

IcePh0enix
04-05-2008, 11:08 PM
I listen to a lot of bands and artists and I'm always searching for new music, but I think at least Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers get the recognition they deserve. Led Zeppelin is a tad overrated I guess.

Beakwithteeth
04-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Metallica and the Chili Peppers are more overrated than Led Zeppelin imo. Metallica especially, I don't see why they are better than any other thrash band that was around at their time.

Beakwithteeth
04-05-2008, 11:49 PM
No they don't.

talia.
04-05-2008, 11:52 PM
i dont like them but, U2.

Colgate Total
04-05-2008, 11:53 PM
I listen to a lot of bands and artists and I'm always searching for new music, but I think at least Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers get the recognition they deserve. Led Zeppelin is a tad overrated I guess.

I think they get way more than they deserve. There are some kids around here who think Metallica has influenced every single band from 1983 onward. Then you have the Zep fans who think they influenced every band ever, and so on. Maybe it's not so bad where you live, but it gets pretty ridiculous around here.

I still love them though.

Thebiz
04-06-2008, 01:43 AM
And the keyboard.

Oh my god how could I have forgotten the keyboard :eek:

I believe he's one of the first keyboard shredders I have ever heard :D

goldmember1217
04-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I disagree wholeheartedly.

For me it's Neutral Milk Hotel.

lolmnt
04-06-2008, 02:20 PM
The Beatles.

chillrock
04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Yes, we all have them. We all love one band that is so overrated, it's sickening.

are they really overrated? they didn't get so big by being mediocre, did they? and today we have the benefit of hindsight, and the fact that those bands have been around long enough to have influenced the new bands that are emerging today.

and while some of their songs may not seem so special today (to some people), it was breakthrough stuff back then; those bands broke the barriers of sound, technique and style, in a time where people were less tolerant than we are today.

there are other factors affecting a band's success than just their music, and these factors have changed and are still doing so. a breakthrough artist today may be labeled as overrated 30 years down the line.

IcePh0enix
04-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I think AC/DC is the most overrated band of all time. And no, I don't like them. Nivana is pretty overrated to but I like them.

Laces Out Danny
04-10-2008, 05:24 AM
The Fall of Troy for me

quite overrated by many people i would say

i love them tho

kalamari
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Hmmm I'd say the mostly it would be Led Zeppelin, plus throw in some Metallica and a bit of Dream Theater and Steve Vai... all great musicians and great music but in some circles at least are often overrated

pix3lboy
04-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Avenged sevenfold
Muse

People might argue with muse but most of the people i know who listen to them didn't even realise they had albums before absolution and now they sell out stadium gigs in a matter of days.

Discoprincess32
04-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Avenged sevenfold
Muse

People might argue with muse but most of the people i know who listen to them didn't even realise they had albums before absolution and now they sell out stadium gigs in a matter of days.

I'm in the states so I'm sure Muse is huge over in Europe, but they aren't here in the states. They only sold 5,000 seats here in Seattle and HAARP only sold 14,000 copies 1st week here. They aren't promoted at all except by word of mouth. They deserve to be bigger here, but they just aren't still. I'd say they are still underrated for the most part. But it's nice to see that UG loves them! :peace:

hb15577
04-11-2008, 06:30 AM
yeah there not overrated

HethaHORRIFIC
04-11-2008, 06:35 AM
rise against.

pix3lboy
04-11-2008, 01:06 PM
They aren't promoted at all except by word of mouth. They deserve to be bigger here, but they just aren't still

I've heard they are planning a stadium tour in America late this year after a full British tour. Might be one for you to look out for. I really ned to see them again on the UK tour

IcePh0enix
04-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm in the states so I'm sure Muse is huge over in Europe, but they aren't here in the states. They only sold 5,000 seats here in Seattle and HAARP only sold 14,000 copies 1st week here. They aren't promoted at all except by word of mouth. They deserve to be bigger here, but they just aren't still. I'd say they are still underrated for the most part. But it's nice to see that UG loves them! :peace:
I hope you're joking. Muse is huge in the U.S. I know a lot of people who know them, they're on Guitar Hero, and they're on the radio all the time. They're pretty damn big in Virginia.

Discoprincess32
04-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I hope you're joking. Muse is huge in the U.S. I know a lot of people who know them, they're on Guitar Hero, and they're on the radio all the time. They're pretty damn big in Virginia.

I really think it depends where you are in the country. I know they are huge in the Cali and in Texas (for some reason) and in the north east. For some reason they are big here, but you can't tell. The US is huge so it's all relative I guess. It depends on what circle you run with.

Thebiz
04-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Not in Georgia. The only people who know them here are the people who play Guitar Hero.

Colgate Total
04-12-2008, 07:46 PM
are they really overrated? they didn't get so big by being mediocre, did they? and today we have the benefit of hindsight, and the fact that those bands have been around long enough to have influenced the new bands that are emerging today.

and while some of their songs may not seem so special today (to some people), it was breakthrough stuff back then; those bands broke the barriers of sound, technique and style, in a time where people were less tolerant than we are today.

there are other factors affecting a band's success than just their music, and these factors have changed and are still doing so. a breakthrough artist today may be labeled as overrated 30 years down the line.

Oh be quiet and chill. I was just asking which bands who are overrated you like. Does it matter if they're overrated? Probably not, but they are nonetheless.

chillrock
04-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Oh be quiet and chill. I was just asking which bands who are overrated you like. Does it matter if they're overrated? Probably not, but they are nonetheless.

well, you started it. i was just expressing my opinion in a thread where everything that is said is purely subjective. and its not like you have to read my post, so its not my fault if you get all worked up about what i say.

papersun87
04-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Not in Georgia. The only people who know them here are the people who play Guitar Hero.
Same here in Nebraska. I know two or three other people who like Muse as much as I do, and no one else has ever even heard of them. I do my best to spread the word whenever I can.

My overrated band is Def Leppard . . . they were the reason I picked up a guitar, but many years later, I only listen to three of their albums anymore. But no matter what anyone says, Phil Collen hasd got to be one of the greatest guitarists to pick up the instrument.

Its_Rock77
04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Fall Out Boy cause Take This To Your Grave was some of the best pop punk ever written.

and of course the usuals: RHCP, ACDC, Metallica, Beatles.

DieGarbageMan
04-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Avenged sevenfold are underated!

have you seem the amount of **** they get on a daily basis.

there a good band man.

metalhead_c-1
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix Experience, and sadly....Dragonforce
I really don't think that Avenged Sevenfold is too overrated though.

garage_kid
04-18-2008, 11:29 PM
maybe Audioslave, Weezer and the last Gob's album.