Screwing Up in a PAYED GIG

PDA

View Full Version : Screwing Up in a PAYED GIG

au_lead
04-06-2008, 12:48 AM
A few weeks ago I was in town when i noticed a band was going to play in a small cafe in the corner of the plaza. I found this interesting and walked in and seated myself. These guys were a jazz trio, well quartet, but the fourth guy just showed up with some bongos and stuff....

ANYWAY there was an upright bass, guitarist and a singer/keyboardist. I helped em set up and they talked to me before they played. They were sweating a few songs during practice, according to the singer.

This proved true because during the real performance the singer told the rest of the players to stop in the middle of two songs. To me this seemed wrong, as personally I would keep the song going if It wasn't completley murdered at that point.
-What do you guys think?
Oh and,

What do you do during a gig If you mess up in the middle of a song??

Ledhead82048
04-06-2008, 12:52 AM
next Axl Rose anyone?

I would just keep playing and turn my screw up into a fill or something

CLIFF_BURTON
04-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Well a month ago my band played at my schools battle of the bands(we actually won), and this one band had the vocals all mixed up, and the singer just stopped singing. Their singer was probably just being too nervous to sing.

djmay71
yea its wrong to stop in the middle of a song, even if you have murdered the song.
and i have messed up a few times during a gig. nothing major though, it was after a breakdown, i started to play the lead guitar, when normally i'd play the rhythm, so for a few seconds all that was playing was lead, bass and drums, and i didn't realise what was going on so my lead guitarist started playing the rhythm...all was good!!

sasquatch ass
yeah, your supposed to keep going unless someone dies.

samerika
04-06-2008, 12:55 AM
LOL....you cant just stop playing because of one mistake!!
You have to continue playing even if you just broke one of your strings.

martyr1130
04-06-2008, 12:56 AM
well the one time my band horribly screwed up, my drummer just decided to skip the entire 3rd verse to master of puppets, and that was pretty bad. we just picked up as best we could and finish the song.

au_lead
04-06-2008, 12:57 AM
What made it worse was that the guys were accomplished musicians! one has a PhD in music!!!!

djmay71
04-06-2008, 01:00 AM
What made it worse was that the guys were accomplished musicians! one has a PhD in music!!!!
WHAT!?
that my friend is insanity...like this one time...

nah, you guys don't need another rendition about the time i took a dump onstage

martyr1130
04-06-2008, 01:02 AM
WHAT!?
that my friend is insanity...like this one time...

nah, you guys don't need another rendition about the time i took a dump onstage

oh my god that is legendary, the on-stage dump. kudos my friend.

Blind In 1 Ear
04-06-2008, 01:10 AM
lol thats pretty strange to hear that. you said they were jazz? chances are no would would even notice mistakes in jazz. most people dont get jazz or even know more than 2 jazz songs tops. that would be really stupid to stop. i think in jazz people kind of expect strange things that may be considered "wrong" to some. and id argue that most players no matter what make mistake. but no one really notices. espsecially if you cover it up and go along. people only really remember the intro and ending to a song anyway (and perhaps if they liked something in the middle). specifics arent usually remembered unless you TOTALLY ruin the song and it sounds like a trash compactor.

anyways, always keep going. i mess up all the time and no one even notices. and if you have a paying gig, for sure dont stop. that will make you look like crap. you might not come back there and you might have trouble getting gigs in other places.

Kid_Thorazine
04-06-2008, 03:51 AM
just keep playing, that's the professional thing to do.

Broken_Drum
04-06-2008, 08:18 AM
just keep playing, that's the professional thing to do.
Exactly this.

daytripper75
04-06-2008, 11:54 AM
you just keep going and try to get back with it.

if its absolutely terrible maybe stop. most people wont really care if you just miss a note or hit the wrong chord and just keep going.

Andrewbiles
04-06-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm the kind of person that would stop I'm sure of it, but if I had paid to see a performance I'd prefer it if the band continued unless it was an on-going problem with the gear or something.

TehNez
04-06-2008, 02:32 PM
yeah, your supposed to keep going unless someone dies.

No, even then. ;)

I once saw a band where the guitarists electronics kept cutting out, and he stopped to go grab another guitar, but the band still finished the song with just bass, drums, and vocals, and even moved on to the next song while the guitarist was setting back up.

rose_of_sharyn
04-06-2008, 04:00 PM
i snapped a string on a floyd, and that sends the whole thing out of tune! we still kept going i just turned my volume off ahah

mymuffisbig09
04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
a few weeks ago my band was playing and at one point everything drops out exept the bass. coincidentally my bassists amp cut out right then, so it looked like the song was over. People started to clap, so we were just like "no, the songs not over" and went back into it. To us it seemed ****ty, but people at the show thoguht it was planned out.

chillrock
04-09-2008, 02:20 PM

that does not necessarily mean that they are professional performers of music -- they probably just know all the theory.