Gear for Nirvana Tone?

PDA

View Full Version : Gear for Nirvana Tone?

freeloader1504
04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
My band plays mainly Nirvana and Pearl Jam and all of that, or our songs are inspired by theirs. But honestly, being in school I do not have the money for the Marshall and the and all of that. So does anyone know of a way I can copy the tone? It can't be too hard can it? One of my friends recommended this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-YCV40T-40-2x10-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speakers?sku=480960

Thoughts and Opinions?

Shinozoku
04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
A Peavy Windsor combo will give you Marshall-esque tone as well for a lower price, but I think the Traynor will have better cleans. Plus, the Windsor is one-channel, but it does have a gain boost for solos.

latinosuperstud
04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
fender through a tube amp... and yes that tryanor is actually very nice a should be able to nail those tones

cmakkidguitar
04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
My band plays mainly Nirvana and Pearl Jam and all of that, or our songs are inspired by theirs. But honestly, being in school I do not have the money for the Marshall and the and all of that. So does anyone know of a way I can copy the tone? It can't be too hard can it? One of my friends recommended this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-YCV40T-40-2x10-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speakers?sku=480960

Thoughts and Opinions?

Jesus, i was expecting that to be an MG, your friend done good :cheers:
That Traynor will definitely get you the Marshall sound :)

slatsmania
04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
The Traynor YCV 50 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075) would be better. More of a Marshall growl to it. Get yourself an EHX Small Clone for even more Cobain goodness.

DazzaSchwings
04-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm sure you probably know what you're doing, but if you want more info on their gear and what not, check out this site: http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

Kurt's sound wasn't really the typical Marshall sound, it was quite dirty and very much in the mid-range. You want an amp that can really bring out the mids, and can give you a bit of bass if you want it. If you're going to pay that much, I'd recommend getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It is good for what you want it to do.

The site says it has 3 channels - it doesn't. It has two channels (one drive and one clean) and the "second" drive channel and it is basically a boost channel that runs off the preamp. I have a Hot Rod Deville and it's the same. You can also run an effects loop through it.

Good luck

slatsmania
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Traynor YCV's pwn the Fender Hot Rods, IMHO, especially when it comes to gain.

RG_FANMAN
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Fender Twin Reverb + Boss DS-2 (or whatever the turbo one is)? I think Kurt used that to record In Utero. Otherwise, Mesa Studio + a tube power amp and a cab would pretty much nail it.

Shinozoku
04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm sure you probably know what you're doing, but if you want more info on their gear and what not, check out this site: http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

Kurt's sound wasn't really the typical Marshall sound, it was quite dirty and very much in the mid-range. You want an amp that can really bring out the mids, and can give you a bit of bass if you want it. If you're going to pay that much, I'd recommend getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It is good for what you want it to do.

The site says it has 3 channels - it doesn't. It has two channels (one drive and one clean) and the "second" drive channel and it is basically a boost channel that runs off the preamp. I have a Hot Rod Deville and it's the same. You can also run an effects loop through it.

Good luck
Hmm... I thought Marshalls tended to be known for a dirty, midrange-heavy sound. Or maybe that was just my trip to Bizarro world.... I can never tell these days.

hendriko
04-15-2008, 02:30 PM
www.kurtsequipment.com

Blompcube
04-15-2008, 03:27 PM
kurtsequipment.com as a few people suggested, will be useful

I find the real key to a nirvana-like tone is in the FX pedals. Kurt Cobain used mainly a variety of fender guitars, although he also used univox, mosrite, epiphone, hagstrom and gibson guitars at times. As for amp, he used fender twin reverbs a lot. I think in the early days he used a Randall or Ampeg head run into a marshall 4x12 cabinet, with the FX send plugged into the FX return of a Fender Twin reverb to be used as an extra valve poweramp and cab - well it looks like its setup like this in footage of old concerts.

But any tube amp with a good clean channel, combined with the right FX, should do it.

On Bleach he just used a Boss DS-1 as far as i know.

On nevermind, mainly a Boss DS-1 and an EHX small clone, although on a few songs he used alternate distortion pedals such as a ProCo Rat and a EHX Big Muff.

On In Utero, he used a Boss DS-2 and a Tech21 SansAmp classic for distortion, and an EHX PolyChorus for the modulation FX.

superslash1994
04-15-2008, 04:33 PM
On Bleach he just used a Boss DS-1 as far as i know.

On nevermind, mainly a Boss DS-1 and an EHX small clone, although on a few songs he used alternate distortion pedals such as a ProCo Rat and a EHX Big Muff.

On In Utero, he used a Boss DS-2 and a Tech21 SansAmp classic for distortion, and an EHX PolyChorus for the modulation FX.

:eek: What about Incesticide! You forgot Incesticide!! :p:

/jk

~SS