AOTM - Robben Ford - Talk To Your Daughter.

PDA

View Full Version : AOTM - Robben Ford - Talk To Your Daughter.

meh!
04-09-2008, 07:43 PM
I posted this before, but there was lots of confusion and I didn't bagsy the month... :(

Anyway, here's my effort at the AOTM

For the Purposes of this AOTM, I have included some links to sound files, for reference and sometimes just for interest’s sake. They are just from wherever I found them and the quality of these are probably going to be YouTube vids :p: It wouldn’t be fair to say that they reflect the album.

Robben Ford - Talk To Your Daughter.

Robben Ford is primarily known, deservedly so, as a prolific blues guitarist. His Debut solo album Talk To Your Daughter garnered him a Grammy nomination for Best Contemporary Blues Album. However, playing with jazz legends such as Miles Davis and George Harrison and forming The Robben Ford Group (Later to become Jazz Fusion group the Yellow Jackets) has earned him a name in jazz that few can fail to respect.

Talk To Your Daughter is a blend of brilliant musicianship and a love of the blues. On this album Ford plays with Roscoe Beck (Four/Six string bass and Vocals), Vinnie Colaiuta (Drums) and Russel Ferrante (Keys). All brilliant musicians in and of themselves, the combination of their talents is no disappointment.

The Opening Track is Talk To your Daughter a blues classic written by J. B. Lenoir in the 50s. It starts of light, organ pulsing and shuffling gently whilst Ford gives us his rendition of the lyrics. If there is a weak point on this whole album, then it is the singing. Though not particularly bad, the singing, lacking in flare, just doesn’t stand up to the brilliant playing on every other aspect of this album. This track is really nothing complex, just good playing over a good groove. The drums power it along and Ford’s licks provide little pick-ups throughout. The solo is excellent; he plays through his twelve bar with style and accentuates chord changes nicely.

Talk To Your Daughter (Live on American Chat show) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmQLFv_Pa3U

The Second track on the album Wild About You (Can’t Hold On Much Longer), was written by Walter Jacobs (Little Walter). This track begins with jangling arpeggios with lots of space but then is quickly and sharply cut down to a twangy, blues guitar riff. Another good blues tune with an impressive saxophone solo immediately followed by a guitar solo.

Help the Poor is the third track and, in my opinion, the worst. It simply does nothing for me; the vocals here are worse than on the rest of the album and more exposed. I do not like the organ playing. I couldn’t really tell you why, I just don’t like it! I don’t even particularly like the guitar solo, though it is definitely still more entertaining then the rest of the song.

meh!
04-09-2008, 07:44 PM
*continued*

Now, Ford’s version of, “Ain’t got nothin’ but the blues” has to be the best track of the album for me. The groove is understated and just perfect throughout. Set against the slow beat, the little double time parts are so exciting and they are handled perfectly by Roscoe and Colaiuta. The chords in this song are nothing amazingly complex in themselves but the band make the song into so much more than that. This is truly one of the best examples of what can happen when four good musicians get in a room together.

This is the best internet excerpt of this track I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvFsvmoUsnI&feature=related

For the 5th track he decides to cover that most famous of tunes, “Born Under A Bad Sign” :p:. Though it’s played well, he is not enough of a vocalist to pull off this song very well. The playing is still very good, but without a great deal to work with he doesn’t seem to pull of anything spectacular. It’s definitely a let down after the previous track, but the guitar playing is still a piece of work and it’s a solo fest. So it’s all well and good!

Next comes a fast, fun blues in the shape of Ike Turner’s, I Got Over it. The band pick up the pace here, and you really get the feeling that they’re going at it. There is not much to say about this song except that it’s a fast tune with good guitar and harmonica solos. Most of the stuff on this album that I would call great is when he’s really working from a jazz and blues point of view.

Revelations is another highlight of the track. The Gospel Tune is given a lovely twist here when Ford plays it (the only instrumental on the album). It’s nice to hear a song like this being revamped and played well by everyone here, you can still hear its gospel roots but with that edge that Robben Ford brings to everything he plays.

For interests sake here is Revelations played by the Yellow Jackets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RGTH9ieQBI

One of the few originals on the Album, “Getaway” starts off how it continues; slick and groovy. The drums at the very start will send shivers down your spine, the whole song swings back and forth between mountains of sound and some lovely sparse playing and it makes for good listening.

Can’t Let Her Go, the final track, is probably the most divisive; If you can get past how incredibly 80s it is, you’ll appreciate the musicianship and if you can’t you’ll be dogged throughout the song by a decade that many people would rather forget. Like a lot of music from then, it is of its time but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad, if you looked past some of the exterior (i.e. the keyboard sounds) I’m sure you’ll find something to like about it.

When I started this I really expected to just be writing, “Robben Ford is awesome, all bow down before him for”, for six paragraphs. I was pleasantly surprised to find I had some criticisms of this album, but that doesn’t change that it is a classic album and anyone who isn’t already listening to Robben Ford should get something by him. Immediately. (Talk to Your Daughter or A Handful Of Blues being the two best to start with, I think)

All in all, the main strength of this album is in the bands playing its self, the songs themselves could basically be anything, and it wouldn’t be that important (I exaggerate :p: ). To utilise a cliché: 'It’s not what they’re playing, it’s how they’re playing it'.

Vinnie9
04-09-2008, 07:50 PM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, who/what's AOTM?

meh!
04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, who/what's AOTM?

'Album of the Month' Someone writes up a little something about an album , basically. We seem to have 1 for blues and one for jazz, though it's not been to regular yet.

nightraven
04-20-2008, 04:48 AM
i just dl'd this album, after meaning to for a while. it's pretty damn good :)

meh!
04-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, ace!

You should check out his 'Handful of blues' album, if anything i'd say it's better.

kill_busted
04-29-2008, 10:12 AM
insane song!! are you sure J. B. Lenoir was original?

also save your nights for me.. TUNE!!

\

meh!
04-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Em, I'll try and find out for you, I think it was though.

*frantically looks for CD*

JilaX^
05-16-2008, 08:03 PM
This is the only thing I've been listening to this whole month. (Except for some random stuff)

And when I go into the B & J forum this is what I see?

Great minds think alike! :cheers:

EDIT: Am I the only one who absolutely adores his singing? I find it perfect!

meh!
05-16-2008, 09:28 PM
This is the only thing I've been listening to this whole month. (Except for some random stuff)

And when I go into the B & J forum this is what I see?

Great minds think alike! :cheers:

EDIT: Am I the only one who absolutely adores his singing? I find it perfect!

I think he's a competent singer, it's just not my thing really.

But yeah, I love his guitar playing.

johnny_tapia
05-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Well, ace!

You should check out his 'Handful of blues' album, if anything i'd say it's better.
That album is amazing ;)

Jimmy94
06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
we're at june and no one has written the next albums of the month.

If no one else picks up the ball I'll write a jazz AOTM.

imgooley
06-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Go ahead, Jimmy. I'll write a blues one, or we can do just one album for the whole section this month.

HoneyFUZZ_123
06-25-2008, 06:22 AM
I love robbens playing, the brother is also a great track as it really shows what he can do