Most respected artist(s)?

PDA

View Full Version : Most respected artist(s)?

Punks|Not|Dead
04-10-2008, 08:15 AM
I browsed through the first 5 pages or so of search bar results and couldn't find anything.

So Yeah, which artist do you respect the most? You don't even have to like their music. This thread isn't about how good/ bad they are at what they do or who's the most talented, it's who YOU personally respect.

For me it's Marshall Mathers aka Eminem.

He's been through so much **** but has turned his life around so he can provide for his daughter.

Go ahead flame me but I got so much respect for the guy.

Who do you guys respect in the music industry?

CoreysMonster
04-10-2008, 08:18 AM
hm the list is long

Ray Charles for overcoming his blindness

Adam Jones for fulfilling all of his dreams (making films AND music)

Steve Taylor and Joe Perry for overcoming their drug addictions.

Denthúl
04-10-2008, 08:19 AM
The ones that never make it, but still keep on playing for their fans. :)

bartdevil_metal
04-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Llars Ulrich.

But seriously, Joe Satriani. He taught so many good guitarists.

whitey314
04-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Slash read his book!!! or James Hetfield both for overcoming their problems ie drugs, alcohol etc

rancidryan
04-10-2008, 08:23 AM
joe satriani he taught vai who's my favourite and matthew bellemy as he s so amazingly talented

Godzillolz
04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
SRV - "All these guys use Les Pauls and Marshall amps to get a heavy sound. Thats the pussy way. I use heavy strings."

Need I say more?

dann_blood
04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
John Frusciante, he isn't just a great musician, but he's a brilliant painter, had a few exhibits. Him or Adam Jones. Or Petrucci, cos Petrucci is awesome.

saphrax
04-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Rick Allen - Def Leppard - Drummer.

Godzillolz
04-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Rick Allen - Def Leppard - Drummer.
+1. If there was a list of artists who had overcome the most hardships, he would be at the top.

benco
Jaco Pastorius.

Any and every bassist, no matter what genre they play, will agree.

Mattalac
Llars Ulrich.

But seriously, Joe Satriani. He taught so many good guitarists.

I was going to say Satch too. Definately Satch.

But most and foref*ckingmost. FRANK ZAPPA

04-10-2008, 08:32 AM
John Frusciante, for overcoming his near-death addictions.
Keef, for being around for a long-ass time.
Jack White, for putting out albums like a possessed maniac.

Cheesepuff
04-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Thrice

They make great music and donate a part of everything they get to various charities.

hazzmatazz
04-10-2008, 08:34 AM
John Frusciante, for literally dying and coming back to life. Also the amount of **** he has gone through, and has come out and created some of the most beautiful music ever.

arondadi
04-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Jason Becker, to be still a great musician and composer even he can only move his eyes, and for being a awesome character and great guitarist.

webbtje
04-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Devin Townsend for being the human incarnation of awesomely amazing.

Bonus? He's really, really funny.

Griff_Kid
Frank Zappa. Just look at all he's done.

TrasherFromHell
Jason Becker. If you don't know the story about him find it, read it and I'm sure you'll agree. I have HUGE respect for him.

uhh_me?
04-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Daniel Johnston. his determination to make it in the music industry is passed by no one.

ralph wiggum
04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
ide say John Frusciante or Anthony Kiedis.. im not a rhcp fanboy,but if you've read Anthony's book hes gone through some sh*t.

megatallica666
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
SRV is one bad dude.

teegman
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
hm the list is long

Ray Charles for overcoming his blindness

Whoa, so Ray Charles had his vision return??

films AND music? Whoa!

Steve Taylor and Joe Perry for overcoming their drug addictions.

I TOO RESPECT ALL ARTISTS WHO GET ADDICTED TO ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES THEN SOMEHOW BECOME UNADICTED!

XianXiuHong
04-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Paul Gilbert

jeowy
04-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Whoa, so Ray Charles had his vision return??

films AND music? Whoa!

I TOO RESPECT ALL ARTISTS WHO GET ADDICTED TO ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES THEN SOMEHOW BECOME UNADICTED! unkind

muhammed suicmez, for going to a huge amount of effort to learn to play guitar and form a death metal band despite the actions of his ultra-zelous religious fundamentalist parents.

emil_sej
04-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Ludwig van Beethoven for continuing to compose masterpieces, even after he went completely deaf.

Sumlover41
04-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Slash read his book!!! or James Hetfield both for overcoming their problems ie drugs, alcohol etc

James never did drugs

Deliriumbassist
04-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Hell, he worked on Predator and Jurassic Park. That's instant awesome respect.

sock_demon
04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Jason Becker
Dream Theater
Rush
Steve Vai
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Godzillolz
04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I TOO RESPECT ALL ARTISTS WHO GET ADDICTED TO ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES THEN SOMEHOW BECOME UNADICTED!
The troll has a point there. I mean, it's not like you would have much respect for your average hardcore junkie who overcame the addiction.

John Frusciante is probably my favourite guitarist, but I don't respect him any more for overcoming an addiction...It's his fault for not being smart enough to stay off drugs in the first place.

jeowy
04-10-2008, 08:56 AM
The troll has a point there. I mean, it's not like you would have much respect for your average hardcore junkie who overcame the addiction.

John Frusciante is probably my favourite guitarist, but I don't respect him any more for overcoming an addiction...It's his fault for not being smart enough to stay off drugs in the first place. i know he's got a point, but he attacked every single comment that guy made...

webbtje
04-10-2008, 08:58 AM
muhammed suicmez, for going to a huge amount of effort to learn to play guitar and form a death metal band despite the actions of his ultra-zelous religious fundamentalist parents.

And for succeeding in the death metal world (hardly an easy one to break into) despite looking like a geography teacher.

teegman
04-10-2008, 08:59 AM
i know he's got a point, but he attacked every single comment that guy made...
Because every single reason the guy gave were ridiculously stupid reasons to base respect around.

PhantomNote
04-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Mattias "IA" Eklundh, cool guy, great at writing lyrics, and great at writing music and playing guitar.

Paul Gilbert, great musician, cool guy.

Jason Becker - such a passion.

Frank Zappa - original, cool and different. Also very good at discussing

Steve Vai - cool guy too, and great musician.

Sabu
04-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Tony Iommi

Serjem
04-10-2008, 09:08 AM
eddie van halen.. i don't really know why.. but.. oh well

eric clapton... i don't really know much about eric... but the fact taht his son died when he was only 4 and the pain he went thru (tears in heaven...) make me respect him..

oh yeah.. i have respect for the great piano guys aswell.. i mean... .. well i dunno how to explain that xD

Serjem
04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Ludwig van Beethoven for continuing to compose masterpieces, even after he went completely deaf.

yeah... but he went crazy later on.. i mean... i would probably too if i went deaf :D
it's kinda funny.. all the great composers... well .. most of.... went crazy in time :D

Zero_Mike
04-10-2008, 09:36 AM
John Petrucci just for the huge amount of work it took him to get to where he is and how much more he's willing to put in.

Devin Townsend for making awesome music and keeping a psychotic sense of humor through it. Also for getting through his bi-polar.

Jehuty
04-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm going for Jeff Healey on this one. Words cannot describe how much that man could make his guitar scream in such a unique way.

And next to that, my second vote goes to Paco De Lucia. No words necessary, I guess.

mrwaffles
04-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Pink Floyd for just being one of the most incredible bands to ever exist.

Queen again for being just plain incredible.

Streetlight Manifesto for taking ska to a whole new level.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones for basically inventing 3rd wave ska.

:)

Denthúl
04-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I'd say Django Reinhardt, too. Not only for playing guitar despite his problems, but for inspiring others to do the same. :)

Dirk Gently
04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Because every single reason the guy gave were ridiculously stupid reasons to base respect around.
What do you base respect around, then? By the way, if you don't respond - evidence you're actually interested in contributing to the thread rather than just trolling - I'm going to give you a warning for trolling :)

Tele.Player.92
04-10-2008, 09:57 AM
And for succeeding in the death metal world (hardly an easy one to break into).
facepalm.jpg
there is much harder scenes to break into.
I would kill myself if I saw Kerry King enter the realm of Les Paul, B.B King and Muddy on whatever circuit they be playing on

teegman
04-10-2008, 09:58 AM
What do you base respect around, then?

I personally find respect in people / groups who accomplish something remarkable, usually under trying circumstances and almost always in a morally just manner.

In the music world, this is why I would tend to respect artists such as Amon Düül II, Faust, Boredoms and Aphex Twin before most others. They have all accomplished the feat of releasing truly revolutionary material and sounds without big label financial backing and without bastardizing their medium.

teegman
04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
By the way, if you don't respond - evidence you're actually interested in contributing to the thread rather than just trolling - I'm going to give you a warning for trolling :)

I don't post my opinion unless I intend to back it up and stand by it, surely you've noticed this by now?

Bennetts_strat
04-10-2008, 10:33 AM
I have respect for any artist that stays away form hard drugs.

Seriously, I've never done heroine in my life! Where's my recognition?

(Stole that from some comedian, I just think it's a good point.)

Dirk Gently
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't post my opinion unless I intend to back it up and stand by it, surely you've noticed this by now?
I've also noticed that you like to be contrary just for the sake of being contrary and to criticize other people's opinions just to get a rise out of them. For example, when the guy on the previous page said he respects Ray Charles for overcoming his blindness, obviously he didn't mean that Charles could see, but that he overcame much of the adversity that comes with blindness and became one of the pioneers of rock n' roll, transitioning the genre from its gospel and blues roots. But instead, you decided to take a pop shot being conveniently literalist.

04-10-2008, 10:39 AM
I almost forgot to mention Iommi. The dude lost his fingertips.

And regarding John Frusciante, it's not just that he dropped drugs, but he managed to turn his entire lifestyle 180 degrees and adapt a healthier lifestyle, which gave him his fulfillment.

Broken_Drum
04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Aaron Funk. He puts out at least two albums every year and not to mention another two or so EPs. He's one of the hardest working men in music.

uhh_me?
04-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I've also noticed that you like to be contrary just for the sake of being contrary and to criticize other people's opinions just to get a rise out of them. For example, when the guy on the previous page said he respects Ray Charles for overcoming his blindness, obviously he didn't mean that Charles could see, but that he overcame much of the adversity that comes with blindness and became one of the pioneers of rock n' roll, transitioning the genre from its gospel and blues roots. But instead, you decided to take a pop shot being conveniently literalist.
come on peter. didn't you at least find teegman's comment to be funny? i know i did.

Orlando01
04-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Jose Feliciano, forget about the fact that he's blind, the man is one of the most amazing guitar players you'll ever find and somehow people don't give him the respect he's due.

rosamamosa
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
bob dylan

evening_crow
04-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Rick Allen, Buckethead, Danny Carey (Tool drummer...seriously, he tore a tendon and went back on tour as soon as possible and kicked ass on last year's show), Paul Gilbert, Matt Bellamy

most of them are just for the way how they use their talent to their full potential

Vermintide
04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Opeth.

Even though I can't take them in huge doses (not enough widdly widdly shred for my tastes, and their lenghier acoustic stuff bores me), they have to be one of the most refreshing, creative bands out there.

Fiddelers elbow
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Lightning bolt -
I have never heard such an origional band in my life.To me there just awe inspiring.

orcs4life
04-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I might get flamed for this, but I don't respect an artist for their ability to get out of an addiction. Isn't it there fault in the first place that they got into an addiction? They placed the hardships on themselves, and to get out of it, to me, seems like something they do to reverse a **** up. I respect an artist more for NOT having to get out of an addiction and for not following that typical rock stereotype.

AngusIsMyHero
04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Bono?

MoleMania
04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Soulja Boy

bob farrell
04-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Jada pinkett smith. It must be super hard to be in a heavy metal band when your a super pretty actor and the wife of Will Smith, alot of probly dont take her seriously as a musician, but i think she has an epic voice, and Wicked Wisdom isnt the worst band in the world.

frankv
04-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm probably really biased for them being my favourite band, but Pearl Jam. After they became extremely popular with Ten, they decided to stop making videos and since '92 they only made 2 official videos. They also tried a barely toured for their third album just to screw over Ticketmaster.

About the people with a drug addiction, I do have respect for them. Sure, it's their own fault for becoming addicting but it takes an enormous amount of will-power to decide to stop and stick to it. It is also impossible to become unaddicted from hard-drugs so the struggle remains the rest of your life.

Nizzi
04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Axl Rose
Mathias 'Warlord' Nygard
Paul Isola
:D
Anyone who has had to work hard to succeed (not just being naturally good at Music), or can play many different instruments.

Lil Macker
04-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Neil Peart. His wife and daughter died of cancer, yet he continued to make music!

ninnipinni93
04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Chuck Schuldiner

one of the greatest metal artists of all time! yet he never gained the recognition he deserved and died of brain cancer becouse he and his family cauldnt afford the medical bill.

Tony Iommi

very underrated! lost his fingers in a factory accident, and yet he could still play the guitar amasingly with just two fingers.

whitey314
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
James never did drugs slash did and by my comment i was refering to both of them and metallica did do a far bit of pot and heroin in their day

Zycho
04-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Trent Reznor. Musical genius, innovator, and a visionary. Not afraid to speak his mind or stand up for his fans.

teegman
04-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Trent Reznor. Musical genius, innovator, and a visionary

If you actually believe what you're saying then you're very poorly educated in musical history. Reznor's only genius was fooling the general public into believing his synth pop gibberish was industrial and that his work was 'edgy' and original - you should probably be admiring his marketing team rather than him actually.

Not afraid to speak his mind or stand up for his fans.
duh..

of course a money hungry musician is going to stand up for the people that feed his pockets.

Perpetual Burn
04-11-2008, 02:18 AM
^haha, Jason Becker FTW on this one. His story is inspirational.

IcePh0enix
04-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Anthony Kiedis for overcoming drug addiction and still rocking out. Mike Shinoda for a being an awesome rapper, lyricist, painter, pianist, guitar player, and college graduate.

trackmind
04-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Mark Kozelek
Entered drug rehab at the age of ten (yes, ten) and didn't entirely mess up his life. That alone is an accomplishment. But apart from that, he's ever since his 1992 been putting out real quality material that never fails to inspire and/or touch me. He is simply amazing.

Radiohead
I'm not majorly fond of their music, but I got to respect them nevertheless. They keep pushing both their own and music's as a whole boundaries. No other band is as popular and daring as this band. They are simply one of the best, ever.

That'll have to do for now.

ewp805
04-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I have a lot of respect for Bob Dylan. Sure his vocals ain't that good, but he is has impacted music soooo much and he is an amazing songwriter.

I've always respected Chuck Berry, too. He was probably the most important musician in the creation of Rock n Roll.

hugmeplz
04-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Tom Morello. One of my favorite guitarists, and his political activism is simply inspiring.

soundgarden19
04-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Jaco pastorius. i just started playing bass and he is a legend.

ray555
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Zappa and Prince

BLS-SDMF
04-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Vinnie Paul: He literally saw his brother get shot on stage with him. And came back to keep making music. That takes some real guts/dedication.

Pearl Jam: I agree with a guy earlier in the thread. Anyone who goes after ticketmaster for charging too much $ to see their shows gets my respect.

Too many to list really or think of them haha. Pretty much anyone who plays music for the love of playing music, and no other reason.

el57
04-14-2008, 01:23 AM
I personally find respect in people / groups who accomplish something remarkable, usually under trying circumstances and almost always in a morally just manner.

In the music world, this is why I would tend to respect artists such as Amon Düül II, Faust, Boredoms and Aphex Twin before most others. They have all accomplished the feat of releasing truly revolutionary material and sounds without big label financial backing and without bastardizing their medium.
lol came into this thread to meantion Faust or Aphex Twin and you already did, holy ****..