Bloodhound Night - Battle Metal! [GP4, GP5, MIDI]

PDA

View Full Version : Bloodhound Night - Battle Metal! [GP4, GP5, MIDI]

Daemos
04-10-2008, 03:02 PM
This is perhaps the most musically advanced piece I've written to date, and I will tell you now that I can't actually play this. It was more of a project just to see what I could do, and so I could experiment with the ideas in my head that I'm unable to put down on the guitar. I've been listening to a lot of Wintersun lately, and I think this sounds quite a bit like them and/or Ensiferum.

Also, I'd be interested to see if anyone can play this! I reckon it'd be a challenge for anyone!

Anyway, comments, criticism, all welcome, I will try to comment back if you give me some feedback!

Thanks!

crzywhiteboy
04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
i like it except for the drums,if you mute that it sounds so much better.

leo_p8
04-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't particularly like this genre of music, the whole forced "gothic" feel of it makes me apprehensive... because it sounds so FORCED.

Harmony-wise, it was actually quite good, none of the guitar parts seemed overly complex, if not simply played in an awkward voicing.

Like Crzywhiteboy said, the drums kill it completely... not only can no human drummer keep up the blast beets for that long... no one would WANT to do so, if only because it doesn't fit the song at that particular moment. Listen closely to Wintersun's drummer... it's not all that hard to play... and it ain't this crazy.

Revise it, it could be good with some more work.

Daemos
04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Hmm well I don't think I actually will revise it, only because I'm never really gonna play this. I know where you're coming from with the drums, and I didn't pay overly close attention when writing them if I'm honest. I was really going for a sort of Winter Madness feel to them. I have to dispute what you say about Wintersun's drummer though. If you listen to Winter Madness he can and does keep it up for that long, over a similar type of riff. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

You've got me confused on the gothic thing however... what do you mean?

Cheers

Burning_Angel
04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Well... I thought the chorus melody was kinda annoying, and the drums dont work at all. And the rhythm didnt sound good either...

I like the verse, and the diminished verse though. The acoustic verse wasnt very great though... The solo was cool though, so that's a plus. Although, I think the 16th note sweeps dont sound too good....

Daemos
04-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Hmm, if you don't like the melody I can only suppose you don't like Folk metal, lol! The drums... well I've heard that before... and the rhythm... yikes... well what's wrong with it? I can't change it if you just say it's bad!

Hmm the acoustic verse is like that so it fits with the song... once the band comes in that's my favourite part so it'd definitely stay if I were to change the song. And the 16th sweeps... well... whether you like it or not they're meant to be that way so I guess it depends on taste.

Well this songs proving to be unpopular! Well... keep the crit coming anyway!

~DrEaM ThEaTeR~
04-11-2008, 09:03 PM
the melodies sound pretty good, but i'm gonna have to agree with everyone else that the drums need serious overhaul, cuz the blast beats dont go well with this song at all.

i think if the drums changed, the whole song would be different and alot better

Burning_Angel
04-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Hmm, if you don't like the melody I can only suppose you don't like Folk metal, lol! The drums... well I've heard that before... and the rhythm... yikes... well what's wrong with it? I can't change it if you just say it's bad!

Hmm the acoustic verse is like that so it fits with the song... once the band comes in that's my favourite part so it'd definitely stay if I were to change the song. And the 16th sweeps... well... whether you like it or not they're meant to be that way so I guess it depends on taste.

Well this songs proving to be unpopular! Well... keep the crit coming anyway!

No really, I quite enjoy folk metal. I love Tyr, Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Turisas, and Wintersun is one of my favorite bands, its just that that melody.... Wasnt good. It just wasnt.

The sweeps I think my GP messed up on, and they jsut sounded too fast. I dunno though.

The rhythm just sounds bad on Gp cause you got the pm tremolo, then the power chords just kinda come out of nowhere, and the speed doesnt really work for me. Either make it power chords, or tremolo, not both.

Daemos
04-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Hmm, cheers for your input, I'm sorry if I've antagonised you, I really didn't mean to.

What would you suggest I do about the melody then? I was kinda aiming at a starchild type thing... are there any particular bits that bother you? The end bit perhaps?

The sweeps... was it the second set? They kind of should sound 'too fast'... triplets would sound much more normal there, but I like the fact that you think it's weird in a way, as it shows I've managed to get something different. In the first set of sweeps you'll probably notice similarities to death and the healing.

If it's only on GP the rhythm sounds bad I don't mind. But then if you the think the melody should change, that'd change too. The idea was those power chords accentuate the two 17s in the melody, and the tremolo picking underlines the speed (it was meant to support them drums, lol). In a band situation it'd be quite low in the mix I think... I made it to support the lead and nothing else really...

I noticed also you weren't too keen on the acoustic part, but it's actually the first time I've written anything in such a relaxed mood (criminal I know) so I'm relatively pleased with how it came out especially the bass.

Well thanks for your crit, I've made one small change so far which is to change the tempo to 210 rather than 220 which helps a little. I could just do with a few suggestions now:

The hated drums: What should I do with them? I don't want to make them too slow or that whole section will be at odds with the song.

How do you suggest I alter the melody to be less annoying/more pleasing?

Thankyou very much for all your input ^^

Burning_Angel
04-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I thought some of the notes just ended up sounding too high pitched, I think. Lower it, and play around with different note values to make it more interesting.

For the drums, do whatever you did on the dimished verse, and the verse, as those drums sounded best i think. Maybe do double bass with snare hits on the ands, or snare hits on 2nd and 4th beats... I dunno.

The solo sounds fine now, and if you want to keep the acoustic verse, that's cool. I would almost like to see a return to the diminished verse, as thats my favorite part, other than the solo.

Daemos
04-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Okay, I tried lowering the melody on guitar but it gets very hard to play if you lower it by an octave, and lowering it by anything else becomes awkward, so I'm thinking I might try using the overdriven guitar (i.e neck pickup), as it has less bite and so those high notes might not grate the ear as much.

Maybe I'll go for the drums in the normal verse for the chorus as well.. I'll change it about a bit so it's not boring, it works in starchild so can't see any reason it wouldn't work here.

I'm glad the solos working okay now I'm trying to learn the second part of it at the moment lol, thought it might do me some good and I'm completely stuck at 168bpm... tch! Any tips for fast sweeping while you're at it? Haha never mind!

Well cheers, I'll have to see about making some of those changes tomorrow or tuesday, and maybe post up the new version. Thanks for the help.

x