Gov't Mule / Warren Haynes

PDA

View Full Version : Gov't Mule / Warren Haynes

Carswell98
04-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I searched high and low, and the only thread for these guys was in the pit, and I figure they belong here.

so to start off:

I really want to listen to more than just the couple tracks I already have

what are some good albums?

I'm thinking about getting "Fire In the Kitchen" by Warren Haynes

and "Dose" by Gov't Mule

are these good?

imgooley
04-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I just got some good tunes, like their cover of Smokestack Lightning

i_suck
04-10-2008, 05:19 PM
the deepend its great so it daja voodoo and warren has a live album out

RATM forever
04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
deja voodoo is great. My favorites from that album are 'Bad Man Walking' 'About to Rage' 'Perfect Shelter' 'Slackjaw Jezebel' 'Lola Leave Your Light On' and 'Mr. Man'

All great tracks, i could listen to them for hours,

Carswell98
04-10-2008, 05:28 PM
cool, I'll have to maybe look for Deja Voodoo instead

dividedsky
04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
I've heard both Dose and Deepest End are great. Saw Warren with the Allman Brothers, great show.

Ramblin'_Man
04-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I have High and Mighty, Mighty High, Deja Voodoo and Life Before Insanity and every song on every album is a good song. Their live stuff blows their studio material out of the water though

gopherthegreat
04-10-2008, 08:19 PM
deja voodo is great

Axegrinder#9
04-10-2008, 09:13 PM
booyaa they are playing at Ithaca on the 18th of April, the 4/20 weekend ;)

imgooley
04-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Gov't Mule Live>Studio

Sly Taco
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Get the deep end projects 1 and 2. Then get the Deepest end.

Carswell98
04-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I ended up getting dose, i really like it

their version of "John the Revelator" is absolutely amazing

Vagabond21
04-17-2008, 02:33 PM
All of their stuff is good. They do a lot of cover songs too like war pigs, catfish blues, and "she said"

My two favorite songs they do are probably soulshine (which I think was an allman brothers song) and catfish blues.

Oh yeah and gonna send you back to georgia, a cover of a houndog taylor song. It's BA

Carswell98
04-17-2008, 03:57 PM
They do war pigs!?

:haha

that is ****ing awesome

Vagabond21
04-17-2008, 04:10 PM
yeah it's pretty sweet

Sly Taco
04-24-2008, 12:09 PM
All of their stuff is good. They do a lot of cover songs too like war pigs, catfish blues, and "she said"

My two favorite songs they do are probably soulshine (which I think was an allman brothers song) and catfish blues.

Oh yeah and gonna send you back to georgia, a cover of a houndog taylor song. It's BA

Warren Haynes wrote "Soulshine" while he was playing with the Allman bros

Jackal58
04-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Gov't Mule Live>Studio
+ 10,000
Thorazine Shuffle is my favorite.

imgooley
04-24-2008, 12:22 PM
+ 10,000
Thorazine Shuffle is my favorite.
:cheers:

I love Smokestack Lightnin

Jackal58
04-24-2008, 12:23 PM

I love Smokestack Lightnin
It's right up there with Thorazine Shuffle. :)

Sly Taco
04-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Blindman in the dark on Deepest End rules

OzarkMDaredevil
06-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Peace Pipe, Brighter Days, and Soulshine are good songs by Gov't Mule.
Check out Black Crowes if you like Gov't Mule.

imgooley
06-17-2008, 04:54 PM
John the Revelator=epic.

Vagabond21
06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't know how Gov't mule isn't more well known.

BTW, if you're a metallica fan check out the gov't mule song "drivin rain".

Haynes and Hetfield collaberated on vocals.

Gov't Mules is reportedly hetfield's favorite band.

TheHeartbreaker
06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Gov't Mules is reportedly hetfield's favorite band.

Really? I was unaware of that. Quite interesting...

Sadly, I do not own any albums by Gov't Mule, though I have listened to several of them in full, as well as songs from various albums and live covers. I plan on changing my status as a non-Mule album owner soon, though. :)

I do, however, own several albums (both studio and live) by The Allman Brothers Band that feature the great Warren Haynes, who is undoubtedly among my favorite guitarists. I've also had the pleasure to see him live three times, and each time he has completely awed me. Not only are his abilities with the guitar matched by only a very select few, but his voice is beautiful.

slidething31
06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
^ Exactly. I love Warren's voice. He's a great guitar player also, but I love his vocals.

Thefallofman
06-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Check out Black Crowes regardless of what you think about Gov't Mule.
Fixed. :D

(I don't think Matt [BrainDamage] reads the blues forum, but if he did he'd be proud of me right now.)

But anyway, I don't know any Gov't Mule yet, but I think I'm going to download a show of theirs right now to get a taste as I've been meaning to listen to them.

TheHeartbreaker
06-21-2008, 09:45 AM
^ Exactly. I love Warren's voice. He's a great guitar player also, but I love his vocals.

The point is, Warren could be either a guitarist or a vocalist (as in only one), and still outshine the majority of others who either play the instrument or sing.

The fact that he does both, and so so well, is mind-blowing.

imgooley
06-21-2008, 02:20 PM
John the Revelator is epic. So is their cover of No Quarter.

TheHeartbreaker
07-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I finally own a Gov't Mule album. In a very tough decision, I chose Live at the Roseland Ballroom over The Flaming Lips album Transmissions from the Satellite Heart. However, I feel very justified in my decision, because this show is smoking.

I was listening to it in the car on the way home, and the first track is a sixteen minute instrumental entitled "Trane". About halfway through the song there was a brief conversation with my mother:

Mom: "Jeffrey, does this music have any words?"

Me: "Not this track."

Mom: "Oh."

And with that the conversation ended. :haha

slidething31
09-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Just downloaded a three night stand of solo acoustic sets from 2004. I think acoustic Warren is particularly awesome because his voice is sooo powerful.

Thefallofman
09-06-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm stoked, they're playing here in a couple months!

imgooley
09-07-2008, 12:26 AM
I finally own a Gov't Mule album. In a very tough decision, I chose Live at the Roseland Ballroom over The Flaming Lips album Transmissions from the Satellite Heart. However, I feel very justified in my decision, because this show is smoking.

I was listening to it in the car on the way home, and the first track is a sixteen minute instrumental entitled "Trane". About halfway through the song there was a brief conversation with my mother:

Mom: "Jeffrey, does this music have any words?"

Me: "Not this track."

Mom: "Oh."

And with that the conversation ended. :haha
Sounds like several conversations I've had about music. :facepalm:

TheHeartbreaker
09-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm stoked, they're playing here in a couple months!

I actually missed Gov't Mule the last time they were in town because they were playing at a smaller venue (so I wasn't aware of their show until the night they were playing) and they played on a school night.

I'm going to try to be more aware of when they're coming again so I can catch them then.

slidething31
09-07-2008, 03:04 PM
^ That sucks man. But you missed it cause it was on a school night? Thats kinda weak.

coump
09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
seen them aug 1, if you get a chance dont miss them
pygmy twylyte, maybe i'm a leo, mother earth are my favorite covers.
their first album is my favorite

fudger
09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
John the Revelator is epic. So is their cover of No Quarter.
hell yes they did no quarter when they were at all good. crazy guitar solo!!!

Sly Taco
10-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Anyone know the deal with Andy Hess leaving or getting fired from the Mule?

SRV99
10-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Anyone know the deal with Andy Hess leaving or getting fired from the Mule?
i know he isnt in the band anymore. i dont think he was fired i'm pretty sure he just left, but i could be wrong

TheHeartbreaker
10-13-2008, 07:44 PM
^ That sucks man. But you missed it cause it was on a school night? Thats kinda weak.

Yes, but to elaborate further I had track practice immediately after school, followed by homework.

That's still weak. I should have went. :mad:

...maybe i'm a leo...are my favorite covers...

Gov't Mule covered Maybe I'm a Leo? That's my favorite Deep Purple song!

Dchild042
10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I think ive already posted this video but whatever

Haynes and Anastasio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4wFs91qJaY

I shit my pants everytime watching that jam

TheHeartbreaker
10-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I think ive already posted this video but whatever

Haynes and Anastasio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4wFs91qJaY

I shit my pants everytime watching that jam

I've watched that video several times before.

It's great to see two legendary musicians playing together; Warren Haynes's aggressive style and Trey Anastasio's laid-back style compliment each other fairly well. Without a band backing the two it may seem hard to tell, but there are similarities between these two guitarists and the duo that headlined The Allman Brothers Band from the late eighties through most of the nineties, which included Warren and Dickey Betts, whose style, though not exactly too comparable with that of Trey's, was definitely more tranquil and melodic than Warren's playing (though his playing has begun to merge between an aggressive and melodic style).

Sadly, however, most of the comments for that video argue over who the better guitarist is, rather than focus upon the music.

Carswell98
10-23-2008, 11:35 PM
I've watched that video several times before.

It's great to see two legendary musicians playing together; Warren Haynes's aggressive style and Trey Anastasio's laid-back style compliment each other fairly well. Without a band backing the two it may seem hard to tell, but there are similarities between these two guitarists and the duo that headlined The Allman Brothers Band from the late eighties through most of the nineties, which included Warren and Dickey Betts, whose style, though not exactly too comparable with that of Trey's, was definitely more tranquil and melodic than Warren's playing (though his playing has begun to merge between an aggressive and melodic style).

Sadly, however, most of the comments for that video argue over who the better guitarist is, rather than focus upon the music.

I hate youtube comments

arghhh :mad:

the world would be a better place without them

Dchild042
10-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Heartbreaker that is so true. I love how they feed off each others energy so well and its a cohesive effort. You know you have a great musical connection with someone that you can sit down and just play and you know exactly what the other is thinking. Its with only few people that you ever get that with. For me its with my brother. We were both in beginner stages of guitar (5-6 months) and i had some of my greatest songs come from those jams, and when i play those songs its the most satisfying for me. More than any cover or any other song i wrote with others or by myself.

And ya, i think all youtube comments on youtube should be deleted and only people with valid opinions should be allowed to post.

"this is just. ****ing ridiculous.
how god damn awful." how is that helpful to anyone watching the video, people are ****ing beyond comprehension.

iantheman
10-26-2008, 03:04 PM
haynes is also in the allman bros

Billy Picken
11-02-2008, 06:19 AM
Warrens album 'Tales of Ordinary Madness' is awesome.

Check out Warren with Derek Trucks doing some tasty sliding on acoustics;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UauECrCIYl8&feature=related

Shpongled
11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Anyone else see Mule's halloween setlist? I'm listening to the soundboard right now and it's a hot one.

Set 1

Brighter Days
Bad Little Doggie
Brand New Angel
Gameface
Trane->
Third Stone From The Sun Jam->
Eternity's Breath Jam->
St. Stephen's Jam->
Monkey Hill
Child Of The Earth
Kinder Bird Jam*->
Kind Of Bird

Set 2
One Of These Days*->
Fearless*->
Pigs On The Wing Part 2*->
Shine On You Crazy Diamond*$&->
Have A Cigar*&->
Speak To Me*->
Breathe*$->
On The Run*->
Time*->
Great Gig In The Sky*$->
Money*$&->
Comfortably Numb*$->
Shine On You Crazy Diamond Reprise*$&->
Wish You Were Here

Encore
A Million Miles From Yesterday$
Blind Man In The Dark&

*1st Time Played
$ with Machan Taylor, Sophia Ramos & Durga McBroom Hudson
& with Ron Holloway

Goldenad
11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
im seeing them tonight in baltimore with back door slam.

updates to come

slidething31
11-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Anyone else see Mule's halloween setlist? I'm listening to the soundboard right now and it's a hot one.

Yeah man that is really an awesome set. But where did you get the sounboard?

I only have a taper's recording.

Shpongled
11-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah man that is really an awesome set. But where did you get the sounboard?

I only have a taper's recording.
They sell them at http://www.muletracks.com/

slidething31
11-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh nice. They didn't have it yet when I checked the other day.

Sly Taco
12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
What do you guys think about the new bass player? Haven't heard the Mule with him yet just curious. Any word on a new album?

Shpongled
12-18-2008, 07:37 PM
What do you guys think about the new bass player? Haven't heard the Mule with him yet just curious. Any word on a new album?
As of now I've only listened to one show with their new bassist, I'm waiting to hear a few more before I form an opinion on him.

pak1351
01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
This needs bumped, so here I am.

I think Dose is my favorite studio album, and live with a little help from our friends I enjoyed more than the deepest end, although they're both good. You can find lots of their live stuff on torrent sites (not from the soundboard, but they let people set up their own recording equipment, so it's totally legit bootlegs). I also have a bootleg of warren, dickey, and allen woody playing an acoustic set at the rock and roll hall of fame, which is a good listen.

I love listening to mo' voodoo right now, it's a nice change of pace, a lot more laid back, nice covers from some more obscure artists (at least to me).

I found a live warren haynes solo performance from Live at Harvest Blues Fest, where he did a couple songs from his solo album and abb and mule, along with covering U2's One, Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, and some other stuff. I actually found a site with some rshare links for this, so pm me if you want the site.

Haven't been able to find his solo album or live at bonnaroo, I guess I'll buy it online.

SRV99
01-19-2009, 05:16 PM
There seems to be a new album in the works now actually:

http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=86710

Quote from link:
Immediately following his inauguration performances, Haynes will record the first new studio album in three years by his versatile quartet Gov't Mule. This will be the first record to feature the quartet's new bassist Jorgen Carlsson. Gov't Mule will perform the following dates this winter, and will embark on a world tour in support of its new album (due mid-June) which will encompass the US, Europe, and Canada between June and August of 2009.

TheHeartbreaker
01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Good news.

SRV99
01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
there are some pics, blogs and videos about their upcoming album here:
http://www.mule.net/inthestudio/
if you have facebook there are better quality videos on their facebook page.

Dchild042
01-27-2009, 06:18 PM
^^^ :cheers:

slidething31
02-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Holy ****! I just downloaded a tape from 12-13-08, they played a whole bunch of Zep tunes.

Warren tore the **** out of Since I've Been Loving You.

gilmourish
02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
gov't mule are a great band, been meaning to buy one of their cds for ages and eventually bought deepest end vol 1 and 2, and i was bloody glad i did! theyre really good

SRV99
02-25-2009, 03:30 AM
Holy ****! I just downloaded a tape from 12-13-08, they played a whole bunch of Zep tunes.

Warren tore the **** out of Since I've Been Loving You.
I just got that show a few days a go too. its pretty friggin good. if you like their covers of zep you should check out the 10/31/07 concert. their 2nd set was the complete Houses of the Holy album. real sweet.

Matson
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I just heard that Mule is coming to Finland (my home country) for the first time this summer. Best news of the month, I can't wait!

soundgarden19
02-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I love the Mule, I only have The Deep End though.

Amroth
03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
It's touching to see people on Ultimate-Guitar discuss and appreciate real music...

chea_man
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
there not really a blues/jazz band, but they do alot of blues songs i guess. mostly covers. Warren haynes is one of my favorite living players, esp. in the rock realm.

pak1351
03-22-2009, 07:07 PM
I just realized that warren played on corrosion of conformity's "stare too long."

I was listening and was just like, this style sounds kind of familiar, googled it, and was only half surprised to see warren listed.

pak1351
03-27-2009, 05:03 PM
From mule.net:

'WARREN NAMED BEST ROCK GUITARIST IN GUITAR PLAYER
Warren Haynes was named the best rock guitarist in the 2009 Guitar Players Readers Poll. These results were published in the May 2009 issue. Warren would like to thank all those of you who took the time to vote.'

Just nice to see.

I want the mule to come play somewhere in PA.
I'd settle for abb, but I want mule.

Shpongled
03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I want the mule to come play somewhere in PA.
I'd settle for abb, but I want mule.
Hit up Mountain Jam, shouldn't be too far from you.

pak1351
03-27-2009, 06:13 PM
True, It's about 5 hours. Their shows in philly and wilkesbarre are during finals for me. I almost lost it when I saw the dates

imgooley
03-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Lolz, pak, I just saw your location :haha

http://www.last.fm/music/John+Lee+Hooker/_/Burning+Hell

imgooley
03-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I just realized that warren played on corrosion of conformity's "stare too long."

Ooops, double post.

You a CoC fan? I really dig them, too. Part of the reason why I got into them is because of that song, though, and Warren's playing on it :haha

pak1351
03-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I like some of their stuff, I actually saw your gigantic youtube post in the off-topic thread and watched all those vids you picked out for braedon. I've been a fan of kyuss for years, but never really went beyond that in the stoner rock genre.

I ended up getting my hands on some orange goblin and CoC (by some, I mean their discographies) and I'm not a big fan of their early stuff tbh (eye for an eye, technocracy, animosity) but I'm really digging America's volume dealer, blind, and deliverance, which is odd because I'm not metallica fan, but hat's what I compare their music to.

My favorite's actually the live album they put out, which is how I know that I really like a band.

I've found myself really getting back into the mule lately and after listening to that track, I was literally like, "wait a second..." and had to look up who played slide. I still can't picture warren playing with a metal band, I always picture him playing with old guys in jam bands.

How do you go from the dead to the allmans CoC?

Oh yeah, gotta give some love to the greats. It actually works two ways, both that and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_3TkbS6C5s

slidething31
03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Some of the Mule's stuff is kind of heavy. At least in comparison to the ABB. And Warren can most definitely shred that guitar of his...

Shpongled
04-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Summer tour dates. Looks like no GA date but I've been thinking about doing Wanee so I'll see what happens...

Fri 5.29 Mountain Jam Hunter, NY On-Sale Now
Sat 5.30 Mountain Jam Hunter, NY On-Sale Now
Thurs 6.04 Wakarusa Ozark, AR On-Sale Now
Fri 6.05 Wanee Festival Live Oak, FL On-Sale Now
Sat 6.13 Bonnaroo Manchester, TN On-Sale Now
Sat 6.27 Puisto Blues Festival Jarvenpaa, Finland On-Sale Now
Sun 7.05 Rothbury Festival Rothbury, MI On-Sale Now
Tue 7.07 CEFCU Center Stage Peoria, IL Pre-Sale 4.07 @ Noon Eastern
Thu 7.09 Big Top Chautauqua Washburn WI Pre-Sale 4.07 @ Noon Eastern
Fri 7.10 Simon Estes Ampitheater Des Moines, IA Pre-Sale 4.07 @ Noon Eastern
Sat 7.11 Fraze Pavilion Kettering, OH Pre-Sale 4.11
Tue 7.14 Crossroads Kansas City, MO Pre-Sale 4.07 @ Noon Eastern
Wed 7.15 Weesner Ampitheatre Minneapolis, MN Pre-Sale 5.01
Public On-Sale 5.18
Fri 7.17 Grand Targhee Americana Festival Alta, WY On-Sale TBA
Sun 7.19 Mile High Music Festival Denver, CO On-Sale Now
Wed 7.29 Innsbrook Pavilion Richmond, VA Pre-Sale 4.07 @ Noon Eastern
Fri 8.07 Saranac Brewery Utica, NY Pre-Sale 4.07 @ Noon Eastern
Sat 9.12 Britt Pavilion Jacksonville, OR On-Sale TBA

aig91
04-27-2009, 03:20 PM
They're definitely a great band. I was familiar with Warren Haynes' work with the Allman Brothers Band, but I've only decided to check out Gov't Mule recently. I'm very impressed with their music.

Beakwithteeth
04-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I am seeing The Dead in Denver in a month with Warren on guitar. It is gonna be so amazing....

Beakwithteeth
05-09-2009, 02:19 AM
^Show was yesterday. Warren is a mind-bending guitarist. Woo...

pak1351
05-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Nice man. I'm so happy, they're doing a show in Pittsburgh. I'm trying to get some nice seats, mule.net ticketing only lets you get four tickets, which is annoying, so i waited until ticketmaster sales started

pak1351
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Gov't Mule - "By A Thread"
1. Broke Down On The Brazos 6:19
2. Steppin' Lightly 7:10
3. Railroad Boy 5:03
4. Monday Mourning Meltdown 8:08
5. Gordon James 3:48
6. Any Open Window 4:45
7. Frozen Fear 5:48
8. Forevermore 4:17
9. Inside Outside Woman Blues #3 9:04
10. Scenes From A Troubled Mind 7:23
11. World Wake Up 5:54

New album coming out july 28th, like the look of those track lengths, and Billy Gibbons is supposedly on one of them

aig91
06-19-2009, 01:11 PM
New album you say? I had no idea. That's pretty awesome. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Jazz Funeral
06-20-2009, 12:56 AM
I love this band so damn much...

I saw them in Arkansas on June 4th, and yes the new bass player is good. He's a little more aggressive than Andy was, which is great because Woody was just an animal. I saw them in Madison the night before they did the Holy Haunted House show in Minnesota. My dad and I dipped behind the building after the show and got to meet Warren. He's a Class "A" guy. We got autographs and shot the **** with him for a few minutes. Matt, Andy, and Danny weren't around though. I'll never forget that night.

pak1351
06-22-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xb0zB-qrg&feature=related
since we're in the b&j forum

MOAR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-fDH-HklA&feature=related

Matson
06-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Tomorrow is a big day for me. I'll see Mule live for the first time!

pak1351
06-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Nice man. Good seats?

Matson
06-26-2009, 06:03 PM
It's an outdoor festival where they will be playing tomorrow. I aim to go there rather early to get a good place. The festival starts at noon and Mule should be out around 5 or 6pm. Will be a long day :p:

Here's more about the festival, http://www.puistoblues.fi/index.php?topic=198

pak1351
07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Haynes is currently on the road with Gov't Mule, though the band has pushed the release of its new album, "By A Thread," back from its original July 28 release (a new date is pending). The quartet recorded its first studio set since 2006's "High & Mighty" at Willie Nelson's Pedernales Studio in Texas, with ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons guesting on the track "Broke Down on the Brazos." It also marks the group's first studio recording with bassist Jorgen Carlsson, who joined the Mule in 2008.
I've spent the past two hours trying to find it somewhere...
:facepalm:

Jazz Funeral
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
I hear it won't be out until September now. Bummer. I hope there's a hard jazzy instrumental like "Birth of the Mule" on it.

pak1351
07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm going to see them on August fourth, hopefully they'll play some new tracks. Haven't tried to find any leaked tracks yet, don't want to ruin it

imgooley
08-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Anyone got a Bootleg of them playing Smokestack Lightning? I had one, but I lost it.

pak1351
08-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Nope, sorry, but I don't have nearly enough bootlegs of these guys, need to get an external hard-drive.

Just got back from their Pittsburgh show, really inspiring. Someone was giving Farmer, the tech, a hard time before the show, he ended up chatting about shrooms and his desire to trip. Two minutes later some dude who was whacked out of his mind just walked up and threw a joint on the stage. Lots of weed, lots of people tripping on more than weed, but it was a good time.

They played King's Highway, one of my 3 favorite songs, and Matt soloed for a good 8-10 minutes. Fearless (Pink Floyd) was a great cover, as was goin' out west (Tom Waits). Had my reservations about the new bass player, but he had some really nice runs, good interaction all around. Incredibly tight. Pretty much a perfect sound mix. Waiting on pics from my friends, we were 9 rows back, right in line with Warren. Tickets said they were going to have a guest, nobody showed up, and they started 45 minutes late, but it was an awesome show, although I really don't like Danny Louis.

Might buy it on mule tracks, it was quite good. Liked it more than the last show I attended. Warren got pissed off because almost missed the upstroke on King's Highway on the 2nd beat of the second measure the first four times, I think he broke the tip of his pick off because he threw it into the crowd mid-song and grabbed a new one. He also used the mic stand as a slide, that was pretty cool and sounded surprisingly good as well.

Set 1: Plex Jam > Bad Little Doggie, Bad Man Walking, About To Rage, Gameface Third > Stone From The Sun > Thelonius Beck, Child Of The Earth, Thorazine Shuffle, Effigy

Set 2: Fearless, Brighter Days, Lazy, World Gone Wild > King's Highway Jam > Drums > King's Highway Jam > King's Highway, 32/20 Blues > I'm A Loser > Soulshine, E: Peter Gunn > Goin' Out West > Peter Gunn
(From Joshua Smith, posted on setlist.com)

imgooley
08-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I want to hear them do a cover of Heartbreaker.

Shpongled
08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
So does anyone have any info on By A Thread's release date? I can't even find anything on Mule's site mentioning the delay.

pak1351
08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I want to hear them do a cover of Heartbreaker.
YES!
I'm hoping they do a zep set some day, like the floyd one they did. That would be awesome, and they've got the personnell for it. Matt was a monster at the show, and definitely channelled some bonzo in his solo
So does anyone have any info on By A Thread's release date? I can't even find anything on Mule's site mentioning the delay.
Yeah, there wasn't anything on mule.net, I found out through billboard or rolling stone or something. It says September sometime, but who knows?
http://mule.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=268_16816&sort=Velocity

Shpongled
08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
YES!
I'm hoping they do a zep set some day, like the floyd one they did. That would be awesome, and they've got the personnell for it. Matt was a monster at the show, and definitely channelled some bonzo in his solo

You might want to check out the shows from the Warren Haynes Xmas jam this year, John Paul Jones sat in with Warren and Mule

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=520998 Warren and JPJ - Soulshine, Going To California

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=520965 Gov't Mule, JPJ sits in on Livin' Lovin' Maid, No Quarter, The Ocean, and When The Levee Breaks

pak1351
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
You might want to check out the shows from the Warren Haynes Xmas jam this year, John Paul Jones sat in with Warren and Mule

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=520998 Warren and JPJ - Soulshine, Going To California

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=520965 Gov't Mule, JPJ sits in on Livin' Lovin' Maid, No Quarter, The Ocean, and When The Levee Breaks
missed these

imgooley
08-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Too bad I don't do flac :(

Shpongled
08-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Too bad I don't do flac :(
Just download foobar, it's not that hard. I mostly use itunes but I use foobar for playing flacs. If you have any interest in listening to audience recordings, flac is one of the two most widely used formats, the other being SHN.

pak1351
08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I do winamp and convert to wav, then put them into itunes. There's a step-by-step somewhere, all free.

imgooley
08-07-2009, 03:24 PM
It's not a question of compatibility, it's a question of space. VLC plays flac files, and if there's something that I really want on flac only, I can use that. I just don't have the hard disk space to store flac files.

Shpongled
08-07-2009, 03:26 PM
It's not a question of compatibility, it's a question of space. VLC plays flac files, and if there's something that I really want on flac only, I can use that. I just don't have the hard disk space to store flac files.
Then look into converting them. If you download foobar and LAME encoder, you can easily convert them to V0 mp3 files with an average bitrate of around 256kbps.

imgooley
08-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Then look into converting them. If you download foobar and LAME encoder, you can easily convert them to V0 mp3 files with an average bitrate of around 256kbps.
Does flac load into Audacity?

Maybe I should try that, because I have a lame encoder for that.

Shpongled
08-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Does flac load into Audacity?

Maybe I should try that, because I have a lame encoder for that.
Not sure, but if you already have the lame.exe file all you need to do is download foobar and when you first try to convert something it will ask for you to locate that file.

Shpongled
08-13-2009, 11:45 PM
YES!

I found out they actually had done this, you can get it at muletracks.net

Gov't Mule
O'Shaughnessy Theatre
St. Paul, MN

The second set and encore was remixed by Warren Haynes and sound man Bruce "Slim" Judd.
The Gov't Mule Halloween Spectacular got underway with a moody Play With Fire and a hot Time To Confess. A Million Miles From Yesterday got the crowd singing along and the Rocking Horse that followed kept'em dancing. After a dark Larger Than Life, Fallen Down beautifully wound it's way into The Other One Jam. Danny, the guitar tech for Grace Potter was dressed as Farmer for Halloween and made the onstage guitar switch with Warren before the set ending Blind Man In The Dark. The second set of the night was a first for the band, crew and fans alike.The band, with the assistance of Audley Freed, played from cover to cover Led Zeppelin's Houses Of The Holy. From the opening track The Song Remains The Same to the album ending The Ocean, Gov't Mule put their signature stamp on this rock'n'roll classic album. With Audley onstage the whole set, the guitars were fat and crunchy, the bass driving, the keys rockin' and the drums thundering. At the end of the Zeppelin set, the crowds roaring cheers were deafening and brought the band and Audley back to deliver an encore worthy of the previous set. Come On Into My Kitchen segued into 32/20 Blues which teased Come On Into My Kitchen to end an unbelievable Halloween night.

DISC ONE

1) Play With Fire
2) Time To Confess
3) Million Miles From Yesterday
4) Rocking Horse
5) Birth of The Mule
6) Larger Than Life
7) Fallen Down>
8) The Other One Jam
9) Blind Man In The Dark

DISC TWO
The Holy Haunted House Set

1) The Song Remains The Same
2) The Rain Song
3) Over The Hills and Far Away
4) The Crunge
5) Dancing Days>
6) Drums
7) D'Yer Mak'er
8) No Quarter
9 )The Ocean
Encore
10) Come On Into My Kitchen>
11) 32/20 Blues

free audience recording here http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=510924

pak1351
08-14-2009, 07:26 AM
:cheers: thanks a lot man, I'll pick it up when I get home. I'm a little hesitant about the fact it was re-mixed, but we'll see. Maybe I'll compare it to the audience recording and see just how different they are.

pak1351
08-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Audience recording is dead, no seeders, but the mule track is pretty sweet. Also managed to get an audience recording of the Pittsburgh show I was at, the guy that recorded it was three rows behind me. Pretty cool.

pak1351
10-06-2009, 09:20 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/289636512/21_govtmule2009-08-04d02t12.wav

the encore of the pittsburgh show 'Goin' Out West' if anyone wants it. I really liked it (little quiet and bass-heavy, so some eqing might be necessary. Saved as a .wav file, so a little large as well) Just thought I'd bump with something of substance.

ready for the new album?

Shpongled
10-08-2009, 07:10 PM
The new album leaked, it's alright.

pak1351
10-08-2009, 07:38 PM
they haven't been the same since allen woody died. Jorgen's alright, still not quite the same, and I don't like Danny Louis in there. I pre-ordered, so haven't been looking for any leaks. My birthday is the 24th, so that's a present for myself

Shpongled
10-08-2009, 07:54 PM
My favorite track is Inside Outside Woman Blues #3, nothing else really stood out for me. It's not a bad album by any means but nothing extremely memorable.

Ramblin'_Man
10-18-2009, 03:35 PM
So, Gov't Mule is coming to Chicago on the 24th anyone going to that? Also, has anyone seen them lately, is it worth the money(as I don't have much) to go? And I can't wait for the new album!

pak1351
10-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Just got my album/shirt. Hell of a good birthday present. Please go see them, their ticket prices are reasonable and you'll enjoy it. Warren tore it up when I went, and the new bassist is the closest to allen woody I've seen yet.

Turned 21 the 24th. Hope you went

stratoclap
10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm going to the Toronto show tomorrow, pretty pumped

Ramblin'_Man
11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, I missed to show(sucks to be a poor college kid), but By a Thread is incredible! So that makes me feel at least a little better.

stratoclap
11-01-2009, 07:57 PM
yeah I wasn't big on By a Thread from the first listen, but after a few it really grew on me. Their version of Railroad Boy is absolutely badass and I'm glad that Warren put Forevermore onto a studio cd.

Sly Taco
12-08-2009, 11:59 PM
This album is growing on me with every listen. Sonic badassery

aig91
12-12-2009, 02:48 PM
It is a great album. I've become very fond of it with every listen, too.

TNfootballfan62
12-16-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm going to see them for the second time in January. :D

aig91
12-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Very awesome. Tell us how the show is!

I might have a chance to see them in February.

TNfootballfan62
12-17-2009, 01:47 PM
If you haven't seen them live before, you must go. They put on a great show.

Jazz Funeral
12-25-2009, 03:16 AM
Yes, see them live. They're tight, powerful, and dripping with class. I've seen them five times now. One of those times was in Madison, the night before they did the Holy Haunted House thing in Minnesota, it was one of my favorite concerts. Also, if ya didn't know, they pick some great songs to cover.

TNfootballfan62
01-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Warren Haynes singing Otis Redding...without a guitar. :wtf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfcAL4eRUnA&feature=related

TNfootballfan62
01-29-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm going to see them for the second time in January. :D

I wasn't lying. I went to see them. They were great. :dance:

Maddogz
01-31-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm seeing the Mule at Wanee this April hopefully and at Summercamp. I'm so pumped

TNfootballfan62
01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Wanee looks like an amazing festival. I'd love to make it down there.

Jazz Funeral
02-01-2010, 03:01 AM
My Old Man and I ordered our Wanee tickets a week ago. After Wakarusa last year, we were gonna maybe skip out on the festival scene this year. Once I saw the line-up for Wanee it was easy to change my mind. It's reasonably priced, and the VIP package has some nice benefits. Anyhow, this is gonna be the sixth time now that I've seen Gov't Mule, maybe the seventh as they'll be in Milwaukee this upcoming week. Also, shows number nineteen and twenty for Widespread Panic; and third and fourth for The Allman Brothers. Man, Johnny Winter is gonna be there, Stephen Stills, I didn't think I'd ever see either of those two. It's gonna be solid as hell.

I'm looking forward to seeing Georgia and Florida too, I haven't been through those states before.

TNfootballfan62
02-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Make sure you guys check out Susan Tedeschi w/ Trucks, The Black Keys, The North Mississippi Allstars, and JJ Grey and Mofro for me.

I'd kill to be there with you guys.

Also, Jazz Funeral, Gov't Mule has had some cool guests on this tour, so I'd suggest checking them out this week. :cheers:

Jazz Funeral
02-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I'll be seeing all of those too, TN. I've actually seen all the artists you mentioned there. I saw Trucks' and Tedeschi's Soul Stew Revival at Rothbury in '08, that was great. I've seen Mofro twice now, once in Kansas, and once in Arkansas. Those were both Wakarusa festivals, '07 and '09 respectively. Mofro is such a great band to see live, JJ Grey sings and plays with so much soul. Saw the Black Keys at Rothbury, nice stripped-down ruckus. I also saw The North Mississippi Allstars at Wakarusa twice. A keyboardist sat in with them the one night, and I'm tellin' you man, they were a completely different band that night. And it wasn't just a change of band dynamics, I mean they just sounded like a completely different band. It was killer. I saw them open up for John Hiatt at Summerfest in Milwaukee, and after their set, they were Hiatt's backing band. Aptly so, because they played the same role on the studio album that Hiatt was touring behind at the time.

You sure you can't score a ticket? Who's been playing with Mule? Rob Barraco? Ron Hathaway? Audley Freed? Marc Ford? I saw a picture of Jackie Greene playing at Warren's Christmas Jam, that would be pretty sweet, too. **** it, I'm getting on mule.net right now.

TNfootballfan62
02-02-2010, 12:00 AM
I just don't have the time, being in school and all.

But at the show I was at, it was Audley Freed. The next night in Cincinnati, it was Peter Frampton.

Jazz Funeral
02-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Damn, that must've been nice. Audley Freed can rip it pretty good. Not too familiar with the guy, but I've heard some Cry Of Love that was pretty good. He was with the Black Crowes too when they recorded Live at the Greek with Jimmy Page, that's a good one to have. I read somebody refering to him as a "tone guru". A brain I'd like to pick...

As far as your school goes, that's gotta be damn close to spring break. Either way, there'll be other festivals.

Oh, and visiting mule.net, I wound up downloading the Philadelphia show from 10-31-09. Rolling Stones covers for the first half of the show, all accomponied by Jackie Geene, as well as some of their new tunes, Brighter Days, and Blindman in the Dark. I'm listening to it now and I just heard 'em do Ventilator Blues. Diggin' the raunchy slide...

TNfootballfan62
02-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Very nice! I'm waiting on the show in Nashville that I was at last thursday to come out, and I'll buy it when it does.

Jazz Funeral
02-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Tomorrow maybe? It looks like the show from the 27th is the latest addition.

Edit: Ooh, the Blindman in the Dark in this show is 24 minutes long, and features some hard jazzy shit like from the Deepest End concert with Karl Denson. Only, more jazzy(makes me think of Zappa's Big Swifty), and the sax comes courtesy of a guy named Steve Elson. Never heard of him, but he sounds good.

Jazz Funeral
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Went to the Milwaukee show last night, no guests. Just pure, unadulterated Mule in all it's unbridled glory. The only cover they did was "She Said, She Said". They did "Far Away", "Birth of the Mule", "Broke Down on the Brazos", "Left Coast Groovies" (Man, did I love that), "Time to Confess", "Blindman in the Dark", "Brighter Days"...

I'm glad I went, I took two of my buddies along who've never seen them before. They loved it.

Long live the Mule.

TNfootballfan62
02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Very nice. I also took two friends who had never seen Gov't Mule before. They played some really cool covers at the Nashville show, on top of the usual roundup from By A Thread. They covered the Doors, the Beatles, and played Cortez the Killer as the encore.

Jazz Funeral
02-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Just looked at the setlist for the Nashville show (it's available now on Mule Tracks). I see they covered Ventilator Blues with Audley Freed, that must've been something to see. Does Audley play any slide? I've heard Widespread Panic do "Maggot Brain" a number of times, I'd love to hear Mule cover it too. "The Shape I'm In" would be a nice treat too. As if their own material wasn't cool enough, Warren and the boys always pick some killer songs to cover.

TNfootballfan62
02-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I downloaded it the day it come out. :D

Ventilator Blues and The Shape I'm In were both awesome. Freed didn't play any slide, though. Warren Haynes, whether by himself or with Mule, always does some great covers. He can take a song from a band that I don't particularly like, and make it great.

Jazz Funeral
02-05-2010, 01:01 AM
U2's "One"? Maybe Radiohead's "Creep"? The Eagles' "Wasted Time"?

TNfootballfan62
02-05-2010, 01:10 AM
You read my mind. You must have "Live at Bannaroo" too. :p:

U2 and Radiohead are good examples. I actually love the original "Wasted Time."

Jazz Funeral
02-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Actually, it's my dad that has the "Live at Bonnaroo" album. I do, however, have "The Lone EP". There's an acoustic version of the Allman Brothers' "End of the Line" on there that gives me chills.

I've heard that they'll cover "Eminence Front", I'd love to see that. I've seen them do "Can't You See", "Staring at Empty Pages", "Hunger Strike", "Into the Mystic", "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and a number of others that I'm sure I was too drunk to remember...

TNfootballfan62
02-05-2010, 01:28 AM
I've got the Lone EP, too. They're both very good. End of the Line is amazing. Warren Haynes with an acoustic guitar is almost always a good thing.

Jazz Funeral
02-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Agreed. Have you seen the "Old Friend" video that was a bonus on Disc 2 of the Allman Brothers Beacon DVD? It's just Warren and Derek backstage with acoustics and slides. It's in Open C tuning, I messed around with it once and had the verse part down alright but I wound up getting lost in the odd tuning...

TNfootballfan62
02-05-2010, 01:51 AM
I've seen it on youtube. That's one of my favorite videos.

Jazz Funeral
02-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Do you know what kind of guitar Derek is playing? There's an understated beauty in it's appearance, and I have no idea what make it is.

TNfootballfan62
02-05-2010, 01:59 AM
It's an Alvarez Yairi, if my memory serves me.

Jazz Funeral
02-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Just checked Musician's Friend. There's a Yairi with a Koa top that looks right.

TNfootballfan62
08-02-2010, 11:51 PM
I saw Gov't Mule again in Memphis two weeks ago. Again, a great show. This time, it was filled with Beatles/John Lennon covers on top of the normal By A Thread and blues tracks.
And they finally played Thorazine Shuffle and Mule live, for me. I couldn't ask for anything more. :D

Jazz Funeral
08-03-2010, 01:15 PM
^^The first time you heard "Mule" live, huh? Not to rub your nose in it, but they've played that almost every time I've seen 'em. Right on though man. :cheers: I've gotten Thorazine a few times too. This last February I got the "Birth of the Mule" that I'd been waiting for. I love that shit...

I don't know if you're familiar with Widespread Panic, but I didn't hear the "Radio Child" that I wanted until my eighteenth show.

TNfootballfan62
08-03-2010, 07:38 PM
:haha Yeah, I saw about half of a widespread panic show when they were touring with the Allman Brothers. I never really got into them, for whatever reason.

Jazz Funeral
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
^ Panic is one of my favorites, I can hit you with some recommendations if you're interested.

Back to Mule though, I got Mulennium in the mail yesterday. For those who don't know, they released their New Year's show from 12-31-99. The first set is mostly Gov't Mule material, and then the show opens up into a slew of covers and songs that they had recently recorded with Little Milton (Little Milton takes the stage with them). They are also joined onstage by Audley Freed and eventually a few guys from Blueground Undergrass. It's a kickass album, and if you miss Allen Woody you should check it out. Oh, and did I mention it's three discs for the price of one?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51L9jNpXd3L.jpg

TNfootballfan62
08-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Shit. That's out? I preordered the download...

Jazz Funeral
08-07-2010, 04:30 PM
^ The "Blindman In The Dark" is great.

Also, we're the only two to post in here since last February. WTF? You'd think there'd be more Warren Haynes love in a guitar forum...

EDIT: Yeah, since Post #123 on the 31st of January...

TNfootballfan62
08-07-2010, 11:45 PM
First off, this is an awesome CD. I'm happy I spring for the preorder to get the bonus tracks. And blindman in the dark is great.

And yeah... The blues and jazz forum in general is really slow. I'm surprised this thread doesn't get a bit more action from the regulars around here, though.

TNfootballfan62
10-22-2010, 08:22 PM
This is worth a double post and necro bump:

Debuting at Warren Haynes' Christmas Jam this year is The Warren Haynes Band. The band will consist of:
George Porter Jr. on bass
Ivan Neville on keys
Raymond Weber on drums
Ian McLagan on keys
Ruthie Foster as a vocalist
Ron Holloway on sax

Jazz Funeral
10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Hmm... Interesting. That's a pretty serious line-up, though I have to admit that I don't know who Raymond Weber or Ruthie Foster are. I'm assuming that Warren is going for more of the R&B/Soul thing, like Tales of Ordinary Madness.

What the hell is he gonna do with two monster keyboardists? Maybe one of 'em will be playing a Hammond?

TNfootballfan62
10-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I've read that this will be a Soul band, so good call, there.

And I'm not sure what the deal with two keyboardists is. Maybe Ivan Neville is the main guy and Ian McLagan will be making a guest appearance or vice versa. You know how Warren Haynes bands are with guests, etc.

I'll be really interested to hear this band. I hope I get a chance to go to the Christmas Jam.

Shpongled
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
I heard that's the xmas jam is expected to sell out so I'd get your tickets now if you're trying to go. I picked mine up on Saturday when they went on sale just to be safe.

Jazz Funeral
10-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd love to go to one of the Christmas Jams, but I'm way out in Wisconsin. It's either I'm working and don't have enough vacation, or laid-off (stupid recession) and don't have enough money.

*laments cruel world*

EDIT: In fact, there are a lot of things going on down South that I'd love to see. Bloodkin, Randall Bramblett, Tishamingo, Capt. Soularcat... They don't bother to come up here because no one knows who they are.

TNfootballfan62
10-29-2010, 12:57 AM
Come on down, when you get the chance. I'll buy you a drink. :p:

Jazz Funeral
10-29-2010, 01:51 AM
The next time I'm in Tennessee, I'll take you up on that. :cheers:

Beautiful state, by the way. Though, most of what I've seen was from the Interstate. The whole stretch from Monteagle to Chattanooga is especially pretty.

OT, did you know that Warren recorded an album with this same Soul Band? I just read an article about this in Relix magazine. It seems they recorded it at Willie's place right after By A Thread with Gordie Johnson still on the production end. They changed a bunch of equipment around so that they were using all vintage stuff; right down to the mixing board and even the tape console that runs at fewer RPM's. They really wanted to capture that old sound. Warren even borrowed some vintage ES-335's and other old Gibson hollowbodies to help make it all the more authentic. I thought that was odd because I think he has a serious collection of guitars as it is.

Anyhow, it's supposed to be released early next year.

Oh, and I found out that Raymond Weber is the drummer for Ivan's Dumpstaphunk.

TNfootballfan62
10-29-2010, 01:56 AM
It is odd that Warren borrowed old guitars. I've seen videos of his tech talking about Warren's favorite vintage 335s.

I'm also absolutely pumped about this album. I knew they were going to release one, but I didn't know it was already done. Wow.

Jazz Funeral
10-29-2010, 02:35 AM
I think I saw that same video. Good old Farmer was showing that old red ES-335 and hitting some of the finer points of Warren's rig, right? I think that was lumped in with some behind the scenes video from the recording of By A Thread IIRC. I got a kick out of all of the "Don't Fuck With Farmer" signs too.

TNfootballfan62
10-29-2010, 02:52 AM
That's the video. Have you noticed his rack of guitars just offstage during Mule shows? I'd love to have just one of those Pauls or 335s. :o

Jazz Funeral
10-29-2010, 09:50 AM
I agree, I do have a Gibson LP, but I'd gladly take another. The one that seems to really leap out of that rack is that 12-string Les Paul of his. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

TNfootballfan62
10-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah, he's the only person I've ever seen use a 12-string Les Paul, so they look a little odd at first.