Good bass fills?

PDA

View Full Version : Good bass fills?

Trowa21
04-10-2008, 08:24 PM
anyone can give me some suggestions on improving my bass fills.
right now my fills sound repetitive, i play for my church and we play off chords, so i know to play the chord notes but what else can i do? like spice it up, right now i just stick to roots, fifths and octaves and thirds(b3 for minors) and such. can anyone give me examples of songs to improve my fills im not looking into slapping and popping fills so keep it simple =)

thanks

Weenum
04-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Use some chromatics if the roots aren't very far from each other.

t3hrav3n
04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Leading tones, 2nds, chromatic, blues, and jazz scales, walking, bending, hammer-offs, harmonics, anything you can think of and make fit, do it. I'm making more use of harmonics and leading tones in my church playing.

moffshiggits
04-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Not intending to hijack the thread, but what is the short definition of a leading tone?

t3hrav3n
04-10-2008, 09:06 PM
My understanding of a leading tone is the note just under the octave in a key. Say you're in the key of C, the 11th of that is the leading tone, which is a B.

It's like you're going up a one octave scale, you're about done, you play the leading tone and your ear really wants to hear the next note, which is the octave C.

EDIT: TS, just use any interval you want to spice it up. Fourths, fifths, thirds, seconds, elevenths, anything. Just make it tasteful and make sure it adds to the music.

moffshiggits
04-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Alright thanks that makes sense.

to_the_grave
04-11-2008, 05:48 AM
:D Whats really cool is if you can use three or more leading tones as a fill. Ive only sat down and worked it out recently, but you can use it really effectively even when the notes are close together. Lead to the note an octave up and then drop back down an octave for the next root note.

Trowa21
04-11-2008, 07:13 AM
hmm i kinda get what you guys are saying about leading tone but can you explain more or better yet tab out an example =) thanks for all the help

rg321mh
04-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Actaully as I am rhythm guitar player ,I'd say There is no actaully rules to fill ,and it means you have to listen many fills and try it

I suggest you listening "anberlin" "Saosin" ect.. Actaully I don't know many bands that are good at fills..

but If your rhythm guitar isn't good at filling then you could play like rhythm guitar (fills)
but you gotta be carefull if you play with good rhythm guitar
because I think rhythm guitar's fill and bass' fill are different
sometimes there are parts that only bass can fill or rhythm guitar only

Hammerzeit
04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Iron Maiden. Listen to Number of the Beast (album or song, you choose) and listen to the bass.