progressive melodic metal (finished after a year)

PDA

View Full Version : progressive melodic metal (finished after a year)

~DrEaM ThEaTeR~
04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
took me quite a while to write this, had writers block forever.

what do you guys think? and where does there need to be improvements?

(btw the bends in the midi version sound like **** and arent right, the gp5 version sounds correct though)

drums are kinda basic, not a drummer myself

michal23
04-11-2008, 04:18 PM
took me quite a while to write this, had writers block forever.

what do you guys think? and where does there need to be improvements?

(btw the bends in the midi version sound like **** and arent right, the gp5 version sounds correct though)

drums are kinda basic, not a drummer myself

I quite like this. I very much like the intro riff and it's harmony, but the rhythm guitar could be spiced up a little more maybe? Also if you added some bass and synth-strings I think it would make it sound a lot better. I also dislike the riff you have between bars 31 and 34.

I however love the acoustic section and what seems like a mini solo after it. I once again dislike the pedal note riffs that you use afterwards, as they seem to me to have been done to death in modern music.

So yeah, overall I think you should add bass and strings to add depth and replace the pedal note riffs. Other than that, I very much love it =]

Crit mine?
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835310
:cheers:

Daemos
04-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Hmm this is a good effort... I couldn't see the proper fretting because I'm on gp 5.0 so I had to use the midi. The intro sounded nice, reminded me of Bed of Razors quite a bit. I agree about the rhythm, you could spice it up a little, it's up to you how you do that. I liked the little solo it added something extra to the song. Maybe you could try and fit a full one in somewhere although as I'm not sure where, perhaps that's best left as is!

Keep trying, this was good but could do with a little bit more work to give it more of a feel of direction. Please crit mine if you get the time, it's the one in my sig!

x

alexruimy
04-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Not bad. Ms 40-47 should be in 6/8. Listen to the melody.

I don't love the chord progression for what's effectively the chorus. Changes come too quick imo.

ms5-8 is excellent.

def needs bass.

MarchOfEternity
04-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Great song there. The overall song is good, but I especially like the acoustic part there, it's perfect and give a calming feel to the song's overall tone. I also like the intro / main riff, it's kinda catchy. But I think measure 32-35 was unnecessary, the pedal point there is kinda meh, and those measures killed the build up for the acoustic part. I would just put the acoustic part right after the solo ends. Another thing you could improve is the rhythm guitar, especially on the chord chugging part, as it gets boring fast. Try experimenting with rests and accentuation, as they can do wonders. Oh, and is this song finished? Because if it is, I don't quite like the ending there, as it kinda hangs there, and leave the feeling of not being complete, but you could improve it with a better outro technique.

Anyway, overall it's a good song. 7.5-8 from me, can't really decide there. Crit mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831174