Recommend me some Slide Songs

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some Slide Songs

JaykeSucks
04-12-2008, 12:19 AM
For my upcoming solo test (which is being recorded, so I'll have clips) I need to pick two songs that are of different genres.
First song I'm doing is Technical Difficulties by Racer X, and I would like to do a nice short slide piece. It doesn't have to be by a famous band, it can just be a nice piece out of a guitar lesson book.
If you could just recommend me a nice slide guitar piece.

Thanks,
Jayke

ze monsta
04-12-2008, 05:26 AM
My number one choice would be Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground by Blind Willie Johnson. Great slide playing, haunting song.

Ever heard of Tampa Red? Look him up, he was awesome as well.

imgooley
04-12-2008, 05:30 AM
D Minor Blues by Derek Trucks.

How long does the song have to be and what level of difficulty?

JaykeSucks
04-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Doesn't need to be too insane complex.
Just something that sounds nice.
I've got the complex and technical side of things covered (Technical Difficulties) so now I need some nice smooth blues.
Derek Trucks and Blind Willie Johnson are great slide guitarists, I'll definitely look into those songs.

Thanks,
Jayke

imgooley
04-12-2008, 07:05 AM
If that be the case, try Smokestack Lightning and Red Rooster by Howlin Wolf.

JaykeSucks
04-12-2008, 08:05 AM
If that be the case, try Smokestack Lightning and Red Rooster by Howlin Wolf.
Red Rooster I was going to do, but I decided not to, as I was going to learn something by the Allman Brothers.
But then I changed my mind again, so I consulted UG, and, here I am :D

Thanks your help,
Jayke

ze monsta
04-12-2008, 11:34 AM
No problem. What about Ry Cooder?

JaykeSucks
04-12-2008, 08:32 PM
I might look into Ry Cooder too.
So far, the main contenders are Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground by Blind Willie Johnson, Pickapart by John Butler, Statesboro Blues by The Allman Brothers Band and Smokestack Lightning.

-Jayke

Grand Wazoo
04-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Walkin' Blues by Robert Johnson is an amazing slide piece and it's really good for extended improvisations.

Statesboro Blues by Blind Willie Johnson is another great one, as is anything by Duane Allman.

ze monsta
04-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Walkin' Blues by Robert Johnson is an amazing slide piece and it's really good for extended improvisations.

Statesboro Blues by Blind Willie Johnson is another great one, as is anything by Duane Allman.
I think Walking Blues is a bad choice, as it's orientated around the vocals.

Have ever heard Statesboro Blues? it's not played with a slide...and it's by Blind Willie McTell, not Blind Willie Johnson.
Lots of stuff by Blind Willie McTell would be great, but he doesn't play slide on every song like Blind Willie Johnson does.

I'd say, Dying Gambler by Blind Willie McTell is a great slide song, but again is very orientated on vocals. As with most of his songs, but it has some incredible slide licks in it, but you'll have to work it out yourself...

imgooley
04-13-2008, 05:19 PM
I might look into Ry Cooder too.
So far, the main contenders are Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground by Blind Willie Johnson, Pickapart by John Butler, Statesboro Blues by The Allman Brothers Band and Smokestack Lightning.

-Jayke
Have you heard the Gov't Mule version of Smokestack Lightnin? It is completely open for improv and personal interpretation, which makes it as easy or difficult as you want it to be.

5kuzgib
04-14-2008, 06:00 PM
ABB version of Statesboro Blues. Awesome.

gopherthegreat
04-14-2008, 08:34 PM
i second dark was the night, cold was the ground. blind willie johnson is my favorite delta bluesmen by far.

[charlie_j]
04-15-2008, 11:12 AM
the intro of waves by guthrie govan

sflorick
04-15-2008, 11:35 AM
how about slide thing by stevie ray? amazing piece right there.

ze monsta
04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Delta Slide > Anything thing else. Ever.

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Eh, Gus, I disagree. They did invent it, but give me some Chicago slide or Memphis slide or Juke Joint slide, and I will be elated.

ze monsta
04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Memphis is in the delta isn't it?

What dyou classify as Memphis slide, Goolz, and what's Juke Joint Slide? Clearly it's played in Juke joints, but any one you can call such a player of blues?

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Junior Kimbrough is Juke Joint blues.

Memphis is not in the delta. When I think of Memphis blues, I think of Old Wolf, and Big Mama Thornton.

sLaShRoCks1314
04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
+1 for Slide thing- SRV
that song is jsut pure awesomeness, i like how he yells in the middle of it somewhere while he's playing