Buried and Breathing (gpro 5/4/midi) Metal?

PDA

View Full Version : Buried and Breathing (gpro 5/4/midi) Metal?

Valo
04-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey guys, this is my second song posted here, haha - I know its incomplete; I don't know if im gunna finish it, I wrote it in about 30 minutes; if I can think of more **** for it, i'll prolly complete it; but please; I'd really like some constructive criticism becuase everyone who composes on this site is bloody amazing.

So, here it is Buried and Breathing - Melodic Death Metal? Melo-Thrash? Metalcore? whatever the **** genre it is, haha.

Headbanger_1
04-13-2008, 04:29 PM
the prechorus and intro sound almost exactly the same as F(r)iend from In Flames. Especially the prechorus. You might wanna change that. otherwise good.

Valo
04-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Holy **** man, Your right!

Guess i've been listening to much of in flames lately.
good catch man!

Headbanger_1
04-13-2008, 04:53 PM
ha, no prob. we all do it.

Ailes
04-13-2008, 05:51 PM
serras, the In Flames is quite obvious. If you still want to keep it, it'd need some major rework. If you like the rhythm and want to keep it, then at least change the melody lead; or if you want to keep the melody, then at least change the rhythm.

Personally I found the 8th-note triplets in the later verses unnecessary, a normal 16th gallop piece instead would suffice - or make the whole riff triplet-based instead ?

Valo
04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, ima prolly rework this alot, try and make it not sound so in flamesy, haha.

But, the normal 16th gallop, wouldn't it just be a very fast jumble then?
correct me if I'm wrong, haha.

Ailes
04-13-2008, 07:51 PM
sure. When I say remodeling those triplets into 16th gallops, I meant gallop-packages as in the intro. See the GP attachement to get a taste of what it -might- sound like

Valo
04-13-2008, 08:17 PM
holy crap man, you turned that song around completely!
it was awesome!

I wish I was as good as creating music like you man!

Ailes
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
serr, I basically just switched the triplets to 16th gallops in just two of the riffs, and a few fills here and there, no biggie. (If I were to approach this seriously, I'd spent way more time finetuning and tweaking (and subsequently getting nothing finally done, but that's another story))

You are good at making music, I dig the original recorded songs of your band . But yes, then again, and no offense intended, somehow that doesn't really translate back into the tabs.
Maybe that's just the Midi-effect talking, who knows (re: the midi-effect is what I call the observation that sometimes stuff can sound/look really boring in tab but work really well in an original recording. Take for example 'Seven Nation Army', in GP it'd look/sound rather unimpressive, yet somehow it really works well live)

May I ask, which of the guitarists in the band are you, and are you the primary songwriter ? (ie. is the fact that I like the recorded songs of yours more than your tabs due to the fact that you write the tabs alone and the other songs with the bandmembers ? If that's the case, you might want to have a stronger band participation in the tab songwriting process?)

Valo
04-13-2008, 08:43 PM
This song wasn't really meant to be one of my bands songs. It was made purely out of writing something.

And to answer your question:
Our song writing process is that i'll write the main parts of the song, and usually the bassist will help me out, both of us i'd say, are the primary writers, and then we bring in the tunes to the band and we just look over em, and change things around, move parts and basically re-work them.

and since i'm fairly new to guitar pro, I'm not very good with the program. I can't get the riffs to sound exactly how i play them, but I have all the songs on Gpro that we recorded.

Ailes
04-13-2008, 09:00 PM
-This song wasn't really meant to be one of my bands songs.-

this was why I asked who your primary songwriter in the band was, since I liked the band's songs.

If you're new to GP and all, I might suggest a different songwriting approach. Usually as a guitarist a new song starts with a riff-idea, of course, and you'll be tempted to tab this first. But try not to, instead, first of all lay down nothing but the drumbeat first (just the quick basic type of pattern you want to have playing under your riff), then loop it and jam over it with your guitar riff. Repeat it often enough so that you have it well down which notes come where in time (also make use of the speed slowdown button for that), so that WHEN you finally tab it, it sounds exactly like you envisioned it.

It'd be very cool to hear/see the tabs of your band's songs

Valo
04-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the advice man, I'll try it when i'm next writing, or if I can somehow think of something to re-work and change this song all up!

I'll probably getting around posting my band songs here sometime soon, just for you!
haha.